Pick #227, 7th Round: FB Kiero Small, Arkansas

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • I love Kiero small. You guys are getting a pissed off little bowling ball
    gohogs14
    NET Practice Squad

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:5'8", 244 lbs. No NFL.com grade or analysis.

Baltimore Sun article on him: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-long-road-to-nfl-for-arkansas-fullback-kiero-small-20140427,0,1264317.story

Our ninth pick of the draft. Discuss.

Man this guy can block!!

I loved watching him keep his head on a swivel in pass pro. He takes out guys in the middle when needed and helps the edge. This guy knows how to pass protect.

In his run blocking he also keeps his head on a swivel. He has great vision of who to go after and sustain and release from blocks.

My Adopt a rookie !!!!! :0190l:
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

• I'm excited. 26 Broken Face Masks, 60 touches 0 negative plays. I just kind of hope he doesn't push Derreck Coleman off the roster but.. competition. Hopefully a Tolbert like player.
    theascension
    NET Rookie

• This is the only pick that's not doing it for me. Watching the video didn't change my mind either. FB's are dinosaurs, we rarely even play our FB. This guy is never going to be compared to John L or Mack Strong, whoever said Pro Bowls are in his future is drinking the Kool Aid. I hope he does well and in J&S I Trust, but there must have been someone better on the board at that pick.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• SalishHawkFan wrote:This is the only pick that's not doing it for me. Watching the video didn't change my mind either. FB's are dinosaurs, we rarely even play our FB. This guy is never going to be compared to John L or Mack Strong, whoever said Pro Bowls are in his future is drinking the Kool Aid. I hope he does well and in J&S I Trust, but there must have been someone better on the board at that pick.

Would you be happier if they drafted Dion Bailey there and then signed Small as a UDFA instead? What difference does it make? The 7th round is only about taking guys who you don't think you can recruit as UDFA. Getting caught up on what position they play or their value over other players is silly at this stage. There are 9-10 guys who Seattle is going bring in from the 7th round-UDFA crop who have similar grades. The only difference is how you get them on the team.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Dude broke 26 face masks in college. He doesn't need to go undrafted to make him want to hit people. We drafted him to save one of the UDFA spots for someone who needed a little more to prove.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * Natural Rubbing Action *

• That was a highlight video of him in the OP? Yikes....
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkfan68 wrote:That was a highlight video of him in the OP? Yikes....

It's a cut up of his plays from four games. What don't you like?
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Breakin' facemasks since 1976....I'm IN !!!!!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• gohogs14 wrote:I love Kiero small. You guys are getting a pissed off little bowling ball

I'm a bowler and a Hawks fan, so excellent! 8)
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• JS compared him to Rock Cartwright so he might become a short distance RB as well? Can never have enough options with a once in a generation player like Lynch leaving in a year or two.
    theascension
    NET Rookie

• SeatownJay wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:5'8", 244? Fattie.

Maybe before Arkansas's strength & conditioning coach got a hold of him last year. Here's a before & after pic of him from January '13 to July '13.

OH OH I see a PED test coming soon.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• I don't have to like every pick, and I don't like this one.

He just looks like a little kid out there making blocks. Even at Arkansas, he looks a bit out of his league. Not much power or athleticism or size. Decently smart, but zero tools.

When trying to convert a 4th and 1 against the 49ers, Rams, or Cardinals, I'd like to a lot more "truck" in our lead blocker than what he provides. Seattle likes unique qualities but occasionally they outsmart themselves because of it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, Seattle always targets the weirdest fullbacks. A converted Heisman nominated QB, a lanky deaf guy and now a Volkswagen Beetle.
    Last edited by kearly on Sat May 10, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• "Boobie" Dixon. :mrgreen:
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• Not too sure about this pick either, I know we always like to have multiple FBs for training camp. But I think we could of gotten one as a UDFA.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• I'm on to PC & JS. After leading one of the youngest teams in history into our first Superb Owl win, their goal is to take the shortest team in history into our second win next year.

-bsd
    bigskydoc
    NET Practice Squad

• If anyone is going to give a midget FB a chance, it's a GM who is a former midget division III RB.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• cover-2 wrote:I thought this was a laughable pick, that is until I watched the video provided. He has natural leverage to take on bigger defensive players, great initial quickness, tenacious as hell as a blocker, he plays to the echo of the whistle, nice hands for a FB, his head coach loves him because of his physical style of play...he will defiantly help improve our running game. He will no doubt be a fan favorite, and I could easily see him getting multiple Pro Bowls.

I would say HOF is a lock. :sarcasm_on:
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• Block at 3:45 was impressive. Kid is smart and almost always picks the correct player to block
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Keep in mind he's only been playing FB for two years. Petrino brought him in a few years ago after he played LB in junior college
    gohogs14
    NET Practice Squad

• looks lik he has good instincts as a lead blocker. doesnt blow everyone up every time, but always seems to be in the right place. cant get mad at this pick.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• AnchoviesofTerror wrote:5'8"? dude is pretty...small...

and 1/2 at 250 lbs.

Good hands out of the back field too.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

• Well, I do suppose none of us can say he can't make it because he's too short....
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• This pick really excites me
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• You're killing me Small.
    I'm In!

What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote:I don't have to like every pick, and I don't like this one.

He just looks like a little kid out there making blocks. Even at Arkansas, he looks a bit out of his league. Not much power or athleticism or size. Decently smart, but zero tools.

When trying to convert a 4th and 1 against the 49ers, Rams, or Cardinals, I'd like to a lot more "truck" in our lead blocker than what he provides. Seattle likes unique qualities but occasionally they outsmart themselves because of it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, Seattle always targets the weirdest fullbacks. A converted Heisman nominated QB, a lanky deaf guy and now a Volkswagen Beetle.

Riiiiiiiiight.

Because Lead Blockers don't rely heavily on:
    Leverage (to get underneath positioning and pancake defenders) ,
    Mass (to inflict or parry forceful damage),
    Intelligence (to know and understand Blocking Assignments)
    Instincts (to react to your Intelligence quickly as well as improvise if need be),
    Mind Set (the biggest one to me, really, to be a FB and be successful you have to be one tough badass and a glutton for pain and punishment, willing to not only dish it out on a daily basis but dine on a buffet of it yourself)

This Kiero Small guy seems like he possesses all of those things and could be a better FB prospect than either Coleman or Ware. He'll have to compete for it but Coleman will need to fend this guy off his roster spot, it won't be handed to him like it was last year with M-Rob getting sick and Ware getting hurt.

Either way Seahawks will get better FB play in the process, no matter how it plays out... Either Small is an upgrade or Coleman competes his ass off to stay on top.
    #11 is the Gatling Gun, coming at Ds in multiple, unpredictable ways spreading the field horizontally.

#10 is the Sniper Rifle, if you don't respect his deep field speed opposing DBs will end up in a pink mist.

#24 is the Boomstick, get in his way when you're the lone defender, I dare you.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

• Looks Like a great goal line back. It might take a year of practice squad First though.
    The Moment: Image
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

• The one thing I don't get is smalls lack of athleticism. Apparently the Seahawks care about combine numbers and SPARQ scores. So, I go and look at the SPARQ scores for fullbacks... Lo and behold, look who's at the bottom:

86.2 rSPARQ, and even more pitiful 79.7 pSPARQ..... This pick just doesn't even seem Seahawk like to me because he isn't athletic.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• Highlight vids show me a kid who puts a huge smile on my face in terms of identifying the key defender to block and then breaking they teef off in they mouths

Not just on rushing plays but passing plays as well.

Lynch and Russ could be fighting over who is this guy's BFF if he does some of what I saw in that vid. Like what I see.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• From Seattle Times

Schneider on Kiero Small: “He’s a total thumper, man. I like him a lot. He’s super tough, plays really low, digs guys out. He’s seriously tough. Pete C: He’s a great attitude guy, we love adding him to the team, because he is the epitome of the fullback.”
    jake206
    NET Rookie

• Crizilla wrote:least fav pick so far

Agreed. This the only pick I generally don't like. Not the player, the position.
    Opinion has caused more trouble on this little earth than plagues or earthquakes.
    -Voltaire
    HawkMeat
    NET Starter

• If we can see Lynch, Turbin, Michael get 3 yds untouched and into the second layer routinly I will be ecstatic. Everyone thinks it's a passing league and wants us to wing the ball, it looks fun but ask Manning or both of them how well that works when it counts against a team that can run and plays defense.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:If we can see Lynch, Turbin, Michael get 3 yds untouched and into the second layer routinly I will be ecstatic. Everyone thinks it's a passing league and wants us to wing the ball, it looks fun but ask Manning or both of them how well that works when it counts against a team that can run and plays defense.

I agree to a point but ideally I'd prefer a 55/45 pass/rush ratio(Wilson passing it 30-32 times a game rather then 25).
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• HawkMeat wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:least fav pick so far

Agreed. This the only pick I generally don't like. Not the player, the position.

Disagree completely, even when MRob came back last year, our lead blocking was generally poor (hence why we ended up running a lot of plays without a fullback at all), and I am definitely not sold on Ware or Coleman as blocking fullbacks.

chris98251 wrote:If we can see Lynch, Turbin, Michael get 3 yds untouched and into the second layer routinly I will be ecstatic. Everyone thinks it's a passing league and wants us to wing the ball, it looks fun but ask Manning or both of them how well that works when it counts against a team that can run and plays defense.

This exactly, Lynch had 4.2 yards per carry in the postseason, but had an extremely impressive 2.8 yards after contact per carry - however, this means that on average he was making first contact after 1.4 yards, this is pretty similar to his regular season stats of 2.5 yards per carry after contact, with 1.7 yards coming before first contact.

If we can get our lead blocker to give Lynch a 3-4 yard headstart then he could post 2012 numbers all over agin
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• Our goal line offense was dreadful last year. If this kid develops into an elite FB, then he's worth the pick right there.
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Practice Squad

• Brock Huard did a couple of games. Interesting to hear what he has to say.

Also, Collins sure looks good in those vids.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• He's a really tenacious guy. An inch and a half taller and a lot of people are happier about this pick.

He's clearly been bought in for the competition, he's a tough competitor and I bet he motivates the other guys to step up their game. He nearly always picks the right guy to block, and in that respect Coleman could probably learn something from him. Who knows, he might even surprise a few people.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Starter

• HunnyBadger wrote:Check out his lead-block at the 10 sec mark :twisted:

Wait, he broke 26 of his own facemasks or just 26 total including others? That dude got popped.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

• themunn wrote:
    HawkMeat wrote:

Disagree completely, even when MRob came back last year, our lead blocking was generally poor (hence why we ended up running a lot of plays without a fullback at all), and I am definitely not sold on Ware or Coleman as blocking fullbacks.

chris98251 wrote:If we can see Lynch, Turbin, Michael get 3 yds untouched and into the second layer routinly I will be ecstatic. Everyone thinks it's a passing league and wants us to wing the ball, it looks fun but ask Manning or both of them how well that works when it counts against a team that can run and plays defense.

This exactly, Lynch had 4.2 yards per carry in the postseason, but had an extremely impressive 2.8 yards after contact per carry - however, this means that on average he was making first contact after 1.4 yards, this is pretty similar to his regular season stats of 2.5 yards per carry after contact, with 1.7 yards coming before first contact.

If we can get our lead blocker to give Lynch a 3-4 yard headstart then he could post 2012 numbers all over agin

I will try to pull up numbers from a couple years ago, but I recall rushing ypc was really good if not better without a FB in the play a couple years ago. The position isn't used all that much. Optimistic.
    Opinion has caused more trouble on this little earth than plagues or earthquakes.
    -Voltaire
    HawkMeat
    NET Starter

• Some interesting notes on Kiero from Schneider's appearance on Brock & Danny:

--Brock Huard said Bret Biliema (Arkansas HC) told him before that Kiero Small was his favorite player on the Arkansas roster. Beliema describes him as a butcher knife; basically says he couldn't run his offense without him during his first season at Arkansas.

--Aaron Himeline (area scout, former fullback) was given the task of scouting all the major fullbacks, including J.C. Copeland (LSU), Jay Prosch (Auburn), Nikita Whitlock (Wake Forest), Trey Millard (Oklahoma). According to Schneider, Himeline liked Kiero Small the best of the group.

But note: in another interview, Schneider says their first choice in the 7th round was taken three picks before Kiero. Called it an "upset." Many are saying this was Beau Allen (Wisconsin NT, SPARQ beast).
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• HawkMeat wrote:
    themunn wrote:
    HawkMeat wrote:

I will try to pull up numbers from a couple years ago, but I recall rushing ypc was really good if not better without a FB in the play a couple years ago. The position isn't used all that much. Optimistic.

Of course it does - because A: going with a fullback means we're far more likely to run and defenses know it and key in and B: our fullbacks weren't very good last year

It's like how "3rd down running backs" seem to have a great average YPC, so why not use them on 1st and 2nd down? Eh because they're not actually all that good. But if you run out of I formation and can get 4-5 yards a pop, it opens up the passing game immensely - compared to the opposite when you go with 1 tailback, where the running game is opened up because teams are keying in on the pass - Pete's philosophy is to run to set up the pass, and if you have a good fullback it's a hell of a lot easier
    themunn
    NET Veteran

LAMike1
    * NET Sage *

• Jville wrote:Says he has broken 28 face masks in his college career.

He broke 26 last season blocking. He's a tank. I love this pick, having him lead block for Beastmode will be huge if he makes the cut...

Kiero Small broke 26 face masks while blocking last season for the Razorbacks.

http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/05/12/ ... ahawks-do/

This is some interesting tape on him against 4 teams. His motor never stops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ZtRbf4T8o
    :49ersmall: How many 49ers fans does it take to change a light bulb? They don't, they just talk about the ones they had. :49ersmall:
    lsheldon
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:Paperweight?

Hopefully not for my desktop. :mrgreen:
    :stirthepot:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:42 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information