Battlefield 3

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
So, I'm in the early beta right now for Battlefield 3. Ars Technica just posted a blurb on it, here:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... s-work.ars

It's very accurate. Combat in BF3 is not quite like combat in any other first-person shooter you've played. It's very visceral, and while you can easily hide all over the place, any shooting you do telegraphs your location quite effectively; even as a sniper. If you are using a laser sight, you can literally blind the holy HELL out of a sniper with it by shining it at their scope. It's crazy, they can't do anything for a moment; I wish I had a screenshot of what it looked like. You can also blind people with the flashlight attachment pretty effectively, too; though it doesn't really have a lingering effect the way the laser sight does.

This is going to set a new standard for first-person shooter online gaming. There are a lot of minor changes that, when added together, make for a whole new level of gaming. It's hard to describe, but the Ars article does a fairly good job. If you haven't pre-ordered it, do so now. Also, for the PC gamers, the game looks incredible if you have the hardware to really crank the quality settings. I do mean incredible, in the very literal sense of the word. It almost feels like friggin' real life sometimes; makes Black Ops and Bad Company 2 look like old Nintendo games, by comparison.

I can't wait. This will tide me over beautifully until SWTOR comes out.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I heard the PS3 version isn't gonna look as good as the PC version:

[youtube]AGbo50Ar420[/youtube]

Spounge84

Reaction score
Just finished downloading the beta on origin (which took me forever!). Can't wait to start playing, BF2 was one of my favorite first person shooters ever, and I hope this lives up to how awesome the other Battlefield titles have been.

However, it does have one drawback. Namely Origin, EA's retarded failed attempt to copy Steam.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Battlefield 2 was amazing.

Battlefield 3 is better.

(I don't disagree about Origin, but oh well; also, you don't even have to be signed into Origin for this to work, it looks like. It uses some weird browser-based system.)

It does RAPE video cards, though.

AshamanMat

Reaction score
Yeah I cant wait! I LOVE 1942 and love 2 the wife is already expecting to see me a little less :) Maybe Ill build her a computer and she can play along side me :)

Throwdown

Reaction score
I'm downloading it right now, i'm sure i'm gonna get the floor mopped with my head because i can't play these types of shooters to save my life, the thinking part isnt my strong point.

i'm more of a mindlessly run around and shoot at people Call Of Duty player.

Throwdown

Reaction score
i love it so far, first game was a little rough like 5-34 then i came back strong once i got a hang of it with a to my standards solid 31-19

taz291819

Reaction score
Played the Beta, pre-ordered it last week for the PC. Thinking of renting a 16-player server, only around $16/month. Since EA/Dice didn't include offline Bots like they did in BF2, I think $16 is worth it to get some practice time in flying the jets and helos. If anyone wants the server and password, PM me. Will probably order the server next week, once the game launches.

AshamanMat

Reaction score
Just got done downloading the game, got it for 49.99 of Amazon. I hate that its not on Steam but oh well

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Steam needs to get with the times. You STILL can't install games on a different hard drive than where Steam is installed to; ****ing ridiculous. Also, how so many Steam games automatically force your microphone to be on even if you have it muted in Steam is very annoying.

I love Steam the idea/concept, I've slowly started disliking Steam the "actual existing product", though. This is coming from someone who has used it since the beginning, and has spent a LOT of money on games on there.

AshamanMat

Reaction score
Wait, you downloaded it on Steam? I didnt think the game was going to be released on Steam I had to install Origin EA's Steam like program

Spounge84

Reaction score
Just got my hard copy in the mail, gonna finish my homework as soon I can so I can start playing!

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Don't bother, Snohomie. Just grab that shit. Seriously.

However, since you asked, here:

8.5, and it's only that "low" because the single player campaign is weak: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/battl ... ead-review

9.0, again losing points because of single player: http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1210387p1.html

Just take my word for it, the multiplayer is amazing and evolutionary. There is not one single "huge new thing" in it, but they've made a ton of adjustments/iterative updates that, when it's all combined, make for a breathtaking, awe-inspiring new multiplayer experience. Plus, the graphics are ridiculously sweet.

IGN BF3 Review":zdx4o5ca said:
While DICE may not deliver a memorable story here, it doesn't need to when Battlefield 3's online warfare raises every bar imaginable,

Gamespot BF3 Review":zdx4o5ca said:
Battlefield 3 may not offer much beyond the multiplayer, but there are so many ways to contribute and feel like a powerful soldier that after hours and hours of playing, all you'll want to do is play more.

taz291819

Reaction score
There are plenty of reviews for the PC version, but they don't really add anything new from their reviews of the Beta.

Personally, I'm loving the game. Haven't played SP yet, but the MP maps are pretty big, very similar in size to BF2. The graphics are freakin' amazing. I've played with full on 64-players, and Monday night, I was on a server with just two other guys. Played for a while 2-vs-1, with me being on both sides of the token. We were playing on the large 64-player map, and I must say, that was actually a blast. Whether we were "hunting" the one guy, or I was the one being hunted, it was pretty cool.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I haven't played it yet because Comcast screwed me when I moved last weekend. They're coming this afternoon to fix my internet, (one day before I get 35 megabit up/down Fios internet, haha) so I'll start playing tonight; but I played the beta, and while it was buggy, it was hella fun.

@Throwdown: No. This is a PC game. Go away.

;)

Snohomie

Reaction score
I can't pull up reviews at the moment, so thanks for the quotes Roland and the review Taz.

I am torn. I have only enjoyed one PC-FPS (Tribes II) and I had given up on the genre until my roommate got me to play MW2 and BC2 on PS3, so I really prefer the feel of playing PS3... but I think 64-person battles could be awesome. I'll probably get PS3 now, but man I wish it could handle huge battles.