Xbox 360, I hate you.

TravTex

Reaction score
So, I'm getting into a groove with my shiny new NBA 2K10 franchise... and suddenly the video starts having odd issues. Bars of yellowish tint across the screen. I turn it off, reboot the system. This time, there are random blue streaks and pixels, then there are both blue streaks and yellowish bars. Try again... This time, the console comes on, but there is no video. I turn it off... and the fan is still whirring away after it's turned off. Have to unplug the thing to get it to shut up.

So, I redo all of the connections, same issue... No video. No RROD or anything, but from what I'm reading online -- This seems to be part of the rash of video card failures the XB360 is now experiencing.

What a piece of crap. If it doesn't fail one way, it finds a completely different way to fail?

AND, from what I'm reading, Microsoft wants 99$ to fix it. A hundred dollars to repair a faulty console that may or may not still have a RROD crash waiting in its future?

:thfight7:

What the hell? I mean, really. At the moment, I'm strongly considering a shift back to Sony.

OP
OP
TravTex

TravTex

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2fovqyyb said:
Try getting a new video cord. That may be what the problem is...

Yeah, B. I thought of that. It's the console -- And apparently a pretty common problem with it.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
SundayNiteBlackout":2al4rhrn said:
That sucks bro. I can fix the RROD myself, but I haven't got a clue about faulty video cards.

Never looked inside a 360 before (and google fu doesn't yield anything helpful), but the main question is: Is the GPU integrated into the motherboard or is it a separate card? Because if it's a separate card, wouldn't it be the same as installing a video card in a computer? (My guess would be yes, based on the fixing price. If it were a motherboard issue, you'd probably be better off replacing the system.)

OP
OP
TravTex

TravTex

Reaction score
Snohomie":35wguvqf said:
That's the main reason I own a PS3.

Problem is, the game library hasn't really been wonderful, IMO.

I was considering that, but after ignoring the various reports and looking for myself... I actually see more on the PS3 side I'd be interested in than vice-versa. I'm more an MLB: The Show guy than a Halo player.

Snohomie

Reaction score
May be. I thought the sports options were about the game for both franchises, though.

Sports and RPGs tend to be my thing, with a bit of other games thrown in for variety. I'm surprised we haven't had more good RPGs for the PS3, to be honest.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
All the RPG's seems to be more of the action/RPG types.

I too am disappointed about that...but when PSN released FF VII and FF Tactics that changed my tune a little bit.

OP
OP
TravTex

TravTex

Reaction score
I haven't seen many that caught my attention for the 360, either. Fallout was the only one I had more than a vague interest in playing (I tend toward the PC for my RPG needs. Bioware needs to crank out another Neverwinter clone... though, my PC is getting old, so that'd probably get me spending more money than I need to be)... Mass Effect was good stuff.

Anyway, I really don't feel like pumping more money into microsoft to get the video card fixed and then still have the RROD potential hanging over my head. PS3 seems to have caught up in the software department... plus I can save 120+ bucks a year on XB Live fees.

ElDoceHombre

Reaction score
I have been tradionally a PC gamer since I was a kid and buying a 360 was my first console since a PS2 (I bought that just for GTA) and even though I got COD5 for the 360 it turns out that the only game I play on 360 is Madden. As far as FPS or RTS goes, PC FTW hands down!

TestMo1337

Reaction score
You should check out Demon Soul (PS3), White Knight Chronicles (PS3) and Dragon Age (360/PS3) all three are RPG's coming out this fall.

If you want another Action/RPG you should check out Borderlands (PC/360/PS3). I'm planning on picking it up today.

Smurf

Reaction score
TravTex":2f37i8rj said:
I haven't seen many that caught my attention for the 360, either. Fallout was the only one I had more than a vague interest in playing (I tend toward the PC for my RPG needs. Bioware needs to crank out another Neverwinter clone... though, my PC is getting old, so that'd probably get me spending more money than I need to be)... Mass Effect was good stuff.

Anyway, I really don't feel like pumping more money into microsoft to get the video card fixed and then still have the RROD potential hanging over my head. PS3 seems to have caught up in the software department... plus I can save 120+ bucks a year on XB Live fees.

Have two Xbox live accounts or something?

OP
OP
TravTex

TravTex

Reaction score
Actually... $95.88, my bad. *heh* (Though removing the temptation to get bored and buy downloadable content I don't really need would probably increase overall savings.)

Snohomie

Reaction score
sammyc521":3syy0vfs said:
You should check out Demon Soul (PS3), White Knight Chronicles (PS3) and Dragon Age (360/PS3) all three are RPG's coming out this fall.

If you want another Action/RPG you should check out Borderlands (PC/360/PS3). I'm planning on picking it up today.

Thanks Sammy. I'll check those out. Roommate has Demon Soul and loves it, but I hear a shocking amount of yelling and swearing coming from his room and that's the last thing I need. I guess that game is insanely hard. But I could use a good RPG - don't remember the last time I played a non-sports title on my PS3.

OP
OP
TravTex

TravTex

Reaction score
Grabbed a PS3. Woot. Still have the Xbox 360 skeleton, though... Was hoping it'd survive long enough for a trade-in (It had started working again). I was going to be 40 bucks out of pocket, and as I was finalizing things... Bzzrt. Video card died completely mid-test.

So, if anyone wants a XB360 with a dead video card, let me know. ($99 dollars to fix via Microsoft)

Got my PS3 all set up and have the network set up. Spent some time dinking around with a couple new games (Infamous, and MLB The Show '09).

At the moment, I'm a rook pitcher doing middle relief duty for the Eire Seawolves. Was drafted by Detroit and sent to AA after spring training. Signed a 2-year contract for 63k. Hooray for ramen noodles.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Snohomie":1eig0yue said:
sammyc521":1eig0yue said:

Thanks Sammy. I'll check those out. Roommate has Demon Soul and loves it, but I hear a shocking amount of yelling and swearing coming from his room and that's the last thing I need. I guess that game is insanely hard. But I could use a good RPG - don't remember the last time I played a non-sports title on my PS3.
I hear you Kyle... I read the reviews on Demon Soul and it sound old-skool NES BattleToads hard.

If you are interested in a dumbed-down strategy game, you could check out Civ Revolution. It has almost nothing in common with the CIV series on PC, but it's a cool strategy game. I think they have a demo on PSN. (Civ Rev is also on 360).