Did the Resignation of Scott Mcloughlin Affect Hawks Draft?

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • Was curious to read you guys' input. Obviously you guys can't really confirm anything. It's not like PC or JS are going to shed any light on that.

I was just curious if Mcloughlin's absence had an impact on your draft strategies.. Did you guys draft players you don't normally draft (a la, players with character issues, or players with shorter arm lengths, etc.) I understand you guys drafted a lot of seniors who seem to be high character guys. Is that routine for you guys? Are there any noticeable patterns from your draft class, or any noticeable patterns lacking that were prevalent in previous draft classes?

I understand Mcloughlin wasn't really in your FO for that long, and that JS is mostly running the show.. I am just curious I guess..
    Front7vLOB
    NET Practice Squad

• Not really. McCloughlin just resigned too, so it's not like this draft prep had nothing to do with him.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• I think the homework was already done, secondly he was still a consultant type if I remember correctly when it was announced. Also our draft was very much the norm for us, guys that have huge upside and are competitors and students of the game with great physical attributes of one type of another. We have not went after a name guy really since Okung and Thomas who by the way people were suprised about since he was so small and everyone had us taking Mays.

We as the 49ers have embraced the redshirt year as far as the draft also, many of our own fans discount that value or forget they exist. I think this year we start seeing the fruits of that philosophy and mnore next year as we churn roster and contracts start coming up on certain players.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Wasn't anything different than before, guys with unique and special abilities.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Front7vLOB wrote:.....I understand you guys drafted a lot of seniors who seem to be high character guys. Is that routine for you guys? .......

Cassius Marsh has had several issues including getting tossed from games for fist fighting. So um, no, not every pick as you described.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Front7vLOB wrote:.....I understand you guys drafted a lot of seniors who seem to be high character guys. Is that routine for you guys? .......

Cassius Marsh has had several issues including getting tossed from games for fist fighting. So um, no, not every pick as you described.

True, but I don't remember seeing anything about off the field issues. :229031_shrug:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Short answer to the question posed by the thread. No!

Things appeared to continue along the regular path taken by the team since the arrival of JS and PC.

Bigger, faster, stronger, longer-armed parameters were this year combined with a new factor which is the ability to be mentally tough in order to survive the competition inherent and part of the personnel process taken by the team to cull out the non-keepers each year.

The depth is improving year over year and our castoffs are in demand. It was a shame that Mcloughlin left and perhaps it was mutually necessary. Ultimately his input was a positive but his leaving may hurt next year but he left so late this year the team was close to being ready.
    Last edited by jammerhawk on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons.

What a special magical year!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• It's way too early to tell how this draft will turn out. They didn't discover Garrett Scott's medical condition before the draft, but doubt Mcloughlin would have had much of an effect on that. Jimmy Staten looks like huge reach, but again can't say what effect Mcloughlin would have had. I believe the Pryor trade occured right before Mcloughlin resigned.
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2014 wrote:It's way too early to tell how this draft will turn out.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Arent you the one that started the "biggest bust of this draft" thread?
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    hawknation2014 wrote:It's way too early to tell how this draft will turn out.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Arent you the one that started the "biggest bust of this draft" thread?

And I believe I prefaced that thread with the exact same sentiment.

hawknation2014 wrote:It's still very early, but . . .
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2014 wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:

"It's still very early" and "its way too early" arent the same thing.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    hawknation2014 wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:

"It's still very early" and "its way too early" arent the same thing.

LOL, I can't believe you went there.

Are you really arguing about the difference between "very" and "way too"?

In both comments I expressed the same sentiment that although it is too early to know for sure, Staten looks like a reach in the Fifth Round, and it appears they missed something in Scott's pre-draft physical. It must be the off-season because this debate over semantics is very (way too) ridiculous.
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:43 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information