Brandon Coleman

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Brandon Coleman
Sun May 11, 2014 11:24 pm
  • I guess there's more than just being 6'6". FWIW, I thought he'd get drafted somewhere around the 4th. I'm surprised he went undrafted.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    User avatar
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2064
    Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm
    Location: Vancouver, Wa


Re: Brandon Coleman
Mon May 12, 2014 3:18 am
  • What a difference a year makes. He wouldn't have escaped the 1st in 2013.

    I like him with the Saints but don't expect to see him feature this year.

    Could be another Colstonesque steal for them.
    User avatar
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 516
    Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 6:33 am
    Location: United Kingdom


Re: Brandon Coleman
Mon May 12, 2014 8:23 am
  • As with Antonio Richardson, knee situation had an impact.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7963
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Brandon Coleman
Mon May 12, 2014 11:01 am
  • SomersetHawk wrote:What a difference a year makes. He wouldn't have escaped the 1st in 2013.

    I like him with the Saints but don't expect to see him feature this year.

    Could be another Colstonesque steal for them.


    New Orleans is probably the best spot for him. I don't think he would have been a first rounder in 2013, but 2nd/3rd was a real possibility. I hope he's healthy enough to play some pre-season.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    User avatar
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2064
    Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm
    Location: Vancouver, Wa


Re: Brandon Coleman
Mon May 12, 2014 11:15 am
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:As with Antonio Richardson, knee situation had an impact.


    No doubt about it, but enough to cause him to go undrafted? We've seen a lot of players drafted with knee injury concerns: Brandon Thomas, Jesse Williams, Easley, Lattimore. Keenan Allen might be the best comparison of a receiver who's knee injury caused a slide in the draft process, but whose talent deserved a chance to be drafted.

    More than going undrafted, I'm surprised he decided to enter the draft with another year of eligibility, if he felt anywhere less than 100%.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    User avatar
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2064
    Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm
    Location: Vancouver, Wa


Re: Brandon Coleman
Mon May 12, 2014 2:40 pm
  • I read a report that said the Pats rated him highly until they did more work on the issue. Both Coleman and Richardson are too good to go undrafted. It's a shame for both of them but every year there's 2-3 names like this. Almost makes you wish there was a way to analyse/advise them in college so they can make a better educated decision on whether to declare or not.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7963
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Brandon Coleman
Mon May 12, 2014 3:38 pm
  • Guys, Brandon Coleman went undrafted because he is absolutely horrid, it's that simple. I've seen him play, quite a bit. He runs one route (Go's down the sideline), can't get any separation whatsoever, and has tennis racquets for hands. At best he's a poor (nay, destitute) man's Ramses Barden, and Ramses Barden was a poor man's nothing.
    User avatar
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 676
    Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:04 pm


Re: Brandon Coleman
Mon May 12, 2014 3:49 pm
  • Sorry -- but there's no way Coleman and Richardson went undrafted without an injury problem.

    Even if you don't rate either of those guys, they aren't UDFA level. Ramses Barden who you refer to had almost identical physical measurables but ran a slower forty time and went in round three.

    Same with people like Jackson Jeffcoat. Health issues, how long a player might last. These things play a part. Some players are so good you take a shot (Easley, Kouandjio). The rest sink like a ton of bricks.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7963
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Brandon Coleman
Mon May 12, 2014 3:58 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Ramses Barden who you refer to had almost identical physical measurables but ran a slower forty time and went in round three.

    Yep, and he was absolutely awful and is now out of the league. The NFL has learned that drafting WR's whose sole redeeming quality is simply being tall, is a bad idea. Coleman could have bionic knees and it wouldn't change the fact that he is a horrendous football player. And THAT is why he was undrafted.
    User avatar
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 676
    Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:04 pm


Re: Brandon Coleman
Mon May 12, 2014 5:03 pm
  • NorthDallas40oz wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Ramses Barden who you refer to had almost identical physical measurables but ran a slower forty time and went in round three.

    Yep, and he was absolutely awful and is now out of the league. The NFL has learned that drafting WR's whose sole redeeming quality is simply being tall, is a bad idea. Coleman could have bionic knees and it wouldn't change the fact that he is a horrendous football player. And THAT is why he was undrafted.


    Nope.
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2506
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


Re: Brandon Coleman
Tue May 13, 2014 12:32 am
  • NorthDallas40oz wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Ramses Barden who you refer to had almost identical physical measurables but ran a slower forty time and went in round three.

    Yep, and he was absolutely awful and is now out of the league. The NFL has learned that drafting WR's whose sole redeeming quality is simply being tall, is a bad idea. Coleman could have bionic knees and it wouldn't change the fact that he is a horrendous football player. And THAT is why he was undrafted.


    Right, so the entire league doesn't want a 6-6 receiver who was the speed to run away from DB's for 80 yard touchdowns. They don't even want to entertain the idea of drafting that guy in the 6th and developing him. Because Ramses Barden sucked as a third rounder.

    Come on man. This is silly.

    His knee situation led to the fall. Confirmed here: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index ... _knee.html
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7963
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Brandon Coleman
Wed May 14, 2014 10:55 am
  • NorthDallas40oz wrote:Guys, Brandon Coleman went undrafted because he is absolutely horrid, it's that simple. I've seen him play, quite a bit. He runs one route (Go's down the sideline), can't get any separation whatsoever, and has tennis racquets for hands. At best he's a poor (nay, destitute) man's Ramses Barden, and Ramses Barden was a poor man's nothing.


    Well done. Plus he's a guy that plays shorter than his size...so, so much for size. I still can't get my head around the love for this guy. I actually raised my grade on him to a 5th because so many were enamored with him I felt I must be missing something. To me, he's to WRs as Terrelle Pryor is to QBs: Tall and lacking basic fundamentals required for the position.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5221
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


Re: Brandon Coleman
Wed May 14, 2014 3:54 pm
  • Coleman was just the latest prospect to be woefully overrated by .NET

    I will say though, he probably landed in a great spot.. if he doesn't stick in New Orleans, he won't stick anywhere.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 4859
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


Re: Brandon Coleman
Wed May 14, 2014 5:39 pm
  • Woefully overrated.

    If he stays healthy and in that offense, we'll see.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7963
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Brandon Coleman
Wed May 14, 2014 7:55 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Woefully overrated.

    If he stays healthy and in that offense, we'll see.


    You compared him to Calvin Johnson, who at the end of his career could very well be the best WR of all-time.. I mean.. if that's not overrated.....

    He's a big target and maybe turns into a Colston type for the Saints, but yes.. on this board he was crazy overhyped. Many wanted to take him at 32. I know he had the knee injury, but Marqise Lee's knee deemed him undraftable by half the league and he still went at the top of round 2.

    To me he's more Ramses Barden or Tyrone Calico than a successful NFL WR, but again New Orleans turns unknown guys into gems all the time with that pass happy offense, so who knows?
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 4859
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


Re: Brandon Coleman
Wed May 14, 2014 10:30 pm
  • If anyone is interested, there was already a Brandon Coleman thread in NFL nation. Much of the same things were said there. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=92908 I've seen him play. I think he's had revolving QB's and dealt with some injuries. .Net isn't the only place that had some speaking highly of Coleman. Like him or not, he's got his shot and with a good team.

    Kearly is respected here at .net and he had Coleman rated above both receivers the Seahawks selected. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=91776
    Last edited by TeamoftheCentury on Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    World Champion
    Image
    Seattle Seahawks
    User avatar
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 923
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:54 am
    Location: Orlando, FL


Re: Brandon Coleman
Fri May 16, 2014 2:30 am
  • I've been watching a few games of Missouri games to get a feel for Justin Britt and seeing a lot of Dorial Green-Beckham making plays in a variety of ways. When compared to Coleman it really does show the difference between a 6'6" receiver who deserves the first round hype (not taking character concerns into consideration) and a 6'6" player overhyped on potential. Seriously, Coleman never has and never will play the game like DGB. I don't mean to knock Coleman, but the gap between those two is so far apart it's a bit comical now to think he was ever considered a first round talent.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    User avatar
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2064
    Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm
    Location: Vancouver, Wa


Re: Brandon Coleman
Fri May 16, 2014 6:09 am
  • Recon_Hawk wrote:I've been watching a few games of Missouri games to get a feel for Justin Britt and seeing a lot of Dorial Green-Beckham making plays in a variety of ways. When compared to Coleman it really does show the difference between a 6'6" receiver who deserves the first round hype (not taking character concerns into consideration) and a 6'6" player overhyped on potential. Seriously, Coleman never has and never will play the game like DGB. I don't mean to knock Coleman, but the gap between those two is so far apart it's a bit comical now to think he was ever considered a first round talent.


    Right now I'd have to agree. I think Coleman can have success but his ceiling isn't Megatron; his measurables aren't even close. Before his injury I could conceivably see him being a 1st round prospect, so to say it's comical that he was 'ever' considered a first rounder is a stretch.

    As for DGB, now that's sad. Sucks to see these kind of prospects throwing away their opportunities. If he got his head screwed on then he really could be great. Last I heard is that Eastern Illinois had enquired about him but Missouri haven't actually released him yet. A change would probably do him good, and let's not forget our first draft pick got kicked off his team. Hope he can get back on track.
    User avatar
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 516
    Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 6:33 am
    Location: United Kingdom


Re: Brandon Coleman
Fri May 16, 2014 6:22 am
  • It feels like the motives of some of this post draft sniping are less than kind. A few seem to want to rub some faces in a failure. AMIRITE? A lot of chest thumping in here. Chest thumpers beware, it's a long fall when you are wrong.

    I thought Jesse Williams was a first round prospect, what ever the hell that means. I didn't know he had a chronic knee. I thought Matt Barkley would go in the first ten picks. I thought Darrius Heyward Bey was a 5th round prospect, and the Jenkins kid the Niners took in the first as well. So how can I throw stones at the guys who thought Coleman would go high in the draft? I don't know shit either.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11023
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


Re: Brandon Coleman
Fri May 16, 2014 8:27 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:You compared him to Calvin Johnson


    In 2012, after his first full season in college football, based on his size/speed potential, pre-reconstructed knee.

    Don't try too hard.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7963
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Brandon Coleman
Fri May 16, 2014 10:58 am
  • SomersetHawk wrote:
    Recon_Hawk wrote:I've been watching a few games of Missouri games to get a feel for Justin Britt and seeing a lot of Dorial Green-Beckham making plays in a variety of ways. When compared to Coleman it really does show the difference between a 6'6" receiver who deserves the first round hype (not taking character concerns into consideration) and a 6'6" player overhyped on potential. Seriously, Coleman never has and never will play the game like DGB. I don't mean to knock Coleman, but the gap between those two is so far apart it's a bit comical now to think he was ever considered a first round talent.


    Right now I'd have to agree. I think Coleman can have success but his ceiling isn't Megatron; his measurables aren't even close. Before his injury I could conceivably see him being a 1st round prospect, so to say it's comical that he was 'ever' considered a first rounder is a stretch.

    As for DGB, now that's sad. Sucks to see these kind of prospects throwing away their opportunities. If he got his head screwed on then he really could be great. Last I heard is that Eastern Illinois had enquired about him but Missouri haven't actually released him yet. A change would probably do him good, and let's not forget our first draft pick got kicked off his team. Hope he can get back on track.


    At this time last year, I wouldn't have said it was comical to say Coleman was a first round possibility heading into the 2014 season, but hindsight is 20-20. I saw much of the same things other people saw to agree that he had talent, but needed to improve on some issues. Saying it was comical is based on what I've seen his last two seasons.

    Coleman was reported to have been given a 3rd round grade from the advisory board after his sophomore year and was considered a mid-round grade after this last year, with most grading him on potential. I think if you asked people to be honest on why they had a first round grade predictions on BC after 2012, it was based on him fixing his route-running, high-pointing the ball, hands, body control, and competitiveness going into his junior year. Problem is, he only regressed or stayed the same this last season. When the same issues shows itself to be a problem two years in a row, you have to take potential out of the equation and grade on what you see on tape, which, imo, wasn't close to the projection grades he was getting.
    Last edited by Recon_Hawk on Fri May 16, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    User avatar
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2064
    Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm
    Location: Vancouver, Wa


Re: Brandon Coleman
Fri May 16, 2014 11:16 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:It feels like the motives of some of this post draft sniping are less than kind. A few seem to want to rub some faces in a failure. AMIRITE? A lot of chest thumping in here. Chest thumpers beware, it's a long fall when you are wrong.

    I thought Jesse Williams was a first round prospect, what ever the hell that means. I didn't know he had a chronic knee. I thought Matt Barkley would go in the first ten picks. I thought Darrius Heyward Bey was a 5th round prospect, and the Jenkins kid the Niners took in the first as well. So how can I throw stones at the guys who thought Coleman would go high in the draft? I don't know shit either.


    We debate for months on prospects, but once the draft is over we hardly ever go back and discuss why we may have missed or hit on prospects. There's a lot to learn by opening it back up to discussion after the fact, if only to improve on our scouting ability.

    Brandon Coleman is an interesting case study because of all that surrounded him. He's been one of the most debated players on this board, with posters on both ends of the spectrum on where he'll be drafted. A huge potential guy with humungous size and speed, but questionable skills. A crappy QB throwing to him, but with injury concerns, too.

    This conversation could easily be about why Marqise Lee was passed on by Seattle, though he was considered a top-15 talent the last two years or why Allen Robinson fell to the late 2nd round when he was graded by many as a first rounder or even why martavis bryant went in the fourth round when he seemed to fit exactly what Seattle wanted.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    User avatar
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2064
    Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm
    Location: Vancouver, Wa


Re: Brandon Coleman
Fri May 16, 2014 1:17 pm
  • Recon_Hawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:It feels like the motives of some of this post draft sniping are less than kind. A few seem to want to rub some faces in a failure. AMIRITE? A lot of chest thumping in here. Chest thumpers beware, it's a long fall when you are wrong.

    I thought Jesse Williams was a first round prospect, what ever the hell that means. I didn't know he had a chronic knee. I thought Matt Barkley would go in the first ten picks. I thought Darrius Heyward Bey was a 5th round prospect, and the Jenkins kid the Niners took in the first as well. So how can I throw stones at the guys who thought Coleman would go high in the draft? I don't know shit either.


    We debate for months on prospects, but once the draft is over we hardly ever go back and discuss why we may have missed or hit on prospects. There's a lot to learn by opening it back up to discussion after the fact, if only to improve on our scouting ability.



    Post mortems are ok. But that's clearly not where this thread was ever going. This is purely a draftnik wedgie being applied after the fact. Even to the point of blatantly taking 2 year quotes out of context to embellish the criticism.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 712
    Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm


Re: Brandon Coleman
Fri May 16, 2014 7:54 pm
  • Recon_Hawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:It feels like the motives of some of this post draft sniping are less than kind. A few seem to want to rub some faces in a failure. AMIRITE? A lot of chest thumping in here. Chest thumpers beware, it's a long fall when you are wrong.

    I thought Jesse Williams was a first round prospect, what ever the hell that means. I didn't know he had a chronic knee. I thought Matt Barkley would go in the first ten picks. I thought Darrius Heyward Bey was a 5th round prospect, and the Jenkins kid the Niners took in the first as well. So how can I throw stones at the guys who thought Coleman would go high in the draft? I don't know shit either.


    We debate for months on prospects, but once the draft is over we hardly ever go back and discuss why we may have missed or hit on prospects. There's a lot to learn by opening it back up to discussion after the fact, if only to improve on our scouting ability.


    Perhaps that's because it's foolish to grade a player solely on the round he was chosen in. Right now is not "after the fact", it's still during, as in Coleman still gets the chance to prove he was worthy of a first round pick like many thought he was.
    User avatar
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1885
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 3:16 pm
    Location: Lacey, WA


Re: Brandon Coleman
Fri May 16, 2014 10:13 pm
  • Spounge84 wrote:
    Recon_Hawk wrote:We debate for months on prospects, but once the draft is over we hardly ever go back and discuss why we may have missed or hit on prospects. There's a lot to learn by opening it back up to discussion after the fact, if only to improve on our scouting ability.


    Perhaps that's because it's foolish to grade a player solely on the round he was chosen in. Right now is not "after the fact", it's still during, as in Coleman still gets the chance to prove he was worthy of a first round pick like many thought he was.


    The draft is the biggest indicator of how all 32 teams view these players to this point. Instead of quotes from anonymous scouts to support our personal draft grades, we've had an actual system play out in front of us which, by design, shows the value the league has on these players through its choice of picks, or in some cases, its choice of who itsn't picked. You don't have to wait 3 years to gain some perspective from it.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    User avatar
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2064
    Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm
    Location: Vancouver, Wa


Re: Brandon Coleman
Sun May 18, 2014 5:26 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:You compared him to Calvin Johnson


    In 2012, after his first full season in college football, based on his size/speed potential, pre-reconstructed knee.

    Don't try too hard.


    Missed the point. I said he was grossly overrated ON THIS SITE .. that was just a small sampling of evidence.

    If he pans out as an UDFA it wouldn't surprise me.. happens quite a bit these days with receivers.. I'm just saying his bandwagon had a lot more people on it than it probably should have.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 4859
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


Re: Brandon Coleman
Wed May 21, 2014 12:45 pm
  • Everyone on this board has been wrong about a player they liked or didn't like but the draft is over it's time to move on. Besides a better time to look at these players is at the end of the year after they have played some actual NFL football.
    User avatar
    General Manager
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2260
    Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 pm


Re: Brandon Coleman
Fri May 23, 2014 6:56 am
  • He's in a good situation in NO. Just because he went undrafted doesn't mean he's a bust, or that he lacks talent. Knee issue, simple as that. Lest we not forget how talented and crucial UDFA's are as Seahawks fans. ADB, anyone?

    His stock fell, knee injury, but yes, he's also probably a bit raw at WR; but, he's a kid, he has time to develop, and with hard work he will learn. You can't teach 6'6''.
    User avatar
    RockinHawks
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 480
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:52 pm


Re: Brandon Coleman
Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:22 pm
  • Can someone explain to me why the dude who rode the Flynn over Wilson bandwagon for 6 months gets to throw stones?
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15027
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR




It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:20 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online