Seahawks Mock Draft . . . thoughts?

McGruff

Reaction score
Just rolling this out there for feedback . . .

1. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbuilt . . . Good (not great) size and length, with speed, leaping ability, plus hands and good RAC numbers. I've tried to wrap my head around Benjamin, but aside from size, he's got . . . well, nothing.

2. Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada . . . His combine numbers put him in the top 2-3 at his position, and his film doesn't show any glaring reasons why not. The only knock is quality of competition. IMO he's a starting RT quality player who could also move inside, but has the athletic ability to play LT. I have him as a top 20 player who we coould get in the 2nd round.

4. DE Chris Smith, Arkansas . . . He's one of the more explosive LEO ends available, and its probably wishful thinking that he lasts this long, but he is on the short side. Makes up for lack of height with long arms and explosive leaping ability and has good snap anticipation.

5. Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley St. . . . He's our yearly 5th round project with excellent numbers in every area, but questions about his actual ability and level of competition. I just don't think you can overlook his raw talent.

5. Jerick McKinnon, RB, Georgia Southern . . . played option QB in college, but projects to pro RB with good size and excellent athletic ability. The question is his ability to run between the tackles . . . he just hasn't ever done it! But he shows good physicality and has played nearly every position on both offense and defense.

6. John Urschel, OG, Penn State . . . short but think, not overly powerful, but a smart, tenacious technical zone blocker with excellent athletic traits.

7. Khairi Fortt, LB, Utah . . . Long linebacker who can play inside or out. Is a read and react type player at this point who needs to learn the position but has excellent raw skills.

titan3131

Reaction score
I like everything but a RB.

I would drop it and get a safety to be a cheap backup for ET.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
It's not bad. We'll have a lot more answers once we see whether Tate is back and if Baldwin gets re-signed. If so I don't see us needing a WR that badly and drafting 2 of them. I'd replace that 2nd WR with a LB. Next year Wright and Smith are FA. We need some depth there.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I would have no problem drafting McKinnon. He has a lot of upside.

Threedee

Reaction score
I have seen us grabbing a CB in R7. It seems a trend that unless we can get a big name OT like Yankey in R1, we do grab a WR.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I like it I think we need a CB somewhere in there. I'm not sure about getting 2 WR's if we draft one in the 1st but I like both prospects.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
McGruff":7xy8v14s said:
Just rolling this out there for feedback . . .

1. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbuilt . . . Good (not great) size and length, with speed, leaping ability, plus hands and good RAC numbers. I've tried to wrap my head around Benjamin, but aside from size, he's got . . . well, nothing.

2. Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada . . . His combine numbers put him in the top 2-3 at his position, and his film doesn't show any glaring reasons why not. The only knock is quality of competition. IMO he's a starting RT quality player who could also move inside, but has the athletic ability to play LT. I have him as a top 20 player who we coould get in the 2nd round.

5. Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley St. . . . He's our yearly 5th round project with excellent numbers in every area, but questions about his actual ability and level of competition. I just don't think you can overlook his raw talent.

Mathews is a reach in round one. His tape doesn't stand out and he seems a lot like what we already have. Bitonio won't be there in round two. Janis won't be there in round 5.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
Corner's are tough as hell to find in this draft. They either go early or the ones late suck.

There are some good, physical undersized guys who compare to Winfield, but not our normal 6+ guys . . .

Pie Romania

Reaction score
titan3131":1ojsvuq4 said:
I like everything but a RB.

I would drop it and get a safety to be a cheap backup for ET.

Honestly, McKinnon could probably make the switch to safety. At 5'9" and 209lbs, he's an inch shorter than ET, but 7lbs heavier coming out of college. McKinnon also ran his 40 yard dash in 4.41 (.03 faster than Earl's combine time), had a 1.46 10-Yard split (Earl had a 1.56), 32 reps of 225 (as opposed to Earl's 21) and a 40.5" vert (Earl's was 32"). I know Earl ran faster at his pro day and that McKinnon has been moved around a bit, so he'd be needing to learn a whole new position, but the athletic ability is there and if his instincts can be developed, he could potentially be a stud backup if (God forbid) Earl ever goes down with an injury. I like DeShawn Shead in a Chancellor role where he's a fair bit faster, but gives up 12-14lbs. Not sure he can be physical enough to play that role though with the limited playing time to evaluate.

I like McKinnon in the 5th, but he may be selected a round earlier. If he's there for us though in the 5th or later, it'd be a good selection IMO as a project that could develop into a beast and be yet another player the league is clamoring about in Seattle.

chris98251

Reaction score
Leon Washington? Sounds like a guy that is more offense oreinted, Free Safety maybe, but Kick returner, scat back, depends on how good his hands are. Kind of guy that Pete may take a flyer on just becasue he has skills and could have a chip to use as motivation. Also could be a Sproles type back maybe.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":10rwd1bp said:
McGruff":10rwd1bp said:
Corner's are tough as hell to find in this draft. They either go early or the ones late suck.

Like Sherman, Maxwell, Lane?

Problem is there arent a lot of long guys in this draft, and very few athletes outside of the top round. And a lot of teams will be drafting those guys earlier based on our success

Subzero717

Reaction score
McGruff":20p5fz18 said:
CALIHAWK1":20p5fz18 said:
McGruff":20p5fz18 said:

Like Sherman, Maxwell, Lane?

Problem is there arent a lot of long guys in this draft, and very few athletes outside of the top round. And a lot of teams will be drafting those guys earlier based on our success

Maxwell at 6'1" isnt incredibly long and Lane at 6' foot isnt either. This isnt our first year playing bigger corners and having success. Simon was there for us last year. Maxwell didnt even start in college. I simply think we coach secondary better than any other team by a margin.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
Most corners are in he 5' 10 range, making both player plus size corners. Maxwell also has insanely long arms for his size and lane posted a 42 inch vertical. I've done an in depth study of he combine numbers and here are maybe 6 players that come close to hose kind of numbers and all six will be fone in the top hree rounds.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Philip Gaines is a late round prospect. 6'0 193lbs. I'm sure there are some others we don't even know about too.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'm wondering if we can get by just finding a nickel CB to replace WT3. He won't need to be as big as we prefer on the outside as the few guys that are 6'1+ are going to be overdrafted because of guys like Sherman and Browners success.

Looking toward the Future I think the players we need to prepare to replace are

LB KJ Wright
DE Clemons
TE Miller
CB Maxwell (Tharold Simon could step up but we still need more competition for this spot)
DT Mebane (Could Hill or Scruggs be his replacement)1

Okung could also be looked at as a player we might replace with a high draft pick to save a ton of money

Subzero717

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2dqg7t4i said:
I'm wondering if we can get by just finding a nickel CB to replace WT3.

Jeremy Lane.

As far as Mebane he a big booty NT. Scruggs is a little light for that.

Subzero717

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2qz6eqvi said:
Wenhawk":2qz6eqvi said:
I'm wondering if we can get by just finding a nickel CB to replace WT3.

Jeremy Lane.

As far as Mebane he a big booty NT. Scruggs is a little light for that and Hill isnt big enough either. I think they can adress that in this draft or potentially FA.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
I believe I read something a while back where Lane stated he wasn't as comfortable inside as he is outside. Don't recall the source though. If a guy falls into the 3rd round that can be somewhat physical with good cover skills and the Hawks find them there in the 3rd round, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them trade up to get a guy who can man down the nickel position. I also wouldn't be surprised if there are a few late round guys that could be very effective early on with this coaching staff.