What LBs do you like in the draft?

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
What LBs do you like in the draft?
Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:02 pm
  • K.J. Wight, Malcolm Smith, Mike Morgan, and Heath Farwell will be FAs next year. Bobby Wagner and Bruce Irvin are set to become FAs the year after that.

    Ideally, we land a top WR/OL/DL in the first two rounds. And then an underrated LB is left at the top of our board at 132, 146, or 172.

    LSU's Lamin Barrow seems to be flying under the radar because of his size, just like Bobby Wagner was a couple years ago. This guy flies around to the ball. He could play any of three LB positions in Pete's system. I assume Barrow will be gone by 132, but I have seen some mock drafts that have him dropping to the Fourth or Fifth Round. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyBTI2XTwig

    I also like a couple Pac-12 guys that I have watched a lot: Shayne Skov and Khairi Fortt. Skov has injury concerns that will push him down, but he's a great football player with a similar skill set to Houston's Brian Cushing. He's very quick to the ball and underrated in coverage. http://youtu.be/VQPQAhJdDGc?t=4m52s

    Fortt reminds me of Malcolm Smith. People say he lacks instincts at this stage, but he could develop into a solid WLB in this system.
    User avatar
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1266
    Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:59 am


Re: What LBs do you like in the draft?
Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:07 am
  • Jordan Tripp a nice set of combine numbers and has seen his stock rise, and Dan Quinn has familiarity with Ronald Powell and there are multiple quotes of Quinn speaking highly of him.
    User avatar
    TheWebHead
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 184
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:35 pm


Re: What LBs do you like in the draft?
Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:47 am
  • Khairi Fortt: Height: 6' 2" Weight: 248, Arm Length: 33⅝" Hand Size: 10⅛", 10 Yard Dash: 1.59, 40 Yard Dash: 4.70, Bench Press: 30, Vertical Jump: 36", Broad Jump: 120". (These are indeed WOW #'s).

    Graphs that show combine #'s in relation to other players at the same position are a real nice indicator of a players strengths and weaknesses. Fortt's graph shown in the site below is very informative. Lots of gray on the graph for Fortt shows a lot of high percentiles in comparison to others. I can't find a better graph at LB on this site.

    This is a pretty good site in several ways (mockdraftable.com). Easy to compare players at the same position and player comparisons (past & present) and a trade calculator is also included, but it's still just one more tool - but a neat one.
    http://mockdraftable.com/player/4449/
    :49ersmall:
    <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--> GO SEAHAWKS <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
    User avatar
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 905
    Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:11 am
    Location: Camano Island, WA


Re: What LBs do you like in the draft?
Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:43 am
  • I'm not a fan of drafting a LBer in the first round, but our defense is built around "speed" and if you want speed look no further then BYU's Kyle Van Noy. Track team running 4x100 4x200 and 4x400 Solid Player!
    2013-2014 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1320
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:18 am
    Location: corner of 40th & plum


Re: What LBs do you like in the draft?
Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:15 am
  • I think KJ Wright was the only LB we've ever drafted that ran slower then 4.69. He compensates with unnatural length and outstanding play recognition.

    I would expect that if a prospect doesn't run 4.6 or faster he's not even on our board. There are only maybe a couple guys in this draft that qualify:

    Ryan Shazier
    Ronald Powell
    Kevin Pierre-Louis (best test scores amongst all LBs)

    Seattle is very formulaic in their LB criteria. I'd be shocked if we took anyone other than these three. This LB class is uncommonly slow of foot. My money is on Powell/Pierre-Louis in day 3

    I expect Pierre-Louis. His scores are consistent with Khalil Mack. Slightly superior in most measurables save vertical (slight deficit) Heavy deficit in height/weight and arm length. Heavy superiority in 3 cone and shuttle.

    He looks like a really ideal guy to stash on the IR to succeed Wright or Smith in 2015.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 666
    Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm


Re: What LBs do you like in the draft?
Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:33 am
  • Couple of guys that might be flying under the radar are:

    Yamin Smallwood, ILB, Conn
    Max Bullogh, ILB, Mich St. (he's dropped in value because of some off-field issues) but he'd be nice a sleeper pick in the middle rounds.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3396
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: What LBs do you like in the draft?
Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:40 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Couple of guys that might be flying under the radar are:

    Yamin Smallwood, ILB, Conn
    Max Bullogh, ILB, Mich St. (he's dropped in value because of some off-field issues) but he'd be nice a sleeper pick in the middle rounds.


    I don't see the attraction at all for these guys. We've never drafted a big/slothful LB like Bullough. Smallwood makes him look like a cheetah.

    Seattle requires speed at LB. We are ridiculously consistent that way. I don't think either of these guys are even 7th round options for us.

    Look for guys with speed. That's who we covet.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 666
    Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm


Re: What LBs do you like in the draft?
Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:58 am
  • I would honestly be very happy with Shazier at 32. I don't like a non-pass rushing LB in R1, but we are basically a high 2nd round pick.

    Shazier offers so many rare/unique gifts that I think he could be a major weapon on this defense. I absolutely love Malcolm Smith, but I am sure he will not be retained as he will probably get decent $ elsewhere. IMO, Shazier is Malcolm Smith with a V8. Bigger, faster, stronger. Everytime I watch clips of him, my jaw literally drops witnessing his speed/explosion. We know PC is a sucker for speed too.

    Would be an interesting pick. Other than Shazier, I personally like waiting til later and grabbing the best athletes. I trust PC and Ken Norton to develop guys with the right tools.
    Mtjhoyas
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 308
    Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:03 pm


Re: What LBs do you like in the draft?
Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:14 am
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Couple of guys that might be flying under the radar are:

    Yamin Smallwood, ILB, Conn
    Max Bullogh, ILB, Mich St. (he's dropped in value because of some off-field issues) but he'd be nice a sleeper pick in the middle rounds.


    I don't see the attraction at all for these guys. We've never drafted a big/slothful LB like Bullough. Smallwood makes him look like a cheetah.

    Seattle requires speed at LB. We are ridiculously consistent that way. I don't think either of these guys are even 7th round options for us.

    Look for guys with speed. That's who we covet.


    Smallwood ran 4.68 40 yard dash. Not exactly too slow for inside LB. If you're looking for a guy who runs 4.4 40 at middle LB then good luck.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3396
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: What LBs do you like in the draft?
Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:25 am
  • Kyle Van Noy could pencil in for KJ Wright after next season very well. He might not be fast enough for Pete the way he has been worshiping speed lately, but he ran the same forty as Clemons and would be worth a look at LEO. Slight chance he could be available at #64.

    CJ Mosely is a stud, but there's basically zero chance he'll be drafted by Seattle.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10242
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: What LBs do you like in the draft?
Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:42 am
  • Chawker wrote:I'm not a fan of drafting a LBer in the first round, but our defense is built around "speed" and if you want speed look no further then BYU's Kyle Van Noy. Track team running 4x100 4x200 and 4x400 Solid Player!


    If we're going by speed, Shazier would be the guy. Clocked in the 4.3x range at his pro day.
    User avatar
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 724
    Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:38 am


Re: What LBs do you like in the draft?
Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:36 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Smallwood ran 4.68 40 yard dash. Not exactly too slow for inside LB. If you're looking for a guy who runs 4.4 40 at middle LB then good luck.


    I'm guessing that's his pro day 40. His combine 40 was 5.01. Even if we split the difference, he's slow for a TE. But fast for Jarvis Landry.

    To be fair, I think his 5.01 was an aberration. But I wouldn't trust that 4.68 under any circumstances. He doesn't look that fast on tape.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 666
    Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm


Re: What LBs do you like in the draft?
Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:42 pm
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Smallwood ran 4.68 40 yard dash. Not exactly too slow for inside LB. If you're looking for a guy who runs 4.4 40 at middle LB then good luck.


    I'm guessing that's his pro day 40. His combine 40 was 5.01. Even if we split the difference, he's slow for a TE. But fast for Jarvis Landry.

    To be fair, I think his 5.01 was an aberration. But I wouldn't trust that 4.68 under any circumstances. He doesn't look that fast on tape.


    Wow. I didn't realize he ran that slow at the combine. That's slower than few lineman. I just saw his 40 time on this site - http://www.profootballdraftnetwork.com/index.php?option=com_jumi&fileid=5&id=1337.

    How about Avery Williamson? Could he be a Seahawk draft prospect in the 4th round or later?
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3396
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: What LBs do you like in the draft?
Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:11 am
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:I think KJ Wright was the only LB we've ever drafted that ran slower then 4.69. He compensates with unnatural length and outstanding play recognition.

    I would expect that if a prospect doesn't run 4.6 or faster he's not even on our board. There are only maybe a couple guys in this draft that qualify:

    Ryan Shazier
    Ronald Powell
    Kevin Pierre-Louis (best test scores amongst all LBs)

    Seattle is very formulaic in their LB criteria. I'd be shocked if we took anyone other than these three. This LB class is uncommonly slow of foot. My money is on Powell/Pierre-Louis in day 3

    I expect Pierre-Louis. His scores are consistent with Khalil Mack. Slightly superior in most measurables save vertical (slight deficit) Heavy deficit in height/weight and arm length. Heavy superiority in 3 cone and shuttle.

    He looks like a really ideal guy to stash on the IR to succeed Wright or Smith in 2015.


    Pierre-Louis is a very fluid athlete at 232 lbs. It looks like he could easily play SS with his backpedal and cover skills. I think he will be gone long before the end of the Fourth Round.

    I'm not impressed with Powell. I have a feeling someone will overdraft him based on untapped potential.

    Pete has only drafted four LBs, with none coming in 2010 and 2013. It's true that 3/4 had sub-4.7 40 times, but K.J. Wright is a pretty big outlier with his 4.75 40.
    User avatar
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1266
    Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:59 am


Re: What LBs do you like in the draft?
Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:43 am
  • One OLB that intrigues me is Telvin Smith from FSU.He is rangy fast and would be a great special team player.Love everything I have read about his attitude and demeanor.The problem is he is raw and way too light and seems to be rated higher by the draft sights than the Hawks would draft him.
    Seems like a player that could be extremely versatile.I doubt he could bulk up to what he needs to play OLB full time in the pros.
    Doesnt seem to be a lot of speed in the draft this year at OLB.Not real impressed with the OLB class as a whole but you never know.
    justafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 519
    Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:37 am


Re: What LBs do you like in the draft?
Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:12 am
  • I know we have discussed this player in previous threads, but....thinking outside the box, I decided I'd see if I could come up with any players in the upcoming draft that can play more than one position and/or convert to one or more positions. Obviously, OL, DL & DB's can often be found that can interchange between similar positions. I'm thinking more in the lines of a guy Like OG-Sweezy that can switch from defense to offense and fit in.
    After a lot of search and study, the best scenario I can come up with is a player that could
    conceivably be a fit at DE or OLB or LEO on defense and possibly TE on offense. The physical
    measurable #'s seem to be there in spades plus he's projected round 6 or 7.

    Larry Webster, DE + TE?, OLB/LEO? Combine #'s = 6'-6", 252, 33.5"-arms, 10-1/8" hands,
    4.58/40, 1.57-10-yd.split, 36.5"-vert, 123"-broad, 7.29-3-cone & 17-reps.
    Stats: 2013: 16-TFL's & 12.5 sacks & 9-QBH. 2012: 15-TFL's & 13.5 sacks (at Bloomsburg).

    ""On the basketball court, Webster was named the PSAC Eastern Division Player of the Year for the 2011-12 season, finishing as the school's all-time career leader in blocks (175). Webster's father, Larry Webster Jr., played 11 years in the NFL at defensive end.""
    Link: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... ry-webster

    ----He is obviously extremely athletic and is very much an exciting prospect. I have read online
    (somewhere) that he had 2 receiving TD's when he was played at TE a few times in the red zone
    during his college career. IMO: Webster seems to have near elite speed, uncommon jumping abilities
    and great overall #'s for a DE or as a TE, or even a OLB/LEO.

    ----Comparison with all combine DE's:
    #2 in DE 40-yd dash at 4.58, (behind only Clowney's 4.53)
    #4 in DE broad jump at 123", tied with Jeffcoat & Moore, (behind Clowney, H Jones & K Martin)
    #5 in DE vert jump at 36.5", (behind only Clowney, Gayle, H Jones, C Smith)
    #12 in DE arm length at 33.5", ( tied with Barr & Mims, behind 11 others out of 32 total DE's.)
    #1 in DE height at 6'-6", (tied with Clark, Hart, K Martin & Mauro). +/-

    ----Comparison with all combine TE's:
    #2 in TE 40-yd. dash at 4.58, (behind only A C Leonard at #1).
    #3 in TE broad jump at 123", (behind only Colt Lyeria & A C Leonard tied at #1)
    #2 in TE vert jump at 36.5, (behind only Colt Lyeria with 39".)
    #7 in TE hand size at 10-1/8", (tied with two others, behind several others.)
    #1 in TE in height, tied at 6'-6" (with Gilmore, Jensen, Naivar & Niklas). +/-

    ----Comparison with all combine LB's:
    #3 in LB 40-yd dash at 4.58, (only Kevin Pierre-Lewis & Telvin Smith were faster)
    #4 in LB broad jump at 123", tied with Barrow, (behind only Mack, Pierre-Lewis & Shazier
    #7 in LB vert. jump at 36.5", (behind Bradford, Hubbard, Mack, P-Lewis, Shazer & Shembo).
    #6 in LB Arm length at 33.5", tied with Hitchens, (behind Barr, Mack, Powell, Pierre-Lewis, T Smith)
    #1 in LB height, tied at 6'-6", with Adrian Hubbard. +/-
    Link: http://mockdraftable.com/players/2014/

    ""Played in 2014 East-West Shrine Game. Shrine report: Is a long and athletic athlete who has a lot of tools to play in the NFL, be it defensive end or tight end. Joined the football team after basketball season in 2012.""
    Link: http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-de ... ter/105960

    ""Bloomsburg DE Larry Webster (6-6, 249) has an athletic and intriguing skill-set that is tough to ignore. He displayed excellent quickness, natural bend and the flexibility to play in space and win with speed off the edge. Webster, who starred for four years on the basketball court in college, needs to get stronger and add meat to his lean, lanky body type.""
    Link: ttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsp ... &genpos=DE
    <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--> GO SEAHAWKS <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
    User avatar
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 905
    Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:11 am
    Location: Camano Island, WA


Re: What LBs do you like in the draft?
Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:41 pm
  • I'm hoping Korey Toomer gets healthy and makes the team.
    I'm In!


    What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3326
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX




It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:01 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: beehawk46 and 5 guests