Star Wars - The Old Republic - NDA Lifted!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
EDIT: The NDA has been lifted, so feel free to ask questions and I'll answer anything I know.

So, anyone going to be playing this? I definitely am. It looks to be amazing, and BioWare makes nothing but great titles. They're the guys that made the Baldur's Gate series back in the day, Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Dragon Age 1 & 2, Mass Effect 1 & 2, (and the upcoming 3) etc.

For those that don't know about it, it's a major MMORPG (same type of game as World of Warcraft) being made that takes place in the Star Wars universe. It takes place about 3,500 years before the Star Wars movies.

They've got a bunch of videos here: http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers - I particularly like the Taral V developer walkthrough, as it showcases flashpoints, or instances as they were referred to in WoW.

...Also, there's a GUNSLINGER advanced class! :3: :3: :3:

SWTOR Gunslinger

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'll probably post again when it becomes open beta, which will likely be 1-2 weeks before release. I've been signed up for a beta invite for like 2 years - the DAY they opened up the invites - and still haven't gotten one, /sigh.

LargentFan

Reaction score
I have hopes for this game, but I feel like the MMORPG world only has room for one really huge game. With other types of games, you finish and move on to the next. With MMORPGs, the idea is that the game never ends, so it's not so easy to put it down and move on to the next one if the game makers do a good job. I am sure it will have a large initial following, but it will be hard to tell if it can permanently steal a big enough chunk of World of Warcraft's players to truly thrive. If it does, it will be really cool to see what the game develops into.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I love BioWare, but Mass Effect and the second Dragon Age definitely need more sex. Just saying...

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I about died laughing when I saw you could have sex with a male prostitute in the brothel in Dragon Age II when your character is male; just sayin'.

Also, everyone watch the latest cinematic trailer if you haven't already. The part where the gunslinger avenges the two guards near the beginning makes me require a change of boxers every time.

[youtube]MfNhs6sh3_Q[/youtube]

Smurf

Reaction score
Its going to be so sick....my whole house and group of friends will be playing and right now the big debate is if we go Republic or Sith...

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The great thing is, light/dark sides aren't separate like alliance/horde in WoW are. You can have a guild and people can be whichever side they want.

Smurf

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1vql5beb said:
The great thing is, light/dark sides aren't separate like alliance/horde in WoW are. You can have a guild and people can be whichever side they want.

really?!

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Yes, really; so no worries. I think one of the main reasons they did it was so they didn't have to have both sides basically be carbon copies of the other and not unique, for balance reasons. It's a good choice.

Smurf

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":41sfpc1r said:
Yes, really; so no worries. I think one of the main reasons they did it was so they didn't have to have both sides basically be carbon copies of the other and not unique, for balance reasons. It's a good choice.

how does that work in relation to the story?

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
No clue, I'm not in the beta. My knowledge is limited to what fan sites and the forums/official news have revealed. Every class has a considerable number of unique quests, from what I've read; so that plays into it too, I'm sure. After playing the Dragon Age games, I've got faith in whatever they end up doing. BioWare FTW.

ElDoceHombre

Reaction score
Did you see that annoying douche who hosted the Ubisoft presser? Jebus Christ that was awful. And the douchebag Lorenzo Lamas wannabe @ the Microsoft Presser was back from last year.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Yep. You'd think Microsoft would learn to market their stuff better...I mean, half the reason Apple has gotten so popular and huge is spending insane amounts of money on creative advertising.

Snohomie

Reaction score
After having wasted a good year of my life following Guild Wars pre-release (only for them to make a couple changes right before release that killed me), I refuse to follow MMO's until they're in open beta. I've been playing MMOs since I was 10, I get too addicted to them. Had to stop playing (mostly) with school but now that I'm graduating... I've kept a bit of an eye on this, but haven't paid that much attention. Is this going to be a sandbox (ala SWG) or more of a theme-park MMO? Do we know the PvP options yet? Figure Roland or someone else here might know. Star Wars Galaxies was actually pretty good until Sony ruined it.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Yeah, a bunch of people had similar comments on that video, Taz. It reiterates what the word "epic" really means. I seriously cannot get over the gunslinger part at the beginning...so awesome.

@Snohomie: I'm not sure what you mean by sandbox-vs-theme park MMO. This looks to be similar to WoW, but in good ways. I never played SWG much, couldn't get into it during their open beta, so I can't really compare it; and I don't know much about it.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Yea, this looks pretty cool.

I was really into SWG from day one, enjoyed it until like Snohomie mentioned, Sony went full retard on it and ruined it. And ever since then, I've wanted another Star Wars mmorpg to come along.

But now I need to put together a pc to run it, my current box is just not going to cut it, oh and then theres the little problem of time. Hhhhhmmmm

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It should be worth building a new computer for. ;)

A good friend of mine just played it 2 hours ago at E3 in Los Angeles, and he had pretty high hopes going in...and it exceeded them. He almost wishes he didn't go, because he wants the game even more now, lol.