My new draft-crush: WR Allen Robinson - Penn State

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13

• This kid has the measurables at WR that this offense lacks. He's 6-3, 210 and on tape looks to have exceptional speed when he has the football. The more I watch of him, the more I love. Has great hands, excellent release off the line of scrimmage, exceptional route running.. and a few times he had plays that will just leave your jaw on the floor.

I've read some scouts don't see that "FLASH" from him, but I highly disagree. I'm curious to see what 40 times he posts in his workouts because the first WR I thought of when I started to watch some highlight reels on him was a more polished Demaryius Thomas (by which I mean when they each declared for the draft).

This guy is good.. and if he's still sitting there at 32.. I think we should take a long hard look at him.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• To me he looks like a member of the plan B at WR department. Probably middle of the pack in that regard. And I've liked Robinson since way back.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• He doesn't do much for me at our first pick to be honest. If he is around in the second round then yeah but Jordan Matthews is just as good to me, along with Davante Adams,(in fact I like him better). I just don't see the need to spend a first rounder on a guy that doesn't really separate himself from a pack of interesting receiving prospects
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

• Natethegreat wrote:He doesn't do much for me at our first pick to be honest. If he is around in the second round then yeah but Jordan Matthews is just as good to me, along with Davante Adams,(in fact I like him better). I just don't see the need to spend a first rounder on a guy that doesn't really separate himself from a pack of interesting receiving prospects

I really like Adams too, and he probably has the most "upside" of the 2nd tier guys. Matthews wouldn't be a bad option either, he seems to be a more finished product than Robinson or Adams though.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• He does nothing for me at our first pick. Late 2nd and I would be fine with it. To me Kelvin Benjamin or Brandon Coleman are the targets at #32 if you are going with a WR.

When I watch Robinson he doesn't look 6-3 210....I wouldn't be shocked to see 6' 200lbs at the combine. He also doesn't look all that fast. Nothing I saw even in that highlight stands out.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• High points the ball well and makes YAC. Looks like a 5th-Undrafted to me. I loved what he did at 1:11 in that video against Ohio State; he made their entire defense look slow and silly.
    Once upon a time Little Red Manninghood,
    went for a walk in the forest.
    She was never seen again.
    End of story

*NorthHawk's view of SB XLVIII
    rpmischris
    NET Starter

• rpmischris wrote:Looks like a 5th-Undrafted to me.

Last edited by SDHawk on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SDHawk
    NET Veteran

• ImTheScientist wrote:When I watch Robinson he doesn't look 6-3 210....I wouldn't be shocked to see 6' 200lbs at the combine.

Yeah, he's so tiny he bowled over his own Center in the first clip of that highlight reel.
    SDHawk
    NET Veteran

• Yeah not sure were 5th round comes in he is a solid prospect. Its just there are a lot of solid receiving prospects this year and I'm sure we could grab one of them with our second pick. I would definitely use that first pick on KB though, I just doubt he'll be there for us.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

• SDHawk wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:When I watch Robinson he doesn't look 6-3 210....I wouldn't be shocked to see 6' 200lbs at the combine.

Yeah, he's so tiny he bowled over his own Center in the first clip of that highlight reel.

ok....he must be 210 since he "bowled over his own Center".

I like other WR's better at that spot and question what they list him at. Combine is right around the corner. :th2thumbs:
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• rpmischris wrote:High points the ball well and makes YAC. Looks like a 5th-Undrafted to me. I loved what he did at 1:11 in that video against Ohio State; he made their entire defense look slow and silly.

Pah! If he lasts as long as the fifth then I will eat my Seahawks Beanie hat, and post the vid on this thread.

In all likeliness he wont last past the 2nd.

He is my favoured wide receiver this year. Might not have the upside of some other guys but we would get production out of him straight away.

I see a bit of Keenan Allen in him, similar size, clutch plays, not real fast but runs solid routes, gets open a lot and has some nifty moves after the catch.

I too wont be surprised if he measures less than the 6,3 advertised, looks to be about 6,2 but would still be our tallest WR excluding Rice (and assuming Lockette is gone).

Nothing wrong with another Robinson from Penn State.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

• SomersetHawk wrote:
    rpmischris wrote:High points the ball well and makes YAC. Looks like a 5th-Undrafted to me. I loved what he did at 1:11 in that video against Ohio State; he made their entire defense look slow and silly.

Pah! If he lasts as long as the fifth then I will eat my Seahawks Beanie hat, and post the vid on this thread.

In all likeliness he wont last past the 2nd.

He is my favoured wide receiver this year. Might not have the upside of some other guys but we would get production out of him straight away.

I see a bit of Keenan Allen in him, similar size, clutch plays, not real fast but runs solid routes, gets open a lot and has some nifty moves after the catch.

I too wont be surprised if he measures less than the 6,3 advertised, looks to be about 6,2 but would still be our tallest WR excluding Rice (and assuming Lockette is gone).

Nothing wrong with another Robinson from Penn State.

If we traded down from 32 into the mid to late 2nd I would be ok with him. Just not at 32.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• If he has a great combine.. he won't even make it to 32.

And he might be in our division anyway. The 49ers could use a WR as well.

lol at a 5th round - Undrafted grade btw.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Hasselbeck wrote:If he has a great combine.. he won't even make it to 32.

Curious...what WR's do you see being picked before him?
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• ImTheScientist wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:If he has a great combine.. he won't even make it to 32.

Curious...what WR's do you see being picked before him?

As of now.. Watkins, Evans and Lee are locks. I think Benjamin is a 1st rounder as well. Depending on combine/free agency .. Robinson, Adams, Beckham, Landry, Cooks could all find themselves as end of Round 1 WR's.

Remember.. with the new CBA as well, these guys are locked in for 5 years if they're drafted in Round 1.. and they would be cheap. I know WR is probably the deepest position in the draft this year, but if you're San Francisco, Carolina, Seattle and you're looking to stockpile some offensive weapons at an affordable cost while retaining your high priced defensive guys.. looking at WR in the 1st round makes a lot of sense.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I like Robinson but don't be shocked if he runs a surprisingly slow time at the combine.

Great YAC ability but he's shifty in the open field and not a burner. During recruiting speed was considered a slight negative.

Superb character though. If anything might be too nice.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:I like Robinson but don't be shocked if he runs a surprisingly slow time at the combine.

Great YAC ability but he's shifty in the open field and not a burner. During recruiting speed was considered a slight negative.

That's a big reason why I'm curious to see what he runs. On tape he almost looks like one of those guys that plays faster with the ball in his hands.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:I like Robinson but don't be shocked if he runs a surprisingly slow time at the combine.

That's a big reason why I'm curious to see what he runs. On tape he almost looks like one of those guys that plays faster with the ball in his hands.

He looks shifty...but he gets caught from behind a lot....at least in those highlights. Im guessing he runs 4.6.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• I admit that I didn't watch that PSU-OSU game, but doesn't the fact that the game was 63-7 at the time he scored that touchdown in the highlight reel indicate that he was unable to help his team remain even competitive against superior competition?
    "I have an opportunity to close it out, brother. Or, if you want to, you can do it. But, I - I don't mind." - Marshawn Lynch
    Lynch'sLamborghini
    NET Bench Warmer

• Lynch'sLamborghini wrote:I admit that I didn't watch that PSU-OSU game, but doesn't the fact that the game was 63-7 at the time he scored that touchdown in the highlight reel indicate that he was unable to help his team remain even competitive against superior competition?

He had 12 rec for 173 yards and a TD... what more could you ask one receiver to do? He can't play defense, can he?
    SDHawk
    NET Veteran

• rpmischris wrote:High points the ball well and makes YAC. Looks like a 5th-Undrafted to me. I loved what he did at 1:11 in that video against Ohio State; he made their entire defense look slow and silly.

To be fair it was the 3rd string defense.

What we need is Andre Johnson or someone like him. A true 'go' threat on the outside.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• Not an INSANE athlete, but pretty good. Seems like a classic Seahawks WR prospect under this regime.

His TD against Ohio State at 1:10... I had to change my pants after that. It might have been against backups given the score, but damn.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• SDHawk wrote:
    Lynch'sLamborghini wrote:I admit that I didn't watch that PSU-OSU game, but doesn't the fact that the game was 63-7 at the time he scored that touchdown in the highlight reel indicate that he was unable to help his team remain even competitive against superior competition?

He had 12 rec for 173 yards and a TD... what more could you ask one receiver to do? He can't play defense, can he?

No. No, you cannot. Thanks for the additional context.
    "I have an opportunity to close it out, brother. Or, if you want to, you can do it. But, I - I don't mind." - Marshawn Lynch
    Lynch'sLamborghini
    NET Bench Warmer

• If Tate leaves I could see us going after him because of YAC ability. He is also taller. :sarcasm_on: Because being taller makes your better. :sarcasm_off:
    “How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”

- Henry David Thoreau
    bbsplitter
    NET Rookie

• I like this guy a lot but not in 1st rd..Anytime after 1st..the catch against Ohio St @1.25 in clip was awesome...
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Davonte Adams is a stronger and much faster version of Robinson.

I question Robinson's route running and breakaway speed potential.
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran

• ImTheScientist wrote:He does nothing for me at our first pick. Late 2nd and I would be fine with it. To me Kelvin Benjamin or Brandon Coleman are the targets at #32 if you are going with a WR.

When I watch Robinson he doesn't look 6-3 210....I wouldn't be shocked to see 6' 200lbs at the combine. He also doesn't look all that fast. Nothing I saw even in that highlight stands out.

The whites must make him look like a midget....dudes thick..

I like it. Need to see how he runs.

Hawks need a guy 6'2" or bigger and 220+ lbs.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• ImTheScientist wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:He does nothing for me at our first pick. Late 2nd and I would be fine with it. To me Kelvin Benjamin or Brandon Coleman are the targets at #32 if you are going with a WR.

I'd rather draft based on overall talent not height thank you and 6'1 or 6'2 is big enough.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• General Manager wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:He does nothing for me at our first pick. Late 2nd and I would be fine with it. To me Kelvin Benjamin or Brandon Coleman are the targets at #32 if you are going with a WR.

I'd rather draft based on overall talent not height thank you and 6'1 or 6'2 is big enough.

Good for you. I would prefer to draft on size and athleticism.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• ImTheScientist wrote:
    General Manager wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:

Right because size is the only thing that matters, and since when is 6'1 or 6'2 not big enough to play WR at a high level.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• Look kid, I appreciate your passion.....but I don't have the time to waste arguing with you. I also don't care to convince you the hawks desire a big, athletic WR. No need to respond further .
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• ImTheScientist wrote:Look kid, I appreciate your passion.....but I don't have the time to waste arguing with you. I also don't care to convince you the hawks desire a big, athletic WR. No need to respond further .

I agree in a perfect world there would be a WR that fit that criteria but we are picking at 32. And I simply don't agree that Adams or Robinson can't play WR at a high level in the NFL. So we will have to agree to disagree .
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• ImTheScientist wrote:
    General Manager wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:

You're certainly free to your opinion, bro, but drafting purely on size and athleticism is the wrong way to do it. Take a listen to Pete Carroll's Press conference or read the quote below. It might change your views a bit. Pete Carroll's Press conference.

“I was watching Sammy Watkins take the stage as he gets measured today and I think he was like 6-1 and 211 pounds or something like that. What separates that guy? What makes him such a great football player? It’s all the other elements. It’s not his height-weight-speed. It’s all the other stuff that’s part of his makeup, his gifts. Also the experiences he’s had, the coaching he’s had, the opportunity to play with great players....To think there is only certain packages and there's only certain standards. You're going to make mistakes that way. You got to take every one of these guys as individuals and figure them out and make an assessment that way.”

To add to the Allen Robinson conversation. When Pete talks about looking at players who add to their game besides "height-weight-speed", like he mentioned above, I think of Robinson.

This guy is a special player. Well worth the Seahawks first round pick.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Hawks like athletic freaks with their first pick. It's been the trend. Sorry some of you can't see that. I'm sure you also thought Flynn was amazing.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Hawks like athletes. Robinson is an athlete. Sorry some of you can't see that, but doesn't surprise me. Some thought he was 6' 200 pounds on tape, too, which he obviously wasn't. I'm sure you thought Wilson was to small to play QB.
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• We already have three very talented smallish receivers why would we spend a first round pick on another? His tape is good but not awe inspiring, he is a solid second tier receiving prospect nothing more.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

• I'm a big Allen Robinson fan. I don't think he'll last until 64, he's likely a high to mid 2nd rounder but has the chance to crack the end of Round 1. He's got great size and is competitive as hell. He's extremely underrated. Kelvin Benjamin would be great but I suspect he's going to end up going higher for us to even get a shot at him. Robinson would be a great get at 32.
    BC-Hawk
    NET Rookie

• Natethegreat wrote:We already have three very talented smallish receivers why would we spend a first round pick on another? His tape is good but not awe inspiring, he is a solid second tier receiving prospect nothing more.

6'2" 220 lbs. is "smallish?" He'd be the biggest WR on the team if we got him outside of Lockette.
    BC-Hawk
    NET Rookie

• Natethegreat wrote:We already have three very talented smallish receivers why would we spend a first round pick on another? His tape is good but not awe inspiring, he is a solid second tier receiving prospect nothing more.

Harvin-Tate-Baldwin- Those guys are smallish. None over 5'11 or 200 pounds. Allen Robinson has a solid body frame that I think people mistake for smallish because of how easy he looks when he runs. He'll play a solid 220 pounds at 6' 2 and can make cuts and breaks on the ball like a player at 200 pounds.

Against any defense, he can be an every game contributor who gets you catches and yards with his feet. I see a big time effort guy when he plays who can fit into a Seahawks offense that wants to be the best scrambling passing team in the league.

He's a Tier 2 guy but only because the top 3 guys are straight beasts. Watkins is as good a prospect as Julio Jones and AJ Green while Evans and KB are physical freaks with upside/production.

My WR hawks board:
    Tier 1: Watkins, Evans, KB
    Tier 2: Lee, Robinson, Matthews, LSU twins, Adams
    Tier 3: M. Bryant, Coleman, Street, Paul Richardson, (couple others still to work on).

Robinson will go somewhere in the mid-late first, early second rd. He won't be drafted to solve some team's perfect idea for a receiver. They'll draft him because he's a great football player.
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I don't disagree but when you already have a receiving core that is solid why draft another? We need a guy like KB, Evans,Coleman, or Hoffman not saying Robinson isn't/won't be a good receiver we just already have him is all.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

• Natethegreat wrote:I don't disagree but when you already have a receiving core that is solid why draft another? We need a guy like KB, Evans,Coleman, or Hoffman not saying Robinson isn't/won't be a good receiver we just already have him is all.

IMO, it goes back to what Pete Carroll was saying, "To think there is only certain packages and there's only certain standards. You're going to make mistakes that way."

If you want to say that this team doesn't need a receiver badly enough in the first round, I could see that point of view, but I don't agree that if they do want to take a receiver they have to be 6'4 or taller.

Coleman and Hoffman are great players, but outside of Coleman having faster straight-line speed I don't see what have they shown they offer that can't do. Besides being a few inches taller they are roughly the same weight and both play slower (which means more to me than a 40 time).

AR is a all-around, explosive receiver and I don't think you can have enough of those players. If anything Baldwin and Tate showed is that having solid receivers on your roster who are multiple in what they can do is more important than trying to fill it with specific role players.
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Here's the thing...

Seattle probably is only looking at bigger receivers. Because that's a need. More of what we already have is not a need.

If the top big guys are off the board (and I have no doubt they will be), for me they'll not draft a receiver in round one.

We need someone who can dominate the red line, win jump balls consistently and be a force in the red zone. These are all things we lack (apart from the red line, I think Baldwin and Tate do a surprisingly good job there).

If that isn't there, you look at DL depth. Or OL depth. Or a tight end.

We'll see tomorrow, and I'll be the first to come on here and admit I'm wrong if it's the case, that Robinson isn't an explosive athlete.

And whatever Pete says -- he's taken athletes in round one every year except 2011 -- when he drafted an absolute mountain of a man to run block instead.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Here's the thing...

Seattle probably is only looking at bigger receivers. Because that's a need. More of what we already have is not a need.

If the top big guys are off the board (and I have no doubt they will be), for me they'll not draft a receiver in round one.

We need someone who can dominate the red line, win jump balls consistently and be a force in the red zone. These are all things we lack (apart from the red line, I think Baldwin and Tate do a surprisingly good job there).

If that isn't there, you look at DL depth. Or OL depth. Or a tight end.

We'll see tomorrow, and I'll be the first to come on here and admit I'm wrong if it's the case, that Robinson isn't an explosive athlete.

And whatever Pete says -- he's taken athletes in round one every year except 2011 -- when he drafted an absolute mountain of a man to run block instead.

You and I see eye to eye on this one.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• That's fair, English. I'm not one to think you can ever have too much of a good thing. The ability to create yards after the catch is a valuable trait for any receiver. Drafting a player who can be similar to Golden Tate does but at 3 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier ain't a bad thing. Especially at #32 where getting superstar athletes aren't around unless you're drafting projects.

The fact Seattle's drafted three athletes with top-15 picks doesn't surprise me. There's not a team who doesn't draft athletes in the first half of round one. It doesn't surprise me either that they drafted a lesser athlete Like Carp in the late first round - the special athletes go early in the draft.

Ultimately, this is a deep wide receiver draft and the front office might see a first-round receiver as a lesser need, assuming they re-sign Tate. AR isn't my top player I want to see drafted in the first round, but he's worth the selection, imo.
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I agree that a big receiver would be great to have, I happen to think that guys like AR and Jordan Matthews are that type of player, but if we go with an OG or another position in Round 1 a guy that you might see the Hawks look at in Round 4 is Martavis Bryant from Clemson. 6'4" 211 lbs. (likely dropped weight to run fast tomorrow, I think he plays at a bigger weight) and is a great jump ball receiver. He's a sleeper that I could definitely see Pete and JS eyeing during the draft.
    BC-Hawk
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:43 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information