ASJ Wins Mackey Award

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Jace Amaro and Eric Ebron both had significantly larger impacts on games this year than ASJ did. I don't understand this one.

Sefarian-Jenkins: 33 catches, 413 yards, 12.5 ypc, 7 touchdowns
Amaro: 98 catches, 1240 yards, 12.74 ypc, 7 touchdowns

Huh?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Throwdown":1gfur6a7 said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000296497/article/mackey-award-goes-to-washingtons-austin-seferianjenkins

Deserved? He kind of had a down year to me this year.

Me too....I was underwhelmed but maybe my expectations were just too high for him.

thaima1shu

Reaction score
I think it's more of a 'career achievement' award. Just like when Eifert won it last year over both ASJ and Ertz, when both had better numbers than him.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Doesn't make sense. There were other TEs like the aforementioned Amaro and Ebron who, at least statistically speaking, had far better years.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Maybe they actually determine this based on actual skill and ability to play the TE position? Many TEs are glorified WRs these days -- just big dudes who line up wide and never block. Is there any doubt that many pro scouts probably consider ASJ the most talented pure TE in the upcoming draft? The thing that interests me is that this award is voted on by a selection committee versus the newspaper guys who are sold on nothing but stats. I can see that kind of group voting based on who they "feel" is the best TE rather than the one who had the most receptions on paper.

thaima1shu

Reaction score
DavidSeven":29yjq0so said:
Maybe they actually determine this based on actual skill and ability to play the TE position? Many TEs are glorified WRs these days -- just big dudes who line up wide and never block. Is there any doubt that many pro scouts probably consider ASJ the most talented pure TE in the upcoming draft? The thing that interests me is that this award is voted on by a selection committee versus the newspaper guys who are sold on nothing but stats. I can see that kind of group voting based on who they "feel" is the best TE rather than the one who had the most receptions on paper.

A good point. The Mackey Award does list the following as criteria:

"For John Mackey Award (JMA) and Watch List consideration a player should be a “true tight end” in the style of John Mackey, play on the interior line with blocking responsibilities and possess the potential to play tight end on the professional level."

ASJ didn't have a great year receiving, but he was a pretty big part of blocking in the run game. I thought he did a great job blocking as TE.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Jace Amaro is a tight end in name only. What he really is is a big wide receiver in a pass-first spread offense. He rarely, if ever, lines up right next to a tackle.

HawkWow

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1y36x6rc said:

Most excellent.

The DUI kept his camp involvement to a minimum (if at all?) and that wasn't good considering we went to a different offense while his back was turned. That limited his targets, but also helped his blocking. There is no TE in the league more rounded, or better, than ASJ (IMO) and with that, he rightfully deserved the award. BUT.....it won't help him to fall to the Hawks so I'm not as happy about it as I typically would be. He's going to be a monster at the next level. No question.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Mackey award or not, I would've preferred he catch that seam pass on that last drive against Stanford.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1t4qbdm8 said:
Colt lyerla got robbed!

I take it back, I no longer want Seattle to sign Lyerla as a UDFA. J would likely drop another 500 Lyerla references by the time Colt is waived in late July.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
He's the best TE, but he certainly didn't have the best year.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Jace Amaro is about as much of a Tight End, as I am an NBA player. He's fools gold IMO. Some NFL team is going to completely overdraft this dude.

Now Eric Ebron...love that guy, but it is kinda cool to see ASJ win the award because he really is a complete TE. To his credit, ASJ really did become a very good blocker.