Pick #64, 2nd Round: OT Justin Britt, Missouri

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • All I know is that I was hoping they would address WR and OL this draft. They are doiing that, so this fan is happy. The specific players, where they are ranked and value... all that... It's easy to just not fret and leave that up to this FO. Maybe we get another Carp or Moffitt or maybe we have a couple young bookend tackles for a long time now. At this point I hope they get a good guard also... protecting Russ and keeping that ground game top of the league should be top priority imo.
    Shane Falco
    NET Veteran

• :sarcasm_on:
    Hawknballs wrote:I gave up discussing their picks a while ago.

we needed oline and WR and we got them.

Yep. I never heard of them so it's good news and likely another awesome pick.I love being a Seahawk fan . And he's a Mizzou guy.:)
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• Fing NFL network, goes to commercial when the Hawks draft then come back and skim over the pick. Watched the link above, sounds like he has a bit of just nasty to his general attitude....Perfect. Dude is big, really big and his slow deliberate speech assures me that he just doesn't give a rats ass what any D lineman thinks. We need more dirtbag O lineman. The guy mentioned playing through the end of the whistle also and one of the videos show that he did.
    Have to admit it's been tough watching the draft as the Hawks keep trading down. Hard to get better when you don't make a pick. NOW is the time that PC / JS do the damage, hopefully the NFLY network doesn't show commercials every time they pick......AGAIN.
    irocdave
    NET Veteran

• I've barely watched this guy at all, but he seems like Breno with less power and lighter feet.

I need to watch more, but I am okay with this pick.

Also, ESPN needs to be slapped for acting like this pick never happened.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• irocdave wrote:Fing NFL network, goes to commercial when the Hawks draft then come back and skim over the pick. Watched the link above, sounds like he has a bit of just nasty to his general attitude....Perfect. Dude is big, really big and his slow deliberate speech assures me that he just doesn't give a rats ass what any D lineman thinks. We need more dirtbag O lineman. The guy mentioned playing through the end of the whistle also and one of the videos show that he did.
    Have to admit it's been tough watching the draft as the Hawks keep trading down. Hard to get better when you don't make a pick. NOW is the time that PC / JS do the damage, hopefully the NFLY network doesn't show commercials every time they pick......AGAIN.

They did last year. They cut to commercial on every pick of the hawks. Then glossed over the pick with some quick words. Nothing new.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

Location: Victoria BC or my Galactic Stonghold on Nar Shaddaa

• History of injuries. ACL & foot problems.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• brimsalabim wrote:History of injuries. ACL & foot problems.

We're trying the opposite this time after drafting Okung who had a history of no injuries.
    King Dog
    NET Starter

• Here's your answer to what they drafted him to do:

John Boyle ‏@johnpboyle 38s
    Tom Cable said Justin Britt will compete with Michael Bowie at RT, but can also play both guard spots. #Seahawks

Kevin Shockey ‏@KevinShockey 9m
    "He'll start from day one when he gets here, competing with Bowie for the RT job." Tom Cable on @JustinBritt68
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• You can certainly tell the pessimists from the optimists during the draft... LOL
    daveman918
    NET Rookie

• Cable just said it was confirmed that Britt would've been taken within the next few picks.
    Last edited by razgriz737 on Fri May 09, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:For those that call it a reach: You honestly can't call it a reach unless you have watched his tape and put a grade on him. Do you know where other teams graded him? No. All you know is what you see on some media produced mocks that become increasingly inaccurate as we go deeper into the draft.

What do you hate about this pick besides your knee jerk reaction based on some half-baked Kiper/McShay mock?

Exactly.

What bothers me is people continue to use the Carpenter/Moffitt arguments as if means something to Cable. And every single time I ask those people in the 2011, what linemen should we have drafted instead that would have done better instead.

Is it Cable's fault, that a lock-out plus 2 serious knee injuries derailed Carpenter's career?

Is it Cable's fault, that Moffitt's heart wasn't seriously into football and wasn't as tough as he looked at Wisconsin? Cable gave him every opportunity to earn his position and he got out played by Sweezy.

But again ALL YOU HATERS look at the 2011 Draft and tell me what O-Linemen should the Seahawks have drafted because in retrospect that year for O-Linemen is probably the worst I've seen since following the drafts. Just downright poor talent but we needed O-Line in 2011 in the worst way.
    TURN DOWN FOR WHAT? -The 12th Man
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:Cable just said it was confirmed that Britt would've been taken within the next few picks.

Ha ha. I was waiting for that kind of statement to be put out there :)
    Last edited by King Dog on Fri May 09, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    King Dog
    NET Starter

• DavidSeven wrote:For those that call it a reach: You honestly can't call it a reach unless you have watched his tape and put a grade on him. Do you know where other teams graded him? No. All you know is what you see on some media produced mocks that become increasingly inaccurate as we go deeper into the draft.

What do you hate about this pick besides your knee jerk reaction based on some half-baked Kiper/McShay mock?

Jokes aside, Kiper and McShay know much more than any of us. Believe it. So does Mayock, who had Britt slated for the 5th rd. Aside from our FO, who do you suggest we listen to? I am not being sarcastic.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Cable said he was really concerned Britt would be gone when they selected and said they heard afterward he would have been taken shortly.
    TheWebHead
    NET Rookie

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:Here's your answer to what they drafted him to do:

John Boyle ‏@johnpboyle 38s
    Tom Cable said Justin Britt will compete with Michael Bowie at RT, but can also play both guard spots. #Seahawks

Thanks, Sailor
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• I'm beginning to wonder if some Seahawks.net posters watched this team win the Super Bowl.

This dude's got the measurables, Cable will add the toughness, and *BAM* Awesome pick. Seriously, he could be better than Jake Matthews.

Really, what do some of you want? Breno was a mauler, people here hated him, and now they've got someone with more finesse. MAKE UP YOUR MIND.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• HawkWow wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:For those that call it a reach: You honestly can't call it a reach unless you have watched his tape and put a grade on him. Do you know where other teams graded him? No. All you know is what you see on some media produced mocks that become increasingly inaccurate as we go deeper into the draft.

Jokes aside, Kiper and McShay know much more than any of us. Believe it. So does Mayock, who had Britt slated for the 5th rd. Aside from our FO, who do you suggest we listen to? I am not being sarcastic.

Ahem...they do NOT know more than I, kind sir.
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• Idea for Warren Buffet: offer 1billion dollars to anyone who correctly picks all Seahawks draft picks in the correct order under the JSPCTC era.

It may very well be as difficult and unpredictable as picking a perfect March Madness bracket.
    Snakeeyes007
    NET Rookie

• HawkWow wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:For those that call it a reach: You honestly can't call it a reach unless you have watched his tape and put a grade on him. Do you know where other teams graded him? No. All you know is what you see on some media produced mocks that become increasingly inaccurate as we go deeper into the draft.

There are quite a few who would argue with that statement, including those who have seen their track records. Seriously, Bobo the trained chimp flinging poo at a dart board has a better history of good picks than Kiper.

I'm not worried about what any of them say.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• BlueThunder wrote:I think that's the main advantage that our organization has... Look for this or that that Pete and John see, and then hit 'em hard with targeted coaching, targeting their perceived weakness, then concentrate on strengthening that weakness and turning them into a very good or elite player. At least that's the way it has seemed to have gone with our other passed-over draft picks and ignored free agents so far. Anyone else agree with that assessment?

Actually, that's exactly the opposite of what Pete and John say their approach is. They target and concentrate on what a player's strengths are, and do what they can to maximize them, and don't put them in a situation where their weaknesses are exposed.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• HawkWow wrote:

So they can't be wrong? Got it
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• HawkWow wrote:

Yeah but they have little to no insight into how they fot into Seattle's system.

Unfortunately, only the FO has reasonable insight into their plans for a player and how they rated them.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• After hearing Cable talk about him I am looking forward to this kid on the line. It is obvious they wanted him and didn't believe that he would be available with their next pick.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Hey Mod's, can I wee-wee on the next dude that uses the word "measurables" in a sentence??? Correctly of course, and to compare and contrast.

The staff knows, they get paid to know.
    Relax... Frankie says so.
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    "Check your PMs"
    Pithy Radish.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

• Hawkfan77 wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:

So they can't be wrong? Got it

Mayock immediately after his comment said: "They clearly know more than I do" - giving due deference to the Super Bowl champions.

To the people here who seem unable to grasp this one simple fact: the Seahawks DO NOT draft players they think will be good on any team. They draft players who will be good on ours. In the meantime, the talking heads don't understand what makes Seattle tick.

Furthermore if you complain about this 5th round crap, you forget one major thing: This FO is crazy like a fox. Remember when they waited to draft Russell Wilson in the 3rd round, even though Schneider would've done it in the first and second? They know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. If the grabbed this guy at 64, it's because they knew he'd be gone. End of.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:Mayock immediately after his comment said: "They clearly know more than I do" - giving due deference to the Super Bowl champions.

To the people here who seem unable to grasp this one simple fact: the Seahawks DO NOT draft players they think will be good on any team. They draft players who will be good on ours. In the meantime, the talking heads don't understand what makes Seattle tick.

Furthermore if you complain about this 5th round crap, you forget one major thing: This FO is crazy like a fox. Remember when they waited to draft Russell Wilson in the 3rd round, even though Schneider would've done it in the first and second? They know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. If the grabbed this guy at 64, it's because they knew he'd be gone. End of.

This times 1000. Thank you. They draft for the Seahawks not for the NFL
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Their next pick was a long ways off so if this is their guy, I am good with it. Once they traded down I knew we would end up with someone I didnt know on OL. But I am ignorant of a lot of what many college teams have to offer us.
    BullHawk33
    NET Rookie

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ56nnLEAT8

He look like he had a ruff game in this one.

I like that they address one of our needs with the pick hopefully they can coach him up.

After watching it about 10 times he did have some good blocks in the game though. He tends to get off balance sometimes and got lit up. He will be playing the rt or guard instead of lt so that is a plus. Well see how it goes I guess. Im going to watch some more film on the guy. Ruff start for brother Britt in this one tho.
    Last edited by thegreeninyoureye on Fri May 09, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
    The office of Thomas and Chancellor specializing in Defense.
    thegreeninyoureye
    NET Starter

• The Hawks needed help on the line, even if Bowie and Bailey pan out the depth we had with Breno and McQ is gone. I was more concerned about the Breno loss and I think the Hawks used the latest pick they could on the guy they wanted.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• It's certainly an odd pick and EVERY 'analyst' will surely give us a 'D' rating for it but this year as Super Bowl Champs I'm just going to sit back and trust our coaching crew.

For perspective go back to the 2012 draft and check out our overall draft grades. The best I saw was a 'C' for Irvin/Wilson and many with D/F grades for us overall.
    theascension
    NET Rookie

• That Georgia game is embarrassing. I wouldn't agree that Britt dominated Clowney, but he did a much better job with Clowney than he did vs Georgia. He doesn't do a very good job playing to the whistle, but I suspect Cable will fix that in short order. Britt has surprisingly good feet for 325lbs, but at the same time he will really need to learn how to handle a bull rush, because he gave ground way too easily.

Kind of a puzzling pick. But we've seen Cable do more with less, so we'll have to see it play out.
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

• Who care if he shut out Clowney? Clowney had 3 sacks last year. A lot of guys shut out Clowney.

I don't hate the pick, and I don't like it. He is a right tackle, like Carp, who can play guard if he busts at RT. Like Carp. He is already a better LT than McQ, but who isn't?

My biggest issue, though, is he played from a 2 point stance in a spread. He has a lot to learn.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• I am not sure if anyone posted this but I thought it was great. Ha ha

bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• bigtrain21 wrote:I am not sure if anyone posted this but I thought it was great. Ha ha

That is awesome man :P
    thegreeninyoureye
    NET Starter

• Sarlacc83 wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if some Seahawks.net posters watched this team win the Super Bowl.

This dude's got the measurables, Cable will add the toughness, and *BAM* Awesome pick. Seriously, he could be better than Jake Matthews.

Really, what do some of you want? Breno was a mauler, people here hated him, and now they've got someone with more finesse. MAKE UP YOUR MIND.

I'm beginning to wonder if you have watched or listened to 30+ years of drafts? You can only "coach" so much, the player has to have a solid base to begin with. Can you honestly say you have watched any film of the first two Hawks drafts picks prior to the Hawks drafting them? I say your a liar if you say yes. We are not PC/JS but they have swung and missed on draft picks just like the 31 other teams. Round 3 - 5 are where this duo have proven to make the difference, 2015 will be the crucible.

As I said before, this draft means nothing as this duo provided us with our first Lombardi. This is etched in stone and I and my family will forever be grateful for it.

This is this year though. View it with open eyes, things can change quickly.
    irocdave
    NET Veteran

• good pick in my book....45-0 state wrestling champ says he is a competitor to me and I like what I am learning about the guy so far. Cable knows his picks and John Schneider is the Jedi draft master. I am good having these two picks in...now give me an under the radar, awesome DE pick, a late round tall receiver and DeAnthony Thomas for punt returns and I am thrilled.
    bobincovington
    NET Rookie

• Don't forget we got Breno off the GB practice squad and he was a 5th rounder and in the end, most were happy with his play. He wasn't an all star but we all loved his attitude and work ethic and he helped win a Superbowl.

This guy will work out to be a good pick.

Breno 6.7 318
    Justin 6.6 325
    Last edited by rainger on Fri May 09, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

Location: Victoria BC or my Galactic Stonghold on Nar Shaddaa

• Interesting guy. In the Georgia game he gets blown back so badly you'd think he was John Carlson, but on running plays he's returning the favor. Probably has good core power, but might have issues with balance.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• kearly wrote:Interesting guy. In the Georgia game he gets blown back so badly you'd think he was John Carlson, but on running plays he's returning the favor. Probably has good core power, but might have issues with balance.

Huh... interesting. Listening to Cable's press conference is really enlightening (about the whole o-line really). What struck me was how Cable said that he felt Britt looked awkward playing left tackle- that he would make some strange missteps. I wonder if this is contributing to what you are seeing here. Thanks for the report, Kearly.

Also, it seems that Cable, in his way, is REALLY excited about Carp's potential this year. I never thought he was as problematic as has often been suggested, and I am looking forward to his performance if he is healthy and in better shape this year.
    Seabean
    NET Bench Warmer

• kearly wrote:Interesting guy. In the Georgia game he gets blown back so badly you'd think he was John Carlson, but on running plays he's returning the favor. Probably has good core power, but might have issues with balance.

I know which is weird with him having a wrestling back ground because in that sport you have to have good balance. All we can do is wait and see huh.
    thegreeninyoureye
    NET Starter

• bigtrain21 wrote:I am not sure if anyone posted this but I thought it was great. Ha ha

That gif kinda looks like Walter Jones.

JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• I can honestly say, I know nothing about this kid.
    I watched his combine footage and was not impressed in the least.
    I then watched the videos from the op, all the aggressive attitude seemed to come against smaller cb, s.

Not a big fan of this pick as of now, we'll see how everything pans out.
    Our staff definitely knows more than me.
    I have faith that they see something I don't.
    nepahawk
    NET Starter

• MizzouHawkGal wrote::sarcasm_on:
    Hawknballs wrote:I gave up discussing their picks a while ago.

we needed oline and WR and we got them.

Yep. I never heard of them so it's good news and likely another awesome pick.I love being a Seahawk fan . And he's a Mizzou guy.:)

Woohoo! A Tiger! J-school, class of '97 here. :)

Listening to Justin Britt on the .com draft room feed, he sounded a lot like Max Unger to me. With his versatility he could be a Breno / McQuistan hybrid who can plug in here, there, and everywhere while he's getting his NFL Sea(hawk) legs. But yeah, Cable wants him competing at RT to begin.

Can't wait for tomorrow's mimosa-sipping Saturday-morning draft-viewing! :thirishdrinkers:
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

Haha damn
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• His arms are tiny his ankles are short and he doesn't like ivars clam chowder. Bad pick f-.
    HawkNuts
    NET Rookie

• I really like this pick. He has everything the Seahawks like in an offensive linemen. He can move, he can get to the next level quickly and he has the build and athletic ability to play multiple positions.

I think that he needs to add some muscle and build up his strength a little bit. He can get bullrushed by stronger defensive linemen on occasion. Most of this time its because of a breakdown of fundamentals on his part like not setting up well in his stance in pass blocking and getting off balance.

He's a good guy for the zone blocking scheme and he plays all the way through till the whistle, which Cable loves. Schemewise the techniques and blocking schemes that Missouri used are simpler, but fundamentally similar to the Seahawks run blocking scheme. I expect that this kid can step in and contribute reasonably early. Although I think a year, with a full offseason in a strength and conditioning program could do absolute wonders for him.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• Couldn't we have gotten this guy a round or two later?

Don't like this one either.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Any chance we can get Yankey to join him?
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Rookie

• Tech Worlds wrote:Couldn't we have gotten this guy a round or two later?

Word from the main man is no; he would have vanished a few picks later. And I also heard he was our second choice at the position. One other player they had rated a bit higher went before they could grab him, but they were happy Britt fell to us when he did.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:Couldn't we have gotten this guy a round or two later?

Word from the main man is no; he would have vanished a few picks later. And I also heard he was our second choice at the position. One other player they had rated a bit higher went before they could grab him, but they were happy Britt fell to us when he did.

J-Sizzle said the Seahawks war room predicted a run at tackle. 2 of the 3 picks after us were tackles. 2 more tackles were picked toward the end of the 3rd. Schneid knows his stuff.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:10 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information