Call of Duty: Black Ops

TriCHawk

Reaction score
Anyone getting this game? My wife is picking my reserved copy up today, and I'm going to 'attempt' to play online this evening. With everybody and their brother buying this, the servers will probably crash by the weekend and I'll be back on MW2.

If you already got it, let me know how it is. I'm expecting the online play will suck for about a month or so.

ElDoceHombre

Reaction score
I've got it downloading on Steam here at work and at home...few hours to go. I thought MW2 was kind of crappy compared to COD4MW but I heard that Black Ops is excellent, so I am excited to play and re-establish my COD dominance :179422:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Call me when they make a game in the franchise where you aren't speed-skating around at 45 miles per hour in an attempt to make fast-paced action. 8)

ElDoceHombre

Reaction score
what isn't realistic about being a super ninja extreme package with the mega jesse owens package carrying nothing but a grenade launcher and switchblade?

Dietrich

Reaction score
I've never played CoD on the PC. How is it compared to playing on a console?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Any first person shooter is better on the PC. A mouse is a requirement for any FPS. Why do you think they never combine online PC players with online console players? The PC ones would spank the ever-loving hell out of the console players :)

ElDoceHombre

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3ad2hgdr said:
Any first person shooter is better on the PC. A mouse is a requirement for any FPS. Why do you think they never combine online PC players with online console players? The PC ones would spank the ever-loving hell out of the console players :)

For once I will agree with you. That + the level of skill among PC players is significantly higher. A majority of console users who try to convert to PC tend to get pwned pretty often and go back to their PS3s and 360s. The FPS genre was invented for PC back in the 90s so you have some pretty hardcore peeps on there. It's actually really sad how so many developers have gone from porting PC games to console, to now the other way around. I think Valve is one of the last true PC FPS developers.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Well, from a developer standpoint, programming for consoles is win-win. There is no downside. You have a less fickle audience that cares less about content and is less vested in the long-term playability of any given title. PC users are stuffy, picky, ornery and harder to please by comparison. That's not an accurate assessment of PC gamers, it's just that console gamers as a whole are more sheep-like, lol. They'll stand for lower quality in games in many ways that PC gamers won't.

Now if you are interested in making truly amazing games...making it for the PC then porting it is your best shot. It'll be a higher quality game, most likely. This is all a generalization, there are plenty of exceptions, blahblahblah.

I shudder to think of what the Quake franchise would have been like had it been a console-only one.

ElDoceHombre

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1h97rdnl said:
Well, from a developer standpoint, programming for consoles is win-win. There is no downside. You have a less fickle audience that cares less about content and is less vested in the long-term playability of any given title. PC users are stuffy, picky, ornery and harder to please by comparison. That's not an accurate assessment of PC gamers, it's just that console gamers as a whole are more sheep-like, lol. They'll stand for lower quality in games in many ways that PC gamers won't.

Now if you are interested in making truly amazing games...making it for the PC then porting it is your best shot. It'll be a higher quality game, most likely. This is all a generalization, there are plenty of exceptions, blahblahblah.

I shudder to think of what the Quake franchise would have been like had it been a console-only one.

Agreed. It's only natural for them to develop for the largest market, but it still sucks!

OP
OP
TriCHawk

TriCHawk

Reaction score
ElDoceHombre":1kbanjvj said:
what isn't realistic about being a super ninja extreme package with the mega jesse owens package carrying nothing but a grenade launcher and switchblade?

I hear you on that one. My biggest pet peeve on the game is these you're talking about, except they usually have akimbo shotguns instead of a 203. They do that because they suck and can't shoot (and they're probably 12yr olds). Any future versions of CoD need to eliminate Marathon/Lightweight/Commando as perks, or make it so you can't combine any of those perks together.

Didn't mean for this to turn in to a PC v console thread... I'm sure both have their +/-.

ElDoceHombre

Reaction score
Yeah that was also my biggest gripe against MW2. They took a great perk system from COD4 and packed too much in to make it more "extreme" and it just ended up ruining the balance and thus making the entire game more of a novelty that pandered to the lowest common denominator. It reminds me of when Yoplait started marketing "Gogurt Extreme Rush". How is yogurt in a tube extreme or a rush???

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Team Fortress 2 (PC) 1000x than any COD game.

What's been improved in COD since COD4?

ElDoceHombre

Reaction score
sammyc521":3ursfit2 said:
Team Fortress 2 (PC) 1000x than any COD game.

What's been improved in COD since COD4?

:th2thumbs: Well i can tell you in MW2 not a lot improved, but definitely regressed. I found myself playing more BC2 instead because in addition to Valve's games I enjoy a good milsim shooter. I am 3 hours away from finding out if Black Ops is any good. I think it goes without question that no COD game will ever come close to the quality of anything in Valve's catalog.

washmont

Reaction score
I picked mine up for the Xbox 360. I think it is the best COD yet. They fixed just about every exploit the people were complaining about.
Great maps, and balanced play.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I get mine tomorrow.........take a a test in the morning and then it has my name written all over it.

ElDoceHombre

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2x9tvd6e said:
I get mine tomorrow.........take a a test in the morning and then it has my name written all over it.

I'm a couple hours into single player, having a blast

Dietrich

Reaction score
Well, I bought it for the PC off of Steam. Really impressed with the graphics and the game play. The only thing I gripe I have is that I suck so far. :p

OP
OP
TriCHawk

TriCHawk

Reaction score
Ok - played it. Managed to make it through one level of campaign mode before I got online with my buddy. I usually get my butt kicked my first time out, but I only had one match out of about 5 or 6 that sucked.
Overall I like the online play. The maps seem a lot bigger and more intricate. Uhh.. I guess that's all I got since I didn't get to play a whole lot (have a job in the am). I haven't set up any classes yet or anything. Man, I can't wait until my day off!

And for console people, at least PS3 like myself, you can set the game searches to local, so it seems to me there is WAY less lag than MW2, or maybe I just got lucky and got in a good group.

Latest posts