Pick #45, 2nd Round: WR Paul Richardson, Colorado

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • I think this is a great pick. Blazing fast, runs good routes, great hands (3 drops?), plays bigger than his size, makes the catch in traffic, produced with two average (let's face it, bad) QBs throwing his way on a team that had no other REAL offensive threats. When he put it into high gear, no one covering could keep up with him.

The kid is well spoken, was a captain and has a great work ethic from what I've read of him. Crazy to think one year ago he was rehabbing from an ACL tear and now he is getting electronically timed at 4.28. If the 4.28 time was posted under an official setting, it would be tied for the 4th fastest 40 time since 2000 (when laser/electronic timing was implemented).

BPR needs to add some weight to his frame, obviously, but he has the potential to be a stud. Combine him with Percy, ADB, Kearse and Rice and we've got a hell of a WR corps - all with very good and diverse skill sets.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• This guy is really fast and his route running is quite impressive.
    strohmin
    NET Starter

• This is a comment from SI in their grade of the Hawks draft:
    "However, getting Colorado speed receiver Paul Richardson, also in the second round, could be a major steal."
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• I love the crying over his height/small hands... and it seems some of these people are the same ones that cry about Golden Tate.

Tate:
    5'10
    35 in Vert
    30.5 in Arms
    9 1/4 in Hands

Richardson:
    6'0
    38 in Vert
    32.5 in Arms
    8 7/8 in Hands

The pessimists on this site will now known as The Jim Harbaugh Club For Cry-Babies
    If I seem too passionate, it’s because I care. And if I come on too strong, it’s because I feel strongly. And if I push too hard, it’s because things aren’t moving fast enough. This is my home, you are my family, and I promise you, I’m not going anywhere.” - L.K.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

• WorcesterHawks wrote:Just to expand on my rapidly merging opinions on this pick...

Like: Team captain, SPEED, separation, fuidity

Concerns: Slight build, doesn't return punts, small hands, injury history

Key point: His separation is a strength and is something our WRs tend to lack, this should be a boon for us in deep and intermediate passes. HOWEVER many of our passes seem to be intended for WR to contest them and come down with them, leaning less on separation and more on fighting for the ball. Whether this was due to playing to our WRs strengths or a settled gameplan remains to be seen, but it could have a real impact on how well Richardson plays for us, particularly as a rookie.

That's a really good analysis, but I'll add a few of my own:

Strength: Supposedly a savvy route runner, and with his speed and explosiveness, that could make for a deadly combination..

Weakness: Given his slight build, he's probably not a devastating blocker, something that could limit his PT in a run first offense like ours.

Strength: Rebounded well from his knee injury.

Weakness: The injury occurred in non contact drills, and he was out for an entire season. The prior season, he missed 4 games due to injuries.

Strength: Can make spectacular, highlight reel catches.

Weakness: Struggles at time with the easy catches.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• RiverDog wrote:
    WorcesterHawks wrote:Just to expand on my rapidly merging opinions on this pick...

Like: Team captain, SPEED, separation, fuidity

Concerns: Slight build, doesn't return punts, small hands, injury history

Key point: His separation is a strength and is something our WRs tend to lack, this should be a boon for us in deep and intermediate passes. HOWEVER many of our passes seem to be intended for WR to contest them and come down with them, leaning less on separation and more on fighting for the ball. Whether this was due to playing to our WRs strengths or a settled gameplan remains to be seen, but it could have a real impact on how well Richardson plays for us, particularly as a rookie.

That's a really good analysis, but I'll add a few of my own:

Strength: Supposedly a savvy route runner, and with his speed and explosiveness, that could make for a deadly combination..

Weakness: Given his slight build, he's probably not a devastating blocker, something that could limit his PT in a run first offense like ours.

Strength: Rebounded well from his knee injury.

Weakness: The injury occurred in non contact drills, and he was out for an entire season. The prior season, he missed 4 games due to injuries.

Strength: Can make spectacular, highlight reel catches.

Weakness: Struggles at time with the easy catches.

still don't get this one. straight off his pre-draft analysis.

3 drops
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• I can't wait to see this kid in action on the field!
    Galen96
    NET Veteran

• Smellyman wrote:still don't get this one. straight off his pre-draft analysis.

3 drops

That is weird to me, don't know if they mean 3 drops just last season or 3 in his entire collegiate career? Just by watching a little bit of his film I could find, there were definitely some balls that got away that I thought he should've caught. I wouldn't say he struggles, but just there were a few that got away and it definitely seemed like more than 3. Vividly remember 2 in his vs. Oregon game that he couldn't pull in.

Still love the pick.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• Richardson said that he did work with returning with Colorado's coaches and was looking forward to getting a chance to return.

I think, as long as he can field the ball cleanly, he'll be our guy at PR. If he gets even a slight hole, he's gone because his straight-line speed is ridiculous.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Smelly McUgly wrote:Richardson said that he did work with returning with Colorado's coaches and was looking forward to getting a chance to return.

I think, as long as he can field the ball cleanly, he'll be our guy at PR. If he gets even a slight hole, he's gone because his straight-line speed is ridiculous.

This is pure speculation, but I think the Colorado coaches probably didn't want their offensive MVP at the risk of getting injured in the return game.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• I'm really looking forward to seeing this guys speed in training camp and preseason. Once he starts getting behind defenses he'll be one of the WRs other teams fear. I really like the fluidity he has in his routes. It's not fair to compare, but he looks a lot like Desean Jackson.
    Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body.

Jack Dempsey
    Fuzzman55
    NET Veteran

• JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Richardson said that he did work with returning with Colorado's coaches and was looking forward to getting a chance to return.

This is pure speculation, but I think the Colorado coaches probably didn't want their offensive MVP at the risk of getting injured in the return game.

I think Richardson said that as well, or other media people are speculating that. He's also bulking up to 190, I'm not too worried about him frame after hearing that from him.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• If he want's to improve the drop ratio there is always Lasik :)

I think he will be fine, Wilson need to throw his receivers open more as well, I think we will start seeing that part of his game begin to develop when he starts to trust his line more.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I've followed Paul Richardson since he was a Frosh player.

Back Story:

Richardson along with Shaquille Richardson and Josh Shirley were all UCLA commits. They got in trouble and Rick Neuheisel booted them.

Shaquille went to Arizona. Shirley went to UW and Paul got the short end of the stick by going to Colorado. This kid would have been a superstar had he stayed at UCLA. That video of PRich scoring a 75yrd TD was against the same Shaq Richardson that was his former UCLA teammate.

Coming out of HS he was the better WR prospect. USC was recruiting Marquis Lee as a potential Safety. Richardson was the guy along with Robert Woods at WR.

This is a great pic. There are other WR that are larger but I haven't seen any that combine the speed at all gears, hands (concentration) and route running and YAC ability of PRich.

Carroll skipped on Lee for a reason folks.
    HawkSquawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• My take on this pick is that it's not really a surprise at all once you think about it. And the reason is I think PC loves a big tall physical reciever as much as the next guy. Remember early on, he brought in Big Mike, went after VJack and B. Marshall and then got Rice. But what he wants the most is a playmaker and a playmaker with those big, tall physical attributes are called top 10 picks. We didn't have that, so he goes for a potential playmaker that gets passed on because of size, health or character risks. Simple as that imo, could have played it safe and maybe got solid or take a risk and potentially get a gamechanger.
    Shane Falco
    NET Veteran

• Pandion Haliaetus wrote:I love the crying over his height/small hands... and it seems some of these people are the same ones that cry about Golden Tate.

Tate:
    5'10
    35 in Vert
    30.5 in Arms
    9 1/4 in Hands

Richardson:
    6'0
    38 in Vert
    32.5 in Arms
    8 7/8 in Hands

The pessimists on this site will now known as The Jim Harbaugh Club For Cry-Babies

I use to really always feel the need to do what you just did and still do from time to time as I get sucked into these arguments. Then I just think back to when Russell Wilson was drafted and what 75% were saying....well, now many of those same haters are wearing Wilson jerseys on Sunday.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• What is different between Paul Richardson and Deon Butler? They seem very similar to me.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• Butler was like 5-10 tops. Richardson is 6ft and faster.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• Blitzer88 wrote:Yeah, not sure a out this one. Plenty of other good WRs left on the board. All I see with this guy is speed. Most of the scouting reports I have read says he has very average hands.

DeSean Jackson has below-average hands. Just sayin'.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Missing_Clink wrote:What is different between Paul Richardson and Deon Butler? They seem very similar to me.

Paul Richardson is faster, a better route runner, and gets a better release off the line than Deon Butler, IMO, to the point that he is significantly better.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• For anybody not happy about getting another short speedster type, think about our offence if (probably when) Percy goes down again. Basically would've had the same WR's as last year, less Tate, plus Norwood. That is not an improvement at alll from what could've been one our weaker position groups. Richardson brings great insurance for Percy, and if they're both healthy, our offence can be that much more dynamic than last year. Love it
    Diehard lifetime Hawks fan and CFL hater. Jacked beyond belief for the Russ Wilson era !!
    12thManNorth
    NET Rookie

• 6ft isn't short.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• It is in comparison to a 6'4" red zone guy
    12thManNorth
    NET Rookie

• Comparing Richardson to Butler is pointless. Butler was never a fit for an offense that struggled to throw the ball deep. Butler had no future as a punt returner.

I'm not predicting Richardson will be awesome, but he does fit our current big play offense, and he does fill an immediate need as punt returner. I would suspect that our 4 WR sets will be very difficult for defenses to choose who to single cover.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Scottemojo wrote:I would suspect that our 4 WR sets will be very difficult for defenses to choose who to single cover.

For the one time we roll out four WRs each game, yes; I agree.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• 12thManNorth wrote:It is in comparison to a 6'4" red zone guy

The 6'4" red zone guy will be Sidney Rice for another season, IF he can come back from his latest knee injury.

Richardson give the Hawks another dynamic weapon on offense and much needed insurance for Harvin. Percy came up huge in the Super Bowl but he only played 68 snaps all year. If Harvin is healthy next season then he should lead the Hawks in receiving, and most likely touchdowns and earn a trip to the pro-bowl. We're all hoping for that to happen but hope is not a strategy and after last season it would be extremely unwise to count on it.

The leading receiver last year, Golden Tate, is gone and the second leading receiver, Doug Baldwin, is only under contract for one more season. Both those guys are shorter than Paul Richardson.
    naholmes
    NET Bench Warmer

• I was a bit confused when I first heard his name called, but the more I think about it, the happier I am. He adds another element to our offense that was missing. Much like Harvin stretches the defense from sideline to sideline, Richardson has the potential to stress the defense vertically. If Harvin is running a short crossing route and Richardson is going deep, who do you go after? That is ignoring the impact Lynch has too. I'm excited.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

• Butler isn't similar enough to Richardson to warrant a comparison.

That said, everyone saying Richardson was the faster of the two is in error. Butler had an official 4.31. Richardson had an official 4.33. Butler may not have been a good NFL prospect, but he was fast.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• kearly wrote:Butler isn't similar enough to Richardson to warrant a comparison.

That said, everyone saying Richardson was the faster of the two is in error. Butler had an official 4.31. Richardson had an official 4.33. Butler may not have been a good NFL prospect, but he was fast.

I think some of the confusion may be between some people referring to 40 time and some actually game speed. While Butler ran a faster official 40 in shorts, on a track, he never really played anywhere near his 40 time on the field. Where from what I have seen, and what a lot of others are seeing as well, Richardson plays much closer to his 40 time on the field. So in that sense Richardson "is faster"...

Of course that's pretty subjective and maybe impossible to prove but I think you'd agree if people worded it like that. Don't you think Richardson's game speed is faster than Butlers ever was?
    DJrmb
    NET Rookie

• Everyone keeps forgetting that we also signed the 6'5" 218# Chris Mathews from the CFL. He caught 95 passes for 1,330 yards and 8 TDs.

I was "who?" when they drafted PR but then again, so was everyone else. I wanted to see DL or OL but now that I've learned a little more about this guy, I'm starting to warm up to him.

Not sure where the "drops" rumor originated from but JS said 183 targets, 4 drops. I might be of a couple of targets off can't remember verbatim, but that's pretty damn good.

Another thing John brought up was that they looked at a list of WR in the NFL under 180# and it was quite a list.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:I would suspect that our 4 WR sets will be very difficult for defenses to choose who to single cover.

For the one time we roll out four WRs each game, yes; I agree.

Yes...but when we do, the Defense will know that they are in "deep sh*t"!!
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Do you guys think Richardson might have had something to do with the Seahawks not showing any interest in DeSean Jackson?
    Ziggyy108
    NET Starter

LAMike1
    * NET Sage *

• Found this quote by Daniel Jeremiah on March 28 about Paul Richardson

"Paul Richardson from Colorado is one of the most explosive players in the draft -- don't be surprised if San Francisco snatches him up in the first round."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... a-good-fit

And another one "Paul Richardson visits the 49ers" Great video on this page about his receiving skills.

Take that 9ers!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ting-49ers
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Ziggyy108 wrote:Do you guys think Richardson might have had something to do with the Seahawks not showing any interest in DeSean Jackson?

Look no further than DJack's salary to know why we had no interest. Or the Philly/Hawks game a couple years back where Jackson quit on routes the whole night long.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• naholmes wrote:
    12thManNorth wrote:It is in comparison to a 6'4" red zone guy

The 6'4" red zone guy will be Sidney Rice for another season, IF he can come back from his latest knee injury.

Richardson give the Hawks another dynamic weapon on offense and much needed insurance for Harvin. Percy came up huge in the Super Bowl but he only played 68 snaps all year. If Harvin is healthy next season then he should lead the Hawks in receiving, and most likely touchdowns and earn a trip to the pro-bowl. We're all hoping for that to happen but hope is not a strategy and after last season it would be extremely unwise to count on it.

The leading receiver last year, Golden Tate, is gone and the second leading receiver, Doug Baldwin, is only under contract for one more season. Both those guys are shorter than Paul Richardson.

Just 2 things sir/maam.
    1. I hope Harvin is only at the Pro Bowl to visit practicing for the Superb Owl the following week. :P
    2. Welcome to .NET. :2:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:Yeah, not sure a out this one. Plenty of other good WRs left on the board. All I see with this guy is speed. Most of the scouting reports I have read says he has very average hands.

DeSean Jackson has below-average hands. Just sayin'.

DeSean Jackson had the 3rd lowest dropped passes rate in 2012 with 2.13% - meaning he had the third-best hands in the NFL:
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... receivers/

In 2013, his dropped passes rate went up slightly to 2.4%, putting him in the top 10 again.

Just sayin'...
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• Colorado coach Mike MacIntyre talks to "Wyman, Mike and Moore" about the Seahawks' top draft pick Paul Richardson, who played for him as in a Buffaloes uniform.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... nd%20Moore
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Previous

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:14 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information