Pick #208, 6th Round: FS/CB Eric Pinkins, San Diego St.

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • 6'3", 220 lbs. Graded out at 4.9 on NFL.com. Good work habits, big, fast, work-in-progress project safety/cornerback type. The Seahawks have said they intend to use him as a cornerback.

NFL.com Analysis: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/eric-pinkins?id=2549978

Couldn't find anything but high school highlights on him:

Our eighth pick of the draft. Discuss.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Big like Kam, but runs 4.4 (crazy). Can probably compete at both safety spots.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Huge dude! Hard hitter, sparq monster.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Any one know anything about this guy? Both CBS and SI have no information on this guy.

Eric Pinkins FS

6'3" - 220 lbs.
    San Diego St.

info courtesy CBS
    Pinkins is an impressive straight-line athlete with huge size for the position and who is well-suited playing up in the box, closing on plays in front of him. He's a bit stiff when asked to change direction, and has room to grow in terms of recognition, but he should be a good fit in Seattle where Kam Chancellor - a similar athlete - has succeeded despite many of the same criticisms when he came out of Virginia Tech.
    Last edited by rainger on Sat May 10, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• rainger wrote:Any one know anything about this guy? Both CBS and SI have no information on this guy.
    School: Marshall | Conference: C-USA
    College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Douglas, GA
    Height/Weight: 6-5 / 307 lbs.

I think you're in the wrong thread. ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Finally, a DB. Way to go Pete. :)

I knew Pete couldn't go an entire draft without at least one DB.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:
    rainger wrote:Any one know anything about this guy? Both CBS and SI have no information on this guy.

Naw just cut and pasted wrong CTR C
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• future LOB
    bryantology79
    NET Starter

• He may very well end up being the most important pick in this draft .
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

• He just said that the coaches plan to play him at CB
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Team captain, used to play cb, fluid athlete. Guess hawks loved him at the vmac visit. Talked to him about playing cb, also. . . Could do it, I think.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:He just said that the coaches plan to play him at CB

Browner 2.0 ?

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 23s
    Wow- basically not Kam...he is Brandon Browner, but faster
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• chris98251 wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:He just said that the coaches plan to play him at CB

Browner 2.0 ?

Very similar build it looks like.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:He just said that the coaches plan to play him at CB

Maybe a Shead type project. Put him all over the backfield and see where he fits best. He has the measurables to play a lot of different spots.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Although to be Browner 2.0 he has to have the right attitude, that is what made Brandon so effective.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• He said that in college they mostly had him line up on the slot receiver as a Safety anyways so the transition to corner shouldn't be too steep.
    BobcatHawk
    NET Starter

• Well, they always have a plan in mind for any player they choose, but they've also always been ready to readdress that plan if it doesn't work out.

If he plays corner, he could follow the new tradition: another big, athletic press corner fits right into our system. Our rivals have been stocking up on big WRs, so we counter with big DBs.

I like that he sounds versatile. Welcome to the LoB.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Special Teams Missile...
    45Hawker
    NET Practice Squad

• chris98251 wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:He just said that the coaches plan to play him at CB

Browner 2.0 ?

My thoughts exactly. Now they just have to find out what pisses him off.
    OrFan
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:
    rainger wrote:Any one know anything about this guy? Both CBS and SI have no information on this guy.

Now THAT would be a big db!
    OrFan
    NET Veteran

• Dam he's huge for CB. Let's hope he doesn't snap our #45 pick in half during scrimmage.
    HunnyBadger
    NET Starter

• Interesting to see them moving him to CB.......lets see how it plays out. Although I was pretty happy to see them draft a potential backup to Earl and Kam.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• 6'3" and 220 lbs with a 4.4 forty is insane. Loves to play the run so I can see him lighting people up.

Reportedly has good work habits. Ran a 3.31 twenty yard shuttle, so he's a bit stiff.

Everyone is saying they will have him at CB but it seems he has stiff hips. Still very intriguing prospect. Simon is already on notice lol. Competition for the back end of this secondary is fierce.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• I love this pick in the 6th round. Dude is a freak athlete and is still learning the game. Can't wait to see if he can develop into a CB because we probably aren't going to be able to resign Maxwell barring some ridiculous drop off in performance/injury/suspension.

If he ends up being our starting CB across from Sherm, we are going to absolutely manhandle WRs.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• JGfromtheNW wrote:I love this pick in the 6th round. Dude is a freak athlete and is still learning the game. Can't wait to see if he can develop into a CB because we probably aren't going to be able to resign Maxwell barring some ridiculous drop off in performance/injury/suspension.

If he ends up being our starting CB across from Sherm, we are going to absolutely manhandle WRs.

I think they obviously see him as the possible Browner/Thurmond replacement.
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• Hawks46 wrote:6'3" and 220 lbs with a 4.4 forty is insane. Loves to play the run so I can see him lighting people up.

Reportedly has good work habits. Ran a 3.31 twenty yard shuttle, so he's a bit stiff.

Everyone is saying they will have him at CB but it seems he has stiff hips. Still very intriguing prospect. Simon is already on notice lol. Competition for the back end of this secondary is fierce.

Love the pick. We definitely needed a CB this draft and this guy seems to fit the bill of Seahawks corners.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• I've been following him since he committed to SDSU as he is the son of one of my friends. He'll make everyone forget about Browner (when he was on the field and on his game). He's a student of the game and fits the LOB mold.
    HawkRam
    NET Practice Squad

• HunnyBadger wrote:Dam he's huge for CB. Let's hope he doesn't snap our #45 pick in half during scrimmage.

And let's hope he one day reminds us of #45. ; )
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• HawkRam wrote:I've been following him since he committed to SDSU as he is the son of one of my friends. He'll make everyone forget about Browner (when he was on the field and on his game). He's a student of the game and fits the LOB mold.

Nice insight!!! Im excited about this pick
    Ziggyy108
    NET Starter

• He's huge for a FS, so I'm guessing it's his speed and range that have him listed as one. Since many believe we can't afford Maxwell after this season, I'm guessing he's our insurance policy.
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Rookie

• 28 Adams, Phillip CB 5-11 195 25 5 South Carolina State
    38 Fenner, Chandler CB 6-1 189 23 3 Holy Cross
    32 Jefferson, A.J. CB 6-1 190 26 5 Fresno State
    20 Lane, Jeremy CB 6-0 190 23 3 Northwestern State (La.)
    LeGree, Jimmy CB 6-0 187 23 R South Carolina
    41 Maxwell, Byron CB 6-1 207 26 4 Clemson
    Pinkins, Eric CB 6-3 220 23 R San Diego St.
    25 Sherman, Richard CB 6-3 195 26 4 Stanford
    27 Simon, Tharold CB 6-3 202 23 2 LSU
    36 Auguste, Akeem DB 5-10 185 24 2 South Carolina
    42 Parks, Terrance DB 6-2 218 24 1 Florida State
    35 Shead, DeShawn DB 6-2 220 25 3 Portland State
    29 Thomas, Earl FS 5-10 202 25 5 Texas
    Bailey, Dion SS 6-0 200 22 R USC
    31 Chancellor, Kam SS 6-3 232 26 5 Virginia Tech
    23 Johnson, Jeron SS 5-10 212 25 4 Boise State

Just list of competition for the DB's this year. It appears we bought a lot of insurance. This is from official website Roster Listing.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Gotta love the mentality/attitude too...

It's a true blessing just to be part of the Legion of Boom. I actually want to earn my spot on the Legion of Boom, because I don't want to just come in and be a part of it. I want to come in, I want to compete and I want to help out the organization.
    - Eric Pinkins
    Shane Falco
    NET Veteran

• Shane Falco wrote:Gotta love the mentality/attitude too...

It's a true blessing just to be part of the Legion of Boom. I actually want to earn my spot on the Legion of Boom, because I don't want to just come in and be a part of it. I want to come in, I want to compete and I want to help out the organization.
    - Eric Pinkins

Like this alot. Excited about this kid.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.

"Beast Mode is artist, puny Saints Defense merely his canvas!"

"When you die the only kingdom you'll see, will be two foot wide and six foot deep!"
    HawksSoc
    NET Veteran

• Shane Falco wrote:Gotta love the mentality/attitude too...

- Eric Pinkins

That's awesome. This is my favorite pick of the draft. I kept waiting for them to draft a corner and when I saw Pinkins I got excited about the prospect of another Kam, but to hear that he may end up at corner, well that's just terrific.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Starter

• He is Browner 2.0, did you see his highlight where he blocked the punt and running towards a td, he tripped up and fell. I like this kids makeup, lets hope he has some coverage skills. Looks like he has long arms for swatting the ball away.
    "A superstar can win any game; however, a team can win every game".
    Renohawk
    NET Starter

• From Seattle Times:

Carroll on moving Pinkins to playing press corner: “He’s a remarkable athlete, as long and tall as he is, and the speed that he has, and he has receiver background. So, he has a lot of good qualities that we like. The fact that he has such great arm length and he’s almost 6’3” gives us a chance to see if we can find him a spot at corner, first. He’s been a real physical guy. John reminded me that he’s been a really good tackler. We thought that was one of the things that jumped out on the film. So, we know he can play football. Now, we’d like to see whether we can package this thing to see if he can play outside. He played a lot on the slots, but covered a lot of man-to-man stuff on slot receivers. But, it’s going to be a transition for him, and we’re willing to go through, and we think he’s the perfect guy to give a shot at that.”

Carroll on whether Pinkins can be a safety type: “Absolutely, that’s what he does. That’s what he’s built his college career on; playing safety. He’s a hard hitter and a tackler, he would fall right into Kam’s kind of a role, and probably that kind of style if he’s playing safety. He gives us great flexibility, we think he’s a really cool pick because of that.”
    jake206
    NET Starter

• jake206 wrote:From Seattle Times:

Carroll on moving Pinkins to playing press corner: “He’s a remarkable athlete, as long and tall as he is, and the speed that he has, and he has receiver background. So, he has a lot of good qualities that we like. The fact that he has such great arm length and he’s almost 6’3” gives us a chance to see if we can find him a spot at corner, first. He’s been a real physical guy. John reminded me that he’s been a really good tackler. We thought that was one of the things that jumped out on the film. So, we know he can play football. Now, we’d like to see whether we can package this thing to see if he can play outside. He played a lot on the slots, but covered a lot of man-to-man stuff on slot receivers. But, it’s going to be a transition for him, and we’re willing to go through, and we think he’s the perfect guy to give a shot at that.”

Carroll on whether Pinkins can be a safety type: “Absolutely, that’s what he does. That’s what he’s built his college career on; playing safety. He’s a hard hitter and a tackler, he would fall right into Kam’s kind of a role, and probably that kind of style if he’s playing safety. He gives us great flexibility, we think he’s a really cool pick because of that.”

Really interested to see how Pinkins develops as a CB.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• I see he has Browner's number now.

39 Pinkins, Eric CB 6-3 220 23 R San Diego St.
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Hawks46 wrote:6'3" and 220 lbs with a 4.4 forty is insane. Loves to play the run so I can see him lighting people up.

They said the same thing about Sherm out of college and we all know how that turned out.

I'm hoping for Sherm 2.0 not Browner 2.0. The PI flag/burns to statement manhandling play ratio from Browner never sat that well with me.
    -----------------------------------------
    2014 Adopt a rookie: Backpack Paul Richardson.

"I can't wait to watch them lose their second attempt at a Super Bowl championship. Quest for 1 doesn't quite have the same ring to it" -Butt hurt niners fan.
    jdemps
    NET Rookie

• I just don't get it....every one of our Draft guys and Undrafted Free Agents can all "walk on water"! We do not have room for all sixteen........Pete better have a "sharp knife" handy because somebody ain't going to make the team! Will all 16 be invited to Training Camp in July?
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Bigpumpkin wrote:I just don't get it....every one of our Draft guys and Undrafted Free Agents can all "walk on water"! We do not have room for all sixteen........Pete better have a "sharp knife" handy because somebody ain't going to make the team! Will all 16 be invited to Training Camp in July?

We have 90 players we can invite to camp, the problem you describe is one that you hate but would rather have then have all 16 make the roster plus the guys from last year. The key is to hope after it is done.

and not

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Bigpumpkin wrote:I just don't get it....every one of our Draft guys and Undrafted Free Agents can all "walk on water"! We do not have room for all sixteen........Pete better have a "sharp knife" handy because somebody ain't going to make the team! Will all 16 be invited to Training Camp in July?

90 players make it through training camp and 3 preseason games, then a cut to 75 who get the 4th preseason game. Before the cut to 53/practice squad

they have plenty of time to evaluate these guys
    bigcc
    NET Veteran

LAMike1
    * NET Sage *

• With all desire by teams to replicate Seattle's secondary, I wonder why this guy slid down to us? Seems like he should've been snatched up before we got him. Hmmm.
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:51 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information