Kony Ealy

nbk35zw

Reaction score
Konya Ealy. In my unprofessional view, Ealy shows good burst, strong hands, good arm length, decent lateral quickness, and played at a high level against top competition.

So, if he is there at #32, do you take him as the next LEO?

Why is the buzz on him so mellow. What little tape I have watched he has looked good. Can rush and set the edge.

Thoughts?

kearly

Reaction score
Really slow forty. Though DEs almost never run 40 meters in a line, it's a number PC/JS religiously adhere to regarding LEOs and WRs. Seattle will not draft him.

Which is good, because he looks really stiff to me on tape, and doesn't have a lot of polish. I am surprised he is being talked about as a first rounder. Looks like a round 4-5 guy to me. I wouldn't want him in any round for Seattle.

jhern87

Reaction score
I think most people are assuming that he will be gone by the time we select. If he does fall I'd be ecstatic if we took him.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":wxayyv3z said:
Really slow forty. Though DEs almost never run 40 meters in a line, it's a number PC/JS religiously adhere to regarding LEOs and WRs. Seattle will not draft him.

Which is good, because he looks really stiff to me on tape, and doesn't have a lot of polish. I am surprised he is being talked about as a first rounder. Looks like a round 4-5 guy to me. I wouldn't want him in any round for Seattle.

edit: I actually went back and checked the date on your post. You're not joking. It wasn't posted on April 1. (Not insulting you. I'm just surprised when you go to the extreme of saying you wouldn't want him drafted by SEA in ANY round.)

Hmmmm. I must be way off. Dude's game looks superior to me. When I watch tape, I see Kony Ealy having All-Pro potential. I would list him as a "can't miss" prospect (unless some team doesn't utilize him right.) He might have a slow 40 time, which is pretty objective. I don't put a lot of stock in those, though. 3 cone drill is probably a better gauge for his position in terms of quickness when you factor in his other attributes. Still, perhaps PC/JS do eliminate guys based on the 40 and he may not be on their board due to any lack of straight line speed. I think he likely gets drafted by Dallas in the first round. If he makes it out of the 1st, I'll be surprised.

OP
OP
N

nbk35zw

Reaction score
His ability to bend with power shows up on tape. I wonder if 10 yard and 3 cone are a larger indicator of ability. This guy intrigues me. Probably Aldon Smith bias creeping in.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Aldon Smith was a freak Ealy is like Demontre Moore. Productive college player who was hyped as a high first until he showed he's not athletic enough to do the same in the pro's.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3d9g93hi said:
Aldon Smith was a freak Ealy is like Demontre Moore. Productive college player who was hyped as a high first until he showed he's not athletic enough to do the same in the pro's.
I disagree. We'll see.

Seafan

Reaction score
It wouldn't surpise me if the Hawks liked this kid at 32 but he may go sooner.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
More than his 40, his 10 yard split of 1.72 is extremely slow for a DE. Especially in Seattle.

I would be beyond shocked if Seattle took Ealy.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Scottemojo":24zilbux said:
More than his 40, his 10 yard split of 1.72 is extremely slow for a DE. Especially in Seattle.

I would be beyond shocked if Seattle took Ealy.
Jared Allen's pre-draft 10 yard split was 1.68 (still in that "below average" range that the 1.72 would also fall into.) Didn't the Hawks just make a play for Jared Allen? ;)
Still, I am more recently inclined to go with your opinion based on players I think they may target. I've taken more time the last couple of weeks to get more and more familiar with prospects. I still think Ealy is a great football player (maybe doesn't have the greatest measurables, but he can flat out play football. I guess the question is will he be as productive in the pro game.)

I would not be disappointed if the Hawks drafted Kony Ealy. But, he probably doesn't fit the Hawks in the range of picks / round he will be drafted. But, I still disagree that he wouldn't be worth a pick in any round. If he's available in the 4th round, pick 32 (he won't be), you take him.