Belated NBA 2K13 Stuff

TravTex

Reaction score
Did we not do a NBA 2K13 thread? Usually Kyle and I are ON this.

Anyway, the Finals rekindled my interest in building a Post-Duncan era Spurs association. As usual, I completely scrapped that idea and went with an attempt to build up the absolute crappiest team in the league.

SO, after a frenzy of trades and tweaks, your 2013 Charlotte Bobcats looks something like this...

Starting Five

PG: Ramon Sessions ( Won't be long 'til Kemba takes his job, but for the moment Sessions is more efficient and less prone to turning the ball over while trying to make something happen. )

SG: Iman Shumpert ( Not a big producer, but the guy's defense is just insane. Numbers don't really convey his value to the lineup. HOPEFULLY we can keep him once his contract is up. )

SF: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist ( A theme develops. Another guy who is stronger on the defensive side of the court. Playing with him kind of reminds me of Kawhi Leonard. )

PF: Patrick Patterson ( High potential, needs some development. In the role he's been forced into with this weak roster, he's putting up about 16ppg. )

C : Tyson Chandler ( The Bobcats, under new management, go and get Tyson back. Only guy with lot of experience out there, makes the overall Defense of the starting 5 smothering. )

#6: Kemba Walker, PG/SG ( Heir apparent to the starting PG job, but serves better here right now. Can go all-out scoring in this role and not worry so much about being a pure point guard. )

#7: Ryan Anderson, PF ( A wildly-overpaid role player, but it's not like we're bumping the cap just yet. Great role player to have, just not worth 8 million a year. )

#8: Byron Mullens, C ( 7 footer with a solid mid-ranger. Streaky. Hard to keep, hard to get rid of. )

(Some other guys... )

At the moment, we're 5-7. When the team is on, it's actually a pretty slow and boring game... The defense just locks down on teams and we veeerry sloooowly expand a lead. When it's off, it's all sorts of ugy. Pretty versatile team so far, actually. Coach has to GO at the end of the year, and we've got two first rounders for 2014... scouting Chandler's eventual replacement, hopefully. Also could use a 2/3 scorer.

Snohomie

Reaction score
Somehow we dropped the ball. I was REALLY slow to warm to this year’s version, so that might be part of it. Now that I’ve played for a while it is fun, but I had to play with sliders a bit because 3s and long 2s were way too easy. I spent most of this year building the Seattle Sonics off the Sacramento Kings roster (to the point where if I see Cousins lollygagging on help D one more time I will probably explode). I got bored of that so I am now doing MyCareer with a SF on the Celtics – early in my 3rd year (two straight bottom-5 finishes), I am slowly winning control of the team from Rondo. The Rondo/Avery backcourt is just awful on offense, even with my guy being a sweet shooting lockdown D type.

Honestly, Trav I LOVE that roster in terms of a cheap-low-expectations roster. Shumpert and MKG are on my “teams don’t value these guys enough” list because they are way more effective than you’d think. Patterson and Chandler are two bigs I really like as well.

Aside from the suffocating defense, if you put in Kemba you have a brutally effective fast break (Shumpert and Kemba can both run the floor or drift for an open 3, Kidd-Gilchrist is just a finish-at-the-rim guy for now) with 2 bigs that can run and one that can shoot 3s as well. Your pick and pop game would be deadly as well (BTW, I had Anderson on my team for a few years and the pick and pop with him singlehandedly won me a championship. He’d get 15pts in 15 minutes against teams that collapsed inside on me, rode that through the playoffs), and obviously you can defend. Only real weakness (with Kemba… I hate Sessions) is the post offense, and that isn’t vital in this game (although, with the Kings/Sonics, I built Cousins’ post game and that worked well).

OP
OP
TravTex

TravTex

Reaction score
I've had some admittedly weird success in the low post with my smaller guys. I let the coach call plays, and it's been surprising how often I would look up and see, say, Sessions hanging out in the low post... Toss the ball to him, act like he's trying to back down, then just do one of those quick spins toward the baseline for an under the rim layup. Boom, points, foul, or both.

Patterson can be effective in spurts down low, but we do have problems against teams with study defensive bigs (But who doesn't?)

Took me a while to get into this year's version, too, but I'm starting to sink a ton of time into it. Like how the roster is built, but there's going to be major patience test growing pains till some guys start reaching their potential. I'm planning on playing about 25% of the games so that should help some with my roster ADD.

OP
OP
TravTex

TravTex

Reaction score
Best season one could expect with that roster. 8 seed with a win over Cleveland in game 82 of the season. Kemba got 6th man of the year, so decent slot for him.

Travcats actually gave the Nets a run for it in the first round, losing game six by 6.

Renewed everyone, losing a couple of scrubs and bringing in Chase Budinger for depth. Nothing useful from the draft. Kemba switches roles with Dragic and we're off to year two with some new coaches. Been trying to improve Shumpert and Kidd-gilchrist with the jumper, working with Patterson in the post. Defense is ranked 8th in the preseason.

Snohomie

Reaction score
I started a terrible franchise other than the Kings, sounded like fun.

I took the Raptors, moved them to Seattle, moved OKC to the East, and put the Sonics back in the NW division. This allows the possibility of a SEA-OKC finals.

I wanted to create a future star, so I made a 6'0 PG (I've always felt like height made CP3 far less valuable in 2k than in real life) who would be a bit like Iverson in ability. So I traded Lowry for him to keep things fair (PG started the season 74ovr with 84 potential). 29 game season, I simmed almost the entire season (I always sim the 1st half, we were like 12-3 at the break and then lost something like 9 of 11 before I stopped simming) before playing the Lakers. Egads! My team has 5 starters who can't play D against a good offense. And that didn't really change on the bench. Kobe went insane and scored 44 points efficiently despite Seattle throwing a ton of different looks at him. My PG went for 38 and 10 (I was ball-hogging a lot, but efficiently) but in a game where every run was matched with another run, we lost by 4 points due to me stupidly not turning off computer subs. So we're now 9th for a playoff seed with only 2 games remaining... *gulp*. This team can run as well as anyone, and shoot decently, but they are absolutely worthless on defense. Having fun, will be interesting to see if we make the playoffs.

Trav - do you feel like the computers makes adjustments between games in the playoffs? IMO, that's what makes the playoffs so fun, but I am not sure I believe the 2k AI is that bright (I always do NCAA tournament style playoffs).

OP
OP
TravTex

TravTex

Reaction score
I'm not sure. In game adjustments are fairly apparent, but seems like it would be hard to implement over the course of a season. Would be pretty cool, though. A system taking into account tendencies of players, coaches, who's hot... Tie it into the nba scouting effectiveness to make that dude more useful, etc.

Trying out a career with Giant Trav. Defensive small forward drafted by Houston. Built him up to be ridiculous on defense, decent on rebounding, and pretty solid in the post. Right now, he is kinda like an AK-47 with excellent defensive abilities. Over the first couple seasons he's hung out around 6 ppg, 6rpg, and 1 block.. Hovering around 24 minutes as sixth man.

Numbers aren't great, but I kinda like how the Rockets have been using me. Anyone matched up with the guy takes a nose dive on efficiency, and I've found myself put on every position.. Tony Parker, Kevin Love, whoever. It's like Houston's entire gameplan is just to put Trav on the scoring guy.

Houston has made some weird free agency decisions. Year Two, they're insane with guards. Kept Harding, signed JR Smith, got Lin, Brooks, and Jarrett Jack arguing for minutes at the point... Meanwhile Omer Asik remains unchallenged. Three games left in 2014, and we just got eliminated from the playoff hunt, Trav getting his first start (I would've kept starting Parsons for the offense).

OP
OP
TravTex

TravTex

Reaction score
My SF won sixth man of the year for a mediocre Rockets team. They apparently didn't do much of anything in free agency, still trotting out the plethora of guards for the new season. Before game one I asked about an extension. Got offered 5yr at 655vc per. Not knowing what that meant I rejected it.