USC TE- Xavier Grimble

-The Glove-

Reaction score
6'5" 255lbs... What you guys think about him? #1 rated TE in the country coming out of HS. Didn't show much at USC under Kiffin. Rare athleticism for his size and a good blocker.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Overview
Two-time honorable mention All-Pac-12 selection (2012-13). 2013: Played in 13 games and made six starts. 2012: Played in 13 games and started nine. 2011: Played in 12 games and started seven. 2010: Redshirted. Misc.: His cousin, Jalen Grimble, plays defensive line at Oregon State. Another cousin, Barkevious Mingo, plays for the Cleveland Browns.

Strengths
Has a good frame for the position -- room to pack on bulk. Can work the middle of the field, take a hit and maintain possession. Good hands -- can extend to catch and is a reliable short-to-intermediate receiver. Has the look of a throwback with the ball in his hands -- rumbles downfield and is a load to bring down. Shows willingness as a blocker and potential to be functional with improved strength and technique.

Weaknesses
Needs to get stronger and could use more glass in his diet. Average balance. Narrow-based, underpowered, in-line blocker -- gets manhandled and tossed aside. Releases tall and mechanically -- too easily jammed and rerouted. Linear mover who builds to speed. Has been dinged up and durability could be an issue.

Bottom Line
Big-framed, underpowered, underachieving tight end who did not live up to expectations at USC and made a curious decision to forgo his final season of eligibility despite producing a modest 25-271-2 ( 10.8 ) during an injury-affected 2013 campaign. Has size, athleticism and hands to warrant developmental consideration if he tests well.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Wouldn't take him before our 6th round pick for the reasons as indicated above.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
He's an above average blocker with huge hands.

His injuries and low production concern me. 5th or 6th rounds sounds about right if he is available, and they haven't already invested in a TE.

mbtitleist

Reaction score
Kiffin pretty much employed the "only throw the ball to Robert Woods" offense in '11 and the next year that switched to a "only throw the ball to Marqise Lee" philosophy in '12 so the low numbers are understandable. 2013 was disappointing that he wasn't able to stay on the field and went thru a coaching change and a new QB. That and the fact that when Kiffin was calling plays it seemed like the tight ends were damn near ignored. I'm not saying I'd take him in the early rounds but if he's around later on in day 3 of the draft I certainly wouldn't mind them picking him up.

usChawks

Reaction score
Pete mentioned at the USC event that "Marquise and Xavier interviewed well". I guess that means the Seahawks used one of their interview slots on Grimble? Could be due diligence, or there could be some interest there.

I see it as an Anthony McCoy situation, where if Grimble falls, Pete will nab a player he knows has potential.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Both Xavier and Randall Telfer (the latter chose to remain at USC for another year) have huge potential if they stay healthy.

McGruff

Reaction score
I prefer Marcel Jensen if we are going with a big TE, but Grimble is a fine late round option.