UW fans writing letter to Athletic Department

razgriz737

Reaction score
A letter to the AD has been written by some disgruntled Husky fans/students largely in response to a new "Our Tradition" campaign. I'll post the full letter below. The author of the letter is getting a lot of support. They are encouraging fans to "sign" the letter by following this facebook link and commenting your name, graduating class at UW (if applicable), and your number of years as a season ticket holder (if applicable). They are submitting the letter with all of the signatures at the end of the week. In less than a day they've gotten almost 300 signatures.
EDIT: Since I've posted this they have reached 300+
EDIT2: Now 400+. Really gaining some steam.

https://www.facebook.com/WhereIsOurTrad ... 8368438413

Here is the letter

To Whom It May Concern:

I came away from the loss versus Arizona State angrier and more upset than any football game in the past eight years. Was I disappointed with the loss? Of course, but that's not what made me angry. Instead, I'm upset about the "Our Tradition" campaign blaring across the video screens throughout the game. This latest attempt to elicit passion and boost fan support for the currently-mediocre brand of Husky Football is misguided, and frankly, insulting.

The traditions displayed on the video board during these segments included images of a retired Captain Husky and UW Rose Bowl wins in the distant past. These "traditions," as the department likes to bill them, don't even exist in the current state of Husky Football, so the message behind them feels empty. However, the real issue relates to the bigger picture: You tout "our traditions," but it's been apparent that UW Athletics is more interested in selling traditions off one by one rather than maintaining them.

After several decades, the Husky Marching Band is suddenly no longer playing the national anthem. All because the singer's friends donated money for the new stadium sound system and requested he get a solo gig. Yes, someone's actually paying to specifically discontinue one of Husky Stadium's longest-standing and proudest traditions.

The band also plays at maybe half of the rate they used to in the stands throughout the game, preempted by canned music, sponsorship opportunities, and now even movie trailers. More commercials equal more revenue for UW Athletics, and once again tradition suffers.

The Zone consistently empties the stadium at halftime and well into the third quarter. Why is the Zone there? For additional revenue from concessionaires.

Even a tradition as basic as the "Go! Huskies!" chant has dissolved because the student section was moved. Why were they moved? $$$$.

The tradition of wearing purple and gold uniforms by the football team has largely disappeared in today's era of Oregon-style jersey transformations. Sure, the athletes love this, but it's largely driven by your partnership with Nike. Again, every trail leads back to revenues and profits.

The fact is that Husky Football traditions are fading, and the department has proven that it is willing to literally sell them off (in the case of the national anthem). So stop insulting our intelligence by showing outdated imagery representing beloved traditions that you have little interest in maintaining!

To add insult to insult, the mercenary behind the mic completely ignored Saturday's Moment of Silence for Marysville prior to the national anthem. This disgraceful act, combined with his terrible rendition (which fans can't even sing along to), makes your "investment" in him look worse and worse every week. But at least the new sound system is working well so we can hear more commercials with even better clarity.

I am not a doddering half-century season ticket holder who fears change. But I am a lifelong Husky who has been through the highs and the lows of our shared football history. I have represented UW Athletics on the field and Husky Nation in the stands for decades. *I* understand what Husky tradition means, as do those loyal Dawgs who have co-signed this letter below. So do tens of thousands of other dedicated fans, supporters and donors. Please: stop insulting us with meaningless propaganda and instead start showing us that you understand and care about preserving Husky traditions.

Can you find ways to make your money without completely discarding the identity that made us proud of all of our athletes, coaches and administrators all these years? Prove it.

kearly

Reaction score
And here I was thinking this letter would just be "wah wah we lost, fix it" whining. That was actually a really good letter. I hope UW takes it under strong consideration, though given how hard it is to fight against money, it will probably be a losing battle.