Jared Abbrederis

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Jared Abbrederis
Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:24 am
  • I'm really excited about this deep WR class.

I'm surprised that Abbrederis has not received very much draft chatter. 6'2" 190, redshirt senior, originally a walk-on QB, apparently. I first took notice to him when I was watching clips of Russell Wilson at Wisconsin...he seemed to really have a good chemistry built with Wilson. The TD pass off of playaction in the 2011 Rosebowl was vintage Wilson (see 0:42 mark in http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jared-abbrederis-vs-oregon-2011/).

Here are the last 3 years of his production at U.Wisc (including his 2011 year with Russell Wilson at the helm); source Wikepedia. I was surprised that his production was actually better in 2013...maybe they relied on him more after Montee Ball left.
    rec yds avg TDs
    2011 Wisconsin 55 933 17.0 8
    2012 Wisconsin 49 837 17.1 5
    2013 Wisconsin 78 1,081 13.9 7

His route running seems really good. Over and over again, I see him getting wide open; he excels at double moves (see 3:50 mark in the Ohio game, 1:48 in the Penn State game--where the QB was criminally inaccurate). He has also shown that he can catch a tough throw in traffic.
    http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jared-abbrederis-vs-ohio-state-2013/
    http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jared-abbrederis-vs-penn-state-2013/

Pros:
    Polished routes
    Not an ounce of diva http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120913aac.html
    Good hands
    Not afraid of contact

Cons:
    OK speed, but not elite speed. Some scouting sites have him clocked at 4.52, and projected at R3 (for comparison sake, Baldwin at 5'10" clocks in 4.48 at his pro-day and Kearse at 6'1" 4.50 at combine).
    Decent Height at 6'2", but not a huge target per se.
    Just turned 23 yo, he's a redshirt senior...could his treads be running thin?

I like him, but is he enough of an upgrade to Kearse to warrant using a draft pick? I would not be sad if Seahawks drafted this guy in round 4 or 5, particularly if we pick-up ASJ in round 1.
    HunnyBadger
    NET Starter

Re: Jared Abbrederis
Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:09 am
  • He's received a lot of chatter. But usually, it's in the form of 'Plan B if our guy doesn't drop' conversations.

He pales to other bigs, simply because there are more dynamic/athletic prospects in this draft. He is very slight of build, which hurts his comparative value to the dozen or so 6'2"+ receivers that top 205.

I see a lot to like about him. But he's not going to be in the same conversation as other day 1 prospects who look the part of game changing prospects.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:48 am
  • I absolutely love this guy because he is a clutch receiver. I hope we find room for him on the roster because he will be a difference maker and I think 3rd downs would be where he shines.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:05 pm
  • Found this on Jared with some blurbs about the other top wide receivers

"9. Jared Abbrederis, Wisconsin: Arguably one of the most underrated prospects in college football, at least prior to a 78-catch season that included a 207-yard explosion versus Ohio State (and potential first-round CB Bradley Roby). Abbrederis can line up wherever a team might need him and find a way to get open. He doesn’t jump off the tape like, say, Evans or Watkins … and yet, the ball keeps finding its way into his hands, despite Wisconsin’s shaky QB play."

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/02/nfl-draft-2014-mike-evans-top-10-wide-receivers/?sct=obnetwork
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:10 pm
  • I'd be mildly surprised if Wilson didn't have some good insight into Abbrederis. Don't know if he'd bang the drum for him or not, but he is certainly going to be in a position to give some good information on him.

Obviously in his one season with Wilson, he was Russell's favorite receiver.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:37 pm
  • Abbrederis is clutch. I have watched him for four years at wisc and he is AWESOME. He has been our only decent receiver last year, so teams have focused on him, and he still gets open. plus, our QBS at wisc have been very mediocre last couple years after RW. RW and Abbrederis had a lot of chemistry at wisc. I thinks he would be a great third rd pick.
    Stuje1
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:55 pm
  • You know the draftniks will spot the Wisconsin connection and pair him up with Seattle in their mocks.

I just wonder if we'd even be talking about him if not for the fact that he caught balls from Wilson.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:05 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:You know the draftniks will spot the Wisconsin connection and pair him up with Seattle in their mocks.

I just wonder if we'd even be talking about him if not for the fact that he caught balls from Wilson.

We would, just not as prominently.

He's a late day 2 WR. Right in line with the kinds of WRs we've picked in the PC/JS era. Certainly, he'd be in the discussion. Particularly if we don't go WR early.

And I suspect he'd be linked to us even if he played at Penn State. His background, and unique abilities (route running/speed) would paint him in a favorable light in terms of what we understand about how we grade talent. His determination to grow and hone his craft screams of the type of prospect Seattle favors.

The fact is, Abbrederis has been productive since Wilson left too. Despite a real lean couple of seasons QB wise at UW-Madison.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:43 pm
  • I liked him when Scott Tolzein was throwing the ball to him.
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:44 pm
  • Here's some cool info from wikipedia

Abbrederis earned first letter while playing in all 13 games and starting two games. Finished the season tied for second on the team in TD receptions (3), fourth in receiving yards (289) and fifth in receptions (20). Jared had a season-high 79 receiving yards, including a career-long 74 yard touchdown catch, on two receptions and returned one kickoff for 52 yards against Indiana on November 13, 2010. After the season, Abbrederis was named to Rivals.com's Freshman All-Big Ten Team.

Abbrederis earned his second letter, starting in all 14 games at wide receiver. Finished the season ranked third in the country, averaging 15.8 yards per punt return, second-best in a single season in Wisconsin history (min. 15 returns). Led the team with 933 receiving yards, the fifth-most in school history and most by a sophomore. Jared's eight receiving touchdowns were second on the team and tied for the fifth-most in one season at UW. His 55 receptions was also second on the team and seventh-most in school history. He finished second in the Big Ten and 13th nationally with 1,999 all-purpose yards. Recorded a 60-yard punt return TD against Indiana on October 15, 2011. His 346 all-purpose yards in the Rose Bowl vs. Oregon were one yard shy of Ron Dayne's school record. Following the 2011 season, Abbrederis was named honorable mention All-American punt returner by SI.com. He was also awarded a scholarship.

Abbrederis scored two touchdowns on September 1 against Northern Iowa. Had a career high 147 receiving yards on September 22 against UTEP. Following the season, Abbrederis was named consensus first-team All-Big Ten.

Abbrederis was named to the preseason watch lists for the Biletnikoff Award, Paul Hornung Award, fourth-team All-American (Phil Steele), first-team All-Big Ten (Athlon, Phil Steele and Sporting News). Abbrederis recorded two catches for 122 yards and two touchdowns on August 31 against UMass. Caught eight passes for 62 yards and a touchdown against Tennessee Tech on September 7. In November it was announced that Abbrederis was named a finalist(one of three) for the Burlsworth Trophy which recognized student-athletes who begain their college football career as a walk-on.[2] A month later he was named the Burlsworth Trophy winner.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Abbrederis
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:26 pm
  • Abbrederis came in at 6' 0 7/8" at the Senior Bowl, 189 lbs... given the size of the WR group, drafting him, unless they play on moving on from Tate and use free agent money (or another pick) on a taller receiver, might not be the plan.
    TheWebHead
    NET Rookie

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:11 am
  • His height was a surprise. Although by accounts at practice, he's among the best performers thus far.

This year may be a year where you throw out the measurables a bit. There are plenty of good players out there who just aren't prototype size this year. Lots of unique quality.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:37 am
  • Just to throw another name in here, Josh Huff 5'11.5 and 210lbs, has been tearing up the Sr Bowl practices so far. His game is basically a bigger Golden Tate but more explosive. Also he played through injuries, vs UW it looked like he had a badly sprained ankle and he would return, only to come bad to catch a 60 yard td on his first play. He's always arguably the best blocking WR in this years draft.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:26 am
  • Stuje1 wrote:Abbrederis is clutch. I have watched him for four years at wisc and he is AWESOME. He has been our only decent receiver last year, so teams have focused on him, and he still gets open. plus, our QBS at wisc have been very mediocre last couple years after RW. RW and Abbrederis had a lot of chemistry at wisc. I thinks he would be a great third rd pick.

The problem is we dont have a 3rd round pick this year. Is he worth a 2nd / will he drop to R4 or do we trade up? Our picks seem to be at a premium this year.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:13 am
  • ^^ fwiw, our 2nd rounder is one pick away from the 3rd round. Also, we all should know by now that if the Seahawks like a player enough and they think he won't be there later then they'll pull the trigger regardless of perceived value. Not to mention every team's big board can be pretty varied in it's rankings of any given player. And in fact, it almost seems certain anymore that PC and Co WILL ABSOLUTELY nab up a player projected to go later and the usual .NET comments will fly - "I liked such and such but just not in that round, terrible pick".

On another note, I'm with TheWebHead up there - I'd love to see them add some size to the group. Big and physical is our MO everywhere else but there. But there's no telling which way Pete would go on a WR - You know he loves size but he looks for a playmaker regardless of size first and formost - atleast that's my impression.
    Shane Falco
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:33 am
  • Shane Falco wrote:
    But there's no telling which way Pete would go on a WR - You know he loves size but he looks for a playmaker regardless of size first and formost - atleast that's my impression.

That's why I think he might go for Robert Herron at the bottom of the 2nd. Golden Tate's replacement?
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:29 pm
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:
    Stuje1 wrote:Abbrederis is clutch. I have watched him for four years at wisc and he is AWESOME. He has been our only decent receiver last year, so teams have focused on him, and he still gets open. plus, our QBS at wisc have been very mediocre last couple years after RW. RW and Abbrederis had a lot of chemistry at wisc. I thinks he would be a great third rd pick.

The problem is we dont have a 3rd round pick this year. Is he worth a 2nd / will he drop to R4 or do we trade up? Our picks seem to be at a premium this year.

He's definitely worth a 2nd. It's just a matter of how much importance the Hawks are going to place on the wr position this draft.
    HuskerHawk
    NET Rookie

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:54 am
  • Pick up Abby or Borland and you guys will pretty much have all of wisc behind you especially if tate leaves in free agency since for some reason people are still pissed here about the hail mary no idea why /shrug not even a playoff game and it got the real refs back much sooner than may have happened otherwise.

Anyway from watching Abby he is one of the best route runners in the draft period its why he was able to excel with freaking Stave throwing to him for the most part he has good hands and makes incredible catches though every once in a while he will let an easy one drop not often but it happens. He also has very deceptive speed he doesn't look fast but somehow constantly gets behind the D, if we had RW instead of sunshine throwing to him this year he could have easily had 20 TDs not even joking that is how wide open he manages to get and then be either over or under thrown its a constant guessing game which will happen. Abby is also very good at high pointing the ball and plays much taller than his height would suggest. I think he could be absolutely deadly in a slot receiver role. Overall I am guessing he will go early 3rd so 32nd in the 2nd round would not be much of a reach.

With a competent qb this year he would likely have been a consensus AA and be going higher, highlights this year include flat out embarrassing Bradley Roby at OSU to the tune of 200 yards on a supposed 1st rounder and of course making Stave look marginally competent. Other then that I don't think I have ever seen him get flat out chased down, he is also a very good punt returner and was one of the more dangerous ones in the nation last year, which could be quite useful if tate ends up walking. As I'm guessing it will be between keeping DB or tate and I expect DB will be the one kept.
    randomation
    NET Rookie

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:30 pm
  • Virtually anyone who follows the Badgers generally concur that Abbrederis will be a starting WR in the NFL. I just have a feeling that he's going to be higher on our board than expected.

He just has a knack for getting open. You can see he works at his craft. He doesn't have Tate's elusiveness. But I agree, keeping Tate is going to mean letting someone else go. Not sure who that would be. If we do let Tate walk, it enhances our ability to keep Baldwin and someone else. I do expect we'll go for an X receiver early in the draft. Jared isn't suited for that. To get Jared, we'll have to trade around to the early/mid third round or take him at the end of round 2. Kind of hard to imagine we'd double dip at WR in rounds 1 and 2.

His versatility and special teams quality will elevate him. I don't know if it would come to pass, but Wilson's recommendation could go a long way. That is if he would endorse him. They did only play for a single season and that was 2 years ago. If he gets below 4.5, he may not be around for us to take him at 64. Not a lot of burner prospects this year.

He, like Coleman, really suffered with poor QB play. Jared was wildly more productive this year. But Coleman was superior last year and played hurt this season. Stavi is Joe Montana compared to Gary Nova at Rutgers.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out this year. Abbrederis isn't the physical prospect we typically gravitate to. But his improvement in route running year to year and if he has sufficient speed -- he could be in the day 2 mix.

It's worth noting too, that Seattle is short on their 9-10 pick quota. The easiest way to gain picks is to move your #1. And we've been pretty consistent with moving our first round picks.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:38 am
  • Abbrederis in the NFL = Jermaine Kearse. (That's a compliment). I think he'll be a really good hands receiver who will give teams a lot of bang for the buck as a #3 WR. I'd be all for Seattle acquiring him, except that he doesn't really address Seattle's need for a WR that scares the shit out of DC's. If it's a late round pick, I'd definitely want Seattle to take him, but not if it means ignoring the need for another gamebreaking WR.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:46 am
  • kearly wrote:Abbrederis in the NFL = Jermaine Kearse. (That's a compliment). I think he'll be a really good hands receiver who will give teams a lot of bang for the buck as a #3 WR. I'd be all for Seattle acquiring him, except that he doesn't really address Seattle's need for a WR that scares the shit out of DC's. If it's a late round pick, I'd definitely want Seattle to take him, but not if it means ignoring the need for another gamebreaking WR.

Hypothetical question here (cause they're fun), but had Kearse had his lazer eye surgery back in college, and assuming he could catch the ball as well as he can now, where do you see him being drafted?
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:21 pm
  • kearly wrote:Abbrederis in the NFL = Jermaine Kearse. (That's a compliment). I think he'll be a really good hands receiver who will give teams a lot of bang for the buck as a #3 WR. I'd be all for Seattle acquiring him, except that he doesn't really address Seattle's need for a WR that scares the shit out of DC's. If it's a late round pick, I'd definitely want Seattle to take him, but not if it means ignoring the need for another gamebreaking WR.

Kearly, I love ya, but no way. Abby is a poor man's Larry Fitzgerald. Like other guys have already said, he is pretty much open every play, has great hands/high pointing ability, and very good after the catch. Joel Stave is SO BAD.
    HuskerHawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:53 pm
  • SomersetHawk wrote:
    kearly wrote:Abbrederis in the NFL = Jermaine Kearse. (That's a compliment). I think he'll be a really good hands receiver who will give teams a lot of bang for the buck as a #3 WR. I'd be all for Seattle acquiring him, except that he doesn't really address Seattle's need for a WR that scares the shit out of DC's. If it's a late round pick, I'd definitely want Seattle to take him, but not if it means ignoring the need for another gamebreaking WR.

Hypothetical question here (cause they're fun), but had Kearse had his lazer eye surgery back in college, and assuming he could catch the ball as well as he can now, where do you see him being drafted?

With the production he had, probably 2nd or 3rd round. He had good measurables. It's just the drops were... horrific.

I think Abbrederis deserves a late 2nd round grade, but he'll probably go in rounds 3-5. The history of the draft suggests a very real bias against white WRs. As far as I know, a white WR has never been a 1st round pick, and only a small handful have even gone in the 2nd round. Even Steve Largent was a 4th round pick. Wes Welker? Undrafted. Jordy Nelson was a late 2nd rounder but in retrospect he would not escape the top 15.
    Last edited by kearly on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:57 pm
  • HuskerHawk wrote:
    kearly wrote:Abbrederis in the NFL = Jermaine Kearse. (That's a compliment). I think he'll be a really good hands receiver who will give teams a lot of bang for the buck as a #3 WR. I'd be all for Seattle acquiring him, except that he doesn't really address Seattle's need for a WR that scares the shit out of DC's. If it's a late round pick, I'd definitely want Seattle to take him, but not if it means ignoring the need for another gamebreaking WR.

Kearly, I love ya, but no way. Abby is a poor man's Larry Fitzgerald. Like other guys have already said, he is pretty much open every play, has great hands/high pointing ability, and very good after the catch. Joel Stave is SO BAD.

Kearse actually had more college production than Abbrederis did, has almost identical measurables and had the same knack for getting open. Kearse is developing into a really good football player.

I was among the very first to pine for Abbrederis, he was on my radar in 2011. I think he is a very good player, but he's not the Sidney Rice type of player that Seattle needs to find to replace Sidney Rice. I would LOVE to have him on our roster as a depth chart WR though.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:03 pm
  • With the greatest respect, I'm not sure how anyone can compare a freak of nature like Larry Fitzgerald to Jared Abbrederis.

He's a middle of the road receiver. If he lands on a prolific passing offense like Denver and New England, I expect he'll put up big yards. But he's not someone I'd pine for in Seattle. We need some true size outside, a jump ball/red zone specialist with wheels.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:27 pm
  • Abbrederis also has concussion concerns.

Ryan Swope anyone? I remember last draft, I was screaming every round for the Seahawks to take Ryan Swope... It baffled me that Swope didnt go in the first couple rounds but it was later made known that the kid had legitimate concussion concerns. IIRC, I think his career at Zona ended before the season even began after taking yet another hit to the head in the preseason.
    SDHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:40 am
  • TheWebHead wrote:Abbrederis came in at 6' 0 7/8" at the Senior Bowl, 189 lbs... given the size of the WR group, drafting him, unless they play on moving on from Tate and use free agent money (or another pick) on a taller receiver, might not be the plan.

I was just going to say that I watched the senior bowl practice on T.V. and he looked small not the big target Russell Wilson needs.
    Lynch Mob
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:09 am
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:With the greatest respect, I'm not sure how anyone can compare a freak of nature like Larry Fitzgerald to Jared Abbrederis.

He's a middle of the road receiver. If he lands on a prolific passing offense like Denver and New England, I expect he'll put up big yards. But he's not someone I'd pine for in Seattle. We need some true size outside, a jump ball/red zone specialist with wheels.

You are really underestimating both how fast Abby is and how bad Stave is, JA was pretty much the sole reason we were even in the game against OSU he put up 200 yards on a CB that is expected to go in the first round Bradley Roby, he did this with a qb throwing to him who shouldn't be starting in high school let alone at Wisconsin. I absolutely love the Badgers but Stave is just so freaking awful he has a great arm but 0 consistency. Its pretty much a crapshoot as to whether the ball will go over the receiver's head hit the dirt far behind him or by some miraculous happenstance be semi catchable. Stave pretty much single handedly lost us the PSU game, PSU completely sold out to stop the run 9+ in the box it was absurd he couldn't hit any of the multiple open recievers the entire first half. If we had Hack throwing abby has 150+ by halftime and the badgers cruise to an easy win. This is basically just to underscore how bad Stave is.

Back on topic I expect JA to slip to the third round possibly even 4th due to height and lets be honest being white he will still likely run a 4.4/4.5 but there is a stigmatism in the nfl with the exception of welker and of late decker there are very few good caucasian receivers, as such I wouldn't be surprised to see him possibly drop all the way to the 4th. Personally I was thinking if the hawks trade out of the 1st and pick up some mid round picks he may be available in the 3rd. Since the cap is really freaking tight on you guys I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that happen, and in that case I think JA would be a steal in the third round, he is sneaky good and I think a team will be pleasantly surprised when they see what he can do hopefully the hawks pick him would be very cool to see RW throwing to him again.
    randomation
    NET Rookie

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:57 pm
  • Abbrederis will be available anywhere from 2-4th round, primarily because of size and (lets face it) skin color. Dude is FAST. Track star in high school and I've seen him straight run by guys like Darquez Dennard and Roby. Kearse was good in college, but he was capable of getting shutdown. JA gets shutdown only because his qb is incapable (see video. Seriously what the hell @1:50). No, I don't think he solves the need a big target WR, but I would be very disappointed if we passed on him cause he is that good imo. Anyway, that's just my two cents.
    HuskerHawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:20 pm
  • randomation wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:With the greatest respect, I'm not sure how anyone can compare a freak of nature like Larry Fitzgerald to Jared Abbrederis.

You are really underestimating both how fast Abby is and how bad Stave is, JA was pretty much the sole reason we were even in the game against OSU he put up 200 yards on a CB that is expected to go in the first round Bradley Roby, he did this with a qb throwing to him who shouldn't be starting in high school let alone at Wisconsin. I absolutely love the Badgers but Stave is just so freaking awful he has a great arm but 0 consistency. Its pretty much a crapshoot as to whether the ball will go over the receiver's head hit the dirt far behind him or by some miraculous happenstance be semi catchable. Stave pretty much single handedly lost us the PSU game, PSU completely sold out to stop the run 9+ in the box it was absurd he couldn't hit any of the multiple open recievers the entire first half. If we had Hack throwing abby has 150+ by halftime and the badgers cruise to an easy win. This is basically just to underscore how bad Stave is.

Back on topic I expect JA to slip to the third round possibly even 4th due to height and lets be honest being white he will still likely run a 4.4/4.5 but there is a stigmatism in the nfl with the exception of welker and of late decker there are very few good caucasian receivers, as such I wouldn't be surprised to see him possibly drop all the way to the 4th. Personally I was thinking if the hawks trade out of the 1st and pick up some mid round picks he may be available in the 3rd. Since the cap is really freaking tight on you guys I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that happen, and in that case I think JA would be a steal in the third round, he is sneaky good and I think a team will be pleasantly surprised when they see what he can do hopefully the hawks pick him would be very cool to see RW throwing to him again.

My point was I didn't understand the comparison to Larry Fitzgerald and to be fair -- if he's going in round four, how is that not middle of the road?
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:23 pm
  • Bring back BMW?
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:26 am
  • I think the Abbrederis/Tate discussion is right on point. Particularly as it pertains to how this team moves forward.

There is a lot of discussion revolving around cap space and who is coming due. And as fans, we all look at the draft as a method of fixing your team. So naturally, we still look at the draft in terms of getting what we don't have.

But this team is stacked. It's deep. It has few holes. We aren't going into the draft trying to fix our team. Our team is fixed. It should be about maintaining the excellence we have.

And central to that sustained excellence, is spending money wisely. It is not a sin to spend big contracts on players who are special. Wilson. Thomas. Sherman. Harvin. Those are all special players.

Where teams get into cap trouble, is when they have to pay good players their full market value. Tate. Baldwin. Miller. Wright. Irvin. Giacomini. These guys are good productive players. But the delta between them and a good draft choice is manageable.

Tate is going to command 5m or more next year. Abbrederis is essentially a Tate if I've ever seen one. That's a huge savings even in round 2 over what we'd pay Tate. At some point, we have to identify the players we can reload with rookie talent. The most assured way to do that, is to identify the players we can't replace and pay them. Then replace the ones we can.

Taking an Abbrederis in round 2 would be like getting Abbrederis, Baldwin and Michael Bennett instead of simply resigning Tate. The difference in salary between Jared and Golden is going to be close to 4.5m per year. That would be a huge reload in my estimation. And definitely worth the spend of a #64 overall.

Would it improve the team? No. It would probably be a regression initially. But this team is going to have to pick and choose which second contracts it opts for if they want to keep the core of the team intact. That has to start this year, not next. I would heavily endorse selecting Abbrederis even if we were to select an X receiver in the first round (a vacancy we all expect coming). Because it would mean allowing the team to reload with similar quality to what we have. And at this stage of our team's rebuild -- we have to start looking at maintenance and staying young. Not simply adding what we don't have (which is very little).

And at #64 overall for a team this good, that's a very tangible win. Abbrederis is worth the pick at #64 for us. He is very similar to Tate in most respects. There are few prospects in this entire draft class who are so similarly matched.

The fact will be, we will have already made the determination on whether we keep Tate or not well before the draft. We won't select Abbrederis if we resign Tate. We will reload elsewhere. But if he walks in UFA, then I'd book that selection in the second the moment the ink dries. The tea leaves should be pretty easy to read come March.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:12 pm
  • Starting to really come round to the idea of taking Jared in the second. He's the most consistently open player on tape. I can acknowledge similarities to Kearse but he's a better route runner.

He offers much less of a gamble than one of the 6,3+ guys that might be available to us, and plus Russ has never really had that big guy to go get the 1v1s so I'm sceptical about seeing it as a need.

Of course, we don't know what we've been missing out on and Russ looked pretty good throwing to big guys in the pro bowl, but whatever way you look at it, the Coleman's, Benjamin's,
    Matthew's etc. are all going to be riskier picks and may likely cost more than Jared.

If we were going to go for a big WR in this draft then the surest chance we'd have is trading up for Evans, and we're not going to do that. I just think the others incur too much risk, unless Robinson measures in at the 6,3 advertised.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:44 pm
  • There are soooo many WR's I like in this draft; early round prospects, mid-round prospects, and late round prospects. The WR's in this draft are like ice cream, everyone likes ice cream, its just what flavor do you prefer.

Kelvin Benjamine & Davante Adams = Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
    Allen Robinson = Mint
    Brandon Coleman & Martavis Bryant = Cookies N' Cream
    Odell Beckham Jr. = Mint Chocolate Chip
    Jared Abbrederis & Paul Richardson = Strawberry
    Michael Campanaro = Pistachio
    cover-2
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:11 pm
  • Jermaine Kearse is the best comparison.
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:15 am
  • Abby posted a 4.44 40 can't find the 10 split

Barely getting to see adams or Abby they keep talking during the start of drills and not showing the As seen KB drop a few though /shrug

Hsrd to tell though since it seems like some of the QBs are off.
    Last edited by randomation on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
    randomation
    NET Rookie

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:20 am
  • randomation wrote:Abby posted a 4.44 40 can't find the 10 split

Solid time.

4 in the bench press was pretty abysmal though. Not that it really matters.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:26 am
  • I like Abby too, but there is no gaurantees That we will for sure have a chance to draft him at the value spot our front office has him graded at.

It scares me to let Tate walk in FA'cy with the thought "we will just draft Abby to replace him," then the draft comes around and he goes earlier than expected or someone trades up in front of us in a later round to scoop him Up. It's too risky IMO.

I'd rather just resign Tate, and go find a freak WR in the draft (KB, ME, BC, MB). We won the Super Bowl last year without one though (rice was injured) so how important is it really to our success? Maybe we can take DL and OL this draft and wait next year for that WR if the right one doesn't fall to us this year. I also would be happy to have Rice back on a reasonable one year prove it deal.

If Abby does fall to us though in a reasonable round I would love to grab him, he would be great depth not only this year but for years to come in the event DB leaves, or kearse leaves, or if there are any injuries.
    HawkStar22
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:27 am
  • Garaplo or however you spell it has actually been very impressive throwing more impressive then Bortles so far.

Only "freak" wideout I really like is Evans and he will be gone long before 32 not impressed with KB he made the game winning catch but he also had a lot of early drops in that fsu game he only had 50 receptions last year its not like he was insanely productive and that was with the best qb in the game throwing to him. If JS were to let tate walk and go for abby I would expect them to slightly reach and take him 2nd round but I think because of how deep this draft is abby may go 4th to 5th personally I still like the idea of trading down to 2nd round early for a 3rd rounder pick up abby 3rd round and a tackle ideally xavier or yankey in the 2nd but I don't know how long they will even last so it would be a gamble.

Personally I would rather keep DB over Tate I'm afraid someone is going to offer Tate an absolute ton of money, I'm thinking the browns honestly they draft manziel and bookend tate with gordon and I think they offer him a lot more then the hawks can match.
    randomation
    NET Rookie

Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:21 am
  • If you want another Tate, but faster and more dynamic, you go get Cooks.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:29 am
  • I would put money on San Fran taking Cooks if they don't move up in the draft.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:37 am
  • CPHawk wrote:If you want another Tate, but faster and more dynamic, you go get Cooks.

Cooks is off the board by the time the hawks pick after running a 4.3 not even a question.
    randomation
    NET Rookie

Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:41 am
  • randomation wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:If you want another Tate, but faster and more dynamic, you go get Cooks.

Cooks is off the board by the time the hawks pick after running a 4.3 not even a question.

How many WRs do think will be taken before us? There are great WRs this year, but teams have other needs. He could definitely be available.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:53 am
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:
    randomation wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:If you want another Tate, but faster and more dynamic, you go get Cooks.

How many WRs do think will be taken before us? There are great WRs this year, but teams have other needs. He could definitely be available.

San fran will take him if he is still there at their pick, Evans and Watkins will go for sure before him but that 4.3 with his production numbers he will likely be in the top 5 taken kb might go before him and Adams. I really wish there was someway to get Evans but it would take a kings ransom :(
    randomation
    NET Rookie

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:52 am
  • I wonder if there's some explanation, as in injury, for the 4 bench reps. That's low to the point of where you'd be better off faking an injury to withdraw from taking part in the bench. Beckham had 7 reps, also on the low side, Matthews at the top for WRs at 21
    TheWebHead
    NET Rookie

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:35 pm
  • TheWebHead wrote:I wonder if there's some explanation, as in injury, for the 4 bench reps. That's low to the point of where you'd be better off faking an injury to withdraw from taking part in the bench. Beckham had 7 reps, also on the low side, Matthews at the top for WRs at 21

No idea I was surprised at that also, will be interested to see his pro day though, was kind of funny how one of the commentators basically drooled over his route running though.
    randomation
    NET Rookie

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:24 pm
  • Player A: 5'10", 189, 4.3s forty, record breaking college production
    Player B: 5'10", 182, 4.3s forty, record breaking college production

The first is Brandin Cooks, the second is Deon Butler. Butler went 3rd round in a much weaker WR draft.

As far as the Golden comp, Cooks would need to add another 13 pounds of muscle for the size comparison to fit, and watching his tape I really doubt Cooks weighed 189 when he was playing football games for the Beavers. He looked like DeAnthony Thomas out there.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:52 pm
  • TheWebHead wrote:I wonder if there's some explanation, as in injury, for the 4 bench reps. That's low to the point of where you'd be better off faking an injury to withdraw from taking part in the bench. Beckham had 7 reps, also on the low side, Matthews at the top for WRs at 21

Doug Baldwin only had 6 bench reps at his pro day, so I dont think it'll mean much on the field.
    Killa Kam
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:55 am
  • I like this guy. Looks like a complete player to me and obviously has proved he has NFL speed. He definitely has ST potential (and not just as a returner). Trying to take his chemistry with RW out of the equation, but that certainly doesn't hurt. Honestly, I'm not sure SEA will reach on a tall WR unless they really think he can play. They gambled on Chris Harper last year, and he's about the same height as Abbrederis.

Assuming you re-sign Tate, that means retaining Baldwin may be too costly in 2015. Taking Abbrederis this year may be a nice hedge. If the FO is looking two years ahead (which I'm sure they are), this might be a great pick as I think Abbrederis has the potential to give you a lot of Baldwin has.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:09 am
  • kearly wrote:I think Abbrederis deserves a late 2nd round grade, but he'll probably go in rounds 3-5. The history of the draft suggests a very real bias against white WRs. As far as I know, a white WR has never been a 1st round pick, and only a small handful have even gone in the 2nd round. Even Steve Largent was a 4th round pick. Wes Welker? Undrafted. Jordy Nelson was a late 2nd rounder but in retrospect he would not escape the top 15.

Matt Jones was drafted at #22 by Jacksonville in '05.

"At the NFL Combine, Jones, measured in at 6' 6" tall, weighed 242 pounds and recorded scores during the tests that showed speed and explosive ability that had not been seen before in a player of his size. These scores earned him the nickname "The Freak" from the coaches and athletes in attendance." (wiki)
    shiva1008
    NET Practice Squad

Next

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information