Pick #45, 2nd Round: WR Paul Richardson, Colorado

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • I have gone from hating the pick to, could be worse............Hopefully I'll move up a notch tomorrow.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Didn't know much about Richardson but the more I am finding the more I like. This video from NFL.com really made a big impact for me:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-player-interviews/0ap2000000348583/Paul-Richardson-I-ll-be-able-to-be-successful

1. He's up to 180 and plans to play at 190, and said he's gained speed from the added strength

2. He was actually rated ahead of guys like Marqise Lee and Devonte Adams by a few people so not as big a reach as some of you arm chair GM's are trying to make it out to be.

3. Damn this dude is crazy fast!

4. He seems to have a knack for making the catch in traffic, which is a good trait to have and something a lot of college WR's can never figure out in the NFL where there is less separation on every play and more contested catches.
    DJrmb
    NET Rookie

• Sorry if already posted but there are too many posts to read through. Per Richardson's Twitter post, he will officially wear #10. Let the DeSean Jackson comparisons continue...
    LAMike1
    * NET Sage *

• 400WattHPSHawk wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:Spot on, Salish. What gets me is looking at other teams drafting receivers and seeing them do well from day one. "Well so-and-so was an immediate impact and our guy got stuck on the PS." A lot of that may be the receiver's route running. Some may be the quarterback. With this combination, we have the best of both. It's entirely possible he's a stud from day one, and we have to make the tough decision whether to cut Rice or Lockette instead. It's a crap shoot, but I'll take this crap shoot over a lot of others out there right now.

We don't cut the Rocket. To valuable on special teams... and he can play.

Show yourselves Modulators who doo edit. Don't hide yourself.
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• kearly wrote:My first thought with this pick- the interest Seattle put out there for Brandin Cooks was probably legit. Cooks and Richardson were the two mini-speedsters from this draft with good route running.

I think Richardson's game tape is very ordinary, but at least he has plenty of room on his frame to add weight and it makes sense that Seattle would target a vertical threat WR.

Seattle has made good use out of bland prospects before. Bobby Wagner's college game tape was so boring it would put you in a coma, but he's been a valuable player for Seattle. Luke Willson had boring college tape, but had a good rookie season. Kearse and Zach Miller are kind of boring, but they are clutch and they help the team in multiple ways.

Besides, many of the players we've been talking about are still on the board, and I'm guessing a few will still be there in the 4th and 5th rounds, where Seattle has four picks now. Maybe we still end up with a few favorites.

Yeah but let's admit it, your list has some flaws, and half the guys you rated in the bottom half are drafted before guys you had in the middle. No scouts have UCLA WR Shaq Evans that high, he never showed he was that good in school.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• As much as I liked our "pedestrian" WR group last year they had problems in a few games getting separation and I think the Richardson pick is an attempt to address that. Put him and Harvick on the field at the same time and their speed will definitely put some stress on the defense which will have to account for them and should also help ADB, Kearse, or whoever else happens to be on the field. It will also help keep safeties from cheating up into the box which should free up some room for Beast Mode to operate.

I like this pick.
    TXHawk
    NET Rookie

• I don't like this pick, but that's nothing new. Except for PC/JS's first round picks in 2010, I haven't liked a single first out of the gate selection of ours since. James Carpenter, Bruce Irvin, Christine Michael, and now Paul Richardson.

He's not Tate's replacement. Tate was a very underrated blocker. I can't see this guy blocking on much larger defensive backs and linebackers. He had to bulk up just to get to 180 lbs. dripping wet. In a run first offense, that relegates him to a 3rd down receiver in a 3 or 4 wide out package, perhaps a punt or KO returner. He won't do anything else on special teams. Plus he's damaged goods and he has trouble making the easy catches. Oh, joy! Another Koren Robinson. He's not a top 50 player, and please, don't tell me that we got in just ahead of some other team that would have taken him. That's a very poor way of justifying a pick.

Lord, I can just imagine the Rams secondary licking their chops with this guy. Remember how they rang up Tate in our last regular season game? This guy is going to get killed.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• DJrmb wrote:1. He's up to 180 and plans to play at 190, and said he's gained speed from the added strength.

That's good that he noticed that; even in the NFL the recognize that stronger means faster and more explosive gets lost sometimes. I can't believe that some of the NFL S&C coaches are getting paid to do the programming for some of these players. Of course it's easy to still look good doing that job in a sub-optimal fashion if you have nothing but the best athletes as your trainees who would adapt to just about anything.

Get this kid in the squat rack and add a gallon of whole milk a day to his diet. He'll be beasting just in time for camps.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• So fitting he is going to wear #10 since he's basically DeSean Jackson sans the gang affiliation ;)
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Sounds like he will return some kickoffs and punts:

"I really enjoy returning. I did a lot at Colorado and I would love to get the opportunity to do it again"

Also, after seeing him in interviews, he seems pretty switched on. This pick is growing on me more and more.
    GO HAWKS
    MB12
    NET Starter

• DJrmb wrote:Didn't know much about Richardson but the more I am finding the more I like. This video from NFL.com really made a big impact for me:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-player-interviews/0ap2000000348583/Paul-Richardson-I-ll-be-able-to-be-successful

1. He's up to 180 and plans to play at 190, and said he's gained speed from the added strength

2. He was actually rated ahead of guys like Marqise Lee and Devonte Adams by a few people so not as big a reach as some of you arm chair GM's are trying to make it out to be.

3. Damn this dude is crazy fast!

4. He seems to have a knack for making the catch in traffic, which is a good trait to have and something a lot of college WR's can never figure out in the NFL where there is less separation on every play and more contested catches.

:13: :13: :13:
    GO HAWKS
    MB12
    NET Starter

• Well, maybe just maybe picking a tall WR was a ploy all along. I know we would love one, but do we really have great success finding one i.e Chris Harper, Kris Durham. Seems our smaller WR do well Tate and Baldwin.

I know speed kills. If I were a D coordinators and seeing Harvin and Richardson on the field, I would crap myself.
    "A superstar can win any game; however, a team can win every game".
    Renohawk
    NET Starter

• Tical21 wrote:I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this kid. I watched him play Cal in 2011 and became a huge fan. Dude is all sorts of electric. I was surprised he was so small, because he plays quite a bit bigger. Was really disappointed that he was so banged up for the UW game. Could barely walk and still lit us up for a deep TD. This guy was Colorado's entire offense. The whole defense knew where he was on every play and he still put up big numbers. I disagree that his tape seems rather ordinary. I watch that tape and see lightning quick. What are you hoping to see that he didn't do? Early in the season I was watching him and thinking "I don't know if people know him, but that guy is going to be a playmaker at the next level." I didn't think he had the cache to be taken ahead of some of the others, Robinson in particular, but it doesn't surprise me in the least bit that somebody saw something special in him.

Man, I'm glad someone with respectable FB knowledge sees what I'm seeing. His quickness and route running jumped off the screen at me. I am super excited about this kid. Not sure how the 'can't make the easy catches' made it into any of his evaluations. What are they talking about?...all three (3) of his drops out of 184?! I'm thinking that a few of the more knowledgeable guys in this forum may have budgeted their time when looking at his vids. There's one youtube one him in particular called "Best highlights," or something to that effect, that really shows some eye-popping catches and moves. There was another vid I watched that didn't include many of his better plays, which did look a bit 'ordinary.'

The only negative is that he's playing in a very physical, run first offense that demands blocking from our WR's. Hopefully he'll surprise us in that regard, because I don't want to see his snaps limited to 3rd and long. Percy blocks surprisingly well for his size, so maybe this guy will follow suit. I did see a couple of semi-beastly stiff arms in one of the vids. :th2thumbs:
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• A lot of people here were clamoring for Marqise Lee. Richardson is the same height but much faster. Lee also has injury concerns.
    Richardson seems like a good kid from the video. His ability to stretch the field, get separation, and make a big play is something we missed once Sydney Rice went down last year. I like the pick.
    salamander
    NET Rookie

• Watching Richardson highlights and the one thing I noticed is he watches the ball go into his hands better than I've seen most receivers.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• salamander wrote:A lot of people here were clamoring for Marqise Lee. Richardson is the same height but much faster. Lee also has injury concerns.
    Richardson seems like a good kid from the video. His ability to stretch the field, get separation, and make a big play is something we missed once Sydney Rice went down last year. I like the pick.

And Richardson doesn't?
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• RiverDog wrote:
    salamander wrote:A lot of people here were clamoring for Marqise Lee. Richardson is the same height but much faster. Lee also has injury concerns.

And Richardson doesn't?

Sorry, I meant it as "Like Richardson, Lee also has injury concerns". The point being Lee's injury concerns didn't stop people here from wanting him.
    salamander
    NET Rookie

• salamander wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:
    salamander wrote:A lot of people here were clamoring for Marqise Lee. Richardson is the same height but much faster. Lee also has injury concerns.

And Richardson doesn't?

Sorry, I meant it as "Like Richardson, Lee also has injury concerns". The point being Lee's injury concerns didn't stop people here from wanting him.

Don't waste your time arguing with him. He would have hated any pick.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Everyone keeps saying Desean Jackson, but from the highlights and route running, he reminds me of Marvin Harrison.
    Wazzu Sucks, Oregon Swallows!!!!
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran

• He looks like a faster Doug Baldwin. I like it.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• The one-handed catch at about 1:18 of Sailor's first vid is sick.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

• RiverDog wrote:I don't like this pick, but that's nothing new. Except for PC/JS's first round picks in 2010, I haven't liked a single first out of the gate selection of ours since. James Carpenter, Bruce Irvin, Christine Michael, and now Paul Richardson.

He's not Tate's replacement. Tate was a very underrated blocker. I can't see this guy blocking on much larger defensive backs and linebackers. He had to bulk up just to get to 180 lbs. dripping wet. In a run first offense, that relegates him to a 3rd down receiver in a 3 or 4 wide out package, perhaps a punt or KO returner. He won't do anything else on special teams. Plus he's damaged goods and he has trouble making the easy catches. Oh, joy! Another Koren Robinson. He's not a top 50 player, and please, don't tell me that we got in just ahead of some other team that would have taken him. That's a very poor way of justifying a pick.

Lord, I can just imagine the Rams secondary licking their chops with this guy. Remember how they rang up Tate in our last regular season game? This guy is going to get killed.

February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• ludakrishna wrote:Everyone keeps saying Desean Jackson, but from the highlights and route running, he reminds me of Marvin Harrison.

One of our scouts made this comparison as well, though it was more about how Harrison came in the league "undersized" and was able to bulk up and be successful.
    Kam Chancellor: The Chancellor of Defense
    Bruce Irvin: BruceMode
    Tharold Simon: Humble Thug
    Paul Richardson: BPR
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

• 400WattHPSHawk wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:Spot on, Salish. What gets me is looking at other teams drafting receivers and seeing them do well from day one. "Well so-and-so was an immediate impact and our guy got stuck on the PS." A lot of that may be the receiver's route running. Some may be the quarterback. With this combination, we have the best of both. It's entirely possible he's a stud from day one, and we have to make the tough decision whether to cut Rice or Lockette instead. It's a crap shoot, but I'll take this crap shoot over a lot of others out there right now.

We don't cut the Rocket. To valuable on special teams... and he can play.

You may have missed my point. If what we see in Richardson is the real deal, he could turn out to be one of our top receivers. And if that happens, the #4/#5/#6 guys start being talked about as potential cuts or trades, no matter how good they are. Sure, special teams contributions from Lockette have been top notch, but there are always backup guys looking to excel there. And an upgrade is an upgrade.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• HoustonHawk82 wrote:The one-handed catch at about 1:18 of Sailor's first vid is sick.

:shock: yeah thats a sick catch, hope to see some of this next year
    Killa Kam
    NET Veteran

• I absolutely love this pick. I had him right behind Matthews among WRs available going into round 2. Happy with either.
    MrNorseman
    NET Bench Warmer

• Does anyone think we would have drafted differently if Curtis K, (ALA OT) or Jordan Matthew (VAN WR) had not come off the board a few picks earlier?

I saw the Seattle War room right after this pick and nobody looked very excited. They looked defeated actually.

I'm not saying he won't be a great player, but I have a feeling he wasn't the guy we wanted when we made the trade out of 32.
    aawolf
    NET Starter

• aawolf wrote:Does anyone think we would have drafted differently if Curtis K, (ALA OT) or Jordan Matthew (VAN WR) had not come off the board a few picks earlier?

I saw the Seattle War room right after this pick and nobody looked very excited. They looked defeated actually.

I'm not saying he won't be a great player, but I have a feeling he wasn't the guy we wanted when we made the trade out of 32.

IDK. I think fans sometimes get carried away with psych evals of coaches/GMs. ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• aawolf wrote: I have a feeling he wasn't the guy we wanted when we made the trade out of 32.

JS said BPR was the name on the card if they didn't get a trade. They were happy to trade down and still get him. Rumor has it Easley was the choice at 32 but Pats took him at 29, so P-rich was the next man up.
    Last edited by dontbelikethat on Sat May 10, 2014 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• Backpack Rich (thank you Throw and company).....a star is born.
    Kam Chancellor: The Chancellor of Defense
    Bruce Irvin: BruceMode
    Tharold Simon: Humble Thug
    Paul Richardson: BPR
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

• He claimed, in an NFL Network interview, to be timed electronically at 4.28... is that humanly possible?
    Yesterday I read a lot of negative stuff about him that seems to be contradicted by reports today.
    I revise my 1st round grade to be an A-.
    To be continued.
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    "Check your PMs"
    Pithy Radish.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

• Chris johnson ran faster so why are you confused by it being humanly possible?
    titan3131
    NET Rookie

• I like Mike Wallace as a comp. Pete loves the whole trickle down WR effect. Just like how Harvin stretches the field horizontally, PRich will stretch it vertically. Middle of the field is going to be wide open for Baldwin, Willson, Harvin... This is gonna be fun. Love the pick. He could end up being a star.
    Follow me on Twitter: @realchrisbrown5
    Backpack Rich
    ChrisB Bacon
    NET Veteran

• More weapons on offense for sure which is good to know. To me he looks like he has the potential to be a star. Good to know if Percy gets injured somehow next year he could be the guy to step it up.
    Decimation
    NET Veteran

• Chukarhawk wrote:yeah, where is my 6'4 jump ball guy that we needed when we were struggling in the red zone last year?

Sidney rice
    Kaiser
    NET Starter

• Well if you just look at the measurable's alone he's very similar to OBJ and Marqise Lee , Lee at 6ft and OBJ Is 5'11 . He ran faster than both at the combine 4.40 to OBJ 's 4.43 and his other numbers are as good or better as well. This really isn't much of a reach when you break it down on paper. You have to give them credit for having the balls to take him he's not without risk, but he is a potential home run if he can stay on the field.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• -The Glove- wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:High school track times:

-Percy Harvin 100 meter 10.43, 200 meter 21.19
    -Paul Richardson 100 meter 10.62, 200 meter 21.0

It shows on the tape. His top end is FAST. Players do hang with him at first though

I've been watching all the highlights I can of this guy. Granted, they're highlights for a reason, but from what I've seen:

As for the quote above, guys hang with him at first if they get a hand on him. He can be slowed down by a physical guy, but unless he's getting held, he ends up blowing by his guy. If he's allowed a clean release, he's gone.

He makes contested catches. I've seen quite a few catches where he has guys all over him. It seems like he doesn't like to get grabbed at the LOS, but once in the route he's ok with getting bumped, pushed and grabbed while trying to make the catch.

He runs through tackles when he can. There's a surprising amount of broken tackles from a guy who weights 161 lbs. It shows he's not afraid of contact. He eludes even more tackles. If he weighs 180 he's going to break more. We're not going to mistake him for Tate, but he's already smoother than Tate is now in his routes.

Regardless of highlights, he's not getting all his catches on post routes. I saw some screens, slants and some out routes. If Harvin does get hurt, we can see Richardson take his place in screens and such.

His acceleration at the top end is amazing. It really does remind me of Desean Jackson; he's at the top of a route and then creates even more separation. It's just so smooth and effortless looking.

The biggest concerns I have for him are:

Blocking. How well will he do ? As long as he's willing and doesn't hold, he just needs to get in the way on the edge. Baldwin and Kearse both mostly get in the way when the block. Tate is the only WR I've seen for us that decleats people.

How will he handle bump and run ? Most of the defenses in our division employ this quite a bit, and from his college tape, he doesn't like to be manhandled at the LOS and doesn't release well from it. I'm sure he'll get better at it going against our defense in a daily basis. I'm excited to see this kid play.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Gonna really laugh if anyone calls this a "reach" now. People here were clamoring for Seattle to take Brandon Coleman as high as #32, and he's about to go undrafted. Can't base your judgments on where you think guys are going to go.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• HansGruber wrote:I think the Seahawks should fire Carroll and Schneider and hire the naysayers on this forum to make our draft picks.

They obviously know WAY more about football, and how to build a successful Seahawks team, than Schneider and Carroll.

Hell to the YEAH!!, I hardly ever heard our draft picks names mentioned by our NET experts....We needed to draft all the players with names that were bouncing around for months, and months around here. :34853_tinfoil:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• P-Rich ftw
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Rocket wrote:He claimed, in an NFL Network interview, to be timed electronically at 4.28... is that humanly possible?
    Yesterday I read a lot of negative stuff about him that seems to be contradicted by reports today.
    To be continued.

Darrell Green was timed at 4.24. So there have been faster NFL players, but Green was the fastest I've ever seen and this Richardson kid is just a fraction slower. Let's put it this way: He's faster than Galloway was.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:Gonna really laugh if anyone calls this a "reach" now. People here were clamoring for Seattle to take Brandon Coleman as high as #32, and he's about to go undrafted. Can't base your judgments on where you think guys are going to go.

I don't think anyone is saying he's a reach . The question is did we get the best WR at that point and you had Latimer. Lee, Robinson, Adams all still on the board so lets not pretend like there weren't other good prospects there.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• General Manager wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:Gonna really laugh if anyone calls this a "reach" now. People here were clamoring for Seattle to take Brandon Coleman as high as #32, and he's about to go undrafted. Can't base your judgments on where you think guys are going to go.

I don't think anyone is saying he's a reach . The question is did we get the best WR at that point and you had Latimer. Lee, Robinson, Adams all still on the board so lets not pretend like there weren't other good prospects there.

Plenty of folks said he was a reach. He was drafted #45, of course there were good prospects left. You could literally make the same statement regardless of who was drafted there.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:
    General Manager wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:Gonna really laugh if anyone calls this a "reach" now. People here were clamoring for Seattle to take Brandon Coleman as high as #32, and he's about to go undrafted. Can't base your judgments on where you think guys are going to go.

Plenty of folks said he was a reach. He was drafted #45, of course there were good prospects left. You could literally make the same statement regardless of who was drafted there.

Yes. You definitely could. But it wasn't the guy I wanted! /sarcasm
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• SalishHawkFan wrote:
    Rocket wrote:He claimed, in an NFL Network interview, to be timed electronically at 4.28... is that humanly possible?
    To be continued.

Darrell Green was timed at 4.24. So there have been faster NFL players, but Green was the fastest I've ever seen and this Richardson kid is just a fraction slower. Let's put it this way: He's faster than Galloway was.

Galloway ran a 4.18 40.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/fastest-4 ... l-history/
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• DavidSeven wrote:
    General Manager wrote:

Who said he was a reach I haven't read many people on this board saying that if any.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• General Manager wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:
    General Manager wrote:

Who said he was a reach I haven't read many people on this board saying that if any.

Eh, not interested in naming names or digging through multiple threads.

Here's one with name omitted just for you:

I have a hard time believing this guy wouldn't be available in the 3rd or 4th round. Certainly at their next second round pick. I really wish they had picked a guy with some size instead of this guy. And now Latimer goes to Denver. That hurts.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• SeatownJay wrote:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:
    Rocket wrote:He claimed, in an NFL Network interview, to be timed electronically at 4.28... is that humanly possible?
    To be continued.

Galloway ran a 4.18 40.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/fastest-4 ... l-history/

Hand timed on that fast track. Electronic timed is all I will give credit too.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• 400WattHPSHawk wrote:We don't cut the Rocket. To valuable on special teams... and he can play.

HEY... the Rocket's been cut before, it wasn't any friggin' fun and he had to lose his house to get re-signed.
    So don't say that.
    Angry Doug
    Earl Thomas.
    "Check your PMs"
    Pithy Radish.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

• SalishHawkFan wrote:
    To be continued.

It wasn't meant literally, it was a form of a superlative.
    Joey was a freak, as was Randy... Moss was around 4.2 also, right.
    I hope the 190 bulk-up works, otherwise he reminds me of Slim Jennings, which scares me.
    Angry Doug
    Earl Thomas.
    "Check your PMs"
    Pithy Radish.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]