James Gayle, DE, Virgina Tech?

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I've never heard of this guy but i watched a few of his videos on YouTube and I like him he has potential. James Gayle is rated as a 4th or 5th rounder by NFL.com. Gayle is about a inch in height and inch in arm length away from being a slightly slower A. Barr. James Gayle has a tall frame(6'4) but small arm length for his size(32'3/8) that can add 10 pounds to 15 pounds of muscle by the looks of it without losing speed. Gayle is projected as a situational 3-4 rush LB but I like him as a LEO for Seattle. Gayle looks coordinated, has all the right explosive combine numbers, and does not play slow on tape(Chris Smith). Has a nice spin move and sets it up like Chris Clemons used to in the trenches. Gayle is able to bend the corner on OT's and has exceptional change of direction and closing speed(fast shuttle). Does not have good recognition skills, got burned on a few reverses but a LEO just has to play the run on the way to the QB right? But I suggest some of you check him out for yourself I think he has potential. Below are Barr and Gayle combine numbers for comparision.

Gayle: /Barr:
4.70-40 /4.66-40
26-Bench reps /15-Bench
37'-V-Jump /34.5-V-jump
122'-B-jump /119-B-jump
7.19-3-cone /6.82-3-cone
4.27-Shuttle / 4.19-shuttle

Attachments

• n.jpg
    n.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 754

hawknation2014

Reaction score
He certainly looks the part, but he doesn't stand out much on the game film. He didn't make that much of an impact, playing in all 13 games but recording only 44 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, and six sacks. He also didn't do much at the Senior Bowl. Looks like Robert Quinn, disappears like Brady Quinn.

I also like Ben Gardner. He's kind of a poor man's Jared Allen. He recently had a 39.5 inch vertical at Stanford's Pro Day.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2y0lhv8b said:
He certainly looks the part, but he doesn't stand out much on the game film. He didn't make that much of an impact, playing in all 13 games but recording only 44 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, and six sacks. He also didn't do much at the Senior Bowl. Looks like Robert Quinn, disappears like Brady Quinn.

Did Benson Mayowa's college tape make him look like a NFL pro-bowler? I see Gayle and Mayowa as the same type of player. Gayle has a good enough burst off the line,the size,and coordination that can be developed into a player Seattle can use effectively in its pass rush. I'm just saying if they miss out on Marcus Smith take this guy he seems like the next best LEO prospect.