Pick #123, 4th Round: WR Kevin Norwood, Alabama

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • I think I've found my Adopt-A-Rookie. After watching that NFL Network feature, I not only think he will succeed, I really WANT him to succeed.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Shadowhawk wrote:I think I've found my Adopt-A-Rookie. After watching that NFL Network feature, I not only think he will succeed, I really WANT him to succeed.

Ditto. That feature just made him my Adopt-A-Rookie for sure. I'll be watching Mr. Norwood closely this pre-season... and rooting for him to succeed!

May you Rest In Peace Les, my friend...
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Norwood plays like Baldwin more than anything.

Good pick.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• I like this guy..He's always trying hard to make a catch and making something happen after catch...Good hands..Great pick...
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• I think he'll play like a slightly bigger and quicker Ben Obumanu.
    45Hawker
    NET Practice Squad

• red grenadine wrote:Reads like a taller Bobby Engram

my thoughts exactly. This guy will compete with Baldwin for the slot. I could see us moving Baldwin over on third downs and having two targets for Wilson to move the chains with.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• 25 years old. 4 years at Alabama.

Should come in and compete immediately
    Ziggyy108
    NET Starter

• Everyone's heard of this guy so he must be a great pick!
    Seaswab
    NET Veteran

• I'm really excited about this pick after watching that NFLN special they had on him. This guy has the make-up to be our number one wide receiver. I think in 2015 he will be our number 1 receiver. He has the ability to catch the ball at the highest point consistently as well being clutch on 3rd downs. Russell Wilson loves giving his receivers a chance when it's one on one coverage.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

• They say he's really good when the play breaks down, so he will fit in perfectly here.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• His measurables are solid across the board played well for Bama I like this selection .
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• JS seems really high on this pick
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Apparently we wanted him at our original pick, before trading with Cinci, and John thought we would lose him after the trade. Was ecstatic he was still on the board even after the trade.
    Kam Chancellor: The Chancellor of Defense
    Bruce Irvin: BruceMode
    Tharold Simon: Humble Thug
    Paul Richardson: BPR
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

• Hands down my favorite pick in the draft. Polished, great hands, works his way open, ultimate possession WR, and good in the red zone too. I know the Bobby Engram comps are overused and I'm as guilty of that as anyone, but this guy is about as close as you will find to an age 30+ Bobby Engram.

Very surprised by this pick, there were some very physically talented WRs still on the board and Norwood is a so-so athlete that is pure polish. Great pick though. Sometimes it's good to be surprised.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I watch the highlights and he reminds me of Hakeem Nicks, at least in his rookie season. A guy with great hands who can stretch the field, line up anywhere, and will go up and get the ball.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Starter

• This guy is going to be a beast.
    strohmin
    NET Starter

• FortWorthSeahawk wrote:Apparently we wanted him at our original pick, before trading with Cinci, and John thought we would lose him after the trade. Was ecstatic he was still on the board even after the trade.

Playing with fire .....
    Ziggyy108
    NET Starter

• Ziggyy108 wrote:
    FortWorthSeahawk wrote:Apparently we wanted him at our original pick, before trading with Cinci, and John thought we would lose him after the trade. Was ecstatic he was still on the board even after the trade.

Playing with fire .....

Heh. It worked. THREE TIMES in this draft alone, from what we understand. That's some steel ones right there.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Any links to the nfl network feature on him?
    Uthawk
    NET Practice Squad

• Morewood Norwood, baby!
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Remember in Wilson's rookie season when he threw a bunch of passes where it was 50/50? This is the guy that's gonna go get those this year. I think we really start throwing more than we ever have under this regime.
    acbass
    NET Starter

• Easily my favorite draft choice this year . He has great body control very good at tracking the ball and positioning himself to climb the ladder and make the catch . Excellent hands competes for the ball makes the tough catch in traffic . I think we have a good one here.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• The competition for the last couple of WR spots will be intense.

Safe:
    Harvin
    Baldwin
    Kearse
    Richardson

Will Compete:
    Rice
    Norwood
    Lockette
    Price
    Bates
    Matthews
    Walters
    Clark

I don't think they carry 7 WR's so .. Bring on the competition
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Loved the NFL piece about him, especially at the 3:30 mark where he takes about preparation and watching film. He sounds like he's already ready for 4am film sessions with Russell!
    2014 Adopt a Rookie: Kevin Norwood
    etanate
    NET Bench Warmer

• John and Pete sounded ecstatic that they were able to get Norwood, like positively giddy.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• They will be willing to carry 7 WR's if the last two guys will be contributing on special teams. All of Richardson, Norwood, lockette, Bates could be beasts on special teams, so I could easily see 7 receivers on the 53 man roster
    CalgaryHawk
    NET Rookie

• Thye say that he isn't a burner, neither was Rice, 4.65 and this guy is faster then that, remember if your prepared and smart you can overcome a 10th of a second with just decisions. besides 4.5 isn't really slow, just not trackstar speed, last time I looked these guys are not running in a straight line with nobody in front of them.

Also we have seen a lot of fast guys never do squat, if they can't get seperation or set a defender up to get open they end up watching on TV in a few years.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Definitely my "Adopt a Rookie" pick. Not as fast as Richardson, but also doesn't look like he should star on "Manute Bol plays football." I think he'll be a contributor this season.

I'm confused. How is being 25 years old a concern?
    Kennedyin92
    NET Rookie

• Kennedyin92 wrote:Definitely my "Adopt a Rookie" pick. Not as fast as Richardson, but also doesn't look like he should star on "Manute Bol plays football." I think he'll be a contributor this season.

I'm confused. How is being 25 years old a concern?

There isn't much time for him to develop and to be utilized. Consider Golden Tate as an example, he is 25 now and has been in the league for 4 years already. It took 3 years for Tate to develop into the player he is now. By the time Norwood learns how to be a polished NFL WR,etc., he could be on the decline. When his second contract comes up, he'll be about 29 or 30 (assuming he plays out his current contract) which is entering the wrong side of the age spectrum. Tate just got his 2nd contract and still has 5 years before 30. It's not a complete deal breaker, but obviously him being younger is better than him being older.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• If Pete and John are giddy I'm whacked-out giddy after reading this thread and watching the highlight vid. I LOVE this type of guy.

Like Richardson for the speed and this guy for the height and possession, love that both guys have route-running mentioned in connection with their names. That was Golden's biggest hurdle to contributing quickly. Run a good route and Russell will have it memorized by end of camp and be diming you all day when he's blitzed or flushed out the pocket.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• From Seattle Times:

Schneider on the traits of Norwood that stand out: “He’s 6’2”, he’s 4.47, he’s long, he has big hands, he has a savviness about him as a route runner, he can drop his hips, he knows exactly where the sticks are, he works very well with quarterbacks. Works back to quarterbacks real well. You could see with A.J., he helped A.J. out a lot. A.J. talked about him a lot, that he was his go-to guy. He always knew where he was going to be. He was super steady, and he’s deceptive down the field because, you’ll see. I don’t want to say silky smooth, or anything like that, but he’s got a smoothness about him, but he’s got more power than you think, too. He’s a little bit more of a gainer down the field than you would think. He has very good body control, and he has really quick feet, and he gets his head around real quick, and he has real quick eyes. I can’t believe we were able to draft him, it’s pretty neat.”
    jake206
    NET Starter

• Hasselbeck wrote:The competition for the last couple of WR spots will be intense.

Safe:
    Harvin
    Baldwin
    Kearse
    Richardson

Will Compete:
    Rice
    Norwood
    Lockette
    Price
    Bates
    Matthews
    Walters
    Clark

I don't think they carry 7 WR's so .. Bring on the competition

Norwood is an absolute lock (imo) and I think Lockette makes the 53 as well. I have a feeling we will pass as often as we run this year so IF Rice proves to be healthy, I won't be stunned if we carry 7. As slight as Richardson is, combined with the history of Rice and Harvin, I think it would be a wise decision to do so (and carry one less back).
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• I think I am most excited for this guy. Holy crap he has a high ceiling, and he looks like he is already a beast.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

• HawkFan72 wrote:They just played a great feature on Norwood on NFL Network. He has overcome a lot, something the Hawks really look for. His hard work, dedication, and adversity helped him become a great WR at Alabama. Pure Seahawk pick.

Saw this too. Seems like a great kid with tremendous character and good ball skills. Like the pick very much!!
    G-Money
    NET Practice Squad

• I see a lot of potential, especially because it sounds like he and Russ can develop into something special as they both extend the play. Is this guy basically another Kearse? In that short video he looks a lot like Kearse to me, just wondering if other people agree or disagree and why...
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• I don't see the age thing as an issue at all. He's actually only one year older than a lot of guys coming out, he just has an early birthday. He's also over a year younger than Golden Tate and come the end of his first contract he'll be 28, so will still have a few prime years left.

I really like this pick, looking forward to having him and ADB on 3rd downs.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

• SomersetHawk wrote:I don't see the age thing as an issue at all. He's actually only one year older than a lot of guys coming out, he just has an early birthday. He's also over a year younger than Golden Tate and come the end of his first contract he'll be 28, so will still have a few prime years left.

I really like this pick, looking forward to having him and ADB on 3rd downs.

I agree age is not an issue but for a different reason. I don't care if any of these guys get a second contract. Unless he is a superstar this FO will be re loading in every draft and by the time he is 28 looking for a contract there will be 3 or 4 new guys bigger faster stronger.

Only the elite will get second contracts with this team. So don't worry about age.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• I think we will slowly become a little more pass heavy team based on the number of WRs we have. We will still have the run game for sure and clock management and stuff like that, but RW is now in his 3rd year and he should now be lot more better with predicting and reading defenses and throwing the ball more comfortably to sure hands. Bevell will have an heck on an year with all of them here.
    seahawks08
    NET Veteran

LAMike1
    * NET Sage *

Previous

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:12 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information