Food for thought trade down offer

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Let's say hypothetically.. a player drops to 32 and the 49ers want to trade their two 2nd round picks to us (56th and 61st) for our 32nd overall pick in the draft.... do you take that trade, or do you pass because it's your most hated division rival?

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I'd contend in that scenario, unless it's a Safety, that we'd be foolish to pass on that talent because trading 2 Seconds in the same year, would imply to me that it's a top notch talent...say on par with a Odell Beckham or Zach Martin or Ra'shede Hageman type. I just don't see a team giving up that much unless the prospect is universally seen as upper echelon.

I do understand the yearning to accumulate picks, but a lot of times, you end up trading that $100 Bill and you only get 4 $20s back. At the current status of this franchise, I like the idea of "insuring" a near premium talent and then trying to accumulate later picks to play the "lottery" (so to speak). I'd be more comfortable hanging onto 32, and then playing the game at 64 to accumulate mid-round or 2015 picks.

kearly

Reaction score
I would take the trade. This isn't a situation where saying "no" really has much value, because if Seattle turned them down it's pretty likely the 33rd or 34th picking teams wouldn't. A late 2nd round pick will carry a lot of value this year. It would be very nice to have three of them.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
What if that player is Aaron Donald? Or Beckham Jr?

Realistically, it'll have to be a talent we'd like a lot here for a team to make that kind of move.

And yes, I'd make that deal. 3 picks at the end of round 2 would be outstanding. Seattle could probably turn that into a couple 2nds, a third and maybe an extra 5th.

And honestly, isn't that about the kinds of drafts Seattle has had anyway? We may as well not even have a first round pick.

sutz

Reaction score
As was said above, it kind of depends on who's available right then, but it sounds like a great trade to me. IIRC, we could use a 3rd this year, too, right? So a 2 and a 3 would even tempt me.