What we can learn from who we didn't draft...

VegasSeahawkFan

Reaction score
Didn't draft a TE: this tells me once Jermichael Finley is cleared medically that he will be signed to be a big part of our offense

Didn't draft a MIKE lb: Front office plans on resigning Bobby Wagner and he will be our long term middle linebacker

Didn't draft a highly ranked DT: Some people have been speculating that we are thin at DT, obviously the front office feels otherwise. They talked about moving Marsh around the line like they do with Bennett, but at 250 lbs he will be spending more time at LEO and DE than DT.

Didn't draft a Guard: Tom Cable feels good about Bailey and Sweezy and maybe Decastro. If Bowie wins the battle at LT like I expect, then Britt might play some guard for us this year.

No running back: they feel good about Turbin and Michael.....I think them drafting Small is more about them replacing Ware. Small's strength as a full black is blocking from I formation and that happens to be Coleman's weakness. Small will be Robinson's replacement.

No Corner: Pinkins will take at least two years to adjust from playing safety....this tells me that Maxwell is part of the Seahawks long term plans (as he very well should be...the kid played like a top 10 corner last year)

sutz

Reaction score
One small quibble, perhaps a typo? Bailey at LT? I don't think so. Try RT. ;)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Did you mean Bowie as backup LT? (my assumption is that Britt was drafted to and will replace Breno at RT)

I still am not convinced about Finley coming here. With Miller, Willson and McCoy already under contract I just don't see it.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
DT: Rumor was DT Dominic Easley was our man in the 1st, so we much have thought we could improve.

CB: We do have Lane and the humble thug for a few years, we can coach up DB's better than any other. Maxwell wiill not be worth the $ he can get.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":15bvlbtu said:
DeCastro?

That's how shrewd this FO is.. we had DeCastro this whole time and no one knew about it. ;)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
VegasSeahawkFan":2i50ps5b said:
Didn't draft a TE: this tells me once Jermichael Finley is cleared medically that he will be signed to be a big part of our offense

I disagree. I think the FO feels comfortable where they are at TE now that Zach Miller restructured. McCoy is back, Willson will continue to play and Miller will still be the starter. Beckum and Heifet will compete with McCoy for that 3rd TE spot.. but would be really surprised if Finley were brought on board especially after drafting 2 WR's

Didn't draft a MIKE lb: Front office plans on resigning Bobby Wagner and he will be our long term middle linebacker

I do agree that Wagner's extension will be a priority next year. But I don't know if the draft necessarily reflects that. KJ Wright can slide over to play the MIKE spot and then they have since added depth at OLB/LEO .. so really I don't see any new news coming from not drafting an ILB.. particularly when that wasn't a very strong position in this years draft.

Didn't draft a highly ranked DT: Some people have been speculating that we are thin at DT, obviously the front office feels otherwise. They talked about moving Marsh around the line like they do with Bennett, but at 250 lbs he will be spending more time at LEO and DE than DT.

They wanted Easley at 32.. didn't get him. So don't particularly agree with this either. Could just be more of a case that the DT's they wanted weren't available when they were selecting more than anything.

Didn't draft a Guard: Tom Cable feels good about Bailey and Sweezy and maybe Decastro. If Bowie wins the battle at LT like I expect, then Britt might play some guard for us this year.

Very similar to the MLB dilemma, the guards in this draft left a lot to be desired after Martin and Su'a Filo. Sankey dropped like a rock.. so that should say something. I believe you had a typo about Bowie, but its apparent Britt and Bowie will fight for the starting RT spot. Garrett Scott figures to get a crack at left guard with Bailey and Carp. So basically it will be really interesting to see what happens in camp/preseason.

No running back: they feel good about Turbin and Michael.....I think them drafting Small is more about them replacing Ware. Small's strength as a full black is blocking from I formation and that happens to be Coleman's weakness. Small will be Robinson's replacement.

I think Small and Ware will compete for a spot, but fully expect Coleman to win the job. I wouldn't be surprised if Small didn't make the team to be honest. Would be stunned if hes the starting FB come Sept. 4

No Corner: Pinkins will take at least two years to adjust from playing safety....this tells me that Maxwell is part of the Seahawks long term plans (as he very well should be...the kid played like a top 10 corner last year)

Well Pinkins was drafted to be a corner, and is likely that developmental guy that will be inactive every week or sit on the practice squad. This is our system basically.. they pick up these kids with all the raw tools to be a corner in this system and they develop them into starting caliber players. I disagree that Maxwell is in our long term plans, because simply put, if Maxwell plays at the same level he did last year.. hes going to get #1 corner money somewhere. And that's fine, Lane and Simon are next in line to take over. Pinkins, I am sure, will be developed in such a manner to move up when Lane leaves in FA.. and so forth and so on.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pinkins has played CB, it's not a foreign position for him, we are stacked at DB, go look at the offcial roster.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
I agree about Finley. I still think we sign him.

And why does everyone keep saying Eeasly was our target?
Wasn't it a Patriots beat writer that made up that rumour???? Ya screw that. Don't believe it

CPHawk

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":q4tzf98y said:
I agree about Finley. I still think we sign him.

And why does everyone keep saying Eeasly was our target?
Wasn't it a Patriots beat writer that made up that rumour???? Ya screw that. Don't believe it

Just like the rumor of all the teams wanting Irvin. If a team reaches for a player, they like to put it out there that other teams wanted said player.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Ian Rapoport also touched on Seattle's interest in Easley. Think he said New England chose not to trade down because they didn't want to lose him to the Seahawks.

And I believe there was a fairly obvious deflation in the war room once Easley left the board. That's what people who were watching the live feed said any way.

To be honest they'd be bloody stupid not to be interested in Easley. He's an absolutely fantastic player. Smart teams like the Pats and Seahawks get it. I bet he wouldn't have got past both San Fran and Denver to be fair.

Erebus

Reaction score
VegasSeahawkFan":2sc5zsht said:

This really doesn't tell us anything about long term plans for MLB. Wagner only has two years in the league, so he has two years left before free agency. There's no reason to draft a linebacker to sit on the bench for two years. Wagner proved you can plug in a rookie linebacker and get good results. Even if they don't expect that immediate impact again, one year learning the system should be enough.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3sqojwkw said:
DT: Rumor was DT Dominic Easley was our man in the 1st, so we much have thought we could improve.
I don't buy this rumor. Seemed like more lazy connection done by the media than anything else. "Easley played at Florida, Quinn coached at Florida so Seattle must really want him."

The Hawks are so tight lipped, I don't think it's realistic for anyone to know who we missed out on or who we didn't.

drrew

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":5ar5eq4r said:
DeCastro?

I'm assuming he meant Schilling, they played at Bellevue HS together for two seasons.

Latest posts