Johnny Manziel may have some flaws

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Johnny Manziel may have some flaws
Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:54 pm
  • but damn he is a competitor. His passion and competitive drive is unlike something I have ever seen, only comparable to Brady.
    His arm, his legs, his intangibles will be the reason he is a superstar at the next level. Maybe I am falling victim to him, but I am praying he doesn't go to STL.
    The one thing is he HAS to change his running style, learn how to slide and get out of bounds.

He's the next Favre, just a little shorter and a better runner. He'll throw his picks, he'll make boneheaded plays, but he'll also be one of the best playmakers over the next decade, Favre obviously being a better passer
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Re: Johnny Manziel may have some flaws
Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:22 pm
  • I read in SI that when Ryan Leaf weighed in 30 pounds overweight at the 1998 NFL combine, he posed for the scouts in attendance by flexing his muscles. It was a sign that Leaf covered up his work ethic with false bravado.

I just can't see Manziel being that same guy. He strikes me as a guy who works his ass off and HATES losing. In that sense, I think the Brady personality comp comes pretty close.

Brett Favre is a good analogy. I think in some ways Manziel is better. But at the same time, Manziel has some issues that could potentially be mortal weaknesses at the next level. His mobility won't dominate as much at the next level and his arm is "just good enough" in college. Will it still be good enough in the pros the way he takes chances with the ball?

That said, I am praying the Rams stay away from Manziel. If they traded that #2 pick for a ransom (Clowney) and still got Manziel at #13 I'd be devastated. He's got HoFer level intangibles and better tools to work with than Tom Brady. If he goes anywhere after #2 he's a steal.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:44 pm
  • He's good, but I think trying to throw the ball in cold weather would do him in.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:35 am
  • He's too short to make it in the NFL. He's no Wilson and Wilson out works just about everybody. Manziel will be to busy having fun.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:53 am
  • ivotuk wrote:He's good, but I think trying to throw the ball in cold weather would do him in.

his hands are huge so I don't think that would be an issue. His armstrength is spotty, but his accuracy and touch are definitely there
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:57 am
  • kearly wrote:I read in SI that when Ryan Leaf weighed in 30 pounds overweight at the 1998 NFL combine, he posed for the scouts in attendance by flexing his muscles. It was a sign that Leaf covered up his work ethic with false bravado.

I just can't see Manziel being that same guy. He strikes me as a guy who works his ass off and HATES losing. In that sense, I think the Brady personality comp comes pretty close.

Brett Favre is a good analogy. I think in some ways Manziel is better. But at the same time, Manziel has some issues that could potentially be mortal weaknesses at the next level. His mobility won't dominate as much at the next level and his arm is "just good enough" in college. Will it still be good enough in the pros the way he takes chances with the ball?

That said, I am praying the Rams stay away from Manziel. If they traded that #2 pick for a ransom (Clowney) and still got Manziel at #13 I'd be devastated. He's got HoFer level intangibles and better tools to work with than Tom Brady. If he goes anywhere after #2 he's a steal.

yep, he's not going to be a prototypical cam newton that can make every throw on the field. But his accuracy and touch will allow him to distribute the ball around the field. And he will be able to extend plays using his legs. He will throw interceptions, maybe even lead the league in picks once or twice. But I believe he can make up for that
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:05 am
  • Much craftier than Griffin, but I think their careers will travel similar paths (injury). I hope tonight's performance forces the Rams to grab him in the 2 spot. He will put butts in seats, entertain and win football games..but the stuff he gets away with now will get him killed at the next level and I doubt he will be making any dramatic changes...he wouldn't be Johnny Football if he did.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:55 am
  • Better than Farve? No. He's a little taller Doug Flutie, which isn't a bad thing. Had Doug been 5'11, he would have never had to play in the cfl before getting a real shot at the NFL.

Mark it down though, Manziel is playing on the big stage, but a Qb who is similar and maybe better has been playing out of the limelight in Wyoming. Brett Smith.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:08 am
  • When this guy gets nailed a few times outside the pocket by guys bigger and just as fast..That small body
    is going to be out more and more weeks the longer he plays...
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:49 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:When this guy gets nailed a few times outside the pocket by guys bigger and just as fast..That small body

Like Russell?
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:51 am
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:When this guy gets nailed a few times outside the pocket by guys bigger and just as fast..That small body

Like Russell?

Russell has some bulk , Manziel is like a stick and runs looking for contact.

I am glad this thread popped up, I watched the game last night .

It was my first time watching Manziel , I was impressed . Most of his passes were right on the money

He looked to have plenty of arm , and his speed is lights out. Not sure how long he can hold up in the nfl with his small frame though.
    Russellmania3
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:40 am
  • Bevell will draft him for Minnesota at #8.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:35 am
  • Johnny starts every game having to think his team is 3 touchdowns behind, that defense is just that bad. He plays uphill in every game, and just keeps making plays.
    And I love his quick release. When he sees it, the ball is just gone.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:50 am
  • I think he's the definition of a boom or bust prospect. I just can't see there being any middle ground with him. He's either going to resurrect or destroy a franchise. For the record, I think he's going to boom.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:30 am
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:When this guy gets nailed a few times outside the pocket by guys bigger and just as fast..That small body

Like Russell?

RW has a bigger frame and is smarter and tougher..Sure he could get hurt but JM the way he plays is different..Let me put it this way,if he's playing the Hawks-goes off into one of those runs in a frenzy ,heads out 10 yrds and here's Kam and Earl..What happens??? :thfight7:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:36 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:

Like Russell?

RW has a bigger frame and is smarter and tougher..Sure he could get hurt but JM the way he plays is different..Let me put it this way,if he's playing the Hawks-goes off into one of those runs in a frenzy ,heads out 10 yrds and here's Kam and Earl..What happens??? :thfight7:

It could happen to any QB on the move. I doubt his coach is going to be a fan of him being that reckless.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:49 am
  • He's been a great college player but I guess I'm in the minority here. I'd be really happy if the Rams wasted a 1st round pick on Manziel because I just don't see him having sustained success, especially against the defenses in the NFC West.
    mbtitleist
    NET Rookie

Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:47 pm
  • whether he succeeds or fails in the NFL or something in between, it's safe to say if he starts 16 games, he will lead the NFL in fumbles by a considerable margin. He's incredibly loose with the football and often exposes himself to big hits despite a small and skinny frame.
    TheWebHead
    NET Rookie

Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:48 pm
  • NEVER doubt Johnny Freaking Football.
    GCrow
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:22 pm
  • Manziel will be a top five pick.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:29 pm
  • Manziel just does not have the mindset to last in the bigs, IMO. I love this kid. He is everything you love about college football but is WAYYY more Vick than Wilson. Guys like Manziel (and Griffin) seldom make the necessary adjustments required to last at the pro-level....and it's hard to blame them. When something worked well enough to get you drafted in the 1st rd, you're likely going to stay true to that mentality...especially when the going gets rough (see Jake Locker).
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:36 pm
  • Manziel is going to be completely off some teams boards, and top-10 on others. IMO, you absolutely have to have legitimate team leadership before you bring Manziel aboard - you don't want him to be the strongest voice in the locker room, at least not yet. I'm not sure who those teams are, the right team could get an incredible playmaker at QB. The wrong team could end up with the Atlanta Falcon's version of Brett Favre.
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:08 am
  • Russellmania3 wrote:

It was my first time watching Manziel , I was impressed . Most of his passes were right on the money

He looked to have plenty of arm , and his speed is lights out. Not sure how long he can hold up in the nfl with his small frame though.

5' 11" - 206lbs (25 year old)

6' 1" - 210lbs (21 year old)

One has bulk, one is a stick??????

Is there any thought that a 21 year old might add a little size and bulk over the next 4 years?????
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:42 am
  • DTexHawk wrote:
    Russellmania3 wrote:

Is there any thought that a 21 year old might add a little size and bulk over the next 4 years?????

6'1 210!??? No, is toon next to him at the opening during the summer at nike, he's 5'11 about 190.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:17 am
  • CPHawk wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:
    Russellmania3 wrote:

6'1 210!??? No, is toon next to him at the opening during the summer at nike, he's 5'11 about 190.

Both are from their current rosters by their teams. And only one side "stretches" the truth. ;)

Using your "estimated" 190, you don't think a 21 year old can add 15-20 pounds of "bulk" over the next 4 years? And is there really only 16 pounds difference between bulk and a stick?

Just for the record, Wilson was listed at 5'11" and 191 lbs when he was 21 at NC State in 2009.

http://northcarolinastate.scout.com/a.z?s=178&p=8&c=2&nid=657&yr=2009
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:10 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:
    Russellmania3 wrote:

Never seen Johnny in person, but I was talking to Luke Joeckel's mom (2nd overall pick, LT from aTm) after the Jaguar game and somehow Johnny came up... She said "He's a really nice kid, but he's not 6 foot..no way." Pretty funny actually. Nice lady.
    Follow me on Twitter: @realchrisbrown5
    Backpack Rich
    ChrisB Bacon
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:03 am
  • DTexHawk wrote:
    Russellmania3 wrote:

I call BS, no way he is 6-1 210
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:06 am
  • CPHawk wrote:Better than Farve? No. He's a little taller Doug Flutie, which isn't a bad thing. Had Doug been 5'11, he would have never had to play in the cfl before getting a real shot at the NFL.

Mark it down though, Manziel is playing on the big stage, but a Qb who is similar and maybe better has been playing out of the limelight in Wyoming. Brett Smith.

Flutie is a good comparison, I never said he's better than Favre. I just said his creativity is similar to favre. Favre has a better arm and Johnny better legs. Now that I think about it Flutie is the better comp.
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:25 am
  • davidonmi wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:
    Russellmania3 wrote:

Read the next few posts.

That's what was listed on the rosters this year. And pretty sure both sides stretch things.

Once again, Wilson at the same age (21) was listed at 5'11", 191 lbs. Do you think that was 100% accurate?

Do you thing Manziel can put 10-20 pounds on in the next 4 years?
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:58 pm
  • DTexHawk wrote:
    davidonmi wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:
    Russellmania3 wrote:

Read the next few posts.

That's what was listed on the rosters this year. And pretty sure both sides stretch things.

Once again, Wilson at the same age (21) was listed at 5'11", 191 lbs. Do you think that was 100% accurate?

Do you thing Manziel can put 10-20 pounds on in the next 4 years?

he absolutely can put on 10-20 pounds, I'm just saying that # us a stretch. I don't care if it's official or not
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:17 am
  • CPHawk wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:
    Russellmania3 wrote:

Hmmm!

Guess he's still growing. ;)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... fl-combine

"The former Texas A&M quarterback many expect to be taken in the top three picks in the 2014 NFL Draft, came in at 5-foot-11 3/4, and weighed 207 pounds, according to NFL Media analysts Gil Brandt and Daniel Jeremiah.

Manziel's height is among NFL scouting concerns about his pro potential, although he is widely considered one of the top three quarterbacks in the draft, along with Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and Central Florida's Blake Bortles.

Manziel's hand size, also important to NFL scouts for quarterback evaluations (particularly smaller quarterbacks), measured large as advertised at 9 7/8 inches."
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:38 pm
  • DTexHawk wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:
    Russellmania3 wrote:

Hmmm!

"The former Texas A&M quarterback many expect to be taken in the top three picks in the 2014 NFL Draft, came in at 5-foot-11 3/4, and weighed 207 pounds, according to NFL Media analysts Gil Brandt and Daniel Jeremiah.

Manziel's height is among NFL scouting concerns about his pro potential, although he is widely considered one of the top three quarterbacks in the draft, along with Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and Central Florida's Blake Bortles.

Manziel's hand size, also important to NFL scouts for quarterback evaluations (particularly smaller quarterbacks), measured large as advertised at 9 7/8 inches."

Oh good, I hope the texans throw away the #1 pick on him, so Bradley has his choose of the 2 best players in the draft.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:01 pm
  • davidonmi wrote:but damn he is a competitor. His passion and competitive drive is unlike something I have ever seen, only comparable to Brady.
    His arm, his legs, his intangibles will be the reason he is a superstar at the next level. Maybe I am falling victim to him, but I am praying he doesn't go to STL.
    The one thing is he HAS to change his running style, learn how to slide and get out of bounds.

He's the next Favre, just a little shorter and a better runner. He'll throw his picks, he'll make boneheaded plays, but he'll also be one of the best playmakers over the next decade, Favre obviously being a better passer

I know he's the next Favre--he said so himself. He's also the next Russell Wilson, for the same reason.
    WILL PHILIP RIVERS TEST RICHARD SHERMAN'S SIDE OF THE FIELD?
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/09/10/ ... the-field/
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:57 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:

Hmmm!

Oh good, I hope the texans throw away the #1 pick on him, so Bradley has his choose (choice) of the 2 best players in the draft.

I wonder if you are any better at player evaluation or guessing height/weight of someone you stood next to.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:05 pm
  • I thought when asked an alcohol question by a press member, he was less than stellar in his response. He did not inspire at all. Essentially it was an I won't do that anymore when I am a pro type answer. Yeah, right.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:24 pm
  • DTexHawk wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:

Hmmm!

Oh good, I hope the texans throw away the #1 pick on him, so Bradley has his choose (choice) of the 2 best players in the draft.

I wonder if you are any better at player evaluation or guessing height/weight of someone you stood next to.

I said 5'11, he was in fact 5'11. Good for him he gained some weight. Is still take Bridgewater over him, I like my Qb to not lose the games for my teams.

What's funny is Texan fans want a new Qb, because they hated how the old one throws passes that shouldn't be thrown, that cost the team. Manziel has made a living off of throwing passes he shouldn't, and getting away with it in college. That won't be the case in the NFL.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:47 pm
  • To be fair Manziel is 5-11 and 3/4 you don't round down you round up so for all intents and purposes he is 6 feet. Not that I think it matters anyway.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:09 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:To be fair Manziel is 5-11 and 3/4 you don't round down you round up so for all intents and purposes he is 6 feet. Not that I think it matters anyway.

Technicalities, Nate. Haters gonna hate.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:43 pm
  • I like Manziel I think he will be a solid QB in the NFL certainly better than a lot of the QB's that have gone in the first round over that past few years, but he's not the best QB available this draft .
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:51 am
  • I don't have Manziel, I just don't see him anywhere near as NFL ready as Wilson was. IMO he's about where Kaep was coming in, but being the #1 pick he won't benefit from a year of learning like Kaep did. Also weight isn't the end all be all. He might be the same weight, but Wilson is ripped and built like a NFL RB, JM is built like a HS basketball player.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:07 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information