I'm flip flopping on 1st round pick

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
A week or so ago I posted how Seattle should take a WR/TE in round one. But after watching the superbowl the game is won in the trenches. Now my position is that Seattle needs to solidify the interior of the O-line or add a young DT to add depth/youth to an older more expensive D-line. Below are players I believe should be around when Seattle picks in the first round.

Round one:

Zach Martin,OG,ND- Zach Martin has a well rounded game with his ability in pass protection and his physicality in the run game. He could play Tackle in the NFL but for me he is a potential all-pro guard that would be an instant upgrade at either OG spot for Seattle.

Xavier Su'a-filo,OG,UCLA- filo is a athletic mauler that would bring a different level of physicality and athleticism to the interior O-line that has been inconsistant against the toughest competition. Filo would upgrade the run game as well as having experience at tackle to deal with the speed,length, and physicality of the NFC west DT's C. Cambell/M.Brockers.

Antonio Richardson,OG/OT,Tenn- I like Richardson as a Seahawk becuase until Giacomini leaves Richardson could play guard. i think the experiment with Sweezy has run its course he can't hold up against the bull rush or open up holes against ARZ or SF without the cut blocks. Richardson would bring the size and athleticism that they thought J. Carpenter had when they drafted him.

Aaron Donald- Seattle would welcome his unique ablities and versatility to their front seven and would get the most out of him in my opinion.

Brent Urban,DT,Virgina- Urban would be tough to deal with in any scheme. But with Seattle and the edge rushers they have he would be a nightmare. Urban's length,size, and athleticism has the potential to be disruptive like J.J. Watt.

Rashede Hageman- Could be a Red Bryant 2.0 for Seattle if he's their at the end of the first.

Timmy Jernigan,DT,FSU- not impressed with his conditioning but in Seattle I think he would play well in the DT rotation. Jernigan could play the 3-tech as well as some nose guard in passing situations.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
I'm actually doing the same thing. I don't know what to think right now. hageman, urban are 2 guys I like pending on who's there, my 2nd round pick is going to be Anthony Johnson dt out of lsu, high ceiling, athletic big man, under achiever with all the skills, screaming for pc to coach him up. Fiedorowicz slips to the 4th or we trade up to snag him. Not big on drafting oline high but I wouldn't be mad either.

McGruff

Reaction score
4 names for you to consider . . .

Jordan Hill
Jesse Williams
Michael Brooks
Greg Scruggs

I'd pick one of those guys on the inside and save our 1st round pick for a big, explosive offensive weapon.

Jville

Reaction score
i think the experiment with Sweezy has run its course he can't hold up against the bull rush or open up holes against ARZ or SF without the cut blocks.

Sweezy is a starter and logged more offensive and special teams snaps than any other offensive lineman in 2013. In fact, I think the man is just getting warmed up.

Then there is the second (red shirt) interior conversion project .... Jared Smith. He possesses nice 10 3/8 inch hands and athletic movement abilities that eclipse those of all other rookie linemen from last year's class.

I'm looking forward to additional conversion projects. Can't wait to see who they find for Cable this year. All in all .... I like the approach they have taken in the aftermath of the 2011 draft.

Another conversion project with a priority free agent rookie and late round selection(s) would put a smile on my face. :D

kf3339

Reaction score
McGruff":29ymuzrw said:

Jordan Hill
Jesse Williams
Michael Brooks
Greg Scruggs

I'd pick one of those guys on the inside and save our 1st round pick for a big, explosive offensive weapon.

That's kind of how I see it as well. I think Scruggs would have been a real performer this year if he hadn't been injured. Hill just needed to get stronger which I assume will be the case by training camp. Brooks could make it on the roster depending on who we keep and/or replace with our DL free agents.

The wild card for me is Williams. No one has heard anything about his improvement in lower body strength, or how his knees are doing at this point. I really had high hopes for him when he was drafted. We should know more by this fall.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
McGruff":26vyns7x said:

Jordan Hill
Jesse Williams
Michael Brooks
Greg Scruggs

4 names for you to consider..
byrant, bennet, mcd brothers.

all of which either might be too expensive to keep long term, or could be leaving.

a guy like hageman/urban have a much higher ceiling than any of those names you listed off, or at the very least hedges against any of those guys getting hurt/not panning out. with the way we rotate lineman, we need to keep reloading what won us the superbowl in the first place imo.

in all fairness this is me playing devils advocate, im not exactly against taking a wr, if benjamin falls to us i dont think i could pass on him, and depending on how the boards pan out i might risk waiting on taking coleman in the second, i go back and forth on that though.

im pretty against taking a TE in the first, value will never reach where we take one that early in the offense we run imo.

mikeak

Reaction score
OG for sure

Let's face it the only team that truly threatened us was the 49ers. They did a great job containing and pressuring RW. I do think this is a situation that requires us to counter them (and well ST Louis sure did keep breaking free as well)

If we open up the play book we beat AZ so despite the loss my focus is on teams with great front players like we see in the NFC

Give RW and we can't be stopped....

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
mikeak":8tcr8hxq said:
OG for sure

Let's face it the only team that truly threatened us was the 49ers. They did a great job containing and pressuring RW. I do think this is a situation that requires us to counter them (and well ST Louis sure did keep breaking free as well)

If we open up the play book we beat AZ so despite the loss my focus is on teams with great front players like we see in the NFC

Calais Campbell is the match up nightmare that comes to my mind for Sweezy,Unger, and Carpenter. Campbell at 6'8 300+ is just to much physically for Sweezy and Unger to keep out of R. Wilson's face long enough for a play to develop. Carpenter's play I don't remember as much against ARZ but I don't think he is dependable enough in pass pro. Seattle should'nt just bet that R. Wilson will escape and save himself everytime like he did last year get some big powerfull interior lineman that can hold their ground to protect the investment.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":39bdl1c3 said:
mikeak":39bdl1c3 said:
OG for sure

Calais Campbell is the match up nightmare that comes to my mind for Sweezy,Unger, and Carpenter. Campbell at 6'8 300+ is just to much physically for Sweezy and Unger to keep out of R. Wilson's face long enough for a play to develop. Carpenter's play I don't remember as much against ARZ but I don't think he is dependable enough in pass pro. Seattle should'nt just bet that R. Wilson will escape and save himself everytime like he did last year get some big powerfull interior lineman that can hold their ground to protect the investment.

Calais Campbell is a match up nightmare for anybody.

I still want a TE like ASJ. He's a big target that can help us with our red zone woes, could be a quick outlet for Russell on passing plays, and can supplement the offensive line. Win/Win in my book.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
ivotuk":11hed9zm said:
Lynch Mob":11hed9zm said:
mikeak":11hed9zm said:
OG for sure

Calais Campbell is a match up nightmare for anybody.

I still want a TE like ASJ. He's a big target that can help us with our red zone woes, could be a quick outlet for Russell on passing plays, and can supplement the offensive line. Win/Win in my book.

Red zone woes and Russell Wilsons struggles all happend against the same type of teams(NO,ARZ,STL,CAR and SF). Teams with tough DT's that the interior struggles to handle. The outside rushers fill the rush lanes to constrict the pocket and RW is neutralized in the passing game. Seattle's offense needs cut blocks to be at its best in the run game they do not really knock players off the LOS in the interior. When the 9ers took a yard back to prevent the cut block in the NFCCG Seattle struggled to knock the 9ers off the new LOS. Beast mode does alot on his own after contact I would like to have some better interior line play to keep Beast mode or RW clean and open some holes on LOS. Add a player with high level skills and ability in the draft to elevate the level of competition and play on the O-line.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
TE is a lateral move at best and that's being optimistic, Miller is a stud in the context of what we do in our offense. We've turned all these undrafted types into competent payers, why not meet in the middle and draft a couple olineman in the 4th-5th round. Plus I trust their ability to develope oline more than I trust their ability to evaluate them, middle rounds will give them better physical options to choose from while still keeping the risk minimal.

purpleworld

Reaction score
Here is my guess on the 1st round pick:

With Clemons possibly a cap hit and Schofield a Free Agent....

Ryan Shazier, LB Ohio State

Got to keep the D young and strong! :)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I've been hoping for an OG in the 1st. It looks like there's some pretty good talent there that might be available. Look at the New Orleans model. They pay 25% of their cap to Brees and his two guards. We have to improve interior protection for Russell and getting a legit mauler on the inside wouldn't hurt either. I'm tired of the conversion projects. Let's get a dude who is actually built for the position.

A DT would be an interesting pick, too! For those who point out Scruggs and Brooks.... those guys are "just guys" right now. It'd be like avoiding receivers because we have Lockette. Maybe they'll develop, but the odds of them playing up to a 1st-round level are slim.

I always felt taking a TE in the 1st would be a waste. Just my opinion. That's too high for a position that you use like a swiss-army knife. The receiving talents of the best TEs aren't going to be maximized here. I love ASJ as much as anyone, but if he disappeared in UW's up-tempo run offense, then what's going to happen with the Seahawks' slow-tempo run offense? We're going to burn a first so he can help run-block for us and grab two catches a game?

Jville

Reaction score
Interesting perspective on offensive guard. I have not considered the possibility that Seattle might abandon it's recent model in favor of copying another model.

mikeak

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":2jkish20 said:
Red zone woes and Russell Wilsons struggles all happend against the same type of teams(NO,ARZ,STL,CAR and SF). Teams with tough DT's that the interior struggles to handle. The outside rushers fill the rush lanes to constrict the pocket and RW is neutralized in the passing game. Seattle's offense needs cut blocks to be at its best in the run game they do not really knock players off the LOS in the interior. When the 9ers took a yard back to prevent the cut block in the NFCCG Seattle struggled to knock the 9ers off the new LOS. Beast mode does alot on his own after contact I would like to have some better interior line play to keep Beast mode or RW clean and open some holes on LOS. Add a player with high level skills and ability in the draft to elevate the level of competition and play on the O-line.

I do agree with this.

There is one area where RW's size is an issue and it is in the 5 - 10 yard downfield passing zones - ie issues in the redzone. When the pocket crumbles from up-front then he has more of an issue getting the ball over guys for catches in the middle of the field. Improving the interior line should help with this and help the running game further

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
DavidSeven":153ax9p8 said:
I've been hoping for an OG in the 1st. It looks like there's some pretty good talent there that might be available. Look at the New Orleans model. They pay 25% of their cap to Brees and his two guards. We have to improve interior protection for Russell and getting a legit mauler on the inside wouldn't hurt either. I'm tired of the conversion projects. Let's get a dude who is actually built for the position.

A DT would be an interesting pick, too! For those who point out Scruggs and Brooks.... those guys are "just guys" right now. It'd be like avoiding receivers because we have Lockette. Maybe they'll develop, but the odds of them playing up to a 1st-round level are slim.

I always felt taking a TE in the 1st would be a waste. Just my opinion. That's too high for a position that you use like a swiss-army knife. The receiving talents of the best TEs aren't going to be maximized here. I love ASJ as much as anyone, but if he disappeared in UW's up-tempo run offense, then what's going to happen with the Seahawks' slow-tempo run offense? We're going to burn a first so he can help run-block for us and grab two catches a game?

Good stuff. Also, let's not forget Wilson suffered a shoulder injury late in the year. Most people are suggesting vs TB. If you recall in that game Mccoy was taking the whole interior of the line out behind a woodshed on just about every play.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Jville":3qf4sw92 said:
Interesting perspective on offensive guard. I have not considered the possibility that Seattle might abandon it's recent model in favor of copying another model.

Not sure if you're kidding around, but I don't mean to say Seattle should copy NO's model. Just highlighting the fact that interior protection (and maintaining passing lanes) probably provides a bigger benefit to QBs like Brees and Wilson than others. RW is also good at escaping pressure off the edge but often gets blasted up the middle. If they can still find a DT/OT conversion project that can hold up like a Pro Bowl Guard, then obviously that would be more ideal...

SDHawk

Reaction score
Mr.Hawkbrah":3flz3l9l said:
I trust their ability to develope oline more than I trust their ability to evaluate them

This sums it up nicely.

That, and the fact that OG talent is average at best in this draft.

I'm ok with our guard depth with Alvin Bailey, James Carpenter, JR Sweezy and Bowie. Theres also the possibility we bring back Lem who can swing to Guard as well.

Here's an idea out of left field... How would you guys feel about trading Unger for a 2nd rounder and using the cap space to sign someone like Alex Mack?

Jville

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2e0tzla3 said:
Jville":2e0tzla3 said:

Not sure if you're kidding around, but I don't mean to say Seattle should copy NO's model. Just highlighting the fact that interior protection (and maintaining passing lanes) probably provides a bigger benefit to QBs like Brees and Wilson than others. RW is also good at escaping pressure off the edge but often gets blasted up the middle. If they can still find a DT/OT conversion project that can hold up like a Pro Bowl Guard, then obviously that would be more ideal...

No hidden meaning. I have viewed the offensive line as a work in transition over the past two seasons. I do recognize a difference in preference as represented by the contrasting make up of Carpenter and Sweezy. For me this is an exercise of anticipating a next move that supports their blocking schemes and offensive model ..... as I understand it.

I've simply offered an alternate view and nothing more than that.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
SDHawk":5sziiqe1 said:
Here's an idea out of left field... How would you guys feel about trading Unger for a 2nd rounder and using the cap space to sign someone like Alex Mack?

I have been a big fan of Mack since he came out in the draft. I wanted us to trade back to the middle of R1 to take him (which Cleveland ultimately did).

He's going to be spendy. I don't see that kind of trade happening with Unger. Although I'd consider Mack a straight up upgrade to Max who is not shabby either. I have no idea if he'd even be a fit in our scheme or not. But likely we'd simply have to cut Max and eat guaranteed money and then spend more just to get Mack. It would not be a cap friendly move.

Maybe if we were to move Unger for an R3/4 pick that might work. A trade would negate a dead money hit. But R2 is out of the question.

And truth be told, I'm not sure that's the kind of message Seattle wants to be putting out there. Seattle has good retention and reputation for caring for their own. We ask/demand a lot from our players and that is palatable when people feel like the organization is going to be fair and supportive of them. This move doesn't do that at all. From a rosterbation standpoint, it's intriguing. But from a real world/real people/real locker room perspective it sounds like we'd be poisoning the well.

Ultimately, I don't see Unger as a problem. He's an asset. It would be out from left field though definitely. Mack has always been a player I coveted.

Latest posts