Updated mock draft -- 5th March

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Hmmm, I really think we should be looking at Jordan Matthews if he makes it to #32.

I joke, I joke. I really like 'Pitbull' Bitonio and think he would be a great replacement for the Big Russian.

I'll admit that I didn't notice him until the combine, and expected to find his tape underwhelming seeing as he'd been talked about as a 4th rounder, but it really wasn't.

Would you take a chance moving back into the 2nd to try and accrue a 3rd or 4th? I wouldn't be disappointed to pick him in the 1st but we could have done with our 3rd this year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Pick would catch a lot of people off guard

So it seems pretty damn accurate

aawolf

Reaction score
I like it. I would love to trade this pick for a 2nd and third round pick and try to pick him up in the second with our updated pick--I think he slides to midway through the second. I wouldn't be disappointed if we took him or Morgan Moses (OT, Virginia) in the first though.

General Manager

Reaction score
I can't see them taking a right tackle or guard with our first pick . DT yes, a left tackle yes because of injury problems with O'Kung, maybe even a really good center but not a guard.
With Rice getting cut the uncertainty of resigning Tate and Harvin's potential for injury, WR should be our first pick.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
General Manager":1bfw4hx6 said:
I can't see them taking a right tackle or guard with our first pick . DT yes, a left tackle yes because of injury problems with O'Kung, maybe even a really good center but not a guard.
With Rice getting cut the uncertainty of resigning Tate and Harvin's potential for injury, WR should be our first pick.

Bitonio plays left tackle. If you play him at right tackle or guard, that's your choice. But he lays LEFT tackle.

And if only it was as easy as, "this should be our pick" and then they draft and a receiver and that's that.. It's like you've not even bothered to read the mock.

General Manager

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":11yv5ltv said:
General Manager":11yv5ltv said:

Bitonio plays left tackle. If you play him at right tackle or guard, that's your choice. But he lays LEFT tackle.

And if only it was as easy as, "this should be our pick" and then they draft and a receiver and that's that.. It's like you've not even bothered to read the mock.

If he can play left tackle then that makes sense.

kearly

Reaction score
I like it. Much more so if we keep Breno too. Forget replacing tackles, we need depth at tackle first.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
kearly":3dfmahn8 said:
I like it. Much more so if we keep Breno too. Forget replacing tackles, we need depth at tackle first.

I have high hopes for Bailey and Bowie.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
bigtrain21":25ulwu4y said:
kearly":25ulwu4y said:

I do too. But the achilles heel of this OL unit is Okung's availability.

Bitonio solves that. Add Bitonio somewhere on that line, with Bailey and Bowie and you probably have an OL equal to the 2005 unit (across the board talent).

I actually like the idea of going Bitonio/Fiedorowicz. This division is won on toughness. Miller is still a contract we have to plow under. We still have guys that need to be replaced for cap reasons (Miller, Mebane, Clemons). Those are the contracts that have to be cut in this year or next to sign the next round of extensions.

Personally, I look at this roster and I see a championship roster. Which means we're reloading, not rebuilding. If Bitonio can play left tackle after a year learning the scheme -- now you have at least the option to let Okung walk. Okung is probably 80% of Russell Wilson's extension right there. Fiedorowicz is essentially a Miller clone. A guy who has modest receiving ability but is an outstanding blocker. Guys who can fill both roles at TE are rare. And ours is a team that covets that kind of talent more than just about any other in the league.

Literally, we could reload with Bitonio/Fiedorowicz and possibly Justin Ellis in the 4th as a Mebane successor. Now you are in position to relieve yourself of 2 big contracts in 2014. Or possibly 2013. Do we get better talent wise overall? No. Do we need to get better to contend for a championship? No. We need to be in a position to keep the alpha talent on this team. There are some guys that simply cannot be replaced. Wilson. Sherman. Thomas. Harvin. Bennett. Those are the big 5.

Last year, we did a good job of drafting ahead of need. We have guys waiting in the wings to replace critical roles. We need to keep doing that. It's not altogether sexy. But this approach is about maintaining excellence. Like it or not, Harvin is our 'Mike Evans' type difference maker. Our fortunes are tied to his availability. Scary but true.

I'm not necessarily a honk for upgrading the OL. But I am convinced that this team needs to secure a quality plan B at left tackle and we need to do that this year. Every year we don't, we risk Wilson's longevity.

There are so many ways this team could go. We definitely have it within our power to continue to reload talent at key positions without losing the physicality edge.

justafan

Reaction score
Nice write up.The kid looks like a hell of a player.After 3 vids I didnt see him get beat by a speed rush.Barr was manhandled,FSU had a lot of young DEs but they always have talent there and they got beaten badly.Fresno DEs were no match.
He has the agility to pull,cut block and play the zone scheme.
I would love the pick.He could play either tackle IMO,RT for sure or slide in and beat out either guard.
Instant upgrade on the line and gives the team a lot of flexibility dealing with future contracts.
After reading a lot of different opinions on where we should go with the 1st pick this is my favorite so far.
I could see him climbing the draft boards.I think you are right about being under rated

sc85sis

Reaction score
I agree with your assessment of Marqise Lee. You want to see a kid with a chip on his shoulder? Look no further. As for the 40 time, he's more of a game speed guy than a track speed guy. His primary track event was long jump, which is why he's quick and explosive more than straight line fast. Also he has yet to reach his ceiling in terms of learning the position. He was mostly a corner in HS, so he's really only been playing WR for three years.

Size is going to be the biggest question mark for Marqise. Can he stay healthy? I hope so. He's a good kid who has overcome a lot in his life.

Really hope he doesn't end up on one of our rival NFC West teams.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
We'll see what his pro day looks like for speed. Honestly, he doesn't look like a 4.5 guy on tape. You can't really fake that kind of speed.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Nice to see you coming around on OL in the 1st! Bitonio is a really interesting prospect who fits the mold of "special athlete" that Seattle loves in the first round. Seems versatile enough to be a road grader at RT or LG, but could also provide sneaky value as LT insurance for Okung. Seems like he holds up well in protection and looked particularly good against athletic rushers (one of our big weaknesses). I'd be happy with this pick.

kearly

Reaction score
bigtrain21":1k73u1ve said:
kearly":1k73u1ve said:

I like Bailey, but will they use him?

Bowie looks pretty iffy at tackle IMO. Good run blocker but terrible in protection. Room to grow and all that, but not counting any chickens there.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":gj013z82 said:
Nice to see you coming around on OL in the 1st!

It's not a case of coming around to be fair. It's about the players available.

Bitonio is a player I can get behind drafting because he's good enough to covet. But he and Zack Martin are the only two guard projections I'd want or consider Seattle drafting in round one. Otherwise I'd avoid the position like the plague early because the rest of this class is piss poor.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
kearly":3qeuok33 said:
bigtrain21":3qeuok33 said:
kearly":3qeuok33 said:

I like Bailey, but will they use him?

Bowie looks pretty iffy at tackle IMO. Good run blocker but terrible in protection. Room to grow and all that, but not counting any chickens there.

Oh yeah I am just saying that they help provide good depth at Tackle whether they start or not.

The hard thing about Offensive Line is that you expect young offensive lineman to make mistakes at first, even good ones. What makes that hard is that you don't know when to give up on a lineman because good ones looks bad before they get experience a lot of times.

For me I see so much potential in Bailey. I think we did a good job of getting Bailey and Bowie some playing time in their rookie seasons. If we can turn them into something it would be such a huge advantage.

All that being said I am okay adding more of a "sure thing" to the mix. I just am not too worried about depth as long as we see normal progressions.

randomation

Reaction score
Hm interesting pick right before the hawks Borland should be a first rounder but I think he is going to get dinged due to height honestly. I still think Bitino would be there in the 2nd at 64 but not a bad pick since it only takes one team to fall in love with him and take him before then.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
randomation":3kuzhc35 said:
Hm interesting pick right before the hawks Borland should be a first rounder but I think he is going to get dinged due to height honestly. I still think Bitino would be there in the 2nd at 64 but not a bad pick since it only takes one team to fall in love with him and take him before then.

He's picking up a lot of momentum. As an offensive tackle. That could easily push him to the 25 to 40 range.

Although looking at the UFA signings, a lot of teams tied to OT prospects in R1 are picking up UFA talent. It's possible there isn't a run on talent at the OT position at least to the extent that has been assumed.