Pick #45, 2nd Round: WR Paul Richardson, Colorado

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • Wanted Robinson from Penn state but im a Penn state homer. Robinson is a Boldin clone and is a playmaker. However I am a sucker for speed. Im just glad they are addressing some of our needs.
    The office of Thomas and Chancellor specializing in Defense.
    thegreeninyoureye
    NET Starter

• We keep talking about the drops, but on the other hand, we say he's played with horrible quarterback play all college, and has done exceptional in spite of it. I wonder how many of those drops were really bad throws that he just couldn't snag. He seemed pretty adept at snagging wild throws in the highlights reels.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• The more I hear about this guy the more I like the pick! I have gone from "huh?" to being ecstatic.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• You don't fill immediate holes at WR in the draft.

It very rarely happens, so it is pointless to talk about.

It won't matter how great or poor his game tape looks, WRs are a bad investment as a high draft pick because they don't contribute for, on average, 1-2 years.

So this is hopefully a KR/PR position fill.

Given that, it probably doesn't matter who we drafted at WR - it just likely means that the 2nd round pick won't matter much for the next year to year and half. I suppose you could throw Kearse at me if you wanted, as an example of a WR that produced fairly early but the average WR takes several years to start producing so I wouldn't get excited.

Maybe I am steamed that the 49ers look to have vaulted past us given they filled holes in the secondary (one weakness) and then got one of the better FA WRs in the NFL adding to their weapons. I would have preferred we traded this 2nd for him but what is done is done.

Either way, even if JS again made a genius move and plucked a diamond in the rough - this guy still isn't going to contribute much this year if at all because WRs don't (in general) start to come on until year 2 or after.

So this was a pick that didn't hurt us but won't help us and we needed the help. Then again, we did already win the SB so I cannot complain much. But this won't make it easier to get back there this year, this is more an investment in the future if he pans out (hopefully).
    Last edited by TwistedHusky on Fri May 09, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:The more I hear about this guy the more I like the pick! I have gone from "huh?" to being ecstatic.

That seems to be the hallmark of most PC/JS draft picks.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Speed, Speed, Speed ... wow ...
    Now we need to give RW time to throw the rock to these speedsters
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

• This kid looks like a stud! As much as I hated seeing Tate go, from the videos I've seen he seems like a good replacement. Good luck defenses!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Bench Warmer

• TwistedHusky wrote:You don't fill immediate holes at WR in the draft.

It won't matter how great or poor his game tape looks, WRs are a bad investment as a high draft pick because they don't contribute for, on average, 1-2 years.

Given that, it probably doesn't matter who we drafted at WR - it just likely means that the 2nd round pick won't matter much for the next year to year and half. I suppose you could throw Kearse at me if you wanted, as an example of a WR that produced fairly early but the average WR takes several years to start producing so I wouldn't get excited.

Maybe I am steamed that the 49ers look to have vaulted past us given they filled holes in the secondary (one weakness) and then got one of the better FA WRs in the NFL adding to their weapons. I would have preferred we traded this 2nd for him but what is done is done.

Either way, even if JS again made a genius move and plucked a diamond in the rough - this guy still isn't going to contribute much this year if at all because WRs don't (in general) start to come on until year 2 or after.

So this was a pick that didn't hurt us but won't help us and we needed the help.

first of all, eff the 9ers. we knew the ammunition they had going into this draft. no need to talk about them.

and i understand how u and some of the other .netters feel about some of these decisions. but u have to look deeper than just surface level, which is what kiper/mcshay etc usually dont do. they still havent figured out how the hawks do things, have they? these guys give britt a 5th round grade, but do they know if someone was in line to take him if we didnt at #64? do they know what we are looking for in lineman? who cares.

u cant worry about what talking heads are saying or what other teams are doing. we have our own program here. i didnt enjoy the hawks trading down. but guess what, they got 2 extra 4ths doing so. and realizing what we've built this team with (mid-late round draft picks and unique talents), i have to say the draft so far fits right into what JS and PC are/have been doing for years now.

as far as recievers taking 2+ years to develop... not necessarily. depends on the players and the program. so far we have done well with recievers that have bought in to the program. when mike williams was committed to keeping slim, he even did well here. adb and kearse have even shown what udfa's can do, which is create an immediate impact for this team.

despite winning 1 superb owl, pc and js are still building this thing. patience bros, patience.
    Last edited by seatownlowdown on Fri May 09, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    seatownlowdown
    NET Bench Warmer

• They keep drafting for speed at WR there going to hit on one at some point hopefully it's Richardson. He has that game breaking speed that a defense has to account for.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:Maybe I am steamed that the 49ers look to have vaulted past us given they filled holes in the secondary (one weakness) and then got one of the better FA WRs in the NFL adding to their weapons.

Don't worry about it. The digits have a poor history recently of getting their new guys on the field.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• After reading all of the negative comments on how terrible the first two picks were, I realize there is no hope at all.
    I suggest we just disband the team and sell the stadium for a housing development, it's the only we will be able to make these keyboard experts happy..
    Donn2390
    NET Rookie

• They must liken him to Desean too. They gave him #10.
    UGotHawked
    NET Rookie

• Snohomie wrote:Richardson gives me really strong Mike Wallace vibes.

Good comp. Will be an even better comp after Richardson puts some weight on. Given Seattle's insistence on quality run blocking and need for WR durability, significant weight gain is a guarantee for Richardson. (According to Richardson himself, the guy played at 161 pounds last season. Wow.)

I've always thought Wilson was basically bizarro Big Ben, very different and yet so similar. Bevell's reliance on the big play is a lot like what Arians did with Big Ben and Mike Wallace a few years ago, so in that sense going for a guy like Richardson makes a lot of sense.

I like the Wallace comp because Wallace is a wonderful WR if you pass deep all the time. On deep throws he is one of the very best in the business, but seems pedestrian in pretty much any other situation. Watching Richardson I see a guy that is a pain to defend deep but is otherwise fairly ordinary. The physique and appearance similarities are pretty striking, both guys even share similar arm tatoos.
    Last edited by kearly on Fri May 09, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• His shoe laces are a 1/4 inch too short and his mom makes bad chicken soup. Terrible choice.
    HawkNuts
    NET Rookie

• His reel looks a lot better than Jordan Matthews and Allen Robinson's IMO. I didn't pay much attention to Richardson since he wasn't a "name," but I really wasn't sold on those other guys. They looked ordinary to me. Matthews, in particular, looked like he was benefiting hugely from gimmicky volume offense designed to get him open looks (probably a good fit for Chip Kelly, but not as much for anyone else). Richardson appears to have had similar production to Matthews while catching deeply thrown ducks. I did like Davante Adams, who Green Bay took at #53.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• No matter what you think of the pick, you gotta admit, Pete and John nailed it in terms of when they felt they could pick him. They wanted him at #32, and successfully traded down TWICE, nabbing an extra pair of picks, before getting the same guy they would have taken in the 1st round. That's some brash talent, there!

Aaron Levine ‏@AaronQ13Fox 37m
    John Schneider says Paul Richardson was the name they had ready to take last night before trading down. #q13fox #Seahawks

Also, we kind of know this already, but I think it's important to note:

Terry Blount ‏@TerryBlountESPN 35m
    Schneider on Richardson: "He really just carried their offense [at Colorado]."
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• I would imagine that with proper NFL level nutrition and weight training to add bulk without losing speed, Richardson will have all the tools to be an excellent weapon. You cannot teach speed or the innate ability to be elusive, which he appears to have in spades.

As always, it comes down to the individual player being willing to put in the commitment to be the best. I for one think this was an excellent pick, and look forward to seeing what the kid can do.
    3Rivershawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• Got his number already
    Attachments
    image.jpg
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• TwistedHusky wrote:You don't fill immediate holes at WR in the draft.

So this was a pick that didn't hurt us but won't help us and we needed the help. Then again, we did already win the SB so I cannot complain much. But this won't make it easier to get back there this year, this is more an investment in the future if he pans out (hopefully).

Always the voice of reason
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• Don't like it. This will be a prove it pick for me.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Tech Worlds wrote:Don't like it. This will be a prove it pick for me.

Really, aren't all of them, Dom?
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Throwdown wrote:Got his number already

I am young, 25 years old, and never really saw Jim Zorn play, but should anyone be allowed to wear his number again?
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:Also, we kind of know this already, but I think it's important to note:

Terry Blount ‏@TerryBlountESPN 35m
    Schneider on Richardson: "He really just carried their offense [at Colorado]."

He was basically the college version of Josh Gordon last season. No team around him, no QB, sole focus of every defense he faced ...puts up insane production anyway.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

You and me both.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Perfectly reasonable given the players they passed on and who they selected.
    Last edited by General Manager on Fri May 09, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• Blitzer88 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Got his number already

I am young, 25 years old, and never really saw Jim Zorn play, but should anyone be allowed to wear his number again?

I'm 26, and I'm pretty sure they let a KICKER and TO wear it.

its not one of the sacred numbers lol.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:

Brady Quinn wore it last year as well.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• Gentlemen...Meet your 2014-15 KO and Punt returner.

I know, I know. Before someone says, But, uhhhhhh we got Percy to return KO's! I understand that. I just see the FO wanting to protect that investment (Percy) of course. Millions of reasons why.

I also believe PR will see a lot of offensive plays this year too, ala Luke Willson last year.
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:Don't like it. This will be a prove it pick for me.

Really, aren't all of them, Dom?

Some more than others.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• High school track times:

-Percy Harvin 100 meter 10.43, 200 meter 21.19
    -Paul Richardson 100 meter 10.62, 200 meter 21.0
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• I'll admit I hadn't heard of this kid before the pick, but I trust JS and PC. I heard his press conference tonight, it sounds like he's been training to return punts, and been gaining weight , up to 183 lbs now. He says that extra weight hadn't slowed him down from a 4.28 40 because he's stronger now.

Anyway, excited to see #10 and #11 tearing it up this year!
    Last edited by etanate on Fri May 09, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2014 Adopt a Rookie: Kevin Norwood
    etanate
    NET Bench Warmer

• DavidSeven wrote:High school track times:

It shows on the tape. His top end is FAST
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• Throwdown wrote:Got his number already

I'm going to be wearing that jersey next year. :2:
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• -The Glove- wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:High school track times:

It shows on the tape. His top end is FAST. Players do hang with him at first though
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• Throwdown wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:

Crap I forgot about Olindo Mare wearing it lol. Nevermind.............. :34853_doh:
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• :vodka:
    Last edited by MizzouHawkGal on Fri May 09, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• -The Glove- wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:High school track times:

It shows on the tape. His top end is FAST. Players do hang with him at first though

Sweet Mary and Jesus is that for real? If so I can deal with the height. He's a Mike Wallace. With a Russell Wilson? Seriously?
    Last edited by MizzouHawkGal on Fri May 09, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote:My first thought with this pick- the interest Seattle put out there for Brandin Cooks was probably legit. Cooks and Richardson were the two mini-speedsters from this draft with good route running.

I think Richardson's game tape is very ordinary, but at least he has plenty of room on his frame to add weight and it makes sense that Seattle would target a vertical threat WR.

Seattle has made good use out of bland prospects before. Bobby Wagner's college game tape was so boring it would put you in a coma, but he's been a valuable player for Seattle. Luke Willson had boring college tape, but had a good rookie season. Kearse and Zach Miller are kind of boring, but they are clutch and they help the team in multiple ways.

Besides, many of the players we've been talking about are still on the board, and I'm guessing a few will still be there in the 4th and 5th rounds, where Seattle has five picks now. Maybe we still end up with a few favorites.

Well said. The wringing of hands over "favorite" players passed over in the draft always reminds me of the 2005 draft, when one of the "favorites" on this board for the 2nd round pick was one Daryl Blackstock (later of UFL Virginia Destroyers fame) whom the Seahawks passed over when they reached for Lofa Tatupu and then missed out on in the third round when they had to settle for a bum named Leroy Hill.
    Boiler
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Russell Wilson throws a sexy deep ball. Paul Richardson outruns almost everybody on the field.
    Sounds like fun. :snack:
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• Regarding those dropsies:

Danny Kelly ‏@FieldGulls 14m
    John Schneider said that when they turned their card in last night it was Paul Richardson - instead they took him after trading back 2x

Said Richardson had 184 targets and only three drops. "He's too rare for us to pass up"

Danny Kelly ‏@FieldGulls 12m
    John Schneider notes that Paul Richardson's average scoring play was 40.5 yards

As m' boy Bill once said, "Tis much ado about nothing."
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:Regarding those dropsies:

John Schneider said that when they turned their card in last night it was Paul Richardson - instead they took him after trading back 2x

Said Richardson had 184 targets and only three drops. "He's too rare for us to pass up"

Danny Kelly ‏@FieldGulls 12m
    John Schneider notes that Paul Richardson's average scoring play was 40.5 yards

As m' boy Bill once said, "Tis much ado about nothing."

3 drops? What's all this hand-wringing about small, unreliable hands?
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• -The Glove- wrote:3 drops? What's all this hand-wringing about small, unreliable hands?

Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• What? I thought we were supposed to pick a tall receiver?
    raisethe3
    NET Practice Squad

• kearly wrote:
    Snohomie wrote:Richardson gives me really strong Mike Wallace vibes.

Good comp. Will be an even better comp after Richardson puts some weight on. Given Seattle's insistence on quality run blocking and need for WR durability, significant weight gain is a guarantee for Richardson. (According to Richardson himself, the guy played at 161 pounds last season. Wow.)

I've always thought Wilson was basically bizarro Big Ben, very different and yet so similar. Bevell's reliance on the big play is a lot like what Arians did with Big Ben and Mike Wallace a few years ago, so in that sense going for a guy like Richardson makes a lot of sense.

I like the Wallace comp because Wallace is a wonderful WR if you pass deep all the time. On deep throws he is one of the very best in the business, but seems pedestrian in pretty much any other situation. Watching Richardson I see a guy that is a pain to defend deep but is otherwise fairly ordinary. The physique and appearance similarities are pretty striking, both guys even share similar arm tatoos.

Richardson is very smooth and fluid getting separation on go routes. He understands horizontal separation is just as valuable as vertical separation. Plus I hear he's an excellent route runner. This is good because what takes rookie WR's 2-3 years to get NFL ready is learning the route tree. That's what made Baldwin an instant splash. He was a good route runner. That's why Tate took until his third year to break out, he was an awful route runner. Richardson should make an impact sooner, not later.

I really, really like this pick. If he busts, he busts, but if he doesn't bust, he's going to be huge. I liken him to DeSean Jackson. Paired with Percy, man this team will be fast!
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• Spot on, Salish. What gets me is looking at other teams drafting receivers and seeing them do well from day one. "Well so-and-so was an immediate impact and our guy got stuck on the PS." A lot of that may be the receiver's route running. Some may be the quarterback. With this combination, we have the best of both. It's entirely possible he's a stud from day one, and we have to make the tough decision whether to cut Rice or Lockette instead. It's a crap shoot, but I'll take this crap shoot over a lot of others out there right now.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this kid. I watched him play Cal in 2011 and became a huge fan. Dude is all sorts of electric. I was surprised he was so small, because he plays quite a bit bigger. Was really disappointed that he was so banged up for the UW game. Could barely walk and still lit us up for a deep TD. This guy was Colorado's entire offense. The whole defense knew where he was on every play and he still put up big numbers. I disagree that his tape seems rather ordinary. I watch that tape and see lightning quick. What are you hoping to see that he didn't do? Early in the season I was watching him and thinking "I don't know if people know him, but that guy is going to be a playmaker at the next level." I didn't think he had the cache to be taken ahead of some of the others, Robinson in particular, but it doesn't surprise me in the least bit that somebody saw something special in him.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• You can tell Richardson was one of the guys they really wanted. Those 'special abilities' made Pete's eyes light up. I'm really looking forward to him beating defenses deep.
    Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body.

Jack Dempsey
    Fuzzman55
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this kid. I watched him play Cal in 2011 and became a huge fan. Dude is all sorts of electric. I was surprised he was so small, because he plays quite a bit bigger. Was really disappointed that he was so banged up for the UW game. Could barely walk and still lit us up for a deep TD. This guy was Colorado's entire offense. The whole defense knew where he was on every play and he still put up big numbers. I disagree that his tape seems rather ordinary. I watch that tape and see lightning quick. What are you hoping to see that he didn't do? Early in the season I was watching him and thinking "I don't know if people know him, but that guy is going to be a playmaker at the next level." I didn't think he had the cache to be taken ahead of some of the others, Robinson in particular, but it doesn't surprise me in the least bit that somebody saw something special in him.

There's nothing ordinary about the guy...he flashes off the screen and makes DB's look like c-team track runners. For a quick second it looks like someone might catch him but he kicks it into another gear and is gonw
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:Spot on, Salish. What gets me is looking at other teams drafting receivers and seeing them do well from day one. "Well so-and-so was an immediate impact and our guy got stuck on the PS." A lot of that may be the receiver's route running. Some may be the quarterback. With this combination, we have the best of both. It's entirely possible he's a stud from day one, and we have to make the tough decision whether to cut Rice or Lockette instead. It's a crap shoot, but I'll take this crap shoot over a lot of others out there right now.

We don't cut the Rocket. To valuable on special teams... and he can play.
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• razgriz737 wrote:The more I hear about this guy the more I like the pick! I have gone from "huh?" to being ecstatic.

Same exact feeling. The more I hear, the more I'm loving this pick.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:42 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information