Pick #45, 2nd Round: WR Paul Richardson, Colorado

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • This guy looks like a Desean Jackson clone. He was the only threat on a Terrible Colorado team and still balled. I'm very happy with this pick.

He also tore apart that Oregon CB this year who's projected to be a top 10 pick next year as well.
    Last edited by Steve2222 on Fri May 09, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• I think the Seahawks should fire Carroll and Schneider and hire the naysayers on this forum to make our draft picks.

They obviously know WAY more about football, and how to build a successful Seahawks team, than Schneider and Carroll.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• HawkWow wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:The more I see of this guy, the more I like the pick. A lot of crazy speed, some circus catches, one-handed catches, catches with guys draped all over him, some great separation -- all good stuff. If this guy plays to his potential, we have the possibility of having Speed Thing 1 and Speed Thing 2 with he and Harvin lining up across from each other. Having an explosion of fast receivers coming out at you on pass plays is a pretty dangerous thing for defenses.

And for those who want a big body WR, there are still guys like that out there, and we have a bunch more picks coming up. Stay tuned!

Richardson is a great WR. But sitting out a year with injuries and entering the NFL at 170 is a bit spooky for me. But again, Pete and JS live and breathe all of this and I have total confidence in them (despite some recent head scratchers).

Colorado Buffaloes board says he's up to 180 and plans to get to 190 by the start of the season.
    hieroglyphics
    NET Bench Warmer

• I wonder who is more excited about this pick? Russ or Percy.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• Before the second round started he said he has bulked up to 180 and going to 190
    Kamcussion
    NET Starter

• HawkWow wrote:
    Hawkfan77 wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:The only people happier than the Richardsons with this pick is the other 3 D lines in the NFCW.

The drafts over?! :shock:

Glad you liked the pick. I didn't. You have a problem with that?

I think what people have a problem with is you over here whining like a 2 year old child who got their candy bar taken away. Dude, we get it. You don't like the pick. You can stop bawling and screaming now, it's rather annoying.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• Let's keep it civil in these threads, ladies and gentlemen. Watch the tape, step back and take a break if you're getting all wound up about this. Pete and John are professionals. They don't hit it out of the park on every single pick, but they do a bit better than average. Long way to go 'til the season starts.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Richardson presser on .com right now.
    BobcatHawk
    NET Starter

• HansGruber wrote:I think the Seahawks should fire Carroll and Schneider and hire the naysayers on this forum to make our draft picks.

They obviously know WAY more about football, and how to build a successful Seahawks team, than Schneider and Carroll.

This happens every year. Every year and the complainers never learn.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:
    HansGruber wrote:I think the Seahawks should fire Carroll and Schneider and hire the naysayers on this forum to make our draft picks.

This happens every year. Every year and the complainers never learn.

I'll be the first to admit that when they picked Russell Wilson, I looked at my girlfriend and said, "Well, that was a waste of a draft pick." I wanted Nick Foles. Then I thought there was no way Wilson would start over Flynn. I still laugh at myself for that. And I learned my lesson.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• Says he weighed 161 in college, now weighs 183.
    hieroglyphics
    NET Bench Warmer

• After the initial disappointment (really wanted Latimer) I'm coming round to this pick. Looks like he was a team captain and seems to have a knack for getting separation. Then you think - two complete speedsters on the team with him and Percy, should be quite exciting.

Hindsight being 20/20 and all, resigining Rice to 1yr deal probably should have been the writing on the wall for drafting a large receiver early (especially considering we're throwing Chris Matthews in as well).

Does anyone else find it really comforting how Doug Baldwin called the pick, saying Richardson was the most dangerous receiver? I don't know why - Doug's only a player at the end of the day, not a GM - but I find that comment has me the most excited by this pick. Still - please bulk up Paul, don't want to have the most talented WR corps all being injury risks.
    WorcesterHawks
    NET Practice Squad

• Hawks made hay with Jermaine Kearse last year as their deep threat. Percy with speed underneath to suck defenders in, this guy with speed over the top to make them pay and maybe even get separation.

If a tall guy with skillz was around and an obvious pick that would have been neato. This pick makes our offense more dangerous in a different way. I'm kind of excited to see a guy touted for route-running who also has speed.

And come on James Carpenter is the biggest head scratcher in JS's tenure by far.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• In the locked thread, hawkfan68 wrote:

Oh no....seriously. Paul Richardson? They could have got this guy in the 4th round. What a waste of a pick. This guy makes Harvin look buff. Dude better get bigger or he's going to get smashed at LOS. Not thrilled with this pick at all. What are you thinking PC/JS?

I just want to point out that Harvin is probably the strongest WR on the roster, he's stronger then Tate, Kearse, Rice, Baldwin, and Lockette (but I'm not entirely sure on RL though).

Percy Harvin is a tank.

On Paul Richardson, I like this move... imo this is a chess piece directed at the Cardinals as well as the Defensive Line in the NFC West. The Seahawks couldn't beat the Cardinals over the top, no matter how many times they tried in the Home loss. Percy Harvin is better served as a swiss army knife in the short to intermediate passing game.

This is a good pick... speed, speed, speed... or in this case elite separation... is the logical term...against blitz happy teams Richardson might eventually be Russell's Guardian Angel.

I really want ASJ but I'm not going to question the Front Office of the Superbowl Champions , Seattle Seahawks in a negative matter, no they aren't always right but they run this show not us.

Also, this is some quality leverage against Harvin to renegotiate after this year or next plus possibly brings Baldwins asking price down just a tad.
    If I seem too passionate, it’s because I care. And if I come on too strong, it’s because I feel strongly. And if I push too hard, it’s because things aren’t moving fast enough. This is my home, you are my family, and I promise you, I’m not going anywhere.” - L.K.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

• Gets separation and wins over the top. The fact is that we did not have an "over-the-top" receiver before this. Sidney Rice was arguably the only guy who fit that mold. Percy has never historically taken the top off defenses. That's not Baldwin's game, and that's not Kearse's game either. We're too easy to defend without that kind of threat, which Arizona and St. Louis have already shown the world.

This pick makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by DavidSeven on Fri May 09, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• In the locked thread, hawkfan68 wrote:

Oh no....seriously. Paul Richardson? They could have got this guy in the 4th round. What a waste of a pick. This guy makes Harvin look buff. Dude better get bigger or he's going to get smashed at LOS. Not thrilled with this pick at all. What are you thinking PC/JS?

I just want to point out that Harvin is probably the strongest WR on the roster, he's stronger then Tate, Kearse, Rice, Baldwin, and Lockette (but I'm not entirely sure on RL though).

Percy Harvin is a tank.

On Paul Richardson, I like this move... imo this is a chess piece directed at the Cardinals as well as the Defensive Line in the NFC West. The Seahawks couldn't beat the Cardinals over the top, no matter how many times they tried in the Home loss. Percy Harvin is better served as a swiss army knife in the short to intermediate passing game.

This is a good pick... speed, speed, speed... or in this case elite separation... is the logical term...against blitz happy teams Richardson might eventually be Russell's Guardian Angel.

I really want ASJ but I'm not going to question the Front Office of the Superbowl Champions , Seattle Seahawks in a negative matter, no they aren't always right but they run this show not us.

Also, this is some quality leverage against Harvin to renegotiate after this year or next plus possibly brings Baldwins asking price down just a tad.
    If I seem too passionate, it’s because I care. And if I come on too strong, it’s because I feel strongly. And if I push too hard, it’s because things aren’t moving fast enough. This is my home, you are my family, and I promise you, I’m not going anywhere.” - L.K.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

• Steve2222 wrote:I wonder who is more excited about this pick? Russ or Percy.

The answer would be Russ.

This is the guy who will replace Harvin if/when he gets injured again.
    bjornanderson21
    NET Rookie

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:6"0", 175 lbs. Graded out at 5.2 on NFL.com. 40-yard dash in 4.40. Explosive speed guy they compared to Harvin.

NFL.com Analysis: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/paul-richardson?id=2543491

Our first pick of the draft. Discuss.
    Huh? :? Ok, smurfs it is. Dan Marino did ok with it.
    Last edited by MizzouHawkGal on Fri May 09, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Lol. Just kidding. I don't know a thing about this guy.
    King Dog
    NET Starter

• I love it.... but Kearly thought he was the 20th best WR in the draft so I sig it.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Just to expand on my rapidly merging opinions on this pick...

Like: Team captain, SPEED, separation, fuidity

Concerns: Slight build, doesn't return punts, small hands, injury history

Key point: His separation is a strength and is something our WRs tend to lack, this should be a boon for us in deep and intermediate passes. HOWEVER many of our passes seem to be intended for WR to contest them and come down with them, leaning less on separation and more on fighting for the ball. Whether this was due to playing to our WRs strengths or a settled gameplan remains to be seen, but it could have a real impact on how well Richardson plays for us, particularly as a rookie.
    WorcesterHawks
    NET Practice Squad

• bjornanderson21 wrote:
    Steve2222 wrote:I wonder who is more excited about this pick? Russ or Percy.

The answer would be Russ.

This is the guy who will replace Harvin if/when he gets injured again.

lol Richardson and Percy are two totally different types of WRs.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• King Dog wrote:Image
    Lol. Just kidding. I don't know a thing about this guy.

LOL, post of the year.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• I think it is a great pick. How many times did RW extend plays last year and have to pull the ball down due to coverage. With the time that RW can buy, this guy will make a fantastic contributor.

I liken him to Doug Baldwin with speed. A guy that will be there for RW but also be able to finish. My cousin in CO sent me a text claiming that we are going to love this kid.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• HawkWow wrote:PC and JS will forget more today about football than I will learn in my lifetime, but I don't get this pick. Really thought we should have got some OL at 40. I like the extra 4th (and 7th) but Richardson is awful slight for the NFL. Harvin, Rice and 170 lb Richardson? Again, I am not professing to be all knowing, but ASJ would have (even) been smarter, IMO. Can't wait to be proven wrong on this one.

I'm with you on this one. I mean, I trust the pick although I was under the impression that PC wanted a larger WR to complement our smaller guys.

I just don't get the pick with Koaundijo or however you spell his name still on the board. A few things they could be thinking:

Bailey is the guy at RT and will be better than any 2nd round rookie still on the board.

Richardson isn't larger than the other guys on the roster, but he's much faster. This much speed on the other side of Harvin could be deadly. Also, although Harvin can run the deep stuff, his forte seems to be closer to the los. Richardson could stretch the defense and take the top off, while Harvin does damage underneath.

That kid from the CFL isn't fast, but he's big. Maybe that's the tall WR they want.

They can still go with a taller WR in the 4th round.

It's so tough to really figure out what our FO and coaching staff is thinking, but it seems to work so far. :th2thumbs:
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Nice pick! We need a deep threat with blazing speed. Richardson at 4.40 in the 40 fills that nicely!

Go Hawks! :)

:49ersmall:
    Go Seahawks!

Brutalbubba
    Brutalbubba
    NET Bench Warmer

• People, including me, bitched all year that we needed a receiver that can get separation downfield to help Russ. Well, we now have that guy.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• The catch at 2:20 is eerily similar to the one Percy made for us last year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=960BvWmzlhM#t=141

Good thing is that he is fast on the field, not just in underwear. Too many double catches or drops though; those small hands are worrisome.
    HunnyBadger
    NET Starter

• Not sure about this pick. Most scouting reports says he is average in terms of catching the ball, not something you want in a 2nd rd NFL pick. Also, he has pretty small hands......not a good trait to have either.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• I guarantee he will have 1500 yards and at least 12 tds... In my new madden franchise
    Kamcussion
    NET Starter

• I'm starting to like this pick a lot when i look at his highlights and image him in our Offense. Defenses HAVE to pay attention to his speed.

I know it was probably a reach, but the Hawks probably identified him as the perfect WR for what they need right now and so they made sure they got their guy rather than play games worrying about Draft Grades.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• Pandion Haliaetus wrote:In the locked thread, hawkfan68 wrote:

Percy Harvin is a tank.

What does speed do for you when your ass is on the ground from a hit at LOS? Nothing. Rams have the best DL in the NFL and they upgraded that. Moncrief was still on the board. There's size and speed. This is a nightmare pick for me but he's a Seahawk now and I'll support him as long as he on the team. Hope I'm wrong about him. Go Seahawks!!!
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkfan68 wrote:What does speed do for you when your ass is on the ground from a hit at LOS? Nothing. Rams have the best DL in the NFL and they upgraded that. Moncrief was still on the board. There's size and speed. This is a nightmare pick for me but he's a Seahawk now and I'll support him as long as he on the team. Hope I'm wrong about him. Go Seahawks!!!

Moncrief is still on the board. There may be a reason, and he may still be available, should we really want him. So are some big possession receivers.

Remember: we are just past the point where Russell Wilson was picked, and not yet to where we picked Sherman, Baldwin, Kearse, etc., etc...
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• I find the people who hate on the pick and then say "hope I'm wrong" to be funny.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:What does speed do for you when your ass is on the ground from a hit at LOS? Nothing. Rams have the best DL in the NFL and they upgraded that. Moncrief was still on the board. There's size and speed. This is a nightmare pick for me but he's a Seahawk now and I'll support him as long as he on the team. Hope I'm wrong about him. Go Seahawks!!!

Moncrief is still on the board. There may be a reason, and he may still be available, should we really want him. So are some big possession receivers.

Remember: we are just past the point where Russell Wilson was picked, and not yet to where we picked Sherman, Baldwin, Kearse, etc., etc...

Baldwin and Kearse were UDFA.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• My first thought with this pick- the interest Seattle put out there for Brandin Cooks was probably legit. Cooks and Richardson were the two mini-speedsters from this draft with good route running.

I think Richardson's game tape is very ordinary, but at least he has plenty of room on his frame to add weight and it makes sense that Seattle would target a vertical threat WR.

Seattle has made good use out of bland prospects before. Bobby Wagner's college game tape was so boring it would put you in a coma, but he's been a valuable player for Seattle. Luke Willson had boring college tape, but had a good rookie season. Kearse and Zach Miller are kind of boring, but they are clutch and they help the team in multiple ways.

Besides, many of the players we've been talking about are still on the board, and I'm guessing a few will still be there in the 4th and 5th rounds, where Seattle has four picks now. Maybe we still end up with a few favorites.
    Last edited by kearly on Fri May 09, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Blitzer88 wrote:Baldwin and Kearse were UDFA.

Exactly. They fell clear through the draft, and turned out fine.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Blitzer88 wrote:Not sure about this pick. Most scouting reports says he is average in terms of catching the ball, not something you want in a 2nd rd NFL pick. Also, he has pretty small hands......not a good trait to have either.

Hopefully he is pedestrian, too.
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• Wow! after watching some video on this guy he doesn't get separation, he gets a full fledged divorce! I think they have found a gem.
    The Great Hawktini
    NET Rookie

• Hawk Strap wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:Not sure about this pick. Most scouting reports says he is average in terms of catching the ball, not something you want in a 2nd rd NFL pick. Also, he has pretty small hands......not a good trait to have either.

Hopefully he is pedestrian, too.

lmao
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• The Great Hawktini wrote:Wow! after watching some video on this guy he doesn't get separation, he gets a full fledged divorce! I think they have found a gem.

Lol. Great pun!

You nailed it though. The dude has legit "tilt the field" potential, and our guys will always take the guy with the incredible talent over what we allegedly "need". I Like the pick. A scenario with Harvin, CMike and this guy all on the field at the same time is downright scary.
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Not only can the guy move, but he makes a ton of over the shoulder, fade type passes in stride and keeps his feet.

I just don't ever set expectations for the Hawks draft picks, these guys draft kids who end up playing and while this kid isn't a 6'4 guy, he is a 6'0 guy with pads-on speed that will make the perfect weapon on those plays where Wilson drops really deep and buys time.

Wilson can get this guy the ball and that is all that I care about.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• As someone mentioned earlier, he played high school ball at Serra with Robert Woods, Marqise Lee and George Farmer (and those four are truly an embarrassment of riches for a coach). His high school coach is quoted in this article from a few years ago as saying that of the four, Richardson was the most polished and had the best hands. Yes, that's HS ball, but when you factor that in with what he accomplished at Colorado on a bad team with horrible quarterback play, it's an indication that he could be a really good player.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_18907695

We have speed with Percy. Lockette is still developing and is a speed guy. Now we have another speed WR. That's a good combo with Doug, Kearse and whoever else makes the roster.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• He played in every game last year so his injury wasn't that bad apparently. He also lit up Oregon for 134 yards .
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• HansGruber wrote:

His top gear is RE-DICK-YOU-LUS...looks like a guy is gaining on him and then he's OUT!
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• His ankles are small and his pinkies are short. Terrible pick?
    HawkNuts
    NET Rookie

• "The Seahawks area about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed."

-Eleanor Roosevelt
    Kennedyin92
    NET Rookie

• Richardson gives me really strong Mike Wallace vibes. I think Richardson has better hands (although some drops, some amazing catches) and fights for the ball surprisingly well for his size.

Definitely not the pick I'd have made, but the fit is obvious. He will help take the top off the defense, take advantage of defenses that creep up on the run, and shows the ability to recognize and throttle down in zone.
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

• Watching tape he reminds me of Marvin Harrison, minus Marvin's elite hands. Quickness, down-field separation, awareness and route running seem to be Richardson's strengths. Same build type as Marvin too, albeit more explosive (Harrison ran 4.49 at his combine). If he has the work ethic... his "issues" improve, which include his slight size and drop tenancies, then boys and girls we have a game changer.

I think we needed a guy like Richardson. His speed will be something that defenses have to account for. No more single coverage outside, which now opens things up for everyone else. No, he probably wasn't who we are waiting for at #45 (I'm guessing Lee or maybe Matthews). And no, I don't think he starts week 1 necessarily. However, we may see him at PR and should at least see him in a few packages at WR and potentially more as next season progresses.

Welcome to the party, PRich :vodka:
    Last edited by seatownlowdown on Fri May 09, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
    seatownlowdown
    NET Practice Squad

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:34 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information