Pick #199, 6th Round: OT Garrett Scott, Marshall

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • 6'5", 307 lbs. No NFL.com grade or analysis. Excellent size for the position and good overall experience and athleticism.

Couldn't find anything but high school highlights for this guy:

Our seventh pick of the draft. Discuss.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Per rainger's request, I'm replacing his thread with mine to make it uniform.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• It is ironic that you CAN spell Great Scott with the letters of his name.

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Although it is so hard to find much about this guy CBS says the following:

STRENGTHS: Excellent size for the position and displays good overall athleticism, which helps him recover when beat initially. Anchors well in pass protection. Quick, active feet and gets to the second level quickly to engage linebackers. Blocks well on the move. Good experience as a three-year starter.

He sounded kind of surprised when interviewed by the FO. Think he was over whelmed by the pick.

At 6.5 294 he could be more athletic than say Carp. Maybe he has been drafted to be a guard competition.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• rainger wrote:Although it is so hard to find much about this guy CBS says the following:

STRENGTHS: Excellent size for the position and displays good overall athleticism, which helps him recover when beat initially. Anchors well in pass protection. Quick, active feet and gets to the second level quickly to engage linebackers. Blocks well on the move. Good experience as a three-year starter.

He sounded kind of surprised when interviewed by the FO. Think he was over whelmed by the pick.

He should gratefully name his first born child, boy or girl, SPARQ
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

• Strong dude.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• His vertical leap is 33.5 inches, his 40 is 5.04 and he weighs 310 lbs. That is freakish. He played guard in college. I put my money on him competing at guard.
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• Can play both inside and outside positions, I like it.
    bandiger
    NET Practice Squad

• I like this pick :th2thumbs:
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• hmmm....interesting! A Sweezy replacement perhaps? :sarcasm_off:
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Pete says he likes Scott as a LT
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:Pete says he likes Scott as a LT

Well they did ask him some awkward questions about Okung. Asked him if he knew about Okung and what his impressions were. The kid didn't know what to say stumbled over an answer so they said good by and hung up on him.
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• Only 11 replies to Mr. Scott's thread? Come on guys we got to be excited about this guy. I mean his SPARQ rating is amazing! (To be honest I have no idea what SPARQ ranks, but dang he has a really high number in it)
    Last edited by Blitzer88 on Sat May 10, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Blitzer88 wrote:Only 11 replies to Mr. Scott's thread? Come on guys we got to be excited about this guy. I mean is SPARQ rating is amazing! (To be honest I have no idea what SPARQ ranks, but dang he has a really high number in it)

There was another thread earlier that had like 30 replies but it looks like it's gone.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:Only 11 replies to Mr. Scott's thread? Come on guys we got to be excited about this guy. I mean is SPARQ rating is amazing! (To be honest I have no idea what SPARQ ranks, but dang he has a really high number in it)

There was another thread earlier that had like 30 replies but it looks like it's gone.

well actually it was my thread and it only had 11 as well. That is why I asked Sailor to change it so he was the author. I was trying to figure why no one was commenting, thought maybe cause it was the only thread not in the Sailor stickies.

Obviously this guy is so obscure know one knows what to comment. I still think he will end up competing at left guard even though Pete talked about him at left tackle.
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• In the comments of giving out grades at SI this is what they said about Garrett:
    "Watch out for Marshall offensive tackle Garrett Scott as the possible sleeper pick — he has a lot of the qualities you’d like to see in a top-flight pass-blocker.
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• Yeah not a lot to say about someone no one knows, but I am glad they're addressing the offensive line. I thought they would pick more than 2 though
    2014 Adopt a Rookie: Kevin Norwood
    etanate
    NET Bench Warmer

• Big, strong, really athletic, good feet. Potentially a good pass blocker.. What am I missing here? Why the 6th round? That reads like a 1st rounder. Is he dumb as a rock? Take plays off? Can't run block?
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Well I can't figure out how to post a hyper link from the new format but there is a little info on him at the herdzone.com:

[urlhttp://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/garrett_scott_716436.html][/url]
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• This pick could end up being the steal of the draft. If he can grasp a hold of the differences from college to nfl, we may have gotten our future LT for practically nothing.

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• brimsalabim wrote:Well I can't figure out how to post a hyper link from the new format but there is a little info on him at the herdzone.com:

http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/garrett_scott_716436.html

FIFY
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• This pick looks prime for competition. Let's see what he has at Rookie Camp and let him know what positions to focus his studying on.

Our secondary is gonna be like the Bermuda Triangle this year again boys! 2/3rds of the world is covered by water..... the rest is covered by the LOB!

Made....Laid.....Paid!!!
    nwgamer
    NET Starter

• Tical21 wrote:Big, strong, really athletic, good feet. Potentially a good pass blocker.. What am I missing here? Why the 6th round? That reads like a 1st rounder. Is he dumb as a rock? Take plays off? Can't run block?

They say he has a passive attitude. All though he has all the tools and body, I think he is a gentle soul and they are going to have to instill desire or meanness or something.
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• I'm just ecstatic to see signs of not counting on Okung to be healthy all season long. If McQuistan is your plan B, you have no plan B.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• From Seattle Times

Carroll on whether Scott can play multiple positions: “He could, but we like the shot of him playing left tackle, because he’s done it and it’s a difficult spot to find. He looked very comfortable there. Really has the kind of quickness and light on his feet ability that gives us the thought that he could do that. But, we always need our guys to be flexible, and he does help us there.”

Then, Garrett, he was kind of an under the radar guy, really quick hands, played in that Marshall, good angles, real nice first kick step. Competitive guy, just stays in front of people.”
    jake206
    NET Starter

• Largent80 wrote:This pick could end up being the steal of the draft.

Golly....I read this phrase on nearly every player who was drafted...and even those undrafted. You and I know that there are only about five players who have a proverbial "snowball's chance in hell" to be on our 53 man roster.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawk45 wrote:I'm just ecstatic to see signs of not counting on Okung to be healthy all season long. If McQuistan is your plan B, you have no plan B.

That's what I'm saying. The love for versality with o-line players by this staff is clearly understandable. We might not have been real great across the line but I'd say the verasatily that they've focused on has really saved our bacon the last couple seasons, and now hopefully they are upgrading that versatility. The big fella has missed significant time 3 of his first 4 seasons and has yet to play all 16 games.
    Shane Falco
    NET Veteran

• To give you an idea of just how athletic Garrett Scott is, he recorded the exact same time in the 3-cone drill at his Pro Day (7.09) that Paul Richardson recorded in the same drill at the Combine. And Scott weighs over 125 pounds more than Richardson. Scott's 3-cone time was also better than those clocked by Martavis Bryant, Kelvin Benjamin, Carlos Hyde, Eric Ebron, C.J. Mosely, Lamarcus Joyner and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, among others. And it was only .02 "slower" than that of Darqueze Dennard.

This is one nimble bigman.
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

• NorthDallas40oz wrote:To give you an idea of just how athletic Garrett Scott is, he recorded the exact same time in the 3-cone drill at his Pro Day (7.09) that Paul Richardson recorded in the same drill at the Combine. And Scott weighs over 125 pounds more than Richardson. Scott's 3-cone time was also better than those clocked by Martavis Bryant, Kelvin Benjamin, Carlos Hyde, Eric Ebron, C.J. Mosely, Lamarcus Joyner and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, among others. And it was only .02 "slower" than that of Darqueze Dennard.

This is one nimble bigman.

I can't even wrap my head around that.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

LAMike1
    * NET Sage *

• I liked this pick for the SPARQy athleticism, but personally thought they might have taken Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (LDT) for the brains & toughness combination. (I saw him mocked to us in the late rounds quite a few places, and he ended up going the very next pick to the Chiefs.)

Both guys were basically raw clay for Tom Cable to mould as he deemed fit.

We ended up going Garrett "Great" Scott, I believe, for the off the charts SPARQ, and the possibility of playing Left Tackle.

Unfortunately, he was waived just today, after the discovery of a rare heart condition. :(

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-offseason ... -condition

I pray it is a correctable condition over time. Perhaps he might be able to I.R., heal up, and still be able to pursue his dream of playing in the NFL sometime in the future; hopefully with the Seahawks.

Tough break. I wish him the best of health.
    kigenzun
    NET Starter

• kigenzun wrote: personally thought they might have taken Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (LDT) for the brains & toughness combination. (I saw him mocked to us in the late rounds quite a few places, and he ended up going the very next pick to the Chiefs.)

Yeah, that didn't make sense to me. But, after I saw the KC pick of LDT, I just rationalized that the Hawks must value Scott more than LDT. The Chiefs must have been targeting the guy and probably felt fortunate to still see LDT on the board after the Hawks drafted a Tackle. Hope that doesn't end up being a player they missed out on that was there for the taking. But, they must not have seen what they wanted in a player in him b/c they chose not to draft him.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

• Hope it can be corrected and maybe even return to football. That would be so disheartening, to be drafted then have a heart condition discovered. What a fricking pisser. Poor kid, I'm praying for him.
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    Save a place at the table for us "Big Willie"
    halfrack
    NET Rookie

• Man, I really like this guy. Seems a good dude with the right attitude
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• Great article! Also great to read that his most recent test came back negative.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• Genuinely expect his career isn't over and we'll see this player next season after he's had a year of hanging around the VMac and watching film while getting healthy and stronger.

If he doesn't ever play again that's sad, but somehow I think he wants to play and if he can clear his medical he'll be at camp next season.

Fingers
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons.

What a special magical year!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:23 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information