Players choice on 7th round vs going undrafted

TheWebHead

Reaction score
thinking about some of the guys who went undrafted (ie. Jackson Jeffcoat), you wonder, especially mid 7th round, if guys who already reached a verbal agreement to sign as a UDFA if they don't get drafted, just turn off their phones until the draft is over, especially if the agreement includes significant signing bonus money. The rule I believe is no UDFA contact by teams until the draft has ended, but I've heard that's one of those rules that nobody obeys, hence all the signings within minutes of the draft ending. The back half of the 7th is about $47k signing bonus. If you signed for a $25k bonus, I think that's what Doug Baldwin got, you can choose your destination to some degree, and after 3 years, you're a restricted free agent, so you make $2.2 million like Baldwin is set to make this year, instead of the $700k a year four 7th rounder would get.

Keith Price didn't answer his phone after reaching an agreement in principle with the Hawks post draft, so I could see something similar happening in round 7.