Pick #227, 7th Round: FB Kiero Small, Arkansas

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • I love Kiero small. You guys are getting a pissed off little bowling ball
    gohogs14
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 60
    Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:40 pm


  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:5'8", 244 lbs. No NFL.com grade or analysis.

    Baltimore Sun article on him: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-long-road-to-nfl-for-arkansas-fullback-kiero-small-20140427,0,1264317.story



    Our ninth pick of the draft. Discuss.


    Man this guy can block!!

    I loved watching him keep his head on a swivel in pass pro. He takes out guys in the middle when needed and helps the edge. This guy knows how to pass protect.

    In his run blocking he also keeps his head on a swivel. He has great vision of who to go after and sustain and release from blocks.

    My Adopt a rookie !!!!! :0190l:
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 805
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:06 am


  • I'm excited. 26 Broken Face Masks, 60 touches 0 negative plays. I just kind of hope he doesn't push Derreck Coleman off the roster but.. competition. Hopefully a Tolbert like player.
    theascension
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 250
    Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:44 pm


  • This is the only pick that's not doing it for me. Watching the video didn't change my mind either. FB's are dinosaurs, we rarely even play our FB. This guy is never going to be compared to John L or Mack Strong, whoever said Pro Bowls are in his future is drinking the Kool Aid. I hope he does well and in J&S I Trust, but there must have been someone better on the board at that pick.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

    R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    User avatar
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4486
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm


  • SalishHawkFan wrote:This is the only pick that's not doing it for me. Watching the video didn't change my mind either. FB's are dinosaurs, we rarely even play our FB. This guy is never going to be compared to John L or Mack Strong, whoever said Pro Bowls are in his future is drinking the Kool Aid. I hope he does well and in J&S I Trust, but there must have been someone better on the board at that pick.


    Would you be happier if they drafted Dion Bailey there and then signed Small as a UDFA instead? What difference does it make? The 7th round is only about taking guys who you don't think you can recruit as UDFA. Getting caught up on what position they play or their value over other players is silly at this stage. There are 9-10 guys who Seattle is going bring in from the 7th round-UDFA crop who have similar grades. The only difference is how you get them on the team.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3443
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


  • Dude broke 26 face masks in college. He doesn't need to go undrafted to make him want to hit people. We drafted him to save one of the UDFA spots for someone who needed a little more to prove.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * Natural Rubbing Action *
     
    Posts: 18143
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


  • That was a highlight video of him in the OP? Yikes....
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3397
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • hawkfan68 wrote:That was a highlight video of him in the OP? Yikes....


    It's a cut up of his plays from four games. What don't you like?
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3443
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


  • Breakin' facemasks since 1976....I'm IN !!!!!!
    Image
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22087
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS 2013-2014




  • gohogs14 wrote:I love Kiero small. You guys are getting a pissed off little bowling ball

    I'm a bowler and a Hawks fan, so excellent! 8)
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10741
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: Lombardi Land


  • JS compared him to Rock Cartwright so he might become a short distance RB as well? Can never have enough options with a once in a generation player like Lynch leaving in a year or two.
    theascension
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 250
    Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:44 pm



  • SeatownJay wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:5'8", 244? Fattie.

    Maybe before Arkansas's strength & conditioning coach got a hold of him last year. Here's a before & after pic of him from January '13 to July '13.

    Image

    OH OH I see a PED test coming soon.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    User avatar
    rainger
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1592
    Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:32 am
    Location: Victoria BC


  • I don't have to like every pick, and I don't like this one.

    He just looks like a little kid out there making blocks. Even at Arkansas, he looks a bit out of his league. Not much power or athleticism or size. Decently smart, but zero tools.

    When trying to convert a 4th and 1 against the 49ers, Rams, or Cardinals, I'd like to a lot more "truck" in our lead blocker than what he provides. Seattle likes unique qualities but occasionally they outsmart themselves because of it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, Seattle always targets the weirdest fullbacks. A converted Heisman nominated QB, a lanky deaf guy and now a Volkswagen Beetle.
    Last edited by kearly on Sat May 10, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10252
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • "Boobie" Dixon. :mrgreen:
    User avatar
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2510
    Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:01 pm


  • Not too sure about this pick either, I know we always like to have multiple FBs for training camp. But I think we could of gotten one as a UDFA.
    Image
    User avatar
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *
     
    Posts: 10820
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am
    Location: Pasco, WA


  • I'm on to PC & JS. After leading one of the youngest teams in history into our first Superb Owl win, their goal is to take the shortest team in history into our second win next year.

    -bsd
    User avatar
    bigskydoc
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 83
    Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:27 am
    Location: Kalispell, MT


  • If anyone is going to give a midget FB a chance, it's a GM who is a former midget division III RB.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10252
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • cover-2 wrote:I thought this was a laughable pick, that is until I watched the video provided. He has natural leverage to take on bigger defensive players, great initial quickness, tenacious as hell as a blocker, he plays to the echo of the whistle, nice hands for a FB, his head coach loves him because of his physical style of play...he will defiantly help improve our running game. He will no doubt be a fan favorite, and I could easily see him getting multiple Pro Bowls.


    I would say HOF is a lock. :sarcasm_on:
    seabowl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1053
    Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:20 am


  • Block at 3:45 was impressive. Kid is smart and almost always picks the correct player to block
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *
     
    Posts: 7849
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm


  • Keep in mind he's only been playing FB for two years. Petrino brought him in a few years ago after he played LB in junior college
    gohogs14
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 60
    Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:40 pm


  • looks lik he has good instincts as a lead blocker. doesnt blow everyone up every time, but always seems to be in the right place. cant get mad at this pick.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11192
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


  • AnchoviesofTerror wrote:5'8"? dude is pretty...small...


    and 1/2 at 250 lbs.

    Good hands out of the back field too.
    User avatar
    Uffda
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 670
    Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:13 am
    Location: Ballard


  • Well, I do suppose none of us can say he can't make it because he's too short....
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

    R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    User avatar
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4486
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm


  • This pick really excites me
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2322
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


  • You're killing me Small.
    I'm In!


    What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3326
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX


  • kearly wrote:I don't have to like every pick, and I don't like this one.

    He just looks like a little kid out there making blocks. Even at Arkansas, he looks a bit out of his league. Not much power or athleticism or size. Decently smart, but zero tools.

    When trying to convert a 4th and 1 against the 49ers, Rams, or Cardinals, I'd like to a lot more "truck" in our lead blocker than what he provides. Seattle likes unique qualities but occasionally they outsmart themselves because of it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, Seattle always targets the weirdest fullbacks. A converted Heisman nominated QB, a lanky deaf guy and now a Volkswagen Beetle.


    Riiiiiiiiight.

    Because Lead Blockers don't rely heavily on:
    Leverage (to get underneath positioning and pancake defenders) ,
    Mass (to inflict or parry forceful damage),
    Intelligence (to know and understand Blocking Assignments)
    Instincts (to react to your Intelligence quickly as well as improvise if need be),
    Mind Set (the biggest one to me, really, to be a FB and be successful you have to be one tough badass and a glutton for pain and punishment, willing to not only dish it out on a daily basis but dine on a buffet of it yourself)

    This Kiero Small guy seems like he possesses all of those things and could be a better FB prospect than either Coleman or Ware. He'll have to compete for it but Coleman will need to fend this guy off his roster spot, it won't be handed to him like it was last year with M-Rob getting sick and Ware getting hurt.

    Either way Seahawks will get better FB play in the process, no matter how it plays out... Either Small is an upgrade or Coleman competes his ass off to stay on top.
    #11 is the Gatling Gun, coming at Ds in multiple, unpredictable ways spreading the field horizontally.

    #10 is the Sniper Rifle, if you don't respect his deep field speed opposing DBs will end up in a pink mist.

    #24 is the Boomstick, get in his way when you're the lone defender, I dare you.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1617
    Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:07 pm


  • Looks Like a great goal line back. It might take a year of practice squad First though.
    The Moment: Image
    User avatar
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 508
    Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:28 am


  • The one thing I don't get is smalls lack of athleticism. Apparently the Seahawks care about combine numbers and SPARQ scores. So, I go and look at the SPARQ scores for fullbacks... Lo and behold, look who's at the bottom:

    Image

    86.2 rSPARQ, and even more pitiful 79.7 pSPARQ..... This pick just doesn't even seem Seahawk like to me because he isn't athletic.
    User avatar
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5211
    Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
    Location: Battle Ground, Washington


  • Highlight vids show me a kid who puts a huge smile on my face in terms of identifying the key defender to block and then breaking they teef off in they mouths

    Not just on rushing plays but passing plays as well.

    Lynch and Russ could be fighting over who is this guy's BFF if he does some of what I saw in that vid. Like what I see.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4687
    Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 pm


  • From Seattle Times

    Schneider on Kiero Small: “He’s a total thumper, man. I like him a lot. He’s super tough, plays really low, digs guys out. He’s seriously tough. Pete C: He’s a great attitude guy, we love adding him to the team, because he is the epitome of the fullback.”
    jake206
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 258
    Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:07 pm


  • Crizilla wrote:least fav pick so far

    Agreed. This the only pick I generally don't like. Not the player, the position.
    Opinion has caused more trouble on this little earth than plagues or earthquakes.
    -Voltaire
    User avatar
    HawkMeat
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 399
    Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:56 am
    Location: Kidnap County


  • If we can see Lynch, Turbin, Michael get 3 yds untouched and into the second layer routinly I will be ecstatic. Everyone thinks it's a passing league and wants us to wing the ball, it looks fun but ask Manning or both of them how well that works when it counts against a team that can run and plays defense.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9705
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • chris98251 wrote:If we can see Lynch, Turbin, Michael get 3 yds untouched and into the second layer routinly I will be ecstatic. Everyone thinks it's a passing league and wants us to wing the ball, it looks fun but ask Manning or both of them how well that works when it counts against a team that can run and plays defense.

    I agree to a point but ideally I'd prefer a 55/45 pass/rush ratio(Wilson passing it 30-32 times a game rather then 25).
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6325
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


  • HawkMeat wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:least fav pick so far

    Agreed. This the only pick I generally don't like. Not the player, the position.


    Disagree completely, even when MRob came back last year, our lead blocking was generally poor (hence why we ended up running a lot of plays without a fullback at all), and I am definitely not sold on Ware or Coleman as blocking fullbacks.

    chris98251 wrote:If we can see Lynch, Turbin, Michael get 3 yds untouched and into the second layer routinly I will be ecstatic. Everyone thinks it's a passing league and wants us to wing the ball, it looks fun but ask Manning or both of them how well that works when it counts against a team that can run and plays defense.


    This exactly, Lynch had 4.2 yards per carry in the postseason, but had an extremely impressive 2.8 yards after contact per carry - however, this means that on average he was making first contact after 1.4 yards, this is pretty similar to his regular season stats of 2.5 yards per carry after contact, with 1.7 yards coming before first contact.

    If we can get our lead blocker to give Lynch a 3-4 yard headstart then he could post 2012 numbers all over agin
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2322
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


  • Our goal line offense was dreadful last year. If this kid develops into an elite FB, then he's worth the pick right there.
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    User avatar
    Threedee
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 68
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


  • Brock Huard did a couple of games. Interesting to hear what he has to say.


    Also, Collins sure looks good in those vids.
    User avatar
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 592
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:58 pm
    Location: Hong Kong


  • He's a really tenacious guy. An inch and a half taller and a lot of people are happier about this pick.

    He's clearly been bought in for the competition, he's a tough competitor and I bet he motivates the other guys to step up their game. He nearly always picks the right guy to block, and in that respect Coleman could probably learn something from him. Who knows, he might even surprise a few people.
    User avatar
    SomersetHawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 494
    Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 6:33 am
    Location: United Kingdom


  • HunnyBadger wrote:Check out his lead-block at the 10 sec mark :twisted:




    Wait, he broke 26 of his own facemasks or just 26 total including others? That dude got popped.
    User avatar
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 724
    Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:38 am


  • themunn wrote:
    HawkMeat wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:least fav pick so far

    Agreed. This the only pick I generally don't like. Not the player, the position.


    Disagree completely, even when MRob came back last year, our lead blocking was generally poor (hence why we ended up running a lot of plays without a fullback at all), and I am definitely not sold on Ware or Coleman as blocking fullbacks.

    chris98251 wrote:If we can see Lynch, Turbin, Michael get 3 yds untouched and into the second layer routinly I will be ecstatic. Everyone thinks it's a passing league and wants us to wing the ball, it looks fun but ask Manning or both of them how well that works when it counts against a team that can run and plays defense.


    This exactly, Lynch had 4.2 yards per carry in the postseason, but had an extremely impressive 2.8 yards after contact per carry - however, this means that on average he was making first contact after 1.4 yards, this is pretty similar to his regular season stats of 2.5 yards per carry after contact, with 1.7 yards coming before first contact.

    If we can get our lead blocker to give Lynch a 3-4 yard headstart then he could post 2012 numbers all over agin

    I will try to pull up numbers from a couple years ago, but I recall rushing ypc was really good if not better without a FB in the play a couple years ago. The position isn't used all that much. Optimistic.
    Opinion has caused more trouble on this little earth than plagues or earthquakes.
    -Voltaire
    User avatar
    HawkMeat
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 399
    Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:56 am
    Location: Kidnap County


  • Some interesting notes on Kiero from Schneider's appearance on Brock & Danny:

    --Brock Huard said Bret Biliema (Arkansas HC) told him before that Kiero Small was his favorite player on the Arkansas roster. Beliema describes him as a butcher knife; basically says he couldn't run his offense without him during his first season at Arkansas.

    --Aaron Himeline (area scout, former fullback) was given the task of scouting all the major fullbacks, including J.C. Copeland (LSU), Jay Prosch (Auburn), Nikita Whitlock (Wake Forest), Trey Millard (Oklahoma). According to Schneider, Himeline liked Kiero Small the best of the group.

    But note: in another interview, Schneider says their first choice in the 7th round was taken three picks before Kiero. Called it an "upset." Many are saying this was Beau Allen (Wisconsin NT, SPARQ beast).
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3443
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


  • HawkMeat wrote:
    themunn wrote:
    HawkMeat wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:least fav pick so far

    Agreed. This the only pick I generally don't like. Not the player, the position.


    Disagree completely, even when MRob came back last year, our lead blocking was generally poor (hence why we ended up running a lot of plays without a fullback at all), and I am definitely not sold on Ware or Coleman as blocking fullbacks.

    chris98251 wrote:If we can see Lynch, Turbin, Michael get 3 yds untouched and into the second layer routinly I will be ecstatic. Everyone thinks it's a passing league and wants us to wing the ball, it looks fun but ask Manning or both of them how well that works when it counts against a team that can run and plays defense.


    This exactly, Lynch had 4.2 yards per carry in the postseason, but had an extremely impressive 2.8 yards after contact per carry - however, this means that on average he was making first contact after 1.4 yards, this is pretty similar to his regular season stats of 2.5 yards per carry after contact, with 1.7 yards coming before first contact.

    If we can get our lead blocker to give Lynch a 3-4 yard headstart then he could post 2012 numbers all over agin

    I will try to pull up numbers from a couple years ago, but I recall rushing ypc was really good if not better without a FB in the play a couple years ago. The position isn't used all that much. Optimistic.


    Of course it does - because A: going with a fullback means we're far more likely to run and defenses know it and key in and B: our fullbacks weren't very good last year

    It's like how "3rd down running backs" seem to have a great average YPC, so why not use them on 1st and 2nd down? Eh because they're not actually all that good. But if you run out of I formation and can get 4-5 yards a pop, it opens up the passing game immensely - compared to the opposite when you go with 1 tailback, where the running game is opened up because teams are keying in on the pass - Pete's philosophy is to run to set up the pass, and if you have a good fullback it's a hell of a lot easier
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2322
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


  • Image
    User avatar
    LAMike1
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 176
    Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:22 am
    Location: Southern California


  • Jville wrote:Says he has broken 28 face masks in his college career.


    He broke 26 last season blocking. He's a tank. I love this pick, having him lead block for Beastmode will be huge if he makes the cut...

    Kiero Small broke 26 face masks while blocking last season for the Razorbacks.


    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/05/12/ ... ahawks-do/

    This is some interesting tape on him against 4 teams. His motor never stops.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ZtRbf4T8o
    :49ersmall: How many 49ers fans does it take to change a light bulb? They don't, they just talk about the ones they had. :49ersmall:
    User avatar
    lsheldon
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 642
    Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:04 pm
    Location: Everett WA



  • Largent80 wrote:Paperweight?


    Hopefully not for my desktop. :mrgreen:
    :stirthepot:

    :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1843
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm


Previous


It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:42 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: zifnab32 and 5 guests