Advice/Perspective/Help Needed (Not about players)

BelfastHawk

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I could really do with a hand on this one. We - some Brit fantasy fans - started playing in a league of our own last year. One of our members is more with us because he is an old friend rather than a big NFL fan. Still it was a way for a group of mates to keep in touch, so it wasn't going to be a problem if her wasn't the most active owner etc.

So I wake up and my best friend has persuaded the non active owner who has a very limited knowledge of the game to give him Marshawn Lynch for Terrelle Prior and Maurice J-D.

I rejected the trade on the grounds that it is sickeningly unfair and so did a few others but it was still passed. Am I right to be really disappointed in my best friend (who is very knowledgable about the game) or should I just get over it? Also, in the leagues you guys play in do trades ever get rejected just for being so unfair? I know he will have dazzled my less able friend with stats and flash words but he knew what he was doing.

Sorry for bringing a personal issue to a fun place. That's the thing though, this is meant to be a bit of fun and has now completely soured it for me.

Thanks all

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Is your best friend known for being a cheat and a prat? If so, then why is he (she?) your best friend.

If not, then while the trade is balanced towards the Lynch side, Prior has done pretty well in FF and MJD could be good if he was healthy. Either way, it's not sickeningly unfair so much as the type of advantage you should've taken first.

LargentFan

Reaction score
It's called "trade rape" and it's the oldest trick in the book when it comes to Fantasy Football.
The first question you should ask yourself is, "Why am I upset?"
If the answer is that you are upset because you wish you had thought of doing it, then be honest with yourself and suck it up.
If the answer is that you are upset because it is unfair to the whole league and that isn't right, then you should take action to get your league rules changed. It is too late to get the trade reversed, but you could setup an option for the commissioner of the league to be the only one who can approve or disapprove trades. This person will need to be trustworthy and respected by everyone in the league and he/she must never abuse their power. Not even once.
The league I run is full of veterans, but we do get the occasional drop-out and a veritable rookie replaces them. Attempted trade rape happens just about every time, but I look closely at every trade involving a new player and I have no problem stopping a trade that I see as unfair. Veteran players, however, I let make more questionable decisions. If a guy who has played for 8 years gets trade raped, he has no one to blame but himself.

All of that said, I recently traded away Ryan Fitzpatrick for Hakeem Nicks in my work league.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Depends on the nature of the league. If it's a casual league, just a bunch of friends, no monetary rewards for the winner, etc.; then it's not that big of a deal, though it would still annoy me. If the winner gets anything for winning, (money/prize/whatever) then that's REALLY uncool and you should for the trade to be null, call a vote and make them trade their players back, or something.

It depends, I guess, is what I'm saying. I'd never do that to anyone personally, but I'm all about relatively fair competition. I certainly don't feel satisfied winning anything with cheat codes.

OP
OP
B

BelfastHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys.

It is a non monetary league, but in a funny way that makes it almost worse, to me anyway. Why do you want to win so badly, that you are prepared to rape a footballing neophyte to do so?

My issue most definitely stems from the fact that I think it is unfair as opposed to not taking advantage myself. In fact, I thought to myself how much I would like Marshawn and thought about potentially packaging Ridley to get him and just sweet talking my mate/taking advantage of him. But I dismissed it after a few seconds, thinking, "no, that would make me a dickhe@d".

I like the idea of a commissioner having a veto, the trouble is the man I would pick for the job is the man who did the trade!

Oh well, thanks for the comments. Food for thought and reassurance that I wasn't being a complete idiot.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
There should be no such thing as trade vetoes unless there's obvious collusion. This is not one of those times.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HAWKAMANIA":3ck9purc said:
There should be no such thing as trade vetoes unless there's obvious collusion. This is not one of those times.

Do you also support coercing mentally ill people out of their money and belongings too, as long as you manage to somehow do it within the law?

Trade vetoes are exactly for things like this, taking advantage of someone who doesn't know better.