Great Podcast on WR Prospects

Yxes1122

Reaction score
http://podcast.footballguys.com/2014/Fo ... Vol30a.mp3

In particular, there is a great discussion about Martavis Bryant at around 1:28:00 where Matt goes into detail about Bryant's past and off the field issues and where he is (mentally) now. It was nice insight on what is going through the guys head.

The rest of the podcast is really good too.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I'm sure it's an interesting listen... but who on planet earth has 1 hour 50 minutes to listen to two guys talk about wide receivers in the 2014 draft?

kearly

Reaction score
I was actually looking for listening material for work, so I will probably listen to the whole thing, then get angry when they talk up guys I don't like or pick nits on players I love.

OP
OP
Yxes1122

Yxes1122

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":m0g363uc said:
I'm sure it's an interesting listen... but who on planet earth has 1 hour 50 minutes to listen to two guys talk about wide receivers in the 2014 draft?

As someone with severe ADHD, I listen to the podcast with the Football Fan side of my brain and do math with the engineering side of my brain during work hours :thumbup:

I will say, I sometimes have to rewind because I zoned out and get lost with whatever they are saying.

kearly

Reaction score
Ooo, Matt Waldman? Yxes you should have just said so.

I bet he gushes over Bruce Ellington. I wouldn't blame him.

kearly

Reaction score
So far:

Likes Watkins, says very little, moves on.

Loves Beckham, says he's one of the draft's most versatile players.

He doesn't like Cooks for not being good enough on contested plays.

Likes Marquise Lee even less for a variety of reasons (not good on deep throws, not good on contested throws, lots of miscommunication with QBs, some drops, inconsistency). This was pretty surprising for me.

Compares Mike Evans to Jimmy Graham (in kind of a negative way).

Compares Kelvin Benjamin to Big Mike Williams and Keeshawn Johnson.

Very down on Allen Robinson, calls him a slow finesse receiver in a big body.

Doesn't like Davonte Adams very much, "not a complete WR." Waldman leads off this podcast saying this WR group lives up to they hype but so far he's having a very hard time saying anything nice about any of these players and sees a lot of them going later in the draft than people expect.

Rates the vanilla 175 pound guy from Colorado, Richardson, extremely high. Compares to Marvin Harrison. It is really weird that I am much more in agreement with Cosell than Waldman on these WRs so far.

Said Moncrief has TERRIBLE route running at times but still beats guys anyway because athleticism is so special. Could be a great guy to draft and fix up.

Has Bryant really high but also thinks he's very risky.

Has Jarvis Landry pretty high.

randomation

Reaction score
What are the thoughts on abby don't have 4 hours to listen to a podcast at the moment

kearly

Reaction score
A tip, if you miss something, don't go back. The navigation is glitched. Just download the MP3 to avoid this problem.

OP
OP
Yxes1122

Yxes1122

Reaction score
kearly":wlp8lkml said:
So far:

Likes Watkins, says very little, moves on.

Loves Beckham, says he's one of the draft's most versatile players.

He doesn't like Cooks for not being good enough on contested plays.

Likes Marquise Lee even less for a variety of reasons (not good on deep throws, not good on contested throws, lots of miscommunication with QBs, some drops, inconsistency). This was pretty surprising for me.

Compares Mike Evans to Jimmy Graham (in kind of a negative way).

Compares Kelvin Benjamin to Big Mike Williams and Keeshawn Johnson.

Doesn't like Davonte Adams very much, "not a complete WR." Waldman leads off this podcast saying this WR group lives up to they hype but so far he's having a very hard time saying anything nice about any of these players and sees a lot of them going later in the draft than people expect.

Rates the vanilla 175 pound guy from Colorado, Richardson, extremely high. Compares to Marvin Harrison. It is really weird that I am much more in agreement with Cosell than Waldman on these WRs so far.

Said Moncrief has TERRIBLE route running at times but still beats guys anyway because athleticism is so special. Could be a great guy to draft and fix up.

Has Jarvis Landry pretty high.

He also talks about his process not liking Jordan Matthews but his gut tells him he will succeed.

I got the vibe that he liked Mike Evans but not Benjamin (Was listening at work so could be wrong).

I actually sorta agree with his Lee and Beckham arguments. I like Lee more than him but I think Beckham is better. Reminds me of a little Tate and a little Harvin.

Agree with his Cooks arguments.

Allen Robinson is one of those guys I flip flop on frequently and neither analyst really made me commit.

And of course I love that he's high on Bryant. Says that the light really turned on this year and that he showed alot of personal initiative to improve.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the summary! A lot of stuff I disagree with, roll on May

I can't see this. He's not bad on contested throws and actually plays lot harder than I'd realised. He dislikes Lee for some of the reasons I dislike Bryant.

Nope. I can't see Allen Robinson being less than an above average receiver in the NFL. Plus finesse receivers don't truck 300lb linemen, run through defenders and pluck contested balls from double coverage.

His finesse doesn't define him, he's got it all - bar blazing speed.

Out of all the WR tape I've watched, Allen Robinson draws the most fouls for pass interference that I've ever seen, it gets embarrassing, especially when he still ends up making the catch. For all that lack of speed he still routinely burns guys, and even when he doesn't he'll use his body to make the play.

Interesting prospect. I really rather like his potential but can't see how he's anything more than a third day pick. He needs to somehow put on (at least) 10lbs without losing his speed.

I remember first watching Moncrief's tape and being pretty 'meh' on him for similar reasons. But for some reason I liked him a lot more when I watched it again. I think he could be another Tate in terms of development, but he's really young (I think he'll still be 20 at the start of the season?) and is a really exciting prospect.

I really want to like Bryant (in case the Seahawks draft him) but I just can't. I watch his tape and see him stumble through his routes and drop some of the more catchable balls thrown by Boyd this season.

I don't think we need a project in the first two rounds.