Does the Allen deal change our draft?

Largent80

Reaction score
What do you think?

As of right now the FA market is dry and we lose MC Donald and Clem. We are left with the drafted/injured players from last year as replacements?

godawg

Reaction score
If Chicago's signing Allen and Dallas' signing Melton help Aaron Donald fall into our clutches, I'm all for it.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
I am sure Pete is looking at LEOs in this draft, already.

We need young, cheap, long term guy. Luckily we don't need him right away, not do we have to draft high.

Should be fun seeing who Pete picks and what round.

I am going to follow seahawksdraftblog more to see what English thinks of mid round LEOs

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah, if Donald starts to slide to the 15+ range -- I'd have to think we'd be interested in possibly moving up.

Seattle loves productive guys who test well. Donald really blew the lid off of both. If he drops because of size concerns I'd have to think we'd consider him a special talent worth being aggressive on.

Seafan

Reaction score
Sam might be an UDFA who gets signed by the Hawks for camp. But there are other Leo candidates in the draft who are draftable.

sutz

Reaction score
"Change?" IDK. Just saying it that way implies they were planning on signing Allen, which I don't know is completely true. I mean, he never was truly 'in the bag' for us.

Sure, it affects the draft, as it is a small hole that it would be nice to fill. If the FO thought it was a critical juncture, they would have approached the whole Allen negotiations more like last year with Avril and Bennett. They would have shown more urgency, if you will.

As it is, I'm not shaking in my boots at the current situation, with the entire draft coming up and a couple of young guys who just might be ready to step up and contribute in a major way. Given our scouting crew's ability to find talent and our coaching staff's ability to coach it up, I'm pretty confident we'll all have forgotten Allen's name by December.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
the Leo I see in this draft that could make a difference day one is Marcus Smith,DE,Louisville. He has the length,speed,coordination, and natural pass rush ability that Seattle looks for in its players. would make a good 3rd down rotational player. I would try to use next years 5th rounder to trade up a few spots to get him in the fourth because I bet the compensatory picks should be good next year especially with us missing out on Jared Allen.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I honestly don't see the glaring need on d-line. Avril and Bennett can share reps at LEO. Jordan Hill gets more reps as an interior rusher. Irvin moves into Avril's strong-side rusher role. We had an embarrassment of riches on D-Line last year. The FO never planned to land both Avril and Bennett. In terms of pure depth chart, the D-Line is pretty solid right now.

I think if they had the chance to draft a DE they liked, they would've drafted him regardless if they had gotten Allen or not.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't think so. If they were that concerned, they would have kept Clem.

Also, it isn't the deepest of DE drafts. I suspect we will get one later in the draft, there are a couple of projects that are athletic freaks.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
It's more of a depth issue, with the players playing half the snaps. A mid-round prospect could bolster that from beneath. The problem will be next year when Avril's out of here.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ryoe25c said:
I don't think so. If they were that concerned, they would have kept Clem.

Also, it isn't the deepest of DE drafts. I suspect we will get one later in the draft, there are a couple of projects that are athletic freaks.

I don't want to make too big a deal out of it, but I think the Clemons decision backfired on them. I think their expectation was that Clemons would have zero market and that in a worst case scenario, they could sign him back for peanuts. Instead, he signs immediately in Jacksonville, for decent money too. There are still some veteran options out there, but I think they would have preferred Clemons out of that group because of scheme fit and familiarity. Had they held on to him longer, or attempted a restructure while pointing to the ice-cold markets of Spencer / Phillips, they could have probably kept him for a reasonable sum of money.

That said, I think Schofield was roughly as good at LEO last season as Clemons was, and we could probably get him back dirt cheap. I hope we do.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
kearly":2knmbc7c said:
I think Schofield was roughly as good at LEO last season as Clemons was, and we could probably get him back dirt cheap. I hope we do.

Me too, and I'm kinda wondering why we haven't done that.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Largent80":277ie7i7 said:
kearly":277ie7i7 said:
I think Schofield was roughly as good at LEO last season as Clemons was, and we could probably get him back dirt cheap. I hope we do.

Me too, and I'm kinda wondering why we haven't done that.

He just had something like 8 million ripped from underneath him. Im sure he's still looking to make some money and get more PT before he would even entertain coming back here "dirt cheap"

I think this offseason has definitely proved that money trumps all.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Well, nobody is breaking down the door to get him, so he has some sort of unrealistic fantasy. He wasn't injured here so I'm wondering WTF.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
Marcus Smith is a guy the Hawks have been linked to at DE and would be a option at #64

kearly

Reaction score
Does the Allen deal change our draft?

Short answer: not really.

Longer answer: sort of.

Seattle drafts based on a roster differential score. So if there is a position that grades as a 65 and a prospect who grades as a 75, that would be a draft score of +10. This is why Seattle has generally drafted for need, unless there was some amazing talent they just couldn't say no to (Christine Michael, or arguably Percy Harvin). Right now we are pretty weak at our backup LEO spot, so every pass rusher in this draft will have a higher than average score for Seattle. I don't think we will draft one though, because these pass rushers just aren't very good and our need is even greater at WR where there will be some terrific players available.

So yeah, it will "change" the way our draft will be conducted, but it is very unlikely to result in a pass rusher getting taken early by Seattle. I would look to rounds 5-7 for Seattle to add some DL guys who are flawed but fit a role of some kind. And these guys will not be counted on at all in 2014, just players that could maybe turn into contributors a few years from now.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I'm a long time poker player... football now days is a game of poker, you have to know when to trade good cards you have for a chance at better ones, and you need to when to hold on to cards that have potential to win the game.

I trust the FO and our staff to make the best plays and and decisions with what we have, what we know and what we hope for.

This is a machine, you tune it up, you fix what you can and you pray on race day that everything performs as it should.

I'm actually MORE excited for 2014!!