Five biggest needs in 2015 draft

hawknation2014

Reaction score
1. Left Tackle- Russell Okung will be a free agent after the 2015 season. Garrett Scott was thought to be a developmental prospect here, but a heart condition could derail that thought. Garry Gilliam is an extremely raw athlete, having converted from TE less than a year ago. Alvin Bailey would be a better option at left guard, so they really could use a true LT prospect in this draft.

2. Outside Linebacker- We haven't heard much about extensions for Wright and/or Smith. And they failed to target a true SLB in the draft, which means they may have to lean on Irvin at SLB again.

3. LEO- Schofield and Avril will enter free agency. Avril should command huge money if he has the kind of year many are expecting. Schofield signed a $4 million per year deal with the Giants before it was rescinded when they failed to pass him through his physical due to a supposed knee issue. Mayowa, Jeffcoat, and Irvin are options, but as stated above, Irvin may be needed at SLB. There is a good chance they will need another LEO prospect in this draft.

4. Split End- It appears they may re-sign Baldwin, but allow Kearse, Rice, and Lockette to go elsewhere. If that's the case, then they will need a bigger receiver capable of playing on the line of scrimmage. Norwood could be that guy, but depth will be needed if they fail to keep those three veterans.

5. Cornerback- Maxwell will be a free agent, and Lane is a free agent after 2015. Next man up?

2015 free agents (obviously, some of these guys will not make this year's roster):
WR Doug Baldwin
WR Jermaine Kearse
WR Sidney Rice
WR Ricardo Lockette
WR Taylor Price
WR Bryan Walters
TE Anthony McCoy
G James Carpenter
G Greg Van Roten
G Steve Schilling
C Lemuel Jeanpierre
QB Tarvaris Jackson
QB Terrelle Pryor
OLB K.J. Wright
OLB Malcolm Smith
OLB Mike Morgan
ILB Heath Farwell
DE/OLB O'Brien Schofield
DE Cliff Avril
DT D'Anthony Smith
CB Byron Maxwell
CB Phillip Adams
FS Deshawn Shead
SS Jeron Johnson
LS Clint Gresham

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
You are seriously looking at 2015 drafts needs now?! Two weeks after the conclusion of the 2014 draft and 3 months before the start of the 2014 season?? Lots can change between now and the start of training camp, let alone the season itself. Why don't we let a majority of the season play out before we start discussing a draft that is 11 months away. Look at the number of players under PC/JS that have risen from relative obscurity in a very short period of time to prove themselves as solid contributors within this team. Sherman, chancellor, smith, sweezy, Baldwin, to name a few. I completely look forward to the next "who's he" moving to a place of strength. 2015 free agency will also bring about changes, both negative and positive.

There is just way to much football to be played and player acquisition between now and the 2015 draft to make a list of draft day needs yet. Your list does have some valid arguments that may or may not be addressed by then.

Brahn

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2tt88srl said:
You are seriously looking at 2015 drafts needs now?! Two weeks after the conclusion of the 2014 draft and 3 months before the start of the 2014 season?? Lots can change between now and the start of training camp, let alone the season itself. Why don't we let a majority of the season play out before we start discussing a draft that is 11 months away. Look at the number of players under PC/JS that have risen from relative obscurity in a very short period of time to prove themselves as solid contributors within this team. Sherman, chancellor, smith, sweezy, Baldwin, to name a few. I completely look forward to the next "who's he" moving to a place of strength. 2015 free agency will also bring about changes, both negative and positive.

There is just way to much football to be played and player acquisition between now and the 2015 draft to make a list of draft day needs yet. Your list does have some valid arguments that may or may not be addressed by then.

He is just looking to start a conversation. Other people would enjoy reading this as others also like to look at the future and the present. I like to see other peoples takes on topics, because I like to challenge my own opinions. Your post starts off insulting to the OP and then you go on to add to the conversation as if you want to be involved. Why must you belittle before you contribute? (Self edited, because I wanted to be more insulting)

To the OP:

Thanks for putting the effort and thought into this post OP, while a bit off based on time it did give me an insight as to what the future might hold and thus allow me to focus more on certain position groups this off season to see if some of those needs are filled via talent in training camp. Feel free to update and I will follow and add what I see. We should keep this going for a year so the ones who feel it is early can enjoy a full year of draft prep posts when next years draft rolls around.

ivotuk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1auz751w said:

"Get off my lawn!"

Laloosh

Reaction score
1. QB - too short
2. RB - eats too much candy
3. CB - too tall
4. FS - too small
5. SS - too big

Brahn

Reaction score
Anyone know who the top safeties in the draft for 2015 are? I would like to watch more college ball this season and would like to know who to look out for. The only reason is I swear we will see a 3 safety set on the field again much like when Lawyer was here. I know we had Mark Baron rated high and probably would of drafted him. I wounder if they would take a top talent to use in a 3 Safety set.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Brahn":ax97j4pk said:
Anyone know who the top safeties in the draft for 2015 are? I would like to watch more college ball this season and would like to know who to look out for. The only reason is I swear we will see a 3 safety set on the field again much like when Lawyer was here. I know we had Mark Baron rated high and probably would of drafted him. I wounder if they would take a top talent to use in a 3 Safety set.

I think the Seahawks are looking pretty strong at safety for the next few years. Chancellor and Thomas are locked up through 2017 and 2018. The rookie Eric Pinkins, who possesses some strong measurables, will likely takeover Jeron Johnson's role as Chancellor's primary backup. They have exclusive rights to DeShawn Shead, and I imagine they wil want to exercise those so they have a strong backup to Earl Thomas. If they take a flyer on a rookie safety, it will probably be later in the draft-- fifth round or below.

Here are three guys to look out for as potential safety/DB candidates:

USC's Josh Shaw- 6'1, 200 with 4.4 speed . . . he's started the last couple seasons at FS, SS, and CB. He's an instinctual athlete and very physical in coverage. Last year, he had 67 tackles, including 5.5 for losses of 17 yards, 4 interceptions with one for a TD and 7 deflections, plus he returned a blocked punt 14 yards for a TD. Right now, he's slotted to start at CB once against for the Trojans. Pete recruited him out of high school, but he initially committed to Florida after Pete took the Seahawks job. He has better hips than Pinkins for the CB position, but could also play nickel or either safety position.

Auburn's Robenson Therezie- 5'9, 210 with 4.4 speed . . . physical and very instinctual player who had 57 tackles and a team-leading four INTs last year.

Eastern Washington's Tevin McDonald- 5'11, 190 with 4.5 speed . . . he could be an under-the-radar guy after getting kicked out of UCLA. Great instincts, tackling ability, and ball skills. He could be developed behind Thomas.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Here are some guys to watch for.

1. Cody Prewitt, Ole Miss
2. Karl Joseph, WVU
3. Jeremy Cash, Duke
4. Landon Collins, Alabama
5. Josh Shaw, USC
6. Anthony Harris, UVA

Honestly, I would probably start watching guys not at the top of anyone's list. There were 4 safeties picked in round one this year. Possible that we see that many taken next year as well. Prewitt is going to be someone's next Kam at 6'2" and 220 lbs. A better prospect already relative to Deone Bucannon. Seattle has made it's living picking players generally rated in the 15th and later ranking positionally speaking. I would expect that to continue. It allows the team to add value elsewhere on the team by not having to dip into the DB pool on days one and two.

Also, since Thomas and Chancellor are locked up for at least a couple years -- I'd expect us to focus more on CB. That position group is going to have some level of attrition in 2015 (Maxwell/Lane) after having lost 2 in 2014, and it's still unknown if the investments in 2013 and 2014 will provide relief there.

Latest posts