SimCity & Aliens: Colonial Marines

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Anybody getting the new SimCity or Aliens: Colonial Marines games? I've pre-ordered both. They look awesome. Aliens takes place 17 weeks after the events in James Cameron's Aliens film, and it's primarily at that same location as in the movie; they re-created it in the game, and they're using the actual sound files from Fox for a lot of the effects, so they'll sound identical to what's in the film. Talk about a nerdgasm.

[youtube]rQTxxCnMWJw[/youtube]

[youtube]1Hoe-XWNjd8[/youtube]

mech.romance

Reaction score
I plan on getting both. Definitely more excited for SimCity though. In fact, I still play Civilization V to this day. =)

JesterHawk

Reaction score
mech.romance":5ekwyplk said:
I plan on getting both. Definitely more excited for SimCity though. In fact, I still play Civilization V to this day. =)

Wow, Civ V, that's SO OLD. LOL.

I think I have one of these laying around somewhere...(minus the German)

images

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sigh. Aliens: Colonial Marines is a piece of excrement. The multiplayer is fairly fun, though aliens are weak compared to marines; but the single player campaign thus far (an hour into a 6-hour campaign) is bad. Mediocre graphics, horrible optimization, weak story, and worst of all; crappy alien AI that never makes for a suspenseful atmosphere. Nothing like the original AvP/AvP 2 games. :(

Gearbox, you really screwed the pooch here, and I'm never forgiving you for it.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1sfhz0w4 said:
Sigh. Aliens: Colonial Marines is a piece of excrement. The multiplayer is fairly fun, though aliens are weak compared to marines; but the single player campaign thus far (an hour into a 6-hour campaign) is bad. Mediocre graphics, horrible optimization, weak story, and worst of all; crappy alien AI that never makes for a suspenseful atmosphere. Nothing like the original AvP/AvP 2 games. :(

Gearbox, you really screwed the pooch here, and I'm never forgiving you for it.

Never played AvP2 but AvP scared the shit out of me. Wish the multiplayer hadn't been so clunky.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
JesterHawk":16vangez said:
Never played AvP2 but AvP scared the shit out of me. Wish the multiplayer hadn't been so clunky.

AvP 2 was even scarier, playing as the marine. Seriously. Scariest game of all time, I think. Clive Barker's Undying is way up there, too.

City Of Reign

Reaction score
I might get laughed at, but for me Doom 3 was scary as heck. Going with older games, being a former Mac'turd I can remember "Marathon" was pretty scary for me. Lol, seeing screen shots and then recently playing and emulation, I can't really see how. Super embarrassing lol.

On a side note Roland, I'm building a pc; can I message you the list of components and get your $.02

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sure, Reign; or you can just make a post with it to get input from everyone, and I'll respond. Whatever works.

Bipolar

Reaction score
I will definitely get the Sim City game for my wife. never cared about the Aliens franchise, games or the movies.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Bipolar":3j0dw73j said:
whatever. I am buying the new Bioshock Infinite!

System Shock 2.2: Part 3?

By the way, System Shock 2 is still the most horrifying game of all time.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3n8epeuy said:
Bipolar":3n8epeuy said:

ORLY?

KDr8oizT3ZaAUVPZBi GagtiaOvD 9xU2bJU0caqm7stN2U dQ

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":19jzwdh1 said:
Bipolar":19jzwdh1 said:

Nah. System Shock 2 was damned good, and it was certainly scary, but AvP 2 from 2001 is the all-time winner, IMO. (Marine campaign, specifically.)

LargentFan

Reaction score
I have to echo Roland about AVP2 Marine campaign being the scariest gaming experience I have ever had. It was great. Doom 3 was great as well, but it's like a $5 bill laying next to a 20 when compared to AVP2.

I also have to disagree with Roland when it comes to the new Aliens game. I won't go so far as to say it's good, but it's not as excrementy as has been said by many.
The multiplayer is very fun and no...the aliens are not at a disadvantage against the marines. It's quite the other way around, in my opinion.
I've been playing the hell out of it online...love it.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The alien disadvantage seems to have dried up with higher level alien unlocks. Namely, the middle alien class and the short-range AoE spit plus the perk where you deal massive damage in a short range around you when you die. You can just charge up to two marines, and die, and kill both of them; it's fun as hell.

The environment is still glitchy as HELL for trying to pounce on the right-side alien class, though. That is really annoying, because pouncing long distances is fun.

LargentFan

Reaction score
Yeah, that can be pretty frustrating at times. These hyper-agile aliens will get tripped up and stalled by a small rock...
I use the Soldier xeno with hollow exoskeleton and rage. It's damn near unstoppable. I can run right through a claymore and kill whoever set it there and go looking for more. I die after, but if I got 1 kill, my death didn't hurt, and I usually get at least 3 kills before I die.

Honestly, I haven't had this much fun in a multiplayer shooter in years. The marines are fun too. I have to say...I love this game.
Maybe it's worse on console...but those people are second class citizens anyway!

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
AvP 2 multiplayer was even more fun; but the problem was, it was very laggy. Had to play on a LAN to truly enjoy it. This is definitely a lot better than pretty much any modern FPS, though. I like the "play each side for 5 minutes" style.

LargentFan

Reaction score
What name do you go by ingame? Maybe we've seen each other at some point. I go by VTI.