Any suggestions on running a fantasy draft party

seahawks875

Reaction score
This year, I will be running my leagues draft in person at my house. I already have bought a draft board and have that set up, do you guys have any suggestions on how to run a successful draft?

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I do a potluck where the better your draft position, the more better the item you're required to bring.

In my 12-team league; Picks 1-4 Main (Large Pizza, Bucket of Chicken, Ribs), 5-8 Appetizer (Wings, Chicken Strips, etc) and 9-12 Drinks & Chips

As much of a pain as it is, bossing everyone and telling them exactly what they are in charge of is huge.

nategreat

Reaction score
sammyc521":28alwfqq said:
I do a potluck where the better your draft position, the more better the item you're required to bring.

In my 12-team league; Picks 1-4 Main (Large Pizza, Bucket of Chicken, Ribs), 5-8 Appetizer (Wings, Chicken Strips, etc) and 9-12 Drinks & Chips

As much of a pain as it is, bossing everyone and telling them exactly what they are in charge of is huge.

That's very smart, I like it!

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
The potluck idea is excellent.

Here's a couple practical things to consider:

1. A timer. People can get crazy indecisive without a clock and an enforceable consequence for going over time.

2. Scheduled breaks. Setting up a few 5-10 minute breathers will keep it fresh. Those who like their last-second research can catch up, others will take their smoke break, get snacks, refresh drinks, etc.

These are only important to the extent that time and people's schedules are a concern.

As for fun extras, if you're looking to make an extended event out of it you could do something like:

1. Sports trivia challenge. You can usually find trivia board games for a few bucks at thrift shops and you don't need all the pieces, just the question cards.

2. Feats of strength.

3. Skills challenges. Bean bag accuracy toss. Football accuracy throw. Darts. Hatchet throw. Set up a milk crate and get some whiffle golf balls; have people try to chip into the crate (golf clubs are cheap at thrift shops, too).

Have people bring white elephant type stuff for prizes, or the previous year's champ can supply them. Homemade iron-on t-shirts make great prizes.

Of course, the draft is the focus. Don't overplan. Any extras just depends on how much time, space, and people you're dealing with.

Subzero717

Reaction score
In the past we always reserved something somehere. That way everyone is responsible for their own.

If its tradition to hold it at someone's house the assigned items is cool as long as you aren't responsible for beer.