Rank the Non-Conference schedules: Pac 12

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • Because it's the offseason and I'm bored, let's take a look at the non-conference schedules of the teams in the five power conferences, discuss, and rank them. With the 4-team playoffs starting this year there's a lot of talk that strength of schedule will play a big part in determining who gets in. We'll start with the Pac 12 since that's the conference that most of us are fans of. Here are the non-conference schedules of the 12 schools. Note that because Washington plays at Hawaii this year they have exercised the option of scheduling a 13th game to help cover the increased travel expenses of the program. Oregon State also plays at Hawaii this year but chose not to exercise their option for a 13th game.

Arizona: Nevada, UNLV, @UTSA
    Arizona State: @ New Mexico, Notre Dame, Weber State
    Cal: BYU, @ Northwestern, Sacramento State
    Colorado: Colorado State*, Hawaii, @ Massachusetts
    Oregon: Michigan State, South Dakota, Wyoming
    Oregon State: @ Hawaii, Portland State, San Diego State
    Stanford: Army, @ Notre Dame, UC-Davis
    UCLA: Memphis, @ Texas, @ Virginia
    USC: @ Boston College, Fresno State, Notre Dame
    Utah: Fresno State, Idaho State, @ Michigan
    Washington: Eastern Washington, Georgia State, @ Hawaii, Illinois
    Washington State: @ Nevada, Portland State, Rutgers
    * denotes game played at neutral site.

I think the clear winner of "hardest non-conference schedule" here is UCLA. They're the only team with multiple road games and both of them are to teams in other power conferences. Easiest might just be Washington.

Interesting note, 35% (13 of 37) of the Pac 12's non-conference games are played away from home.
    Last edited by SeatownJay on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Seems pretty soft overall. Curious, why does Washington have 4 teams while every other teams has 3?
    HawkGA
    NET Veteran

• HawkGA wrote:Seems pretty soft overall. Curious, why does Washington have 4 teams while every other teams has 3?

Allow me to answer your question with a quote.
    SeatownJay wrote:Note that because Washington plays at Hawaii this year they have exercised the option of scheduling a 13th game to help cover the increased travel expenses of the program.

Details of the "Hawaii Exemption" can be found here: http://www.fbschedules.com/2010/05/the- ... exemption/
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• UCLA has the hardest, followed by USC, and in third I'd say Utah.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• SeatownJay wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:Seems pretty soft overall. Curious, why does Washington have 4 teams while every other teams has 3?

SeatownJay wrote:Note that because Washington plays at Hawaii this year they have exercised the option of scheduling a 13th game to help cover the increased travel expenses of the program.

Details of the "Hawaii Exemption" can be found here: http://www.fbschedules.com/2010/05/the- ... exemption/

A very diplomatic answer.

:th2thumbs:
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

• UCLA is KILLING it in OOC schedules for the next 6 years.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

• Throwdown wrote:UCLA has the hardest, followed by USC, and in third I'd say Utah.

I think USC and Utah could be flipped, really depends on Michigan.

@ Michigan could be the hardest matchup of all PAC-12 this year.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

• I miss the days of "anyone, anywhere, anytime" when Pete was at USC, even though our team has been down because if sanctions. Hope we head that way again.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Not really surprised at Washington, they want to start off building confidence and Peterson I am sure wants to evaluate better real time the players. I think things will toughen up going forward.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

• Georgia state the juggernaut
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• SeatownJay wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:Seems pretty soft overall. Curious, why does Washington have 4 teams while every other teams has 3?

Apparently you expect people to read the filler paragraph you had before you listed the schedules. :179419:
    HawkGA
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:Not really surprised at Washington, they want to start off building confidence and Peterson I am sure wants to evaluate better real time the players. I think things will toughen up going forward.

UW's schedule has been set for a long time, well before Petersen was hired
    zifnab32
    NET Rookie

• The toughest schedule I see there is Notre Dame. I think overall that is a weak OOC schedule all around.
    "Go Hawks" Russlemainia
    Adopt a Rookie - Jackson Jeffcoat
    SeaHawk80
    NET Rookie

• Conference schedules are pretty set, it's the tune up games that they typically add as filler yearly. Also it may have been in place since Sark left last minute so to speak. I do know they are always scrambling to find opponents to open the first few games of the season.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

• The full non-conference schedules are usually set a year in advance. For instance, Washingtons' 2015 non-conference schedule is already set (Sacramento State, @ Boise State, and either Hawaii or Utah State depending on which site you believe), but for '16 & '17 only one opponent has been set, a home & home series with Rutgers.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• UCLA has by far the toughest schedule with two roads games at Texas and Virginia.

I feel torn about ranking the next toughest schedule. The three toughest opponents out of the remaining schedules are Oregon vs. Michigan State, Stanford at Notre Dame, and Utah at Michigan.

Cal plays both BYU and at Northwestern, which are two games they will lose. With two quality opponents, they probably have the next toughest schedule.

USC and ASU get Notre Dame at home, and none of these other games are worth a damn.

Boston College, Fresno State, Illinois, and Nevada will all be really bad this year.

1. UCLA
    2. Cal
    3. Oregon
    4. Stanford
    5. Utah
    6. USC
    7. ASU
    8. WSU
    9. Oregon State
    10. Colorado
    11. Arizona
    12. Washington