Pick #108, 4th Round: DE/LEO Cassius Marsh, UCLA

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • Who was the UCLA DL that Seattle met with repeatedly a couple months ago? Was it Marsh or someone else? I remember him being a white guy who played in the front seven, whoever it was.

I'll be honest, this pick kind of pissed me off. Not because anything is wrong with Marsh, and not because of who we passed on to take him, but because of who we passed on last year. John Simon.

Marsh is basically John Simon 2.0, except Simon was much much better in almost every way. When Seattle passed on Simon repeatedly last year letting him slide to the late 4th, I just accepted it because I thought Seattle wasn't into that kind of player profile. But now that they've taken Marsh, it looks like they just didn't like Simon as much as they should have. Anyway, these guys obviously make up for it, but it's still kind of annoying. I guess the downside of giving regional scouts their due is some of them may not be all that talented as decision makers.

Marsh does look decently athletic on the field, though it's worth noting his combine numbers mostly sucked. Seattle usually favors combine heroes over guys with good tape, so this pick was very surprising to me.

His tape is pretty good though, he gives off some Justin Smith vibes. A badass in the phone booth, as Scotte would say. Of course, Smith is 33 pounds heavier, but Seattle loves to draft skinny guys and bulk them up, and that was never more apparent than in this draft.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• kearly wrote:Who was the UCLA DL that Seattle met with repeatedly a couple months ago? Was it Marsh or someone else? I remember him being a white guy who played in the front seven, whoever it was.

I'll be honest, this pick kind of pissed me off. Not because anything is wrong with Marsh, and not because of who we passed on to take him, but because of who we passed on last year. John Simon.

Marsh is basically John Simon 2.0, except Simon was much much better in almost every way. When Seattle passed on Simon repeatedly last year letting him slide to the late 4th, I just accepted it because I thought Seattle wasn't into that kind of player profile. But now that they've taken Marsh, it looks like they just didn't like Simon as much as they should have. Anyway, these guys obviously make up for it, but it's still kind of annoying. I guess the downside of giving regional scouts their due is some of them may not be all that talented as decision makers.

Marsh does look decently athletic on the field, though it's worth noting his combine numbers mostly sucked. Seattle usually favors combine heroes over guys with good tape, so this pick was very surprising to me.

His tape is pretty good though, he gives off some Justin Smith vibes. A badass in the phone booth, as Scotte would say. Of course, Smith is 33 pounds heavier, but Seattle loves to draft skinny guys and bulk them up, and that was never more apparent than in this draft.

Yes this is the guy. Still has a Hawks hat from the meeting. Said he met with entire staff including Pete
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

Location: Victoria BC or my Galactic Stonghold on Nar Shaddaa

• Any chance this guy is actually a potential replacement at Sam if Wright leaves at next contract?
    six sigma
    NET Rookie

• This guy is supposed to be a nasty, mean player.

I hope Marsh doesn't mellow.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• kearly wrote:

I wouldn't say they sucked. 2nd fastest 20 yard shuttle and 3rd fastest 3 cone.

says to me he has pretty good explostion and quickness.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• Well based on the profiles of a lot of the players we picked up this year the Rams are gonna get punched back hard if they pull the shit they pulled last year.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Smellyman wrote:
    kearly wrote:

I wouldn't say they sucked. 2nd fastest 20 yard shuttle and 3rd fastest 3 cone.

says to me he has pretty good explostion and quickness.

Right. Good quickness/explosion and they think this guy can be an sub package inside pass rusher as well as playing DE. Really heavy handed player who they think is a lot like Bennett. Even played some 5 tech at UCLA because he's just a really tough player. Cassius has been up to 300 pounds at one point. I'd assume that he may actually put on some weight, but not back up to 300 pounds. I really think they had Bennett in mind when they drafted him.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• From Seattle Times:

Carroll on how Marsh fits into the defense: “He’s always been a really good football player. His nature showed up as a kid. He’s really a hard-working, tough guy. He’s as aggressive and active as anybody that was in the draft. We love that motor that he brings. The chance to get reunited, and met the family, and all that way back when, watched him grow up through his high school days. It’s exciting to give him this opportunity to come to this club. He’s going to come with a real attitude. We’re really fired up about that.”

Carroll whether Marsh will play tackle: “He’s going to play end, he’s going to rush inside on third down situations for us, and compete at that spot. He has a lot of versatility, he can do a lot of things If you watched it closely, he logged some plays on offense at times. We think he’ll contribute in a lot of ways. This is a real classic guy for us and that we think he can do a lot of different things. We’re going to try to work it out and figure out how we can best situate it, so he can take advantage of that.”

Carroll on comparing Marsh to Michael Bennett: “Because Michael has so much flexibility, and Cassius likewise does, we think. In essence, he’s follow Michael around a little bit about the different spots that we play. And then we’ll create his own scenario, but it will take some time to get that figured out.”

On playing Marsh on offense in the red zone: “Carroll: Honestly, we’ve already talked about that, that’s a consideration. He’s already shown that he can do that. Schneider: He’s got great hands. His workout as a tight end was excellent. I’m serious. I know you think I’m messing around, but I’m being serious.”
    jake206
    NET Veteran

• RichNhansom wrote:What off field issues? Google doesn't show anything but a game ejection and possible discipline for that.

Also:

Pick Analysis: "Pete Carroll has never been afraid of an off-field challenge. He is gifted. I think he's an outside linebacker-defensive end 'tweener. But there are some questions about him off the field." -- Mike Mayock

Anyone know what the off-field stuff is?
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Marsh doesn't have any off the field issues. He has been suspended twice for fighting on the field/in practice.
    seahawk 17
    NET Rookie

• Looks like a very solid tackler. Good in the open field.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Will be interesting to see how he is used within the defensive scheme. Seems pretty versatile.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• I think the biggest thing in his favor is that Pete recruited him so was very familiar with him, That and his height of 6'4".

Wouldn't surprise me though if he fails to make the team.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• This guy is my adopt a rookie. Fierce competitor. Looking forward to seeing him fly around the field.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote:Who was the UCLA DL that Seattle met with repeatedly a couple months ago? Was it Marsh or someone else? I remember him being a white guy who played in the front seven, whoever it was.

I could be wrong, but I think Marsh will have more then four total tackles next year, unlike Simon.
    Leave No Doubt - 24/7
    emurri
    NET Rookie

• emurri wrote:
    kearly wrote:Who was the UCLA DL that Seattle met with repeatedly a couple months ago? Was it Marsh or someone else? I remember him being a white guy who played in the front seven, whoever it was.

I could be wrong, but I think Marsh will have more then four total tackles next year, unlike Simon.

Ya, I couldn't really understand why Kearly went off on the John Simon rant.....Cassius will for sure do more.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

LAMike1
    * NET Sage *

• John Simon was one of Kearly's favorite prospects last year and we could have drafted him but didn't. Very high motor. As I see it, the reason we drafted Marsh and not Simon, even though Simon was more productive in college, is that Marsh is 6'4" and Simon is 6'1". Marsh has more versatility because of his larger frame.

For someone who works so hard on the field, it would be nice to see him putting more time and effort into weight training. If he gets significantly stronger, he could be a force. Otherwise, he may find himself getting pushed around.
    godawg
    NET Starter

Previous

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:38 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information