ASJ Wins Mackey Award

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
ASJ Wins Mackey Award
Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:14 am

Re: ASJ Wins Mackey Award
Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:53 am
  • Jace Amaro and Eric Ebron both had significantly larger impacts on games this year than ASJ did. I don't understand this one.

Sefarian-Jenkins: 33 catches, 413 yards, 12.5 ypc, 7 touchdowns
    Amaro: 98 catches, 1240 yards, 12.74 ypc, 7 touchdowns

Huh?

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:02 am
  • Throwdown wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000296497/article/mackey-award-goes-to-washingtons-austin-seferianjenkins

Deserved? He kind of had a down year to me this year.

Me too....I was underwhelmed but maybe my expectations were just too high for him.
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:03 am
  • I think it's more of a 'career achievement' award. Just like when Eifert won it last year over both ASJ and Ertz, when both had better numbers than him.
    thaima1shu
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:16 am
  • Doesn't make sense. There were other TEs like the aforementioned Amaro and Ebron who, at least statistically speaking, had far better years.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:28 am
  • Maybe they actually determine this based on actual skill and ability to play the TE position? Many TEs are glorified WRs these days -- just big dudes who line up wide and never block. Is there any doubt that many pro scouts probably consider ASJ the most talented pure TE in the upcoming draft? The thing that interests me is that this award is voted on by a selection committee versus the newspaper guys who are sold on nothing but stats. I can see that kind of group voting based on who they "feel" is the best TE rather than the one who had the most receptions on paper.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:40 am
  • DavidSeven wrote:Maybe they actually determine this based on actual skill and ability to play the TE position? Many TEs are glorified WRs these days -- just big dudes who line up wide and never block. Is there any doubt that many pro scouts probably consider ASJ the most talented pure TE in the upcoming draft? The thing that interests me is that this award is voted on by a selection committee versus the newspaper guys who are sold on nothing but stats. I can see that kind of group voting based on who they "feel" is the best TE rather than the one who had the most receptions on paper.

A good point. The Mackey Award does list the following as criteria:

"For John Mackey Award (JMA) and Watch List consideration a player should be a “true tight end” in the style of John Mackey, play on the interior line with blocking responsibilities and possess the potential to play tight end on the professional level."

ASJ didn't have a great year receiving, but he was a pretty big part of blocking in the run game. I thought he did a great job blocking as TE.
    thaima1shu
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:49 am
  • Colt lyerla got robbed!
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:28 pm
  • Jace Amaro is a tight end in name only. What he really is is a big wide receiver in a pass-first spread offense. He rarely, if ever, lines up right next to a tackle.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:17 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:Maybe they actually determine this based on actual skill and ability to play the TE position? Many TEs are glorified WRs these days -- just big dudes who line up wide and never block. Is there any doubt that many pro scouts probably consider ASJ the most talented pure TE in the upcoming draft? The thing that interests me is that this award is voted on by a selection committee versus the newspaper guys who are sold on nothing but stats. I can see that kind of group voting based on who they "feel" is the best TE rather than the one who had the most receptions on paper.

Most excellent.

The DUI kept his camp involvement to a minimum (if at all?) and that wasn't good considering we went to a different offense while his back was turned. That limited his targets, but also helped his blocking. There is no TE in the league more rounded, or better, than ASJ (IMO) and with that, he rightfully deserved the award. BUT.....it won't help him to fall to the Hawks so I'm not as happy about it as I typically would be. He's going to be a monster at the next level. No question.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:28 pm
  • Mackey award or not, I would've preferred he catch that seam pass on that last drive against Stanford.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:53 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Colt lyerla got robbed!

I take it back, I no longer want Seattle to sign Lyerla as a UDFA. J would likely drop another 500 Lyerla references by the time Colt is waived in late July.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:06 pm
  • He's the best TE, but he certainly didn't have the best year.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:09 pm
  • Jace Amaro is about as much of a Tight End, as I am an NBA player. He's fools gold IMO. Some NFL team is going to completely overdraft this dude.

Now Eric Ebron...love that guy, but it is kinda cool to see ASJ win the award because he really is a complete TE. To his credit, ASJ really did become a very good blocker.
    Mtjhoyas
    NET Starter

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:01 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information