Brandin Cooks=Steve Smith

seabowl

Reaction score
After watching the combine and then tape on Brandin Cooks he reminds me a lot of Steve Smith. Speed, aggressiveness and attitude. I know we are probably are looking for a bigger WR but if we took this guy I would not be disappointed if he lasted until 32. Thoughts?

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
While I do like Brandin Cooks, I don't think the Steve Smith comparison is the greatest.

Steve Smith is one of the most unique WRs that has played in the last 20 years. He is a small guy who is really, really long and has a competitive streak that is extraordinarily rare. I don't see Cooks having the ability to win the 50-50 jump balls like Smith has routinely done in his career.

I do think they share the same speed/explosiveness, but Smith (IMO) is a far more effective outside WR than Cooks will be.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Cooks, but would have no fear of him if he went to SF. I'd be more worried about them getting their hands on Odell Beckham, whom (thankfully) most likely worked his way into the top 20.

kearly

Reaction score
Cooks is fast but caught most of his passes underneath. His measurables, build, usage, and college production are extremely similar to Deon Butler in 2009.

General Manager

Reaction score
I don't see it. I don't see us drafting a 5/11 receiver either, not when you have Moncrief, Bryant and Coleman available.

jhern87

Reaction score
I had no idea Cooks was that fast.. I knew he had some mitts that's world class speed right there. If we took him in the first round I wouldn't be upset. I think everyone is getting hung up on these "big receivers" but I wouldn't be surprised if Cooks ends up as the best WR in this years class. Going to be another fun draft.

HawkWow

Reaction score
kearly":1xfgexws said:
Cooks is fast but caught most of his passes underneath. His measurables, build, usage, and college production are extremely similar to Deon Butler in 2009.

Perfect analogy. I spent a lot of time rooting for Butler to make it. He was very, very close. I hope he's doing well.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has read about how Cooks is doing so far but from what I read he is a total stud. I think he is the real deal and will be a good to great pro for al long time.

ctrcat

Reaction score
^ So are many WRs in this watershed year for the WR. Ironically the only one that hasn't met or surpassed first impressions appears to be Evans, supposedly. OBJ has been hurt but glowing reports abound from others.

Cooks would have to fine tune the finer aspects of the position and live every waking second of his life like Mel Gibson in Braveheart to be compared to Smith. Possible, but lofty. Smith had an extra screw lose that made him extra dangerous.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Looks like the Saints got a good one in Cooks. That 25-yard run after the catch for a TD was pretty sweet.

Brandon Coleman, on the other hand, was horrible for them. Both passes to him bounced right off his hands. And one bounced off his hands to a defender for an INT.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I think I will wait till the season starts and ones are all playing ones before I call someone a stud after week 1 preseason.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Cooks is going to be filthy in the Saints offense. Absolutely filthy.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2014":hum4540t said:
Brandon Coleman, on the other hand, was horrible for them. Both passes to him bounced right off his hands. And one bounced off his hands to a defender for an INT.

Reason #1029102912 why I'm happy fans are not GM's