MLB the Show 10

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Anyone getting this game on day 1?

I can't wait to bust out these "new Mariners." They could use a catcher and I'm excited that the newest edition to this year's Road to the Show is the catcher position with the ability to call games.

OP
OP
TestMo1337

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Just talked to some friend that ended up buying a PS3 just for Blu-Ray and Netflix Instant Streaming.

That aside, who else is gonna play RTTS? What position are you guys feeling?

SundayNiteBlackout

Reaction score
I'm probably gonna try RTTS with the new "call the game" catcher's mode, see if I can get a call up to the M's. I'll do a pitcher as always as well.
My RTTS guy this year is a 2nd baseman.

SundayNiteBlackout

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but apparently they have fixed online game play this year, which is a relief. it was so laggy last year that you couldn't even THINK about playing an online game. I hope that is true.

TravTex

Reaction score
MLBTS09 probably holds about 90% of my PS3 hours. Think I've spent more time in Franchise than RTTS. Been trying to turn my future home's team into something decent. (Gooo, Northwest Arkansas Naturals!)

Frothing at the bit to get some MLBTS10 into action.

Snohomie

Reaction score
I'm going to be getting this soon (quite possibly tomorrow), but if any of you have reviews I'd love to hear them.

SundayNiteBlackout

Reaction score
I got it the minute gamestop opened. It's just as awesome as it always is presentation-wise. there have been a couple glitches, nothing deal breaking though. For some reason on my RTTS charactor Griffey was in AA though :(

TravTex

Reaction score
I actually prefer that. It never made sense to me that some random unproven rookie would start out his career on the 40-man roster.

I think the broadcast views are greatly improved. At first look it seems that the fielding has dramatically improved, as well. For instance, in my first franchise game with the Royals, I learned the hard way:

* If your middle infielders have weenie arms, don't lollygag around trying to turn two.

* Don't try to stretch a double on Vlad. (DAMN!)

TravTex

Reaction score
I was right on the verge of wanting to start up a MLB Mariners thread, but damnit... I'm wanting to pull the Royals out of the toilet!

SundayNiteBlackout

Reaction score
TravTex":1vysc521 said:
I actually prefer that. It never made sense to me that some random unproven rookie would start out his career on the 40-man roster.

No I meant that Ken Griffey Jr was the starting left fielder for the AA team.

OP
OP
TestMo1337

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Maybe they deemed that Griffey wasn't MLB worthy. Did you auto-arrange the rosters? A lot of times, the CPU will put guys all over the place based on their overall rating, rather than name.

TravTex

Reaction score
Huh. I had him as starting DH when I did a trial-run M's franchise.

I'm running with the Royal's, now. Gonna be my new local affiliate -- Parent club for the AA NWA Naturals. Living in San Antonio the past few years I've been stuck with the Padres.

Snohomie

Reaction score
I'm a pretty big Mariners fan, so imagine my dismay when my RTTS guy was drafted by the Athletics!

Doesn't help that he is terrible. 3rd base is a rough position to field, and my guy does not do it well. Plays a decent 2nd base, his 2nd position, but I wish I had made it my primary. Only problem is, I'm hitting ~.200 with limited power and walks. My plate discipline is absolutely terrible (twice I swung at pitches that hit me, lol). It was about .270 to start, but I kept playing for about 10 hours straight and after a while my contacts dried up and my vision just went downhill.

I'm normally pretty solid at video games, and I can consistently beat my friends at Madden or NBA2k10, but I haven't figured out hitting in this game yet, I guess. Any strategies you all use? I try to approach the plate where I will only swing at the 1st pitch if I guess it correctly and can really hit it, but that clearly isn't working (or, at least, it's not sufficient).

TravTex

Reaction score
I did a reboot because I'm a perfectionist and had to go back with a few pics handy to make my dude look more like me (Sad). Ended up getting drafted by the Blue Jays. 2B with C/3B secondary, which pretty much sums up my real life non-pitching career. Playing spot duty utility guy for the New Hampshire Fisher Cats (How cool is THAT name?).

Finally came back down to earth in about six weeks into the season, and I'm hitting about .330. At one point I was hitting .556 and feeling pretty invincible.

Toughest thing to overcome was the same damn thing. I still swing at pitches that make me want to strangle myself. Especially when I hack at some out of the zone change up that makes my dude damn near fall down with his off-balance disadvantaged chimpanzee swing.

One AWESOME sequence... well, it's a bit sadistic... My dude was leading off, and the pitcher -nailed- me in the shoulder with the second pitch. Looked like I was getting ready to charge the mound for a minute. Tensions were high. Got around to score. Next at bat, I take the first pitch and LINE it directly up the middle and hit the pitcher in the face. It hit him in the face. It HIT him in the *$&#ing FACE. Coverage goes to the 'Show Motion' and shows it in all its super slow-mo horror. Dude is DONE for the day. Camera cut to my guy standing on first base giving a grin and shrug at the first base coach.

This game is awesomeness.

TravTex

Reaction score
Damn you, Kyle.

I'm on a hideous slump of death, now. Hitting in the .230 range and throwing simple tosses over the first baseman's head. I even did a Buckner.

Snohomie

Reaction score
Heh. That's normal for me...

I let one go between my legs at 2nd yesterday. I also ruined a double play by overthrowing my SS, which would've been more acceptable if he hadn't been 10 feet away. I wish the fielding was a little better, at least make them better than your average HS player... Hitting is fun, though. Up to .250 with a lot of RBIs... my guy seems to do well in the clutch. So far I have 3 home runs. One was a solo-shot to tie the game in the 8th, one a two-run HR to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth with two outs, and another was a walkoff grand slam, bottom of the 10th.

Of course, my strikeout ratio is still 1 every 3.5 ABs, and I only have 3 walks or so. SLOWLY getting the points into contact-hitting, I figure I'll build that up quite a bit and then just use my hitting to get me more training points. My roommate and I have noticed that every character gets drafted by Oakland, at least at our house (3 characters in a row, all drafted by Oakland)

TravTex

Reaction score
Most common drafting team for me so far has been Baltimore. Damn Bowie Baysox.

Other than the one Buckner and occasional what-the-hell throw, my dude's fielding has been relatively solid. Think it helps that I've been pumping my reaction skill up a bit. I NEED to focus on clutch hitting. Guy's becoming a real choke hound. What?! Runners in scoring position and two outs? Hackhackhackhack.