Marcus mariotA announces he's not going pro

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13

• Does he not like money? Dumb move. He's going to Matt Barkley himself.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Smelly McUgly wrote:Does he not like money? Dumb move. He's going to Matt Barkley himself.

He likely would have been a top 3 pick based on athleticism and potential, but he's still got a lot to work on. He also just turned 20 so he's pretty darn young for a draft eligible plAyer. Hopefully he gets a nice insurance policy on himself.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Smelly McUgly wrote:Does he not like money? Dumb move. He's going to Matt Barkley himself.

I disagree. He's terrible against pressure and he's only a redshirt sophomore. The deck is stacked against him if he leaves early. This is the right decision.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Just saw it on Sportscenter. Instantly said to myself...I'll bet JSea is yelling: "Woohoo!!!".

Good for Mariota. Honorable move by a great kid who will benefit immensely with another year (if he remains healthy). The question now is: Can Marcus Mariota save UO from their downward spiral into the abyss?? ; )
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• After he destroyed Washington I thought for sure he was gone. That game was a masterpiece.

Then he got hurt. He already handled pressure poorly, and he can be a little inaccurate at times as well. At only the age of 20, there's plenty for him to work on. He's not ready for the NFL.

Grassu is back as well.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Does he not like money? Dumb move. He's going to Matt Barkley himself.

He likely would have been a top 3 pick based on athleticism and potential, but he's still got a lot to work on. He also just turned 20 so he's pretty darn young for a draft eligible plAyer. Hopefully he gets a nice insurance policy on himself.

My thoughts exactly. I would never discourage a high pick from turning pro but you don't want a 20 yr old kid, with a few blemishes (not many), being thrown to a team like the Jags. That gets him a payday...but not necessarily another thereafter.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Yeah, athletically he is ready for the NFL, but as a QB.....he still needs some work. His footwork needs some work which if he improves upon that, it will help his other slight problem, accuracy.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Good for Oregon, and hopefully he really really enjoys this year because his draft stock with more film will take a hit.
    drrew
    NET Starter

• good for him. Maybe get a degree too
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    RIP BFS. He was kind of a douche, but he was our kind of a douche.
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran

• “It is an honor to be a student at the University of Oregon and to have the opportunity to represent our institution on the football field alongside my teammates,” said Mariota on the school's website. “I look forward to earning my degree next year and to the rest of my career at this great University.”
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Too easy, just too easy
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Good. He needs another year.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• He said he's looking forward to 11 in a row.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• CPHawk wrote:He said he's looking forward to 11 in a row.

Might as well stay for his senior year too and make it an even dozen.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• He needed another year pretty badly. The 2013-2014 QB group is fairly stacked as well. Even if he fails to fix his issues next season, he probably won't be battling 3-4 other first round prospects in 2015.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• What was his turnover rate? Wasnt it really stellar? Very few picks?
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• Atradees wrote:What was his turnover rate? Wasnt it really stellar? Very few picks?

30 passing TD's, 9 rushing TD's and 4 interceptions. He did lose quite a few fumbles though. I think that's one area he needs to work on is being more secure with the ball when getting hit. He seems to fumble a lot more often then he should.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• With Mariota back that means UO returns 10 starters on the O, if you count Marshall(6 starts) and Hunt(6 starts). That should bode well for UO, because honestly the end of the year they looked like a young team who didn't know how to bounce back after the L at Stanford. On d UO returns 7, assuming Ifo leaves.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• I think this is the right move and don't see him becoming Barkley. He's too good and he'll have an even better year next year with maturity. Possible #1 overall pick in the '15 draft IMO.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:I think this is the right move and don't see him becoming Barkley. He's too good and he'll have an even better year next year with maturity. Possible #1 overall pick in the '15 draft IMO.

Only if Jameis Winston is in jail on those rape charges. Otherwise Winston goes 1st and Mariota 2nd most likely.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:I think this is the right move and don't see him becoming Barkley. He's too good and he'll have an even better year next year with maturity. Possible #1 overall pick in the '15 draft IMO.

Only if Jameis Winston is in jail on those rape charges. Otherwise Winston goes 1st and Mariota 2nd most likely.

Agree. I forgot about Winston.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Throwdown wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Does he not like money? Dumb move. He's going to Matt Barkley himself.

Too easy, just too easy

It writes itself.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Mariota did the right thing. He wasn't going early first round despite what Duck fans believe.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:Mariota did the right thing. He wasn't going early first round despite what Mock Draft Experts believe.

Fixed that for you.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:Mariota did the right thing. He wasn't going early first round despite what Duck fans believe.

Every single mock draft I've looked at the last month had him in the top 5, usually top 2. So don't act like its just duck fans that think this.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:Mariota did the right thing. He wasn't going early first round despite what Duck fans believe.

Every single mock draft I've looked at the last month had him in the top 5, usually top 2. So don't act like its just duck fans that think this.

I am a husky fan and think he would have gone in the first round for sure.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:Mariota did the right thing. He wasn't going early first round despite what Mock Draft Experts believe.

Fixed that for you.

The same mocks that had Barkley as tbe first pick? Or all the ones that nailed EJ Manuel being the only QB taken in the first last year?
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• bigtrain21 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:Mariota did the right thing. He wasn't going early first round despite what Duck fans believe.

I am a husky fan and think he would have gone in the first five for sure after watchimg them beat us down. Then i saw him against Stanford and Arizona the Dawgz against Arizona State and UCLA and realized we suck.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:Mariota did the right thing. He wasn't going early first round despite what Mock Draft Experts believe.

Fixed that for you.

The same mocks that had Barkley as tbe first pick? Or all the ones that nailed EJ Manuel being the only QB taken in the first last year?

You missed the point that it's not just Ducks fans. (I think he would've gone in the first because teams are so QB hungry, but I didn't like his chances in the NFL.) I left your first comment alone.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:

Fixed that for you.

You missed the point that it's not just Ducks fans. (I think he would've gone in the first because teams are so QB hungry, but I didn't like his chances in the NFL.) I left your first comment alone.

I said early first. I can't see any team wanting the first pick that needs a qb.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• I had Barkley slated for late rd 2. He can thank all former Trojan QBs for that. Not being sarcastic, in fact complimentary (to SC). They clearly max the potential of their QBs, hitting their ceiling by draft day, IMO.

My opinion differs from people in here on this year's QB crop. They know what they are talking about, I just disagree. My QBs in this draft, in order, would be

Bridgewater
    (Mariota)
    Carr
    Mettenberger, I would have above Carr, but don't know enough about the knee (atm).
    Winston, Whether found guilty or not, I would still be concerned about his character.
    Boyd
    Manziel

I would not want my team to pick Manziel to be my starting QB. Nothing personal or off-field related. I just doubt he will last. He thinks he's Favre with the tough QB attitude, he's not and will get pummeled at the next level early and often. But I wish him well and will enjoy watching his magic while it lasts.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Mariota can't wait to play in another Las Vegas Bowl.
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• ^ Most excellent.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Ifo Ekpre Olomu also announcing tomorrow that he's coming back to Oregon for another season. He was also expected to be a 1st round pick.

Now we just need DAT to decide to stay.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Yeah they need to put a year in to study for the Wonderlic test anyway. :)

Sounds like a great Christmas Gift for you J.

Will be good at least to see what Peterson can put together against a good Oregon team, at least we will know how far up the hill we need to climb at UW.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Mariota is not a starting QB in the NFL, even if he stayed in for another 4 years.
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

• Chukarhawk wrote:Mariota is not a starting QB in the NFL, even if he stayed in for another 4 years.

Give it up.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:32 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information