Teddy Bridgewater says he didn't want to play in Cleveland

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • LINK: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10926 ... and-browns

"I actually told my agent that's not the place where I wanted to be"

Eh?

The guy who had possibly the worst pro-day in NFL history was telling his agent where he did or didn't want to play? And he's willing to make this remark days after being drafted by another team?

There's just something about Bridgewater that seems really awkward. Like he doesn't realise what he's saying. Could you imagine Luck, RGIII or Wilson making that kind of remark the week of the draft? His college performance was way overrated by the cringeworthy "Draft Twitter" too.

I wouldn't want to be Rick Spielman right now, banking my job on him working out. Even with that supporting cast.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Would you want to play in Cleveland given that circus they call a FO?
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• QBs are a bit like coaches and GMs, they require stability. Cleveland just fired their coach after his first season, a season in which the Browns were actually a 3-2 team at one point. They've fired multiple front office guys recently. Their current head coach was basically "plan Z" on their coaching hire list. Their current GM was an in-house hire after firing just about everyone else, he's not quite an interim GM but not far from it either.

Any unproven QB could quickly be on the outs if a new regime comes in with different preferences at QB. That's why stability is very important to young QBs, and Cleveland has been the least stable franchise of any in recent memory.

In a lot of ways, Manziel was the perfect guy for Cleveland. He's a pass/fail QB, and I think we'll know within his very first year which one of those he'll be.

Bridgewater's pro-day was epically bad, but Peyton Manning was not exactly his best in the Super Bowl, and we wouldn't judge him by one performance.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I have no problem with him wanting a stable environment. But he needs to keep his mouth shut.

I feel sorry for Manziel. Haslem was spouting off that Manziel needs to have the attitude that he is the backup, I guess the money gestures on the podium probably got under his skin a bit (I wonder if his Flying J salesmen have that gesture down pat?) and he reacted. Haslem is starting to give off that interfering owner vibe, which is always bad. Always. Trying to change your quarterback's personality through the media after 2 days? Add to that the fact that Manziel lost his best target before one practice snap, and it has the feel of disaster.

The current admin in Cleveland has to operate under the shadow of having been Haslem's 4th or 5th choice. They also operate under the shadow of Norv Turner having gotten good production with yards and touchdowns last year from 3 QBs, but Norv is gone.

Manziel is going to be punching a clock in the factory of sadness.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• I can't really blame Bridgewater from saying that. The Browns franchise is a dumpster fire right now and no one wants to go to that. Especially to come in with the level of excitement and pressure that Manziel is coming in with. Manziel landed in the worst situation imaginable in my mind. I thought it was okay when he had Josh Gordon, but now he loses him and got no WR coming out of the draft? I feel bad for Manziel.

I think Bridgewater answered the question honestly but I believe the phrase "too soon" kind of applies.
    Yxes1122
    NET Rookie

• Yxes1122 wrote:I can't really blame Bridgewater from saying that. The Browns franchise is a dumpster fire right now and no one wants to go to that. .

I know this was said tongue in cheek, but the notion nobody wants to play in Cleveland is ridiculous. I want to play in Cleveland and a million others do too. My point being that it is blasphemy, IMO, for any 1st year player to think he is in some way above playing professional football for any team. Just be grateful, don't act the punk.

I didn't like it when the great John Elway started this crap back in 83 and Bridgewater couldn't carry Elway's jock strap. Combine his piss-poor combine with commentary like this and the kid is well on his way to becoming a joke, IMO.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• I wouldn't wish Cleveland on my worst enemy, but that's still stupid of him.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:LINK: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10926 ... and-browns

"I actually told my agent that's not the place where I wanted to be"

Eh?

The guy who had possibly the worst pro-day in NFL history was telling his agent where he did or didn't want to play? And he's willing to make this remark days after being drafted by another team?

There's just something about Bridgewater that seems really awkward. Like he doesn't realise what he's saying. Could you imagine Luck, RGIII or Wilson making that kind of remark the week of the draft? His college performance was way overrated by the cringeworthy "Draft Twitter" too.

I wouldn't want to be Rick Spielman right now, banking my job on him working out. Even with that supporting cast.

Who would want to go to Cleveland? I'm sure if Manziel had his way, he wouldn't have had Cleveland very high on his list either.

Bridgewater can play and I think he went to the perfect team.. the Vikings aren't as far off as people think.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• HawkWow wrote: My point being that it is blasphemy, IMO, for any 1st year player to think he is in some way above playing professional football for any team. Just be grateful, don't act the punk.

The problem is he has talent that you don't. I think it is great he called out a franchise. Yea some guys just want a spot anywhere others want a spot where they will thrive. good for the guy to know the difference.
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

• Sounds like Eli Manning and other qbs of the past that did their best to go to the team of their choosing.

This stuff probably happens more often then we know.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Scottemojo wrote:I have no problem with him wanting a stable environment. But he needs to keep his mouth shut.

Exactly.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• I have no problem with him saying it and am guessing he never would have,had the report he was their pick and changed their mind come out.

Also his pro day has nothing to do with what he should or shouldnt say.

Also including RG3 in a comparison is laughable. As a rookie he called his own press confrences to give his own injury reports before/after his coach. Even DC media kills for his arrogance. So yes, I could easily see RG3 if asked a question about beimg on a teams card and them changing it at the last second saying something. He wouldnt have to be asked in an interview. He would probably call his own press conference and tell the media on his own.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• The Vikings got a steal with Bridgewater at #32. He's a great fit for that offense. Yeah, he'll need to work on his media relations, but he's only 21 years old. He's not as polished as Wilson, but then again, who is?

Regarding his pro-day, the fact he was drafted in the first round after "the worst pro-day in NFL history" tells me either a) Pro-days don't mean shit, or b) he's college play wasn't as overrated as you think.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Recon_Hawk wrote:a) Pro-days don't mean shit, or b) he's college play wasn't as overrated as you think.

He was Mayocks #1 QB tjrough the begining of the draft process and remained at that position up until the media jumping ship. I want to say well after his pro day, but I dont know exactly when. So fwiw Mayock thought his college play was pretty solid.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Recon_Hawk wrote:The Vikings got a steal with Bridgewater at #32. He's a great fit for that offense. Yeah, he'll need to work on his media relations, but he's only 21 years old. He's not as polished as Wilson, but then again, who is?

Regarding his pro-day, the fact he was drafted in the first round after "the worst pro-day in NFL history" tells me either a) Pro-days don't mean shit, or b) he's college play wasn't as overrated as you think.

There is a lot to like about Teddy the QB, and there is a few things that make you wonder. Which is why I can't call him a steal.

I liked a lot about his college play. There isn't a ton of play action from under center to watch on Teddy, and there are a ton of WR screens that won't work with NFL rules, but he does some stuff that you can't teach too.

I didn't care how bad he was at his pro day. He puts it on the green side of single covered receivers, he shows some talent for pre snap reads, he keeps his eyes down the field when he is moving. There is a lot to like.

Which doesn't change the fact that he is a bit slim, doesn't always set his feet for deep throws, and will likely have some coldweather games that matter in Minnesota, GB, and Chicago for at least the next two years. In addition, I think Teddy likes the spotlight and wants the stats, which is not a thing I love in my QB. Like you said, he is only 21. But that statement in and of itself is a caution, QBs who come out early don't have a great NFL track record.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Recon_Hawk wrote:he's college play wasn't as overrated as you think.

How many potential #1 picks drop to #32 and aren't, in hindsight, considered overrated?

If he'd gone at #33 (where I thought he'd go) instead of #32, what difference does it make?
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    Recon_Hawk wrote:he's college play wasn't as overrated as you think.

How many potential #1 picks drop to #32 and aren't, in hindsight, considered overrated?

If he'd gone at #33 (where I thought he'd go) instead of #32, what difference does it make?

I thought I remembered you wrote you wouldn't have drafted TB even if he fell to the Jags at #39?

Anyway, yeah he was overrated, especially if anyone was saying he should have gone #1, but not overrated by a lot. I don't think a majority of draft twitter guys had him as a #1 pick, though. Most thought he was the #1 QB in the draft (which remains to be seen) and if there was a team drafting a QB in the top 10, they would do better to draft TB than Bortles/Manziel, but most of the #1 talk went out the window soon as Bill O'Brien was hired.

I guess I don't see a QB falling to the late-first as being way overrated. It happens, especially after the top half of the draft where there's no QB needy teams to stop him from falling. Now, Matt Barkley, for example, there's was a guy who deserved being call overrated. He was passed on over and over again after getting early first-rd hype by many (I was one of those guys, btw).
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

He'd be an overdraft if he went at #1. At #32 he's great value.
    zifnab32
    NET Rookie

Lollol. This coming from a guy that had Barkley #1 to the Chiefs. Whatever man. If this board called you out the way they did Kiper you'd stick to soccer.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Potential draftees are too entitled
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:

Lollol. This coming from a guy that had Barkley #1 to the Chiefs. Whatever man. If this board called you out the way they did Kiper you'd stick to soccer.

And if I called people out on all the incorrect predictions they think I made, I wouldn't have any time to write a blog that had 50,000 unique visitors on draft day.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

CALIHAWK1 wrote:

And if I called people out on all the incorrect predictions they think I made, I wouldn't have any time to write a blog that had 50,000 unique visitors on draft day.

You forgot Image
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:

You didnt call Barkley #1 to chiefs? because I clearly remember it.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Hawkfan77 wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:

You forgot Image

For what? Thats his deal. Saying he isnt wrong hoping you forget and when you prove it he says, "oh well, I wont be losing sleep over it." When he is the broken clock he pounds his chest and screams it from a mountain top even when he really isnt. The Carson Palmer episode comes to mind and them house hunting?

Look it is how he makes a living and thats fine. I have no issue with it. The fact he knocks other sites is what is laughable. He frequently knocks other mocks and draft experts and tears down sites like BR.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Actually it's not how I make a living.

I write the blog for free, paying money out of my own pocket to run it, so that Hawks fans can have a unique community to debate the draft.

And I'd rather be that guy instead of the one complaining about something someone else said on the internet three years ago.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Did Teddy Bridgewater fall to the 32nd pick because he was the same caliber of QB as Chad Henne, Geno Smith, or Brock Osweiler? Or did he fall to that far because he didn't fit the old prototypical mold good enough? Like Brees or Wilson? Based on the tape, I think it's the latter. Manziel is the same thing.

I dunno, maybe the specter of Brian Brohm hangs over any Louisville QB who puts up great numbers.

I also get the sense that the cautionary tales of Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, and (arguably) Tannehill have caused an over-reaction by GMs, especially since the 2nd and 3rd rounds have been so productive at QB since 2011. I think Bridgewater fell to #32 not because he deserved to be there, but as a reaction to recent draft history for the position.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Also, I think we've seen that guys who don't have prototypical profiles at QB are not getting drafted as high as they deserve. It's still an awkward time in the NFL when the "new breed" of QB is far from universally accepted.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Actually it's not how I make a living.

I write the blog for free, paying money out of my own pocket to run it, so that Hawks fans can have a unique community to debate the draft.

And I'd rather be that guy instead of the one complaining about something someone else said on the internet three years ago.

In fairness, it's part of your scouting portfolio. You run a draft blog. It make sense if someone is going to make a claim to know the draft they deal with their past grading history.
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I've never once claimed to "know the draft". I have zero expertise. I'm a fan of college football who enjoys talking about the draft and found a way to talk about it every day.

But if we're going to talk about how accurately I projected the 2013 draft, I came joint 7th in the huddle report grading scale that year. This year I finished joint 23rd with Mel Kiper.

So not bad for an amateur from England.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:I've never once claimed to "know the draft". I have zero expertise. I'm a fan of college football who enjoys talking about the draft and found a way to talk about it every day.

But if we're going to talk about how accurately I projected the 2013 draft, I came joint 7th in the huddle report grading scale that year. This year I finished joint 23rd with Mel Kiper.

To be fair, there are a lot of NFL GM's that I question if they "know the draft" or not.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:I've never once claimed to "know the draft". I have zero expertise. I'm a fan of college football who enjoys talking about the draft and found a way to talk about it every day.

Odd enough, some here want you to eat crow for a draft miss, but if you bragged over and over how you called Carpenter to the Hawks or Juan James top 20 before most others you would be thought of as an ass.

I disagree with you plenty, and used to attach some importance to it for I don't know what reason. Now I realize it's just for fun, and differing opinions help me learn.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• I read the article i don't have a problem with what he said. Cleveland has terrible management, i wouldn't want to start my career as an NFL QB in Cleveland either.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• You're missing the point GM.

Whether Teddy Bridgewater wants to play in Cleveland or not, going public was not a classy move. He should be grateful Minnesota moved back into the first round to take him. In fact he should just be grateful to get a shot in the NFL. It's not for him to say where he did or didn't want to play.

And all this stuff about Cleveland is silly. It's not that long ago a certain other team had ownership issues, annual losing seasons and fired coaches after one season.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• The more I think about it, the more it seems like Bridgewater's words were more directed at Manziel than Cleveland. Kind of a yeah, you went before me, but I'm in a better situation type of thing.

Either way, Bridgewater should just focus on where he is. I remember Russ telling his pull the Hawks name out of a hat story, which made fans in Seattle feel good, he never talked bad about any of the 31 franchises that passed on him.

When a guy shows signs of emotional immaturity, which Bridgewater did, you always wonder if it will have some ill effect on his coachability.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:he should just be grateful to get a shot in the NFL. It's not for him to say where he did or didn't want to play.

Saying he should be "grateful" to be in the NFL minimizes all he did to to get to this point. Like any other college player drafted, Bridgewater earned his place to be in the nfl. It took talent, hard work, dedication, blood sweat and tears to get where he is.

Professional athletes aren't given anything. They work for it their whole lives. They play through pain. They give up social events and time with family. They even sacrifice schooling. Yeah, they made the choice to pursue a professional sports career, but like a student who dedicates 7 years to become a lawyer, they understood there's a market for their skills if they are capable of it.

Take Clowney and the Andrew Luck for example. Would you say they should be grateful to be in the NFL or is it really the Texans and Colts who should feel fortunate enough to have drafted them? I think most would say it's the teams who lucked out there.

You know who should be grateful? The historically, poorly ran NFL teams like the Cleveland Browns who don't have to compete for the rights of players because of the format of the NFL draft. If any other person dedicated their lives to a profession and was the top of their graduating class nationwide, they'd have the choice of their employer. Not in the NFL. Rookies have no say, even when getting paid a small percentage of a veteran free agent who can choose which team they want to play for and are rarely crucified for admitting to not wanting to play for a different team for whatever reason.

Bridgewater should have left Cleveland out of it, but his words hardly take way the fact he earned the right to be in the NFL.

I've never once claimed to "know the draft". I have zero expertise. I'm a fan of college football who enjoys talking about the draft and found a way to talk about it every day.

I was actually talking about personal draft grades. Projecting the first round doesn't truly reflect our own boards with lots of it coming from media and scout source information.

Take my mock draft I posted on .Net. If I counted correctly using Huddle Report scoring system and they include my Vikings selection of Bridgewater with the #8 pick as a 2 point player match, I finished with 41 points. Tied for 3rd. Still, I didn't necessarily agree with some of those picks I had in those spots, as I'm sure a lot you didn't agree with some of yours either.
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I think Bridgewater's comments were just fine.

There was a chance, but I actually told my agent that's not the place where I wanted to be. Throughout this entire process I felt comfortable with the Minnesota Vikings. Every visit that I had with the team, you know, there was a family environment and the players, great guys. A great group of guys. So I felt comfortable wanting to play here.

It's possible that he really wanted to go to Minnesota and nowhere else rather than specifically not Cleveland. By saying "...not the place...", he implies there was a specific place in mind he wanted to go. Or maybe he's just trying to be loyal to the team that drafted him.
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• John Elway and Eli Manning laugh at this topic.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• MizzouHawkGal wrote:Would you want to play in Cleveland given that circus they call a FO?

I sure as hell wouldn't be dumb enough to say it. Besides, a stud QB can turn any franchise around, really.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:Would you want to play in Cleveland given that circus they call a FO?

I sure as hell wouldn't be dumb enough to say it. Besides, a stud QB can turn any franchise around, really.

To CPs point Elway doesnt get any heat for his refusal to stunt.

I wouldnt want to play in Cleveland and I dont care nor do I think its dumb that he said it. Players often do and say things to motivate themselves. Same as taking something someone else said and using it as motivation.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:04 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information