Trade Up

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Unlikely, considering FO history, but if they did, do you see anyone enticing enough they just might do it?

kigenzun

Reaction score
I'd like to trade back...BUT...
Unfortunately, nobody ever wants the last pick on the first day enough to want to trade up to #32. That's reality. :|

Personally, I'd love to trade back and get say #40 & #103, or #48 & #90, or some such...

HOWEVER, after witnessing the Greatest Total Team Effort in Super Bowl History... :thirishdrinkers:

Today, I am wondering if it might not be such a bad idea to trade #32 & #64 to get, say, Kelvin Benjamin at #17-20. :th2thumbs:
Let's face it, we need a future difference maker at the X, and its definitely worth considering a possible 'trade up strategy' such as this, in view of our current depth to 53, future team salary cap restraints, and Especially, if Rice & Tate both leave in the coming months.

After all, remember, that's how Jerry Rice was acquired for 2 scrubs (Trevor Matich, C, BYU & Ben Thomas, DE, Auburn) after the 49ers first Lombardi...

Here's the proof quoted from Wiki: In the first round of the 1985 NFL draft, Dallas had the 17th selection and San Francisco had the last (as Super Bowl champions from 1984). 49ers coach Bill Walsh reportedly sought Rice after watching highlights of Rice the Saturday night before San Francisco was to play the Houston Oilers on October 21, 1984. On draft day (April 30, 1985), the 49ers traded its first two picks for New England's first-round choice, the 16th selection overall (the teams also swapped third-round picks as part of the deal), and selected Rice before, as some report, the Cowboys were intending to pick him.

CAN YOU SAY SEAHAWKS DYNASTY?
LET'S TAKE A PAGE OUT OF THE GREAT BILL WALSH'S PLAYBOOK, AND BEAT THE NINERS & PANTHERS TO THE PUNCH!!!
LET'S TRADE UP AND GET KELVIN BENJAMIN!!! :3:

drrew

Reaction score
Kelvin Benjamin is a physical freak. Kelvin Benjamin is a mediocre wide receiver. I think people looking at his measurables are in for a surprise when he doesn't go until the 3rd round or so.

If they are trading up for a WR it better be because one of Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, or Marquise Lee have fallen into an area they can trade up into.

Outside of those three, I think Paul Richardson is the next most likely to be a very very good NFL WR. He'd be a great pick in the 60s.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
You guys act like a receiver has never improved before. I distinctly remember Tate struggling with rout running for a while and didn't Kearse have the dropsies as well? I absolutely guarantee KB will not last past the first round with the potential he has. The fact we even have a shot at him at 32 is a testament to how strong the draft class is for receivers this year(and overall really).
I would be ecstatic if he lasted to our pick and I imagine Pete and John would be too(especially considering how much Pete likes receivers like him). In fact I think this might be the year we would make a move to go get the receiver they want. It not like they have been afraid to make a move for someone they like before( Harvin).

OP
OP
bbsplitter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Natethegreat":ei5sk27h said:
You guys act like a receiver has never improved before. I distinctly remember Tate struggling with rout running for a while and didn't Kearse have the dropsies as well? I absolutely guarantee KB will not last past the first round with the potential he has. The fact we even have a shot at him at 32 is a testament to how strong the draft class is for receivers this year(and overall really).
I would be ecstatic if he lasted to our pick and I imagine Pete and John would be too(especially considering how much Pete likes receivers like him). In fact I think this might be the year we would make a move to go get the receiver they want. It not like they have been afraid to make a move for someone they like before( Harvin).

Yes, they did have those problems, and look at the respective positions where they were drafted. Kearse WASNT drafted. He is a physical freak but no where near a developed WR. Our O-Line allowed the 3rd most sacks this year. Drafting David Yankey or Xavier Sua Filo would have a much bigger impact on improving a talent depleted o line. Not drafting KB to sit behind Kearse, Baldwin, and Harvin. I'd be fine with him in the second but I doubt teams let him last past mid 2nd. And to "guarantee" anything at this point is silly. The combine hasnt even happened yet. What if he breaks his leg on the 40?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Bottom line is its a chance to get top shelf talent with the last pick in the first(assuming he lasts which is doubtful anyway). A man with his talents won't last till the second let alone the third round mentioned earlier thats just absurd. You can pick up good lineman interior lineman late into the draft however its far tougher to pick up elite receivers with the kind of measurables he has.

drrew

Reaction score
Natethegreat":7dpgqlhn said:
Bottom line is its a chance to get top shelf talent with the last pick in the first(assuming he lasts which is doubtful anyway). A man with his talents won't last till the second let alone the third round mentioned earlier thats just absurd. You can pick up good lineman interior lineman late into the draft however its far tougher to pick up elite receivers with the kind of measurables he has.

I don't care too much about measurables, I care about production, and if you look at the top ten NFL receivers this past season, while you have your early first round picks in Calvin Johnson and AJ Green you also have the following

Antonio Brown 6th rd 195th pick
Alshon Jeffery 2nd rd 45th pick
Brandon Marshall 4th rd 119th pick
Vincent Jackson 2nd rd 61st pick

It is not 'far tougher' to pick up an elite receiver than it is an elite lineman early in the draft. Brandon Marshall and Vincent Jackson are every bit the extreme size WR that Benjamin can only dream of becoming, and they went 119th and 61st respectively.

To me, Kelvin Benjamin screams Jonathan Baldwin, and that's not a player I waste a roster spot let alone a draft pick on.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
drrew":2qp8wvkf said:
Natethegreat":2qp8wvkf said:

I don't care too much about measurables, I care about production, and if you look at the top ten NFL receivers this past season, while you have your early first round picks in Calvin Johnson and AJ Green you also have the following

It is not 'far tougher' to pick up an elite receiver than it is an elite lineman early in the draft. Brandon Marshall and Vincent Jackson are every bit the extreme size WR that Benjamin can only dream of becoming, and they went 119th and 61st respectively.

To me, Kelvin Benjamin screams Jonathan Baldwin, and that's not a player I waste a roster spot let alone a draft pick on.

Will you now please point to the number of first round WRs that are impact guys in the last 10 years? Not really fair to point out a few instances of it happening. Fact is a 1st round WR is more likely to be a stud than a 2nd, 4th, or 6th round guy.

drrew

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1lkv6594 said:
Will you now please point to the number of first round WRs that are impact guys in the last 10 years? Not really fair to point out a few instances of it happening. Fact is a 1st round WR is more likely to be a stud than a 2nd, 4th, or 6th round guy.

I'm not sure what that the numbers are going to help your cause as much as you think it will.

Your top 15 receivers in receiving yards this past season:
2nd round supplemental pick
6th rd 195th
1st rd 2nd
1st rd 22nd
1st rd 3rd
2nd rd 45th
1st rd 3rd
6th rd 205
2nd rd 49th
2nd rd 36th
4th rd 119th
3rd rd 87th
1st rd 24th
2nd rd 61st
3rd rd 95th

davidonmi

Reaction score
If Breno goes maybe u trade up for a RT, other than that I prefer staying at 32 or trading back

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Doing a statistical analysis of what round awesome WRs go is kind of pointless.

Clearly, the odds of getting a good WR are much improved if you take him in round 1 versus wading through the sea of washouts in rounds 2 through 7. But averages and quality aren't comparable year to year. Some drafts are deep where you get a lot of good WRs not in round 1. Other years are so lean that even the day 1 WRs are garbage.

This looks like a very good year. I'd expect the averages to be heavily skewed where a lot of day 2/3 WRs end up being quality pros.

Ultimately, I expect we'll have to go earlier than later. Certainly before #64 overall. If we're not retaining Rice, then we need a specific type of WR to replace him. Generic depth at the position won't necessarily benefit us.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
drrew":20ql25aq said:
Natethegreat":20ql25aq said:

Look they have 7 rounds for a reason. We can all pick out late round prospects that turned out very well. The fact still remains that every GM out there values elite receivers higher than elite interior lineman. You don't see a whole lot of guards and centers being snatched up in the first round for a reason.
I could waste my time going through rosters pointing out every late round interior lineman that are starting out there right now but its pointless. You don't like KB I get it.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Arguing elite physical talent doesn't more often than not go sooner rather than later involves no logic or common sense. Not To mention our FO completely disagrees with you that spew that stuff, they got irvin and Carpenter higher than people "expected" just cause those guys are physically superior.

Idk about trading up only cause we need Draft Capitol for cheap rookies but how about another "reach"... Let's say kb goes too early and we pick up Coleman who could go in the 50s.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Mr.Hawkbrah":25css0kq said:
Idk about trading up only cause we need Draft Capitol for cheap rookies but how about another "reach"... Let's say kb goes too early and we pick up Coleman who could go in the 50s.

Agreed. I don't like the lack of picks later.

But I also don't regard players as being reaches, if it's expected that we can't get him with our next available pick. All teams have different needs and players don't go simply by some assumed ranking. If Coleman is a late 40s early 50s overall kind of guy, and we like him a lot -- then taking him at 32 if we have to isn't really a reach.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3r7y9jxr said:
Mr.Hawkbrah":3r7y9jxr said:

Agreed. I don't like the lack of picks later.

But I also don't regard players as being reaches, if it's expected that we can't get him with our next available pick. All teams have different needs and players don't go simply by some assumed ranking. If Coleman is a late 40s early 50s overall kind of guy, and we like him a lot -- then taking him at 32 if we have to isn't really a reach.

I just think for what little we need there's no need especially when considering the position we want will have guys like coleman available. If wrs were thin and we were desperate I think trading up could be warranted. Although that could all change if they felt kb had some it factor.

I've warmed up to trading back but sometimes I think they try to get too cute and would prefer to get exactly what they want and not risk it. Clearly I'm in no position to judge what they do though.

And I totally agree on your reaching explanation, I put that in quotes so certain other people in this thread spared me their insight.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Mr.Hawkbrah":282y3ot8 said:
I've warmed up to trading back but sometimes I think they try to get too cute and would prefer to get exactly what they want and not risk it. Clearly I'm in no position to judge what they do though.

It will require a guy we probably would like very much falling for a team to be willing to trade up to 32. We can want to trade all we wish, but it takes someone else to agree to it.

Also, considering that NE is picking ahead of us and very likely will trade back if they stay to form -- the market for trade partners could be pretty slim.

chris98251

Reaction score
And I totally agree on your reaching explanation, I put that in quotes so certain other people in this thread spared me their insight.

So are you trying to create a problem or just don't understand condesending remarks? Thats about as inflammatory as you can get without calling out a person, not something that will win you many freinds.