NFL Head Coach 09

SundayNiteBlackout

Reaction score
I know some of you guys used to play this game, I just got it.

Is there any way to turn down the injuries in this game?

Also, what are some good sliders to use?

Vetamur

Reaction score
I got it in December and just started playing it.. I have the opposite problem..I havent had anybody injured in a game at all. Kerney only plays about half the time because he has chronic low health but I havent had anybody actually injured. How do I turn injuries UP?

And how do I turn fumbles down? I drafterd Felix Jones and he fumbled 19 times last season, including 4 in one game.......

TestMo1337

Reaction score
The way to combat injuries is to rest players in practice... just like in real-life.

Starting Tuesday, you resume practices and your trainer gives you the status of each player. They tell how badly they're hurt and you have the choice to let the trainer decide what to do or to rest players from practice. The downfall is that if they're not vets they don't know the playbook well so they mess up.

For fumbles, they said that was taken care of in a patch. I remember that before the patch was released, fumbles were really bad.

I turn a lot of the sliders down actually because it seems to affect the blocking scheme which just makes it worse. Don't turn up RB sliders because they all start dancing instead of hitting the hole.

FPD

Reaction score
I just got the game last week. I'm not sure when I'll get into it. Lately, I've been into old school arcade games, so I have quite a few of those as well as quite a few XBL arcade games if anyone is interested. However, I've REALLY been into Fable II. Dayum I hope Fable III doesn't disappoint!

Vetamur

Reaction score
Hey Sammy, thanks for the tips..once I updated online I dont have a fumble problem anymore. I have a couple of questions if you dont mind...

I still have NEVER had any player actually injured in a game.. either on my team or the team Im playing. That seems weird.. but I dont see any settings that I should change.

On the other hand..no matter how much I rest Matthew (of course Im the Seahawks) he never seems to get his Health back..he is stuck at 66% or so.. I rest him all week.. and by game day he never gets anything back.. occasionally 1%.. even if I sit him a couple of games.. so he hasnt done anything for 2 weeks..he stays right there... Kerney didnt even heal up over the offseason. What am I doing wrong?

I am really enjoying the game though.. it has taught me a lot about the salary cap as well..Im currently in salary cap prison...

TestMo1337

Reaction score
You're not doing anything wrong. Some players just won't heal up, like in real life.

Guys will basically sit all week in practice and then play in came time. The programmers made it so that certain players won't be able to recovery as quickly or ever due to sever injury and to wear-and-tear.

Kerney is a huge liability when playing with the Seahawks because he is constantly around 60% healthy for as long as you've got him and he's got that huge cap-hit if you trade/release him.

Injury isn't something that players have control over, so you really need to pay attention to their injury rating. I think it's broken down into; head, torso, and legs. Once any part of a players body gets seriously hurt; broken bone, ACL, MCL, etc they can never get back to 100% healthy as seen with a guy like Kerney.

When drafting guys, you can check out their health stats too.

For me, I stopped playing coaching games due to frustration and I enjoyed the other aspects of the game a lot more.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Well..youre spot on about Kerney.. I cant cut him but I dont even play him... he hasnt been active for a game for over a season (I play a computer made up 2nd year player with a rating of 79 rather than his Health 60 rating 85 ass)..and I cant afford to cut him... Im more frustrated with the Hasselbeck situation..he is about 66 now..and Im not sure how much that affects his play (his rating is 91)... so Im playing a computer generated rookie with an inexplicable rating of 44. I say inexplicable because most of his relevant ratings (throwing power etc) are in the 80s or 90s.. his learning is low.. a 40...but he seems to do well in the games (except on long passes they tend to float).

I prefer coaching games because I got frustrated by the opposite things.. when playing Madden I would get tackled because I pushed the wrong button or whatever.. and get pissed off. I just want to call the plays..

Yakimaniac

Reaction score
One thing that has been my problem every time I play is that guys get hurt for the game, and then they're fine after the game.

I started at the beginning of the offseason and draft, so that way I can decide who I have on my team, so Jermichael Finley is the best TE as far as potential goes based on my philosphies. He tends to get dinged up every game and goes out by half time. Then he's starting the next game.

Vetamur

Reaction score
I still have never had anyone get hurt in a game that Ive noticed....

Vetamur

Reaction score
Heading into the 2010 season... I had to trade Hasselbeck for a 5th round draft choice for cap reasons.. also traded away Walter Jones while I could (in this game he is still playing..but old..so I got something for him while I could). Just 2 seasons in the team is almost completely unrecognizable...

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Serious, this game is all about building through the draft. FA's a really over-priced and sometimes re-signing your own guys is over-priced. The great thing is you get two shots at FA; before and after the draft. Usually there's some good players that get cut along the way.

I often put guys on the block as soon as the post-season ends. Once the draft rolls around things really pick up and teams are willing to trade left and right. If you really look at this team, it's really surprising at how old it is at so many key positions.

TravTex

Reaction score
I miss HC. Friggin' PS3 version is crap and locked up all the time. Was hoping they'd come out with a 2k10 version but the Madden people swooped in on the developers and made them scrap together a crap version of their AI for Mad2k10.

Hell, I loved HC just for the draft if nothing else.

Vetamur

Reaction score
This is the only version Ive ever had so dont have anything to compare to..my only real complaints are (still) Ive never had a player injured in a game. In 2 1/4 seasons. I dont see any setting I should be changing..and other teams have injuries...by my guys are all made of titanium. My other complaint is that there are too many skilled FAs.. I kind of screwed up my cap situation (not kind of.. I actually got fired for it..luckily I had just saved and went back and didnt cut the one player that had broken the camels back..).. So Im got quite a few 390k or 500k a year UDFAs on my team..but lots of them are decent. Ive got a WR potential 89, a WR potential 85, a LG potential 84, and the best of all since I had to get rid of Hasselbeck.. an UDFA QB potential 92. and they were all GM invitees... not even players I scouted. I was actually kind of looking forward to sucking for a year and going into rebuild mode having learned my salary cap lessons... but its almost not even necessary.. just sign a bunch of nobodies. Plus since no one ever gets hurt I dont have to worry about depth at all.

TravTex

Reaction score
There's the 'Injury Bug'... sounds like you might have it.

In any case, I got myself hooked up with the patched version. Seems to be pretty functional so far... fingers crossed.

Check out my 2008 Draft:

#25: Kenny Phillips, SS
Trade Up (Our 1st 2nd rounder, a 7th, and an '09 4th): Jonathan Stewart, RB
Trade Up (Our 2nd 2nd rounder, 3rd and 5th in '09... a bit hosed, but was our Targeted Guy in an Area of Need and the team we traded with were very likely to grab him): Calais Campbell, RE (Fans loved it, up to 81 approval)

Day Two:
Trade Down (Our 3rd for Colts' 4th, 5th, and '09 4th)
#125: Timothy Hightower, HB
#155: Spencer Larson, MLB
#156: Kellen Davis, TE
#197: Jaymer Johnson, WR
#218: Tax McDray, DT

Over the offseason, we picked up Nnamdi Asomugha, though ended up letting Trufant walk. Slight improvement overall. Picked up Ben Noll, RG. Resigned Slave to the Businessman for 2yr. Traded Brian Russell to ATL for #2 and #7 picks, and replaced him by signing Erik Coleman for 5 years. Some other tweaks here and there. Looking for an RB in the draft, but signed Cedric Houston as Bust Insurance.

Vetamur

Reaction score
I get too impatient during the scouting stuff so I havent had great drafts.. but not horrible ones. The game treats Avery (WR Rams in real life) as a superstar and I got him in the 2nd round.. in my offense he has potential 96..and is currently a 92. I dont trade much because I barely get offered anything for some of my better players.

How do I get rid of the injury bug? (Thats the Seahawks have been asking for two years!). I have the latest updates I believe..maybe I should check again.

TravTex

Reaction score
I'm not really sure -- It's a glitch in the original program where if you entered the play creator, none of the players would ever get injured or if they were injured, would ever heal. I don't know if it's a game-killer or if the patch fixed existing franchises. (To be honest, mine never even gave a prompt to say the patch had been downloaded, but I'm now able to make hurry-up play calls inside two minutes of the halves, so it must be updated.)

Looks like the HC Travhawks have their QB of the Future. UDFA Walk-on Andre Woodson is a 77 with 93 potential in my offense, heh!

Vetamur

Reaction score
Hm...yea..I entered the play creator..and Ive never had a player get injured. The closest Ive had is Patrick "Low Health" Kerney.. but even with him Ive just let him play in games with his 15% health and he is leading the team in sacks with 8 (8 games into the 2010) so.. just let him play. I know Ive received updates because I used to have the fumble bug.. (1 out of 6 or 7 rushes by Felix Jones and he would fumble) and I dont anymore. Hmm..

Looks like you received the gift QB as well. I got Alex Brink.. potential 92. UDFA and not even one of the UDFA I invited..one of the camp invites the GM does automatically. Paired him with UDFA WR Hunter, potential 96 and it recharged my offense.