Nominee for Seahawks' worst draft choice of 2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
It's still very early, but I would have to go with selecting Jimmy Staten in the Fifth Round. Staten showed little stamina, technique, or playmaking ability at Middle Tennessee State. His one upside was his size and strength, but he also appeared to get knocked off the line of scrimmage with some frequency. It's possible Staten may have gone undrafted if not selected by the Seahawks in rounds five through seven.

The Seahawks already have multiple developmental interior defensive linemen with seemingly more upside, including Scruggs, Hill, Williams, and Brooks. It seems unlikely Staten will even make the practice squad without an impressive showing in camp.

[youtube]CMOLfm4ESN4[/youtube]

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
JSeahawks":r92w61w9 said:
Gotta be Garrett Scott since he won't even make it to training camp to compete.

I guess they should have discovered Scott's condition before they drafted him, though I'm not sure if pre-draft limits on physicals made that difficult.

At least Scott is still somewhat of a question mark, since they can stash him on injured reserve and hope he's treated before next season. I can't see Staten making the practice squad right now, and he was selected a round before Scott.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I'm not going to nominate anyone.

I just don't know enough about any of these young fellas yet to form an opinion without seeing them at least play in the preseason.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Waaaaay too soon to call.

Let's see what they can do on the field as pros.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
If you have nothing to say . . . complain about the topic! It's a truism of this board.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
hawknation2014":q51kacbg said:
If you have nothing to say . . . complain about the topic! It's a truism of this board.

So is starting threads to declare busts before we've even seen the players on the field.

Subzero717

Reaction score
He said it was early so its okay. Its the same as saying, "with all due respect" just before you insult someone. By saying "its early" all the ridiculousness goes away.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1p2vvu87 said:
hawknation2014":1p2vvu87 said:

So is starting threads to declare busts before we've even seen the players on the field.

I neither declared anything nor used the word bust. I'm merely stating my opinion on Staten's viability as a prospect on this team.

That's one of the things that makes message boards lively and interesting: different viewpoints and predictions on what will happen in the future.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't get it. This is obviously an opinion topic which asks for other opinions as to what you think was our worst pick this year.

Who do you think ends up sucking/getting cut?

What's the big problem with the topic? It's not ridiculous, it's a football discussion asking for opinions. It was even acknowledged that it's too early to give a real judgement. This is all prediction. I don't see you guys getting all mad at our record prediction thread every year and whining about how it's too early to tell what our record will be.

Boo to all of you sensitive folk. It's a damn football forum. Talk football!

Jville

Reaction score
A working tolerance for differing views and opinion is useful here.

Faulting players and highlighting what they can not do has been an exercise of scouts and fans for decades. A reading of the thread title forewarns of such content. And although John Schneider and Pete Carroll go out of their way to make a point in differentiating the way they look and evaluate draft prospects, that doesn't preclude others from continuing with the old ways.

Differing camps are going to find fault with each other. :229031_shrug: It's inevitable.

sc85sis

Reaction score
JSeahawks":cimkd41j said:
Gotta be Garrett Scott since he won't even make it to training camp to compete.
I can't agree with that. They had no way of knowing he had a heart condition. No other doctor had found it previously.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's too early to say, I think. We hear raves/pans of WRs/DBs at this stage because they're allowed to show something in these no-pad practices. We're not going to know much of the DL/OL guys until the pads are on.

However, if there's an area where we can afford to miss right now, it's probably interior DL. We got a lot of depth and few open spots in that area. For that reason alone, Staten may need to wait in the wings on the practice squad.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'll go with Staten too. He makes me think of EJ Wilson, borderline talent that they took a long shot on. I'm sure that John Schneider sees this guy as a long shot too. Just like I doubt he was surprised when EJ Wilson didn't make the team.

Front offices make these determinations during the draft, that's why they wait until late to select them. If they think they will have trouble signing them as an UDFA, say because of a glut of defensive linemen, they draft them.

This team is at a point where it's hard to make the roster and some of the picks are going to be throw-aways.

justafan

Reaction score
My least favorite pick was Britt.I dont think he is the worst player drafted.I just thought there were better options that high in the draft.
In fact I wasnt a huge fan of the 1st 2 picks,Fortunately i have been wrong about the draft before,many times

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2df7xsa3 said:
Maelstrom787":2df7xsa3 said:
Boo to all of you sensitive folk.

Wait, which sensitive folk again? The folks who think the premise of the topic is ridiculous, or the people who get upset because some people think the premise of the topic is ridiculous?

The people who get upset about the people who get upset about the people who get upset because they think the topic is ridiculous.