What we can learn from who we didn't draft...

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • Didn't draft a TE: this tells me once Jermichael Finley is cleared medically that he will be signed to be a big part of our offense

    Didn't draft a MIKE lb: Front office plans on resigning Bobby Wagner and he will be our long term middle linebacker

    Didn't draft a highly ranked DT: Some people have been speculating that we are thin at DT, obviously the front office feels otherwise. They talked about moving Marsh around the line like they do with Bennett, but at 250 lbs he will be spending more time at LEO and DE than DT.

    Didn't draft a Guard: Tom Cable feels good about Bailey and Sweezy and maybe Decastro. If Bowie wins the battle at LT like I expect, then Britt might play some guard for us this year.

    No running back: they feel good about Turbin and Michael.....I think them drafting Small is more about them replacing Ware. Small's strength as a full black is blocking from I formation and that happens to be Coleman's weakness. Small will be Robinson's replacement.

    No Corner: Pinkins will take at least two years to adjust from playing safety....this tells me that Maxwell is part of the Seahawks long term plans (as he very well should be...the kid played like a top 10 corner last year)
    VegasSeahawkFan
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 36
    Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:12 am


  • One small quibble, perhaps a typo? Bailey at LT? I don't think so. Try RT. ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 10493
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Monroe, WA


  • Did you mean Bowie as backup LT? (my assumption is that Britt was drafted to and will replace Breno at RT)

    I still am not convinced about Finley coming here. With Miller, Willson and McCoy already under contract I just don't see it.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

    ImageImage

    Proud member of the 38 club
    User avatar
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13672
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • DT: Rumor was DT Dominic Easley was our man in the 1st, so we much have thought we could improve.

    CB: We do have Lane and the humble thug for a few years, we can coach up DB's better than any other. Maxwell wiill not be worth the $ he can get.
    Image
    User avatar
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2231
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 am
    Location: Graham, WA


  • DeCastro?
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8286
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:DeCastro?


    That's how shrewd this FO is.. we had DeCastro this whole time and no one knew about it. ;)
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 5654
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • VegasSeahawkFan wrote:Didn't draft a TE: this tells me once Jermichael Finley is cleared medically that he will be signed to be a big part of our offense


    I disagree. I think the FO feels comfortable where they are at TE now that Zach Miller restructured. McCoy is back, Willson will continue to play and Miller will still be the starter. Beckum and Heifet will compete with McCoy for that 3rd TE spot.. but would be really surprised if Finley were brought on board especially after drafting 2 WR's

    VegasSeahawkFan wrote:Didn't draft a MIKE lb: Front office plans on resigning Bobby Wagner and he will be our long term middle linebacker


    I do agree that Wagner's extension will be a priority next year. But I don't know if the draft necessarily reflects that. KJ Wright can slide over to play the MIKE spot and then they have since added depth at OLB/LEO .. so really I don't see any new news coming from not drafting an ILB.. particularly when that wasn't a very strong position in this years draft.

    VegasSeahawkFan wrote:Didn't draft a highly ranked DT: Some people have been speculating that we are thin at DT, obviously the front office feels otherwise. They talked about moving Marsh around the line like they do with Bennett, but at 250 lbs he will be spending more time at LEO and DE than DT.


    They wanted Easley at 32.. didn't get him. So don't particularly agree with this either. Could just be more of a case that the DT's they wanted weren't available when they were selecting more than anything.

    VegasSeahawkFan wrote:Didn't draft a Guard: Tom Cable feels good about Bailey and Sweezy and maybe Decastro. If Bowie wins the battle at LT like I expect, then Britt might play some guard for us this year.


    Very similar to the MLB dilemma, the guards in this draft left a lot to be desired after Martin and Su'a Filo. Sankey dropped like a rock.. so that should say something. I believe you had a typo about Bowie, but its apparent Britt and Bowie will fight for the starting RT spot. Garrett Scott figures to get a crack at left guard with Bailey and Carp. So basically it will be really interesting to see what happens in camp/preseason.

    VegasSeahawkFan wrote:No running back: they feel good about Turbin and Michael.....I think them drafting Small is more about them replacing Ware. Small's strength as a full black is blocking from I formation and that happens to be Coleman's weakness. Small will be Robinson's replacement.


    I think Small and Ware will compete for a spot, but fully expect Coleman to win the job. I wouldn't be surprised if Small didn't make the team to be honest. Would be stunned if hes the starting FB come Sept. 4

    VegasSeahawkFan wrote:No Corner: Pinkins will take at least two years to adjust from playing safety....this tells me that Maxwell is part of the Seahawks long term plans (as he very well should be...the kid played like a top 10 corner last year)


    Well Pinkins was drafted to be a corner, and is likely that developmental guy that will be inactive every week or sit on the practice squad. This is our system basically.. they pick up these kids with all the raw tools to be a corner in this system and they develop them into starting caliber players. I disagree that Maxwell is in our long term plans, because simply put, if Maxwell plays at the same level he did last year.. hes going to get #1 corner money somewhere. And that's fine, Lane and Simon are next in line to take over. Pinkins, I am sure, will be developed in such a manner to move up when Lane leaves in FA.. and so forth and so on.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 5654
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • Pinkins has played CB, it's not a foreign position for him, we are stacked at DB, go look at the offcial roster.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 11663
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • I agree about Finley. I still think we sign him.

    And why does everyone keep saying Eeasly was our target?
    Wasn't it a Patriots beat writer that made up that rumour???? Ya screw that. Don't believe it
    Last edited by chris98251 on Sun May 11, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: can't mask a certain word in main forums.
    Ziggyy108
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 390
    Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:07 pm


  • Ziggyy108 wrote:I agree about Finley. I still think we sign him.

    And why does everyone keep saying Eeasly was our target?
    Wasn't it a Patriots beat writer that made up that rumour???? Ya screw that. Don't believe it


    Just like the rumor of all the teams wanting Irvin. If a team reaches for a player, they like to put it out there that other teams wanted said player.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2287
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


  • Ian Rapoport also touched on Seattle's interest in Easley. Think he said New England chose not to trade down because they didn't want to lose him to the Seahawks.

    And I believe there was a fairly obvious deflation in the war room once Easley left the board. That's what people who were watching the live feed said any way.

    To be honest they'd be bloody stupid not to be interested in Easley. He's an absolutely fantastic player. Smart teams like the Pats and Seahawks get it. I bet he wouldn't have got past both San Fran and Denver to be fair.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8286
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • VegasSeahawkFan wrote:Didn't draft a MIKE lb: Front office plans on resigning Bobby Wagner and he will be our long term middle linebacker


    This really doesn't tell us anything about long term plans for MLB. Wagner only has two years in the league, so he has two years left before free agency. There's no reason to draft a linebacker to sit on the bench for two years. Wagner proved you can plug in a rookie linebacker and get good results. Even if they don't expect that immediate impact again, one year learning the system should be enough.
    User avatar
    Erebus
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 791
    Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:53 pm
    Location: Ft. Meade, MD


  • Wenhawk wrote:DT: Rumor was DT Dominic Easley was our man in the 1st, so we much have thought we could improve.

    I don't buy this rumor. Seemed like more lazy connection done by the media than anything else. "Easley played at Florida, Quinn coached at Florida so Seattle must really want him."

    The Hawks are so tight lipped, I don't think it's realistic for anyone to know who we missed out on or who we didn't.
    Last edited by Hawkfan77 on Sun May 11, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    User avatar
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1690
    Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:DeCastro?


    I'm assuming he meant Schilling, they played at Bellevue HS together for two seasons.
    drrew
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 509
    Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:50 am




It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:23 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online