Who is this year's Bruce Irvin type surprise draft riser?

kearly

Reaction score
If Seattle makes a surprise "reach" pick at #32 that reminds us of the Bruce Irvin pick in 2012, who do you think it will be?

My guess is Jeff Janis. I think after this combine you will have the media talking about him in rounds 3-4, while NFL FO's will be talking about in him round 2, and mulling him as a possibility at the end of round 1.

Seattle took Irvin because he had incredibly rare athleticism and some very impressive traits. He was far from a polished pass rusher, but this seems to actually attract Pete to prospects because he's always looking for players with their best football ahead of them. He's taken the same tact with late round picks, at times with big success.

Janis is not the most NFL ready WR, but he possesses freakish measurables while lacking some of the attitude red flags that you worry about with Martavis Bryant. Bruce Irvin may have had a rap sheet, but he was also humble and had a pure-hearted, "can do" attitude. I think if it comes down to Bryant v. Janis for the pure upside redline WR, they will lean in Janis' direction.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
You really think they would spend a first on him? I would rather get an offensive lineman if thats their choice for the first pick. So many receivers this year reaching for Janis in the first is crazy.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I think you missed the point of this thread.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Good point, it wouldn't surprise me to see a guy like Baptiste or Mcgill rise way over their actual talent into early second or possibly late first(hard to see that happening though). I'm not sure we see that this year with all the talent to be had.

HawkStar22

Reaction score
I could see us taking Janis with our first pick but I would think and hope that we would be able to trade our #32 pick and grab him in the early-mid 2nd round, gaining more picks in the process.

titan3131

Reaction score
Kearly could you enlighten me on the concerns about bryant?

Because I love what I see from him.

sliv

Reaction score
Dri Archer because he is a faster more explosive Tavon Austin. I am saying first round for the sake of this Bruce Irvin out of nowhere surprise people thread but I hope he ends up a Seahawk regardless of round. I love the Percy Harvin effect and having another slot wr with world class speed on the roster would give us a better chance of one of them being healthy at all times. That's my crazy logic at least and I loved Tavon Austin coming out of the draft last year. If they are both healthy awesome keep these small guys fresh and healthy by sharing reps. Dri can be Percy's .....Robert Turbin if Turbin played more because Marshawn is more durable.

drrew

Reaction score
titan3131":1er1umye said:

If you watch his highlight vids, he runs a great fly or go route, but hasn't shown any ability to actually run an NFL route tree.

On the plus side outside of the measurables, he seems able to adjust to the ball in the air quite well for someone his size.

BHF

Reaction score
Janis lit it up, but I still can't get the bad taste out of my mouth from the last first rounder we used on a SVSU player. Is Matthews too little a reach?

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
He would be a big reach. At least Irvin and Carpenter were in the conversation the conversation to be a 2 or 3rd round pick. This guy should be a mid rounder due to his physical prowess and, I would hope they wouldn't reach for him in the 1st. I like the kid a lot but I feel he can be had later. The guy I feel will take a jump will be the linebacker out of BC, Pierre.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Man...watching Janis in the Senior Bowl was tough. Some of the worst hands I've seen. I'm all for gambling on upside but there's just not enough there IMO to make a pick like that. Just a very unnatural football player despite being an insane athlete. I get the gist of this post but I think this Would be a completely disastrous pick. Jameson Konz 2.0 in my eyes.

Chauda

Reaction score
Kareem Martin is a fantastic athlete. His arms are incredibly long at 35" and his 1.53 split at 10 yards was also great. I think that he is a guy that make people like Dan Quinn salivate when they imagine the player that he could become. I don't know how much of a bump, but he seems like one of the crazier athletes in the draft. I think if Clowney didn't drop his A-bomb of a workout more people would be talking about him.
Someone showed this site recently and I have been looking through it obsessively, here are Martin's numbers- http://mockdraftable.com/player/4542/

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":zwmhx2ob said:
Good point, it wouldn't surprise me to see a guy like Baptiste or Mcgill rise way over their actual talent into early second or possibly late first(hard to see that happening though). I'm not sure we see that this year with all the talent to be had.

i could see this with other teams trying to copy us, but I dont think we will reach on one.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
titan3131":1k1szuts said:

I like Bryant, and would be excited if we get him. That said, I've heard a lot of concerns over his "want to." He also has one of the highest drop rates among draftable WRs: 12.5% last season.

Hawkalypse":1k1szuts said:
He would be a big reach. At least Irvin and Carpenter were in the conversation the conversation to be a 2 or 3rd round pick. This guy should be a mid rounder due to his physical prowess and, I would hope they wouldn't reach for him in the 1st. I like the kid a lot but I feel he can be had later. The guy I feel will take a jump will be the linebacker out of BC, Pierre.

Irvin was considered a day 3 guy before his combine. The talk about Janis being a round 5-7 player is all media talk anyway. FWIW I am not a Janis fan, but I also have not been a fan of many of the WRs Seattle brought in.

The Konz comp doesn't really work because Konz basically didn't even play football even in college. In five years he had 49 total tackles on defense, and 23 total catches on offense. By comparison Janis had 3000+ yards and 31 receiving TDs over his career and is a Division II All-American at WR. Last season he ranked #1 in yards, #1 in receptions, #2 in TDs and was 8th in yards per catch. Konz is a great athlete and nothing more, Janis is a highly productive small school WR who just happens to also be an insane athlete. I think 3rd round is likely his floor at this point, and he'd go higher in a weaker WR class. He's far more impressive than Kris Durham as a prospect, who went 4th round a few years ago.

Mtjhoyas":1k1szuts said:
Man...watching Janis in the Senior Bowl was tough. Some of the worst hands I've seen. I'm all for gambling on upside but there's just not enough there IMO to make a pick like that. Just a very unnatural football player despite being an insane athlete. I get the gist of this post but I think this Would be a completely disastrous pick. Jameson Konz 2.0 in my eyes.

Last year I made little secret about how I thought Chris Harper was a terrible WR; he dropped a ton of passes at KSU and quit on plays. Kris Durham was sushi raw. Jermaine Kearse was a drop machine. Golden Tate had some pretty big issues. Ricardo Lockette, Braylon Edwards, Mike Williams, Stephen Williams... our FO is attracted to WRs with great tools and ugly play. For better or worse.

I'm always biased towards polished college WRs so Janis would not be my pick either, I just think he fits their profile, and lately they seem to make "wtf" kind of picks in the first round. They also have gone on the record as saying that they grade on athleticism first, everything else second. Janis was the #1 athlete at the combine this year among WRs, which is saying a lot given how big and athletic this WR class is.

I like Martavis Bryant, but he hasn't done anything in games yet. If Martavis Bryant was even more freakish of an athlete and put up video game numbers in Division II, would we be calling him a 5th rounder? No way. I think Bryant probably ends up in the first round, anything lower than mid-2nd for him would surprise me. I think Janis probably goes in rounds 2-3, unless a team like Seattle shocks the world. You see this every single year where a bunch of late round guys bump their stock into the first three rounds with a killer combine. Nothing shocking about it here if it happens for Janis.

The end of the fourth round is probably where I would take that gamble, but I can definitely see Seattle loving the kind of player he could become under ideal circumstances and rating him much higher than I would. Jordy Nelson was a bit of a klutz in his early days but now he's one of the league's best and most dynamic red line WRs. JS was the highest ranking assistant executive in Green Bay at the time they drafted Nelson. In the 2nd round. (Additionally, Janis has said that he's modeled his game after Jordy Nelson.)

If the pick was mine to make I'd try like hell to get that 3rd round pick back in a trade down. Gonna be some studs in the 3rd round this year. Not sure who I would draft with our first pick but I will say that among the realistic options Troy Niklas, ASJ, and David Yankey intrigue me the most. I think we might be able to get Yankey at #64 though after his Moffitt-esque combine performance. I would be fine with waiting until the 3rd round for a WR, but we need to add a 3rd round pick first.

Kareem Martin is a fantastic athlete

Yup. I think the Bengals draft him. Very similar prospect to Michael Johnson, who they will likely lose in FA. As far Seattle, I don't think so. Too slow to play LEO, and too small to be Red Bryant. I also think he's kind of a combine hero, awesome combine performance but on tape he has to learn so much in both run defense and pass rush.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Actually, I do like Janis a little. His highlight reel is actually pretty good. It's just that I would want to see more than highlights before rubber stamping approval. Of course, JS and company have done all their homework there so we'll see what they do. And yeah, I know it's highlights and I know it's div II, but watching the guy I feel a lot of conviction that Janis oozes PC/JS as a WR.

In 2012, JS said Russell Wilson was the player they built their draft strategy around. In 2013, it was Luke Willson. I don't know if they take Janis at #32, but wherever he goes, I could see him being a player that Seattle focuses on the way they did for Wilson and Willson.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
Not a first round bump, but Howard Jones off his combine could move to day 2... wouldn't be surprised to see Cleveland take Garappolo with their second first round pick

kigenzun

Reaction score
Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada
A meteoric riser, from Day 3, to the middle of Day 2, or possibly even the bottom of Day 1.
All in a weeks time by rocking the Combine.

kigenzun

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1tk5uiq2 said:
I also vote for Joel Bitonio.

Wrote this today about him: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/joel-biton ... wks-option

Janis would be a classic Seattle pick later on, but I suspect nowhere near the first.

WOW!
Now I feel like... retarded. I'm on the right guy, but behind the curve as usual.
I don't know how you guys do it, but it always seems like you guys are like 2-3 steps ahead of the rest of us.
Nice work Rob!!!

Pure & utter awesomeness on your draft blog again today, as per usual.
Paul Allen should be putting you and kearly on the payroll, as eaglescouts!