Marcus Martin.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think he is he most important player on the board tonite for Seattle.

With the Rams getting better up the middle, we need an ass kicker who can play guard, and considering how Unger played last year and his injuries, an ass kicker who can play center as well is a need. Martin fills both roles.

Put his game vs ND on and you will love everything about his game. Plus, he is only 20.

danp1990

Reaction score
wow great find man!!! :D but idk if we go center? since they consider Lemuel Jeanpierre a solid back up. i like Lem ,this guy Martin seems better but idk man i just dont see us drafting a Center :(

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
danp1990":2kasl7cd said:
wow great find man!!! :D but idk if we go center? since they consider Lemuel Jeanpierre a solid back up. i like Lem ,this guy Martin seems better but idk man i just dont see us drafting a Center :(
He is a guard as well.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Scottemojo":15glrx6d said:
danp1990":15glrx6d said:
He is a guard as well.
Said to be a C or RG. So, are you thinking Sweezy needs to be at least challenged if not replaced? Everything I seem to hear about Sweezy is that he's constantly improving and one of the better lineman. Not knocking Martin. I know he's a coveted player in the 2nd round (and he's no secret.) I think the Saints and 49ers could also be targeting Martin.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I've been tooting his horn for awhile. Totally agree. He will be dominant in a few years and has versatility. Kid played all his college games at age 19 or younger. That's pretty crazy. Huge physical development/upside left in the tank with him.

McGruff

Reaction score
Martin is shorter than ideal for a RT, but has 34 inch arms . . . that's premium tackle length. I know he didn't play there in college, but would it be possible to move him outside to RT?

His tape is really good. Man handled Louis Nix. Does a great job shooting to the second level and blocking linebackers. Didn't see any guffaws in pass protection. Hard not to like the kid,but IIRC the team is looking harder at tackles than guards, right?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
If Unger isn't healthy/improved this year, I really liked LJP last year. He seemed like he really was outplaying the injured Unger.

McGruff

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1x5j0nhw said:
If Unger isn't healthy/improved this year, I really liked LJP last year. He seemed like he really was outplaying the injured Unger.

Rumor is Lem couldn't make the line call, and that Russell was having to call protections for him. That's a major issue IMO.

McGruff

Reaction score
SeatownJay":266dh2fw said:
Can he play on the left side? We're gonna need a replacement for Carpenter.

If he can play center, he can play either guard spot. I suspect if they draft Martin its not to push Unger, its to push the guards.

Still think they prefer a tackle, though.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't know, I think guard would be the most important since Russell was getting pressure up the middle. I think they go New Orleans route and protect their "less than ideal height" QB up the middle.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The more I read about this guy, the more I like him. If you go back and watch the SuperB Owl, Max Unger looked lost and let DL run right by him untouched for TFLs. It was horrible to watch.

Against the 49ers when RW made that big scramble, Unger ran after a fat DT to block him (as if he could catch Wilson) and let one of SF's Linebackers blow up Russell just as he made that big throw.

I don't know if he was injured during the playoffs or what, but it was hurting our game.

The more I think about it, the more that C/G looks like the perfect pick. Nice call Scotte.

[youtube]hKJAY2zW1Hk[/youtube]

kearly

Reaction score
I said to my brother at the end of the first round last night that if Seattle kept the pick, I was rooting for them to take Martin. I was mildly surprised Martin made it to us.

Even if Unger does bounce back, we still need more muscle inside.

And I'm not sure Unger will bounce back, as he was an over-achiever in 2011 and 2012. That's not to say Unger is over-rated or sucks or anything like that, but usually low BMI guys like him are not good in power run situations. Unger kicked ass as a power runner in 2011 and 2012, but sucked in 2013 in that respect. Injuries played a factor, but given how his previous performance defied his build it's fair to wonder if 2013 was about regression to the mean as well.

Anyway, it's good to be prepared either way. If Martin is there, they'd be adding the draft's very best interior run blocker. A guy who can play center or guard, and is just 20 years old. He's drawn some comparisons to Alex Mack. We could use an Alex Mack.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2cyrdlce said:
Meh, he's not that good.

LOL.

"This guy is good". "We should get this guy". "This guy could compete to start".

"He's a Niner".

"Meh, he's not that good".

Not even arguing the exchange...the commentary just cracked me up. :D

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2yvg6i7u said:
hawknation2014":2yvg6i7u said:
Meh, he's not that good.

LOL.

"This guy is good". "We should get this guy". "This guy could compete to start".

"He's a Niner".

Get over yourself. Even players Seattle drafted had people disliking the pick.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Marvin49":1ylkz021 said:
hawknation2014":1ylkz021 said:
Meh, he's not that good.

LOL.

"He's a Niner".

You're making a big assumption here . . . You should read the multiple criticisms I have written about Martin on this board over the last two months.